Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Gotta love those fundie xtians, making the planet smarter just by removing themselves from the gene pool ;)

A firm contender for a Darwin award for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Odhinn

"Four men have been held over the killing of an Indian police officer in mob violence that erupted after rumours spread that cows had been slaughtered.
    Subodh Kumar Singh was killed as police clashed with right-wing Hindu groups which said police failed to halt the killing of cows in Uttar Pradesh state.
    Cows are considered holy by India's majority Hindu population and many states have now banned cow slaughter."

"Many states, including Uttar Pradesh, have actively started enforcing bans on cow slaughter after the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) formed India's federal government in 2014."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46436569

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Giulia Grillo, the Minister of Health in the populist-led Italian government, has fired all thirty expert members of the country's Higher Health Council, which provides expert medical opinion to the Italian government, in order to "give space to the new".

Ms Grillo holds, for example, a variety of views on the efficacy of vaccines having, earlier this year, removed the necessity to vaccinate children, then rapidly reversing her position when the new school year saw a measles epidemic strike Italian schools.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/04/politically-motivated-italys-m5s-sacks-peak-board-of-health-experts
    https://www.newsweek.com/anti-vaccine-italian-government-sacks-entire-health-expert-board-1242759

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

Odhinn wrote: »
    "Four men have been held over the killing of an Indian police officer in mob violence that erupted after rumours spread that cows had been slaughtered.
    Subodh Kumar Singh was killed as police clashed with right-wing Hindu groups which said police failed to halt the killing of cows in Uttar Pradesh state.
    Cows are considered holy by India's majority Hindu population and many states have now banned cow slaughter."

"Many states, including Uttar Pradesh, have actively started enforcing bans on cow slaughter after the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) formed India's federal government in 2014."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46436569

A much bigger hazard in India
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Hindus

- But I'm sure you won't thank this post.
    That persecution/hate is just dandy isn't it ?

Type persecution of <x> into t'internet where <x> represents any sufficiently large population, and you get the same thing

Persecution of Muslims
    Persecution of Christians
    Persecution of atheists

What you're actually looking at is persecution of any minority by a majority, quite often a religious majority or racial majority who feel justified in their barbarism. Who'd be a hater?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Why would persecution of anyone be just dandy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Odhinn

...what are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6471059/Irish-lecturer-stabbed-death-Paris-insulted-Mohammed-says-Pakistani-killer.html

That poor man in Paris, killed because he insulted a fairytale prophet.
    Irish lecturer stabbed to death in Paris had 'insulted the Prophet Mohammed', says his Pakistani killer
    John Dowling, 66, stabbed to death outside the Leonardo de Vinci university
    Ali R., 37, was arrested at the scene and has admitted to killing the Irish lecturer
    The Pakistani national claims Dowling had ‘insulted the Prophet Mohammed'
    He also confessed he held a personal grudge against Dowling for failing him

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All gods and prophets are fictional (well, prophets existed I suppose but their belief that they were a messenger of a god were deluded)

You trying to make out that some deluded belief is better than another? It isn't, and deluded belivers in religion A will be assholes towards believers in religion B. Substitute any value of A and any value of B. A is taught from the cradle to hate B. And some still think religion makes people better people?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

All gods and prophets are fictional (well, prophets existed I suppose but their belief that they were a messenger of a god were deluded)

You trying to make out that some deluded belief is better than another? It isn't, and deluded belivers in religion A will be assholes towards believers in religion B. Substitute any value of A and any value of B. A is taught from the cradle to hate B. And some still think religion makes people better people?

that would have to be true, how could it not be? different beliefs lead to different actions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

eh .. how is he trying to make that out ??
    The story is a hazard of belief - that's it ... he was stabbed from a religious motive .... thats it!

But I guess putting a false narrative - it's a nice way so you don't need to thank the post.
    Imagine if he had been killed by some christian nutter ? - the post would have 20 thanks by now .... carry on "intellectuals" ...

TomSweeney wrote: »
    eh .. how is he trying to make that out ??
    The story is a hazard of belief - that's it ... he was stabbed from a religious motive .... thats it!

Not really though, is it? From the previous post;
    The Pakistani national claims Dowling had ‘insulted the Prophet Mohammed' He also confessed he held a personal grudge against Dowling for failing him

Looking a little deeper we see from the Irish Times
    Pascal Brouaye, the director of the university, told journalists at an impromptu press conference a few metres from the scene that the Pakistani student had been extremely unhappy when he was told that regulations prevented him repeating the year and that he had to leave the university.

and that the full quote from the original article was
    Now Ali R. – the Pakistani national under arrest for the killing – has confessed that he held a personal grudge against the teacher after failing his exams last year, and particularly hated Mr Dowling.
    But I guess putting a false narrative - it's a nice way so you don't need to thank the post.
    Imagine if he had been killed by some christian nutter ? - the post would have 20 thanks by now .... carry on "intellectuals" ...

Seems to me that religion wasn't the primary motive at all, but hey, don't let that interfere with your own anti-islamic narrative now will you. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

smacl wrote: »
    Seems to me that religion wasn't the primary motive at all, but hey, don't let that interfere with your own anti-islamic narrative now will you.
    There's two motives here. One is that Prof Dowling "failed the student" and the other is that he insulted Islam.
    Now given that loads of students fail their exams, and it's normally the students own fault, the first is not a great motive.
    And given that Pakistanis are known to get very upset about blasphemers and regularly kill them, the second motive would appear to be more significant.
    In reality the guy would have mixed the two motives together in his head. He would have used the blasphemy thing to justify the morality of the murder, in his own mind.

But as usual, SMACL seeks to deflect and to justify. He will do anything to excuse the despicable behaviour that stems from Islamic ideologies, and instead he prefers to continue lambasting the "racists" and the "Islamophobes".

recedite wrote: »
    There's two motives here. One is that Prof Dowling "failed the student" and the other is that he insulted Islam.
    Now given that loads of students fail their exams, and it's normally the students own fault, the first is not a great motive.
    And given that Pakistanis are known to get very upset about blasphemers and regularly kill them, the second motive would appear to be more significant.

In reality the guy would have mixed the two motives together in his head. He would have used the blasphemy thing to justify the morality of the murder, in his own mind.

But as usual, SMACL seeks to deflect and to justify. He will do anything to excuse the despicable behaviour that stems from Islamic ideologies, and instead he prefers to continue lambasting the "racists" and the "Islamophobes".

Rubbish. If you look at the many hundreds of school shootings in recent years, you see a very large proportion are committed by unhappy or disaffected students and ex-students and a notable absence due to angry Pakistanis getting upset about Islam being insulted. If you wanted to pick on killers of school children and teachers by nominal religion, Christians lead by a few orders of magnitude. The number of U.S. students killed in school shootings so far this year is greater than the number of U.S. military personnel who have been killed in combat operations (Source). But hey, those Muslims, real psychos huh Rec?

What have school shootings in the USA got to do with this?
    An Irish professor in France was stabbed in the chest and had his throat cut. It all seems a bit halal.

What have school shootings in the USA got to do with this?

1: Students, from your post, go to schools and colleges.

2: Search for school killings and you get campus shootings in the US, which is where the vast bulk of fatalities and serious injuries of this type occur.
    An Irish professor in France was stabbed in the chest, by his ex student, and had his throat cut.

FYP.
    It all seems a bit halal.

Strange place to find humour. Takes all kinds.

smacl wrote: »
    Strange place to find humour. Takes all kinds.
    I'm not laughing, are you?

I suppose you're going to say there is nothing at all about the method of killing that seems in any way connected with Islam, or any previous Islamic killings, or Islamic ritual slaughter.

And instead, you just deflect to American gun crime.

I'm not laughing, are you?

I suppose you're going to say there is nothing at all about the method of killing that seems in any way connected with Islam, or any previous Islamic killings, or Islamic ritual slaughter.

And instead, you just deflect to American gun crime.

So now it is a ritual killing? Seriously Rec? I assume you're able cite a bit of background on Islamic ritual slaughter as applied to people rather than food preparation to support your entirely bizarre statement above. Because there are no shortage of cases of pissed of students attacking teachers they despise, but I can't see any that involve killing them via Islamic ritual slaughter.

Pathetic, desperately trying to find any defence.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

An Irish professor in France was stabbed in the chest and had his throat cut. It all seems a bit halal.

He was stabbed several times in the chest and throat. If he had been stabbed by a non-Muslim, it would have been obvious that when you're stabbing someone who's facing you, the chest and throat are likely targets. But when it's a Muslim doing the stabbing, suddenly the victim "had his throat cut" and it's presented as "halal" and "ritual".

But I'm sure that has nothing whatsoever to do with prejudice.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what your point is, is there anyone on this forum who doesn't think that sharia law is abhorrent?

Life ain't always empty.

I'm not sure what your point is, is there anyone on this forum who doesn't think that sharia law is abhorrent?

no point - apart from this threads purpose - it is one of the many hazards of belief though yeah ?

Will we split hairs ?

no point - apart from this threads purpose - it is one of the many hazards of belief though yeah ?

Will we split hairs ?

Not you, but another recent recruit to this forum seems to think Hinduism is great and all other religions are bad.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can imagine a few are fans of the white flavour that sprouted out of the darkest depths of the Internet.

Poor lad

https://www.bbc.com/news/46548994

A monk meditating in a forest in the Indian state of Maharashtra has died in a leopard attack, officials say.

Rahul Walke had been "meditating under a tree" in the Tadoba forest, which is a protected tiger reserve, officials told PTI news agency.

Walke had been attached to a Buddhist temple which is inside the forest, but he had walked to a spot quite far away from it to meditate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A monk meditating in a forest in the Indian state of Maharashtra has died in a leopard attack, officials say.
    Rahul Walke had been "meditating under a tree" in the Tadoba forest

In fairness, we all have to go somehow, and this would look good on a headstone.

"Here lies Zube, killed by a leopard while meditating beneath a tree".

Killed by a tiger would have looked better.
    I reckon I'd have a fair chance of fighting off a leopard, but then I'm not a vegan buddhist monk.

Still, it could have been worse; "Killed by a Honey badger" or "Hunted down by a sloth".

The Tadoba reserve is home to an estimated 88 tigers. It is also home to a large variety of other animals, including leopards, sloth bears, hyenas and honey badgers.

Still, it could have been worse; "Killed by a Honey badger"

I'm guessing you haven't seen a honey badger in action. Here's one getting attacked by a bunch of lions;

As for fighting off a leopard, unless you were armed, I wouldn't much fancy your odds there either.

• Advertisement

Catholic Archbishop: If Your Religion Contradicts the Law, Ignore the Law

Allahu Akbar! Kill the infidel! It's only a law, right?

Life ain't always empty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement