Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I got 255Mb/s on WiFi on an eir 300Mb connection using the HG659 which is what Vodafone have been using.

iPhone 7 on 5GHz, 80MHz channel with a short guard interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Technique

Technique wrote: »
    I'm just getting used to it so bear with me.

The only 802.11ac device I've got is my laptop. I'm getting 20Mbps on WiFi and 550 Mbps on ethernet.

I'm not sure if that's 2.4 or 5GHz.

It's a 1000Mbps package.

Ok, I connected to 5GHz,, getting 220Mbps standing next to the router with my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g0g

Major work installing infrastructure in parts of Bray earlier this week. Power off on our road for 8 hours so the cables could be run along the road and connector cables to houses. Impressive job with I reckon 20+ vehicles (incl lots of cherry pickers) and 40+ people!

Just need to wait now for it to be hooked up and house installs, but I'm guessing a few more weeks/months yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Guys thanks for you reply's, i really appreciate it.

I know theres lots of factors in what im asking, but just wanted to know if you could get 400 or 500mb on a speedtest using the new vodafone modem, like i can get on the digiweb fritzbox (friends house). The fritzbox is like 200 euro to buy where as if the new gigabox modem got good general 5ghz speeds then i could get it from vodafone for free.

Currently with my HG659, i cant get more than 150mb on wifi with any of my devices. But on ethernet i can get 940mb.

GIMickey wrote: »
    Guys thanks for you reply's, i really appreciate it.

I know theres lots of factors in what im asking, but just wanted to know if you could get 400 or 500mb on a speedtest using the new vodafone modem, like i can get on the digiweb fritzbox (friends house). The fritzbox is like 200 euro to buy where as if the new gigabox modem got good general 5ghz speeds then i could get it from vodafone for free.

Currently with my HG659, i cant get more than 150mb on wifi with any of my devices. But on ethernet i can get 940mb.

Well I've proved that you should get at least 255Mb on the HG659 in ideal conditions (there are no other 5GHz networks around me) but that is yet another factor to consider. Have you run a WiFi scan in your home to see neighbouring networks and the channels they are using? Buying an expensive router may do nothing for you if there are a lot of competing networks around.

Try WiFi analyser on Android or Netspot on Windows/Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ok, I connected to 5GHz,, getting 220Mbps standing next to the router with my laptop.

What sort of laptop are we talking? Even your wired speeds are pretty low. I've got a Thinkpad X1 Yoga with an i7 dual-core and i do see near enough to 890-930 Mbit/s on wired speedtests.

Also, when you test, make sure you test to one of the following 3 servers on speedtest.net : Blacknight (Carlow), Airwire (Galway), Northwest Broadband (Sligo).

Those three are known to have 10 Gbit/s uplink. Others may only have 1 Gbit/s or less, so speedtests on a 1 Gbit/s FTTH line would be flawed.

Don't use fast.com (Netflix) as they recently have massive bandwidth issues themselves and the results are all over the shop.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Technique

With Airwire I'm getting 220, Blacknight gives me 215, and with Northwest Broadband 190. All with the laptop less than a meter from the router

Through ethernet I'm getting 550, 540 and 570 respectively.

My laptop is a HP EliteBook 840 G3. My wireless card is a Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260. Ethernet is Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM. Processor is i5 6300U.

Should I be getting better results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

With Airwire I'm getting 220, Blacknight gives me 215, and with Northwest Broadband 190. All with the laptop less than a meter from the router

Through ethernet I'm getting 550, 540 and 570 respectively.

My laptop is a HP EliteBook 840 G3. My wireless card is a Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260. Ethernet is Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM. Processor is i5 6300U.

Should I be getting better results?
    I have the same 8260 card myself and have had no speed issues. This might help.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/109095

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe someone on this thread will be able to answer this .....

Are Vodafone now providing connections on eir FTTH?

A relative in Ennis, Co. Clare tells me he has been offered FTTH from Vodafone on an existing eir FTTH connection at, what seems to me to be a suspect low price.
    He told them he had some time to run on his contract and was told 'Vodafone will take care of that'.

He did not really believe the salesman having spoken to me, so rang Vodafone and got the same story.

Before he gets completely messed up I would like to get some solid information about this, if possible.

Anyone got up-to-date information on this?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Forget I asked ....... finally got an answer from a Chat session with Vodafone
    For Eir fibre to the home the plans are as follows,
    €25 per month for the first 6 months then
    €55 for 150GB,
    €65 for 300Mbps
    €90 for 1000Mbps
    there after
    with an 18 month contract
    and €99 install fee

Maybe someone on this thread will be able to answer this .....

Are Vodafone now providing connections on eir FTTH?

A relative in Ennis, Co. Clare tells me he has been offered FTTH from Vodafone on an existing eir FTTH connection at, what seems to me to be a suspect low price.
    He told them he had some time to run on his contract and was told 'Vodafone will take care of that'.

He did not really believe the salesman having spoken to me, so rang Vodafone and got the same story.

Before he gets completely messed up I would like to get some solid information about this, if possible.

Anyone got up-to-date information on this?

Thanks.

Ennis is SIRO enabled. Vodafone offer FTTH on SIRO in Ennis. If you have the Eircode, you can check on the Airwire checker. That covers SIRO for Ennis also.

Vodafone do not offer OpenEIR FTTH. And there are places in Ennis where you can get both OpenEIR FTTH and SIRO FTTH. At least 3 or 4 estates.

/M

• Advertisement

Forget I asked ....... finally got an answer from a Chat session with Vodafone

That might be better in the OpenEIR FTTH thread than here in the SIRO thread.

So they might have bit the bullet on that.

The 25 for the first 6 months is in line with their SIRO FTTH pricing. They still have a 1 TB FUP though. And their contention on their VDSL can be pretty bad.

/M

60754 FTTH connections at the end of Q2 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. Again the 10000 connections per quarter trend continues. Surprisingly there does not seem to have been a spike in connections due to the aggressive promotion of SIRO.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2018/

60754 FTTH connections at the end of Q2 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. Again the 10000 connections per quarter trend continues. Surprisingly there does not seem to have been a spike in connections due to the aggressive promotion of SIRO.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2018/
    Wasn't that a summer offer?

KOR101 wrote: »
    Wasn't that a summer offer?

No. The offer is available for 18 months, but can be cancelled earlier, if that decision is made. Some providers have announce more conservative dates.

However, every user signed up is guaranteed the reduced pricing for 18 months from installation. Disregardless is the offer ends or not.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No. The offer is available for 18 months, but can be cancelled earlier, if that decision is made. Some providers have announce more conservative dates.

However, every user signed up is guaranteed the reduced pricing for 18 months from installation. Disregardless is the offer ends or not.

/M

I think he might mean that the figures might not yet reflect the effect of the promotion. Do you know off hand what date the promotion began?

/M
    What month did the offer become available?

[edit] I mean the first connections under the offer.

KOR101 wrote: »
    What month did the offer become available?

[edit] I mean the first connections under the offer.

1st May apparently according to this so they had May and June for this set of figures.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106843186&postcount=4781

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

1st May apparently according to this so they had May and June for this set of figures.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106843186&postcount=4781

It was officially 1. May, but the date was pulled a bit forward, so the first connections under the amended pricing were ordered and installed in April.

It was officially 1. May, but the date was pulled a bit forward, so the first connections under the amended pricing were ordered and installed in April.
    The first I knew about it was your post. I sure there has been a surge in connections as it's such a great offer. If it doesn't show in the 3rd quarter figures, then I'm scratching my head.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No. The offer is available for 18 months, but can be cancelled earlier, if that decision is made.

For clarity: it's available to providers to offer to new and upgrading customers until November 20th, and it applies for a period of 18 month from the date each customer takes it up. So a customer who signed up for it in May gets the promotion until November 2019; a customer who signs up in October gets it until April 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭GPoint

GIMickey wrote: »
    Did you get the 1gb broadband with it, s there any chance you can you do a 5ghz WiFi speedtest on it. I've been told that they are trailing it but not giving it out on new orders.

I got Vodafone SIRO gigabit broadband installed few days ago.
    The modem that was installed was Vodafone Gigabox as discussed here.

Speedtest windows app reports speeds of 940Mb / 190Mb.
    Wifi from Motorola smartphone around 120Mb up and down.

Now, to the bad things.

Multiple disconnects, lost packets and reboots in the past 2 days.
    Modem few times just froze and would not reply to pings.

Vodafone Support think its a faulty modem and organized a replacement modem to be sent.

I quickly scanned this thread and saw people saying they are successfully using their own ASUS AC68U router, might resort to this option if replacement router won't fix my issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

We had Fibre with Eir but only got speeds of 40MB (on the 100MB package). So would anyone know if Fibre-to-the-Home would be any more/worth my time looking into? 1GB showing available in my city with Digiweb and Vodafone, but I read Digiweb is the better option. Or is that what it's even called?

As for the installation, if we already have Fibre with Eir, would it mean anything else needs to be done besides self-installation? Is it expensive? I watched some video on Open Eir (what even is that?) and it looked VERY involved. They were hanging from power lines and digging up ground. I think FTTH is different than what I want, but I don't know what 1GB Fibre is called, compared to 100MB Fibre. Sorry to be confusing.

I live in a city though and the electric box is around the corner, so I'm not sure if that changes things... It's not very clear by any of these providers how it's distinguished from 'regular' Fibre.

Thanks in advance!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We had Fibre with Eir but only got speeds of 40MB (on the 100MB package).

It is so incredibly tiresome that this misconception has been allowed to take root and flourish.

You didn't have fibre with eir. You had copper with eir. So-called "efibre" or "fibre to the cabinet" is a DSL technology, and it has more in common with dialup than it does with fibre to the home - you could just as legitimately call dialup "fibre to the modem".

I've even seen a case where someone migrated from Sky "fibre" to another provider's VDSL, and complained that he didn't have fibre anymore.

I'm not giving out to you for being lied to. I'm giving out about all the companies that have lied to you, and continue to do so, with the full connivance of this country's regulators. In France, it's illegal to market something as "fibre" unless there's a strand of actual glass all the way to the premises. In Ireland, the ASAI has made it abundantly clear that they're perfectly OK with blatant lies.

We had Fibre with Eir but only got speeds of 40MB (on the 100MB package). So would anyone know if Fibre-to-the-Home would be any more/worth my time looking into? 1GB showing available in my city with Digiweb and Vodafone, but I read Digiweb is the better option. Or is that what it's even called?

As for the installation, if we already have Fibre with Eir, would it mean anything else needs to be done besides self-installation? Is it expensive? I watched some video on Open Eir (what even is that?) and it looked VERY involved. They were hanging from power lines and digging up ground. I think FTTH is different than what I want, but I don't know what 1GB Fibre is called, compared to 100MB Fibre. Sorry to be confusing.

I live in a city though and the electric box is around the corner, so I'm not sure if that changes things... It's not very clear by any of these providers how it's distinguished from 'regular' Fibre.

Thanks in advance!

They have to get a new fibre cable into your home. Likely to involve drilling.

Most if not all ISPs are running promotions for SIRO currently. Prices are heavily discounted so it's a good time to buy if you want the service.

Digiweb is a 12 month contract with €49 activation fee.

https://www.digiweb.ie/product/electric-broadband-1000/

Vodafone is an18 month contract. I am unsure if they have any additional charges.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/siro-gigabit-broadband.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

They have to get a new fibre cable into your home. Likely to involve drilling.

Most if not all ISPs are running promotions for SIRO currently. Prices are heavily discounted so it's a good time to buy if you want the service.

Digiweb is a 12 month contract with €49 activation fee.

https://www.digiweb.ie/product/electric-broadband-1000/

Vodafone is an18 month contract. I am unsure if they have any additional charges.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/siro-gigabit-broadband.html

Thank you! I googled to try and find installation guides/videos but I was getting conflicting info and obviously rural location information. Glad to see it's not so difficult, or hopefully not...

50 euro is not bad at all. The same that VM would charge me for an engineer. for a subpar modem and service (in contrast). I can't wait to get in touch with Digiweb on Monday and hear from them. Thank you so much for this. Really reassured my decision/worry.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It is so incredibly tiresome that this misconception has been allowed to take root and flourish.

You didn't have fibre with eir. You had copper with eir. So-called "efibre" or "fibre to the cabinet" is a DSL technology, and it has more in common with dialup than it does with fibre to the home - you could just as legitimately call dialup "fibre to the modem".

I've even seen a case where someone migrated from Sky "fibre" to another provider's VDSL, and complained that he didn't have fibre anymore.

I'm not giving out to you for being lied to. I'm giving out about all the companies that have lied to you, and continue to do so, with the full connivance of this country's regulators. In France, it's illegal to market something as "fibre" unless there's a strand of actual glass all the way to the premises. In Ireland, the ASAI has made it abundantly clear that they're perfectly OK with blatant lies.

I appreciate all this information, it's very helpful. Maybe it's late and I should sleep (which I plan to do, but couldn't resist one last check for replies) but I want to highlight that your reply reads very pointed. Even with the 'not giving out to you' disclaimer.

Technically my house had fibre with Eir. That's what they call the service, so that's what I will too - to get the best answer for my question. Especially when the question highlights that I figure there's a difference between Eir's fibre and FTTH. I was just naming the service - not trying to pour Miracle Gro onto a misconception.

I may not be as knowledgeable as you on the matter, but I don't really enjoy being talked down to. I get that's likely not what you meant, but it reads patronising in parts. You can't just say all that stuff and shove in a 'none of this is directed at you', when it's a direct reply to my post. Wouldn't have read like a talking down if you had perhaps also taken time to answer any of my questions, instead of just taking my post as a chance to lecture.

My disclaimer: No hard feelings, but there's a way to share information without making the person feel like they're some fossil ringing up Eir's tech team asking how to send an email. Good night.

He wasn't talking down to you.

Eir calling VDSL fibre is a lie. That's a fact. And they should be prevented by law to do so.

It gives the wrong perspective, of what you're actually buying. You then referring to the same product as fibre again brings this misconception further to other people. It creates a ripple effect.

SIRO does however, apart from the piece of cat5 cable, that connects your router to the ONT, deliver true fibre all the way inside your home.

The funniest part of Eirs lie is, that it backfires for themselves. Because people, who don't know any better, can't see the difference from their "efibre" to the FTTH offerings. Apart from speed maybe. So when they try to upsell, that may not work out that well in the future for them.

/M

Yeah, there's the lying about 'unlimited' too. The regulators have lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thank you! I googled to try and find installation guides/videos but I was getting conflicting info and obviously rural location information. Glad to see it's not so difficult, or hopefully not...

50 euro is not bad at all. The same that VM would charge me for an engineer. for a subpar modem and service (in contrast). I can't wait to get in touch with Digiweb on Monday and hear from them. Thank you so much for this. Really reassured my decision/worry.

I appreciate all this information, it's very helpful. Maybe it's late and I should sleep (which I plan to do, but couldn't resist one last check for replies) but I want to highlight that your reply reads very pointed. Even with the 'not giving out to you' disclaimer.

Technically my house had fibre with Eir. That's what they call the service, so that's what I will too - to get the best answer for my question. Especially when the question highlights that I figure there's a difference between Eir's fibre and FTTH. I was just naming the service - not trying to pour Miracle Gro onto a misconception.

I may not be as knowledgeable as you on the matter, but I don't really enjoy being talked down to. I get that's likely not what you meant, but it reads patronising in parts. You can't just say all that stuff and shove in a 'none of this is directed at you', when it's a direct reply to my post. Wouldn't have read like a talking down if you had perhaps also taken time to answer any of my questions, instead of just taking my post as a chance to lecture.

My disclaimer: No hard feelings, but there's a way to share information without making the person feel like they're some fossil ringing up Eir's tech team asking how to send an email. Good night.

You were provided correct information in a non-confrontational manner and you chose to take offence.

That you intend to continue with the incorrect terminology says more about your attitude than anyone providing correct information to you of their own free will.

Hopefully you will reconsider your attitude after that sleep you so obviously needed.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

SIRO have announced, that the Cork rollout is starting, including with 10000 premises in Carrigtwohill, Midleton, Blarney, Tower and Charleville.

The announcement can be found on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SIROIreland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

SIRO have announced, that the Cork rollout is starting, including with 10000 premises in Carrigtwohill, Midleton, Blarney, Tower and Charleville.

The announcement can be found on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SIROIreland

65,000 to be passed in Cork City.

Advertisement