Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

kylith wrote: »
    What’s your opinion on me having no power to consent to or refuse procedures, or having no right to informed consent, or having no right to medical treatment until there is a real and substantial risk to my life, as opposed to my health?

Sure what would you want to be healthy for, you'd have a baby to occupy your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Can we dispense with the 'we can't stop women from travelling' for an abortion angle. This is absurd. No-one is calling for pregnancy tests at airports. You cannot prevent crime from happening but you can make it more difficult and prosecute people who still break the law.
    However there is no appetite to do this from anyone which makes a certain section of the population sad hypocrites.

Can we dispense with the 'we can't stop women from travelling' for an abortion angle. This is absurd. No-one is calling for pregnancy tests at airports. You cannot prevent crime from happening but you can make it more difficult and prosecute people who still break the law.
    However there is no appetite to do this from anyone which makes a certain section of the population sad hypocrites.

And there isn't another crime mentioned that women have a constitutional right to travel to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It is whataboutery in my eyes to raise the fact that something is legal elsewhere to be solely the determination of if something is to be legal in Ireland.
    If we take a principle of "if Irish people can get it elsewhere that is solely a good reason to allow it here" then should we allow prostitution (yes, and tax it too I say) , cannabis use (I actually think we should but that's beside the point), euthanasia or any multitude of laws where other countries' laws differe to our own.

Making drugs, euthanasia or brothels legal here wouldn’t force people to use them. People CHOOSE to do those things. Making them illegal hasn’t stopped people from doing/using them.

Making abortion legal here won’t force women into having them, only those that need them and CHOOSE to have them. However, making abortion illegal has forced women to go abroad and seek dangerous, unsupervised abortions without after care.

Abortion being illegal here puts the lives and healthcare of women in danger.

You're more open to legalising brothels and drugs than you are for the human rights of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

In law talk, please.

I'm surprised he has had so much time to post today and hasn't been busy lawyering in his law office doing the law things.

• Advertisement

erica74 wrote: »
    I'm surprised he has had so much time to post today and hasn't been busy lawyering in his law office doing the law things.

tenor.gif?itemid=10407243

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I've just had an x-ray cancelled for two weeks because of this amendment.

I'm clearly not pregnant but the only way round it is for a GP to do a test and sign a form. Like my mum signing a note for school.

This is my health we are talking about and I don't have the right to treatment. I am not even trusted to declare myself not pregnant.

REPEAL THE 8TH NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

https://www.newstalk.com/Master-of-the-Rotunda-Maternity-Hospital-warns-prolife-posters-factually-inaccurate

Master of the Rotunda Maternity Hospital warns pro-life posters 'factually inaccurate'

Professor Fergal Malone says the posters are causing “extreme distress” among pregnant women

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You know, Iona and the no to repeal crowd seem to think that it is a “certain type” of woman who procures a termination. You know, the “easy girl” the “sl*t”, the “town bike” etc. And the idea that they would just use it as a form of contraception. I doubt ANY woman takes the decision to have an abortion lightly.

Four women that I have known closely in my life have privately disclosed to me that they had terminations. And not one of them was in that supposed category - not by a long shot. It certainly opened up my eyes at the time.

It’s so easy to judge when the person doing the judging isn’t in any way affected. I’d wager that the daughters of some staunch no voters have had terminations in the UK and elsewhere when they were faced with a crisis pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

JupiterKid wrote: »
    You know, Iona and the no to repeal crowd seem to think that it is a “certain type” of woman who procures a termination. You know, the “easy girl” the “sl*t”, the “town bike” etc. And the idea that they would just use it as a form of contraception. I doubt ANY woman takes the decision to have an abortion lightly.

Four women that I have known closely in my life have privately disclosed to me that they had terminations. And not one of them was in that supposed category - not by a long shot. It certainly opened up my eyes at the time.

It’s so easy to judge when the person doing the judging isn’t in any way affected. I’d wager that the daughters of some staunch no voters have had terminations in the UK and elsewhere when they were faced with a crisis pregnancy.

I don't doubt it and the worst thing is they can't get support from their own family, they truly are alone when they have to travel it's so sad for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Shadowstrife

We have to remember as well, the women with severe health issues like dangerous blood pressure. For many women, going through labour can be fatal.

The No side love to paint a picture of pregnancy as a joyous occasion full of prancing bunnies and rainbows. In reality, pregnancy is always fraught with risk & complication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

With all due respect, this is a serious sweeping generalization.
    I will be voting no, but i would never consider any woman a slut or whatever
    name you wish to call them.This would never even enter my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Shadowstrife

AnneFrank wrote: »
    wrote: »
    I will be voting no, but i would never consider any woman a slut or whatever
    name you wish to call them.This would never even enter my mind.

But have you taken time to consider women in circumstances of terminal illness like cancer or severe blood pressure, fatal fetal conditions or victims of rape?

The 'No' vote is a vote of black & white absolutes. I would not call you names or make a false impression of you, but I would invite you to answer my above question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

We have to remember as well, the women with severe health issues like dangerous blood pressure. For many women, going through labour can be fatal.

I'm sure someone will be along to suggest that we just need to offer better support for pregnant women with dangerous health conditions, perhaps the state could offer to pay for their funerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

....... wrote: »
    But you dont trust women. These is a post of yours from the last thread.

I believe the world we see is a reflection of ourselves. If you are worried about what people might say about you its because you are someone who gossips about people, if you dont trust people its because you yourself are untrustworthy.

What do you think, buddy?

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make buddy,but I'm happy you're paying close attention to my posts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A group similar to, if not actually, ICBR had set up in Limerick today and as well as their disgusting posters were heard to be yelling ‘Don’t trust women!’

AnneFrank wrote: »
    ....... wrote: »
    But you dont trust women. These is a post of yours from the last thread.

I believe the world we see is a reflection of ourselves. If you are worried about what people might say about you its because you are someone who gossips about people, if you dont trust people its because you yourself are untrustworthy.

What do you think, buddy?

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make buddy,but I'm happy you're paying close attention to my posts

I am paying close attention.

You are voting no and are rem9ving my right to medical treatment.

You are telling me that the only way I can have an x-ray is to ask a doctor to prove I'm not pregnant. My word is not enough.

You - and other No advocates- are playing with my health and treating me like a child who cannot decide for myself and also starting from the premise that I am a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

To play devil's advocate ladies who match the "pro life" stereotype of what you describe and would be flippant about abortion probably don't deserve to be mothers and most certainly would not be bringing a child into the world with love.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JennyVin

Reading much misinformation on this board. Please inform yourself of the truth before you vote.
    Sir, – The recent inquest on Savita Halappanavar has raised important issues about hospital infection in obstetrics. Much of the public attention appears to have been directed at the expert opinion of Dr Peter Boylan who suggested that Irish law prevented necessary treatment to save Ms Halappanavar’s life. We would suggest that this is a personal view, not an expert one.

Furthermore, it is impossible for Dr Boylan, or for any doctor, to predict with certainty the clinical course and outcome in the case of Savita Halappanavar where sepsis arose from the virulent and multi drug-resistant organism, E.coli ESBL.

What we can say with certainty is that where ruptured membranes are accompanied by any clinical or bio-chemical marker of infection, Irish obstetricians understand they can intervene with early delivery of the baby if necessary. Unfortunately, the inquest shows that in Galway University Hospital the diagnosis of chorioamnionitis was delayed and relevant information was not noted and acted upon.

The facts as produced at the inquest show this tragic case to be primarily about the management of sepsis, and Dr Boylan’s opinion on the effect of Irish law did not appear to be shared by the coroner, or the jury, of the inquest.

Obstetric sepsis is unfortunately on the increase and is now the leading cause of maternal death reported in the UK Confidential Enquiry into Maternal Deaths . Additionally there are many well-documented fatalities from sepsis in women following termination of pregnancy. To concentrate on the legal position regarding abortion in the light of such a case as that in Galway does not assist our services to pregnant women.

It is clear that maternal mortality in developed countries is rising, in the US, Canada, Britain, Denmark, Netherlands and other European countries. The last Confidential Enquiry in Britain (which now includes Ireland) recommended a “return to basics” and stated that many maternal deaths are related to failure to observe simple clinical signs such as fever, headache and changes in pulse rate and blood pressure. Many of the failings highlighted in Galway have been described before in these and other reports.

The additional problem of multi-resistant organisms causing infection, largely as a result of antibiotic use and abuse, is a serious cause of concern and may lead to higher death rates in all areas of medicine.

Ireland’s maternal health record is one of the best in the world in terms of our low rate of maternal death (including Galway hospital). The case in Galway was one of the worst cases of sepsis ever experienced in that hospital, and the diagnosis of ESBL septicaemia was almost unprecedented among Irish maternity units.

It is important that all obstetrical units in Ireland reflect on the findings of the events in Galway and learn how to improve care for pregnant women. To reduce it to a polemical argument about abortion may lead to more – not fewer – deaths in the future. – Yours, etc,

Dr JOHN MONAGHAN, DCH FRCPI FRCOG Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, Portiuncula, Galway;
    Dr CYRIL THORNTON, MB BCh MRCOG, Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, Cork Clinic;
    Dr EAMON Mc GUINNESS, MB BCh MRCOG, Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, Mount Carmel Hospital, Dublin;
    Dr TREVOR HAYES, MB BCh FRCS MRCOG, Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, St Luke’s General Hospital, Kilkenny; Dr CHRIS KING, MB DCH MRCOG Consultant Obstetrician/ Gynaecologist, Letterkenny General Hospital;
    Dr EILEEN REILLY, MB ChB MRCOG, Consultant Obstetrician/ Gynaecologist, Galway Clinic;
    Prof JOHN BONNAR, MD FRCPI FRCOG, Prof Emeritus Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Trinity College Dublin;
    Prof EAMON O’DWYER, MB MAO LLB FRCPI FRCOG, Prof Emeritus Obstetrics & Gynaecology, NUI Galway;
    Prof STEPHEN CUSACK, MB BCh FRCSI, Consultant in Emergency Medicine, Cork University Hospital;
    Dr RORY PAGE, MB BCh FFA RCSI, Consultant Anaesthetist, Cavan General Hospital; Dr
    JAMES CLAIR, MB BCh PhD FRCPath, Consultant Microbiologist, Mercy University Hospital,
    Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

JennyVin wrote: »
    Reading much misinformation on this board. Please inform yourself of the truth before you vote.

What "much misinformation" have you read on this board?

Welcome to boards.ie

You left out this bit :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/letter-an-attack-on-my-professional-opinion-says-obstetrician-1.1379025

The obstetricians include three well-known anti-abortion figures - Prof John Bonnar, Prof Eamon O’Dwyer and Prof John Monaghan.

Dr JOHN MONAGHAN, DCH FRCPI FRCOG Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, Portiuncula, Galway;

Dr CYRIL THORNTON, MB BCh MRCOG, Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, Cork Clinic;
    Dr EAMON Mc GUINNESS, MB BCh MRCOG, Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, Mount Carmel Hospital, Dublin;
    Dr TREVOR HAYES, MB BCh FRCS MRCOG, Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist, St Luke’s General Hospital, Kilkenny; Dr CHRIS KING, MB DCH MRCOG Consultant Obstetrician/ Gynaecologist, Letterkenny General Hospital;
    Dr EILEEN REILLY, MB ChB MRCOG, Consultant Obstetrician/ Gynaecologist, Galway Clinic;

Prof JOHN BONNAR, MD FRCPI FRCOG, Prof Emeritus Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Trinity College Dublin;

Prof EAMON O’DWYER, MB MAO LLB FRCPI FRCOG, Prof Emeritus Obstetrics & Gynaecology, NUI Galway;

Prof STEPHEN CUSACK, MB BCh FRCSI, Consultant in Emergency Medicine, Cork University Hospital;
    Dr RORY PAGE, MB BCh FFA RCSI, Consultant Anaesthetist, Cavan General Hospital; Dr
    JAMES CLAIR, MB BCh PhD FRCPath, Consultant Microbiologist, Mercy University Hospital,
    Cork.

I recognised a name, Eamonn McGuinness.

He went to court to prevent two things happening before.

a) The first was to allow an abortion where there is a risk to a mother's life
    b) The second was to allow an abortion when the foetus was no longer viable.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/review-of-resolutions-on-abortion-refused-1.319188

And Dr James Clair is a regular on the Save the 8th/Iona literature.

What "much misinformation" have you read on this board?

Well for one- that it's about abortion.

I'm not pregnant. I've never wanted to be pregnant. The only way I could be pregnant is if the human gestation period has gone from 9 months to 143 months.

Yet the 8th is affecting me. It's about the health of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Men do not ever have to live with this dilemma EVER. They do not even have to know if the pills are taken or even if the woman has a positive. All OK after that? yup. Sperm donor does not have a clue.

That is why I look at for example the pic of the FF anti repeal crowd today. Four women only.

Anyway, terminations will continue ad infinitum with the pills. Who can stop that.

Women are the arbiters of this. If they don't want to abort they don't have to, but sometimes they have to in their own circumstances. Their bodies, their choice. And that will NOT change if there is a NO vote either.

Reading much misinformation on this board.

Please inform yourself of the truth before you vote.

We know the truth - Portiuncla is a slaughter house for newborns :

Issues at the hospital first came to light when it was noticed an unusually high number of babies were being sent to Dublin for Therapeutic Hypothermia (sometimes known as baby cooling), a treatment usually used in cases where babies were deprived of oxygen during birth.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/multiple-failures-identified-in-report-into-baby-deaths-at-galway-hospital-1.3482993

and like we've seen before :

The majority of the problems involved poor pre-natal assessment of the babies and a failure to quickly escalate the level of care when problems first presented

Hospital criticised for hiding information on babies’ deaths

Earlier this year the couple commissioned an independent medical expert to review Ms Reilly’s medical files as well as those of Asha and Amber. The expert concluded “the grossly substandard management” of Lorraine’s condition “ was responsible for the intrauterine death of Asha.”

Lorraine Reilly: “If we were told the truth, then there is no way we would have gone back to Portinuncula.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hospital-criticised-for-hiding-information-on-babies-deaths-1.3060593

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How does it compare to the blatant lies and misinformation on the anti-repeal side?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

This is not acceptable and typical of the brain washed obstinate abortion supporting side.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/992433880266412032

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Show me a man who has to take a pill, or go abroad for a FFA termination. There's your answer. So many men on on the NO side when they will never ever have to endure that decision. Feck off now.

Anyway I am loving the FF group against. Four women and many men. Feck that.

But I suppose it is for the country cousins. So they think. Their pulse should be on the current generation now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

indy_man wrote: »
    This is not acceptable and typical of the brain washed obstinate abortion supporting side.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/992433880266412032

Looks like a telephone/ESB pole - if it is, then they have no right to put the poster up.

Have you not got a comment on the young drag queen who was assaulted for wearing his repeal the 8th jumper?

That is not acceptable and typical of the brain washed obstinate forced birth supporting side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement