Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Christy42 wrote:
    We will throw the ball. Just not to our own players however.

But you won't be facing your own secondary
    So it's not all bad ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I really don't get that move, Bortles made a huge improvement last year but very much looks like he has hit his ceiling. To be fair, that ceiling is higher than most of us expected, but it's still just around the premium backup/decent stopgap starter (like a Fitzpatrick, McCown, Kaepernick, etc). He had some excellent games last year too, but at the end of the day he was summed up perfectly in the later part of the NE conference game where it was just 3-and-out, 3-and-out, 3-and-out over and over again (maybe I'm forgetting a first down or two, but it was still far from good enough).

That defense is right up there with the Bucs in the early 2000s, Seahawks in the early 2010s, and Broncos of the mid 2010s as being as good a defense as I've ever seen. Fournette looks to be a superstar RB, the guys behind him are solid too, they may not have an Antonio Brown but do have decent pass catching options and a much improved line last year. It's a shame because I just can't see them winning it all with Bortles, whereas Eli would have given them a better opportunity and Cousins would have been ideal and set them up at QB for a good 6-10 years to grow with that young team (so long as they could fit under the cap correctly - even if his red zone numbers aren't great, consistently getting them into FG range is enough for that defense to beat about anybody). Alex Smith had never even crossed my mind, but he would have been better than Eli and maybe even Cousins in my opinion, he just seems like he would fit their offense like a glove.

Huge, huge waste in my opinion. I'm guessing they draft a QB in the first 2-3 rounds and hope to develop them correctly rather than throw them into the fire as happened with Bortles and Gabbert before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,016 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A bit of fairness required here. Bortles certainly improved last year and he did so without his no.1 receiver for most of the year and his no.2 for a few games too. He didn't have a great cast of receivers for most of the year but he still got it done. A bit of good work in FA and he might well improve again.

And the deal he has been given is not hurting the team. He is helping them out with cap space this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'm so disappointed in the Jags. They should be going gung-ho in their efforts to sign Cousins or another, preferably, veteran QB. Instead they're resigning Bortles. Teams have won Superbowls with worse QBs I know, but in a completely different era. They're wasting a generational (in terms of the franchise) talent with that squad. If they don't suceed with Bortles, it'll be a long time before they have that talent - at that price - at their disposal again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's not a huge contract, doesn't prevent them drafting a QB this year or next to go alongside it.

He's the 17th QB by average salary - it's about right really after taking them to the championship game.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's not a huge contract, doesn't prevent them drafting a QB this year or next to go alongside it.

He's the 17th QB by average salary - it's about right really after taking them to the championship game.

He played a role in it alright, but he was a member of a team that went to the Championship game, he was definitely not the guy that 'took them there'.

It's not a huge contract but the point is, it's a huge lack of ambition by the looks of things on their end. With all that young talent they won't be able to keep that defense together for too long and they're deciding to make Bortles their signal caller for it rather than more talented guys with more experience (Eli, Alex Smith) or the upside to be even better again for a good 6-10 years (Cousins).

Resigning Bortles signifies to me that they're happy enough to battle for a playoff spot each year rather than doing all they can to win the Lombardi Trophy.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's not a huge contract but the point is, it's a huge lack of ambition by the looks of things on their end. With all that young talent they won't be able to keep that defense together for too long and they're deciding to make Bortles their signal caller for it rather than more talented guys with more experience (Eli, Alex Smith) or the upside to be even better again for a good 6-10 years (Cousins).
    I'm assuming you'd have liked to cut him and just go shopping for a QB? Cousins?

If you're keeping him, Bortles contract frees up 2018 cap space for the Jags if they want to go after Cousins. On his old deal his cap hit was $19m for '18, now it's $10m.

Previously they'd Bortles for $19m for 1 year, his new contract is $26m for 2 years, and can let him walk then. Worst case scenario you've Bortles as your backup in 2019 for $7m.

I'm not a Jags fan but think it's a good deal for you, he's now cheaper for the next 2 years, so either a cheap starter or a non-prohibitive backup.

I'd be a Packers fan, but had a soft spot for the Jags since the Brunell/Fred Taylor days.

I'm a bit lost on the numbers though - if he had one year at $19mn remaining, and now has a two year deal that pays $7mn next year, isn't he then still on $19mn this year? If that's the case surely it's flat out not possible for them to spend another $20mn+ on a second QB this season?

To me it pretty much rules them out of Cousins and Eli by default though, neither are going to want to be battling with another guy for a starting spot - Manning being right toward the end of his career and Cousins having been d*cked about for years on end - which is exactly what this new contract seems to signify and is likely the message it will send them. Their best bet in my opinion was to see if they could bait anything from him on a trade (even a 5th rounder or whatnot), and failing that just letting him go.

Why on earth would you want to drop Bortles and take Eli?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why on earth would you want to drop Bortles and take Eli?
    Because he's far more experienced including in the playoffs where he has shown he can get it done very well in the playoffs as a two time Superbowl MVP. And because he's a better QB. I've been a Bortles defender for a few years, but in an ideal setup like he had last year he showed his ceiling, while higher than most expected, seems to be around the stopgap starter/high end backup level.

The only two downsides to having Manning in place of Bortles are 1) losing the scrambling ability, and 2) he's well up in years - so draft someone to develop behind him. Though he turns 38 on Wednesday, which makes it more touch and go - I had him at recently going 36 in my head for some reason.

Smith and Cousins were far and away their best two options to my mind, but the first is gone and now they've like ruled themselves out of the second also (as well as Manning).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

2nd and 4th for Peters

Absolutely shocking deal for us

We've been rightly mugged off here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Patww79 wrote: »

Yup 2019

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/968192854957936640

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Patww79 wrote: »

2018 4th & 2019 2nd for Peters & 2018 6th.

There was apparently barely any interest in him from any other team. Surprising or telling that Browns and Colts both now having former Chiefs office staff and have needs at CB but didn't try to get in there.

2nd and 4th for Peters

Absolutely shocking deal for us

We've been rightly mugged off here

Very true but the Chiefs had no bargaining power as it was clear as day they wanted shot of him. Arguably the best CB in the league but his character issues were starting to shine through. Same sh1t he pulled on the field in December he did throughout his college career. Gives you a couple of solid years and then becomes a dick and acts out like a child. Which is a shame because the guy is fantastic player

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Very true but the Chiefs had no bargaining power as it was clear as day they wanted shot of him. Arguably the best CB in the league but his character issues were starting to shine through. Shame **** he pulled on the field in December he did throughout his college career. Gives you a couple of solid years and then becomes a dick and acts out like a child. Which is a shame because the guy is fantastic player

Great post

With that being said, I'd have kept him for 2 years and let him walk for nothing

Great post

With that being said, I'd have kept him for 2 years and let him walk for nothing

He wasn't going to last another 2 years though. He would have thrown his toys out of his pram a few more times gotten disgruntled and then the Chiefs have a wasted roster spot and nothing to show for it. Best to cut your loses get something for him and move on.

Mad thing is also the Rams apparently were the only team that showed any interest.

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    He wasn't going to last another 2 years though. He would have thrown his toys out of his pram a few more times gotten disgruntled and then the Chiefs have a wasted roster spot and nothing to show for it. Best to cut your loses get something for him and move on.

Mad thing is also the Rams apparently were the only team that showed any interest.

I'm just massively underwhelmed - expected a hell of a lot more.

Our secondary was already sh*te with Peters IN IT, I dread to think what it's gonna be like now.

Fuller is a bright prospect but Amerson should have been sent to the glue factory

Billy86 wrote: »
    Because he's far more experienced including in the playoffs where he has shown he can get it done very well in the playoffs as a two time Superbowl MVP. And because he's a better QB. I've been a Bortles defender for a few years, but in an ideal setup like he had last year he showed his ceiling, while higher than most expected, seems to be around the stopgap starter/high end backup level.

The only two downsides to having Manning in place of Bortles are 1) losing the scrambling ability, and 2) he's well up in years - so draft someone to develop behind him. Though he turns 38 on Wednesday, which makes it more touch and go - I had him at recently going 36 in my head for some reason.

Smith and Cousins were far and away their best two options to my mind, but the first is gone and now they've like ruled themselves out of the second also (as well as Manning).
    Last season Eli Manning had a 6.1 yard average with a 61.6% completion rate for 3468 yards with 19 tds and 13 ints over 15 games.
    Bortles averaged 7 yards per pass with a 60.2% completion record for 3687 yards with 21 tds and 13 ints.

Also Manning had OBJ for four games, he had Shepard, Marshall and Engram.

Bortles had Marquise Lee, he had an injured Allen Hurns for 10 games and then a bunch of nobodies. Allen Robinson missed the whole year.

One is on the slide and the other has improved. You stick with Bortles if you have the choice.

Cousins is a talented QB and would almost certainly improve the Jags but they have no chance of keeping any of the star players on that defense if they pay him the money. Their best option is to draft a QB this year and again next year if it doesn't work out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cycling home this evening through donnybrook, guy on the other side wearing a full on Saints helmet, about 5 people stopped to watch aswell.
    No idea how he was able to see where he was going it was bobbling all over the place.

Mad

Last season Eli Manning had a 6.1 yard average with a 61.6% completion rate for 3468 yards with 19 tds and 13 ints over 15 games.
    Bortles averaged 7 yards per pass with a 60.2% completion record for 3687 yards with 21 tds and 13 ints.

Also Manning had OBJ for four games, he had Shepard, Marshall and Engram.

Bortles had Marquise Lee, he had an injured Allen Hurns for 10 games and then a bunch of nobodies. Allen Robinson missed the whole year.

One is on the slide and the other has improved. You stick with Bortles if you have the choice.

Cousins is a talented QB and would almost certainly improve the Jags but they have no chance of keeping any of the star players on that defense if they pay him the money. Their best option is to draft a QB this year and again next year if it doesn't work out.
    Bortles had good talent around him last year - I wouldn't go calling Leonard Fournette a nobody and they have depth there in Yeldon and Ivory, and he had a better line. Having perhaps the best running game in the league makes life a lot easier for a QB, rather than the 7th-worst Manning had, especially when in the lead very often with the league's second best defense for points allowed (easily #1 when you factor in defensive TDs) and the third highest turnover percentage and second most takeaways total to help field position, as opposed the defense with the 7th most points allowed and ranking bottom 10 in turnovers and turnover percentage. This is why Eli was just 10 pass attempts off most in the league last year (3rd total) despite missing a game and the Giants had the fourth highest pass play ratio of offense, while Bortles wasn't in the top 10 for attempts and the Jags had the lowest pass play ratio in the entire league.

Keelan Cole was also more impressive last year than any Giants player on offense.

The Giants were a complete mess last season - the 2009 Vikings could easily have said the same about a 39/40 year old Brett Favre after his season with the Jets before that, and that is what Manning would basically be doing in Jacksonville, game managing, giving ample experience, and making the big plays when needed under pressure (like some of those third downs late vs the Pats). That said, Eli being 38 vs 36 does change the situation somewhat there. Especially as the Jags don't appear to have any particularly important players up for FA this year or next (bar Lee/Robinson at WR, so keep one and let the other go most likely).

I do agree though if they don't manage to land Cousins and since they passed on Smith that a QB in the first 3-4 rounds (pref. 1st or 2nd if someone falls to them) is something they can't look beyond. But to say a team with a star QB cannot have any star players elsewhere on the field is incorrect - it would make the cap situation a hell of a lot more difficult but that can be managed around and a QB is more important than any other position. By the looks of it, their current cap space for 2018 is actually just over $30mn.

How about Bortles made Keelan Cole look better than the average player that he is.

Also you are now defending Eli by blaming the players around him. How good was the Jags line is pass protection last season? Not very is the answer but Bortles still did a decent enough job. In the playoffs he was even better and in the AFCCG he was sacked three times which ultimately cost them the game.

How about Bortles made Keelan Cole look better than the average player that he is.
    Well then we'll just say that about every WR Manning has, won't we? And how come we've not seen Bortles make all his other options look this good?

Also to add, Keelan Cole had the second highest YAC per catch of any WR or TE with 40+ catches in the entire league.
    Also you are now defending Eli by blaming the players around him.
    Yeah, I don't subscribe to this "an NFL team is a QB + 52" concept... of course the players around the QB matter. That was actually one of the main points of your last post? :confused:
    How good was the Jags line is pass protection last season? Not very is the answer
    Fifth best as per FO - http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol . There was quite a bit noted by journalists and commentators last year about their improvement.
    but Bortles still did a decent enough job.
    He did, the improved offensive line that got a good deal of attention last year also helped, but getting out of the pocket to scramble is one area Bortles has been underrated in his career.
    In the playoffs he was even better and in the AFCCG he was sacked three times which ultimately cost them the game.
    Meanwhile, what actuallyt cost them the game was changing their coverages late on which Brady was able to take advantage in a huge way, and the run game getting stuffed forcing Bortles to keep up without a dominating run game, which he wasn't able to do.

Against the Steelers he had 214 passing yards and 1 TD... not bad, but that's not why his team put up 45 points.

Against the Bills... well how quickly some forget. His 88 scrambling yards made much of the difference in the end, but he only had 87 passing all game.

Let's not pretend he had some excellent showing in the playoffs. He did decent, and like much of the season better than was expected for sure, but he was not close to anything special and the team around him is what was winning the Jags games this year (because yes, it is a team sport).

In the playoffs he was even better has been turned into excellent by you. In fact a lot of what I say gets hyperbole treatment by you.

It's pointless continuing to try and discuss this with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭nerd69

Iv never been elis biggest fan but right now he's a better qb than bortles at least with him you can throw the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

In the playoffs he was even better has been turned into excellent by you. In fact a lot of what I say gets hyperbole treatment by you.

It's pointless continuing to try and discuss this with you.

So three games > 16 games or maybe the past 3 seasons before.....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Foxtrol wrote: »
    2018 4th & 2019 2nd for Peters & 2018 6th.

If I managed to get that trade from the Rams POV in Madden I would be delighted. Bargain.

From Twitter:

Bortles turns 26 in April, has 90 TD's and 14,900 passing yards.

Only 4 QB's in history have surpassed that by age 26:
    Peyton, Bledsoe, Marino, Stafford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

nerd69 wrote: »
    Iv never been elis biggest fan but right now he's a better qb than bortles at least with him you can throw the ball

Really? What of last years stats tell you this? I mean Eli has been in decline for a number of years tbf. Last year he had more passing attempts than bortles yet finished up with less yards.

Bortles certainly isn't GOAT but it is nonsense to suggest that a weakening Eli would give the Jags a better chance at a superbowl when Bortles got them to a championship game and but for some suspect play calling could have gotten them to the superbowl. The loss to thr Pats fall squarely at the coaches feet, not Bortles.

Sorry i should probably say they got there with bortles rather than he brough them there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement