Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light rail for Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Paddico wrote: »
    I hear plans are been drafted for the Micheal D space centre on Inis Oir as well.
    Day trips to the moon are been proposed

Have you ever considered a career as a comedian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Paddico

I wasnt been funny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Humria wrote: »
    The Gluas is never going to happen.

It always irritates me when I hear Catherine Connolly tout a light rail system as a means of reducing traffic congestion in Galway.

She spearheads a campaign to turn all the roundabouts into traffic lights, which has a devastating effect on congestion. Then, when asked about reducing congestion, she talks about a light rail system.

To me, that's like planning to eliminate your gambling debt by winning the lotto. It would be nice if it happened but it's very unlikely. In the meantime, the interest on your debt is increasing and you're not doing anything constructive about your problem.

She was a poor councillor and a worse TD, appointed her sister to take her place in the chamber ffs nepatism at its finest, where was the common good in that Catherine? (Her campaign slogan)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

She was a poor councillor and a worse TD, appointed her sister to take her place in the chamber ffs nepatism at its finest, where was the common good in that Catherine? (Her campaign slogan)

Whereisyourargument re the Light rail?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is not the place to take potshots at politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A "highly inefficient solution" say the National Transport Authority.

But if there's one thing recent political developments in the UK and USA have taught us is that these pointy-headed experts are best ignored...

Robbo wrote: »
    A "highly inefficient solution" say the National Transport Authority.

Density along the route is just not there. Galway City density has descreased by 50% since 1960 even though the Town/City has quadrupled in population. Estate sprawl and average family size would be factors in that however the NTA know that the City Ring Road is an ineffecient solution as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I've just come to the acceptance that no efforts will be made to fix the public transport in the next 20 years in Galway City. They can't even manage one bus service here properly, let alone another public transport operation. Any solution to fixing these problems just gets knocked back.

Is it true that the BE bus routes for Galway are actually set by people in Dublin, who just look at a map and dictate what way the routes go?

Praise be, logic has seen through!

Now, get the ring road built, QBC's on all arterial routes, pedestrianise most of the city center, develop permanent parkNrides, expand the bike share scheme, hike up the price of parking and cycle lanes on all roads.

There, that's Galway traffic fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

That Light Rail was never going to work.
    I would imagine a bypass would alleviate traffic on regular bus routes and make roads in the city safer for cyclists. It would probably do away with the scenario where people want to live on the side of the city they work on.

• Advertisement

sgthighway wrote: »
    That Light Rail was never going to work.
    I would imagine a bypass would alleviate traffic on regular bus routes and make roads in the city safer for cyclists. It would probably do away with the scenario where people want to live on the side of the city they work on.

I live on the side of the city I work in. Ballybrit Industrial Estate -> College Road. Often takes me over an hour to get home. it's 50-50 down to Bus Eireann and traffic.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I live on the side of the city I work in. Ballybrit Industrial Estate -> College Road. Often takes me over an hour to get home. it's 50-50 down to Bus Eireann and traffic.

Imagine a QBC from Eyre Square > College rd > Dublin rd (already there) > Ballybane > Ballybrit

you'd be looking at a 10 - 15 min journey as opposed to 50

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You could walk it in less. Where are the actual delays that you experience?

Is it true that the BE bus routes for Galway are actually set by people in Dublin, who just look at a map and dictate what way the routes go?
    Pretty much, ya NTA took over as the Council and Bus Eireann were doing nothing on it for decades.

Mainly waiting for a bus to arrive, then leaving the industrial estate ( to be expected to be fair) and then just sitting on the Tuam Road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

IMHO she is a good lawyer, was a good councillor, and a good TD.

Impressive at the various Committee hearings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You'd cycle it in ten minutes, I travel from the East side to city centre, bus takes maybe 15-20 most days in, 15-30 out. Cycle it in 12 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭xtradel

You'd cycle it in ten minutes, I travel from the East side to city centre, bus takes maybe 15-20 most days in, 15-30 out. Cycle it in 12 minutes.

Does this thread say Bike or Walk for Galway???? Seriously in this day & age is it too much to expect a vehicle to pick you up within a fair range from your desired pick up point and drop you off within a fair range from your desired drop off point for a fair price too much to ask for without people spouting stoneage ****e about walking, cycling etc.

I deliver in a truck for a living.....should I really use a donkey instead????

How do you come to the breakdown of 50/50 ? Is it just on this #405 route? Bus Eireann themselves have said that in 2017 year the peak hour disruptions have increased to about 2 hours in the morn and 3 hours in the afternoon evening due to all the car traffic on the network. Only 10% of current City Bus Network has bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

xtradel wrote:

Nah, use the light rail system mate. The thread title doesn't say donkeys* for Galway.

*unless you are planning on using a Conneely??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

xtradel wrote: »
    Does this thread say Bike or Walk for Galway???? Seriously in this day & age is it too much to expect a vehicle to pick you up within a fair range from your desired pick up point and drop you off within a fair range from your desired drop off point for a fair price too much to ask for without people spouting stoneage ****e about walking, cycling etc.

Tis a bit outrageous to suggest people use more sustainable modes of transport alright. Very stone age indeed.
    Also nobody is suggesting that someone who drives for a living should change their mode of transport! You must be in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Common sense has prevailed. It was a pie in the sky idea.

I've just come to the acceptance that no efforts will be made to fix the public transport in the next 20 years in Galway City. They can't even manage one bus service here properly, let alone another public transport operation. Any solution to fixing these problems just gets knocked back.

In the last 10 years, the public transport system in Galway has improved considerably:

Route 9 (now called 409) was introduced in (I think) 2009. Before that, the Doughiska area was barely served, and Parkmore had about two factory buses each day. It's now one of the best routes in the country.

All bus routes were overhauled in 2012. Timetables and routes were simplified. Some frequencies increased. The through-routes between south Knocknacarra and Merlin Park, and north Knocknacarra and Ballybane (via GMIT) were introduced. Both of these (402 and 405) are very busy and get a lot of use. The Oranmore bus was made into a city service, and later became a through route with Newcastle.

Bus shelters started to be installed. (Hardly revolutionary, I know. But still a big step forward from what was there before. And they make a huge difference.)

Real time passenger info displays were installed. (Yes, I know there are still accuracy issues - but again, it's a major step to have the infrastructure there.)

The completion of the Dublin - Galway motorway made express buses possible: you can now get city-centre to city-centre in 2.5 comfortable hours.

A city-wide bicycle-hire service has started. This needs to grow some more, for sure, but starting was an achievement.

A short-notice, short-term car hire service has started operating here. (Yes, this is part of the public transport system: it's transport using a vehicle that you don't own. And it makes it possible for some families to get rid of their 2nd car.)

The www.a-b.ie website has been set up, as a central place to look up public transport service information. A lot of public transport data has been shared with Google too, so you can get int from Google Maps.

There were various other changes too, but those are the biggest-ticket ones I can think of right not. If all that can happen in just 10 years, then I'd expect things to get a lot better again in the next 20 years.

Re the point about routes being set by people in Dublin: Yes, the NTA, which approves licenses for bus routes, is based in Dublin. And yes, they aren't legally required to consult about route changes. However they did consult the council about the route changes in 2012, and there were changes made based on this. And they do talk to bus companies about routes, too: there's no point licensing a route which no company is willing to operate!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

This decision is a good thing if it stops time and money being wasted on something that will probably never happen. I don't know what the solutions to Galway's traffic problems are, but I can't see it improving with out a modal shift away from the car. Those continue to drive would benefit from this too, but for some reason motor commuters almost always close ranks when taking a little bit of space for buses or bikes from cars (even parked cars) is suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not even news really, the NTA has always had that opinion, and it was said multiple times by various agencies during the development of the bypass that Light Rail was not a realistic proposal.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

I see catherine connolly is still talking about petitions as evidence of demand for this. That isn't the sort of demand that wins arguments on public transport provision, it's how many trips would actually use the service and as it stands the numbers don't add up. Isn't it something like the project demand being only a third of the capacity of a light rail system?

In the last 10 years, the public transport system in Galway has improved considerably:
    I think 10 is strectching it, 5 years? The big change in takeup of bus has been since 2012 as you pointed out re timetable change - and this was pretty much down to the NTA pushing for these changes as they could see the stats for Galway City and other regional Citys was appalling.

I think 10 is strectching it, 5 years? The big change in takeup of bus has been since 2012 as you pointed out re timetable change - and this was pretty much down to the NTA pushing for these changes as they could see the stats for Galway City and other regional Citys was appalling.

2018 - 2012 = 6.

I'm saying 10 'cos I've been here just over 10 years, so it's an easy frame of reference for me, and I've been running a blog listing changes since 2010.

Do you remember how the timetable used to be communicated? A small printed booklet, available from the bus-station and only when they were in stock. Seriously short on detail. I'm not sure exactly when city timetables went up on BE's website but it was earlier than 2012, 'cos I had to change a bunch of links to them when the times and numbers changed.

I'm not sure that it matters who exactly pushed for the changes. We have a PT system, and there will always be multiple parties encouraging change, and also resisting it. That's just how systems work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Do you remember how the timetable used to be communicated? A small printed booklet, available from the bus-station and only when they were in stock. .

Haha I remember that back in 03 and the monthly bus pass printed on some cheap coloured cardboard that any student could copy once you knew the colour for that month!

• Advertisement

2018 - 2012 = 6.

I'm not sure that it matters who exactly pushed for the changes. We have a PT system, and there will always be multiple parties encouraging change, and also resisting it. That's just how systems work.

Well its only turned 2018, but for me its only since those 2012 changes have I seen a big change in bus patronage on the City services.

I would disagree with your point about who made these changes happen, if an outside organisation has to step, it says alot about the culture within City Hall but also the funding of it and where that limited funding goes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement