Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light rail for Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

dave 27 wrote: »
    Theres plans for over half a billion to be spent on a stupid ring road due to the horrifically bad planning which resulted in this, now before the road is even started they want a tram system too? Theres no way this would happen, far too much money being spent in too small an urban area with next to no density.

The people who work in the consultancy designing the N6 scheme don't actually believe that the ring road is worth while, but they are paid to produce a certain outcome. An improved bus and cycling network wouldn't even bring in a quarter of the money the bypass is bringing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

cgcsb wrote: »
    The people who work in the consultancy designing the N6 scheme don't actually believe that the ring road is worth while, but they are paid to produce a certain outcome. An improved bus and cycling network wouldn't even bring in a quarter of the money the bypass is bringing in.

That's a pretty damning statement to make with nothing to back it up.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    That's a pretty damning statement to make with nothing to back it up.

I know the people involved, obviously I'm not going to back it up. :rolleyes:

Is it not obvious that this bypass of a bypass lark is a failed policy. If it's failed everywhere else in the world why will it work in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

I know the people involved, obviously I'm not going to back it up. :rolleyes:

Is it not obvious that this bypass of a bypass lark is a failed policy. If it's failed everywhere else in the world why will it work in Galway?

This is precisely why Galway should not get a tram, without even a ringroad to alleviate the traffic, digging up the current roads to install a tram system would completely stop the city, look at Dublin when they were building the luas, it was a complete horror show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Your not wrong.
    Arup's manager of the project, Eileen McCarthy stated back in 2014 at a public consultation meeting on the Ring Road.
    "
    We can't keep building roads. Were just not going to get permission for another bridge and another bridge and another bridge,because we keep driving everywhere.
    "

• Advertisement

dave 27 wrote: »
    This is precisely why Galway should not get a tram, without even a ringroad to alleviate the traffic, digging up the current roads to install a tram system would completely stop the city, look at Dublin when they were building the luas, it was a complete horror show

Hardly a need for trams either, core bus corridors through the City on dedicated streets is sufficient, some park and ride facilities can be provided.

Your not wrong.
    Arup's manager of the project, Eileen McCarthy stated back in 2014 at a public consultation meeting on the Ring Road.
    "
    We can't keep building roads. Were just not going to get permission for another bridge and another bridge and another bridge,because we keep driving everywhere.
    "

I don't expect the road element to go ahead, nobody believes in it. The objections to this bypass are many times more numerous than the last project. As for the gluas, well there'll be an announcement in a few weeks on the Cork luas scheme, but I think Galway has a lot more that can be done with the bus system yet. The bus corridor through the city centre laid out in the report recently will likely remove massive volumes of traffic from the City, the business case for the bypass and light rail will evaporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don't expect the road element to go ahead, nobody believes in it. The objections to this bypass are many times more numerous than the last project. As for the gluas, well there'll be an announcement in a few weeks on the Cork luas scheme, but I think Galway has a lot more that can be done with the bus system yet. The bus corridor through the city centre laid out in the report recently will likely remove massive volumes of traffic from the City, the business case for the bypass and light rail will evaporate.

But hasn’t the city manager Previously come out and said that none of these bus lane or cycle lane works can go ahead unless the bypass is built first?

It would seem some people in power, elected or otherwise, really don’t want to be proven wrong in the need for the bypass.

There won't be any light rail in Galway for the next 30 to 40 years. There just isn't the population or density of population, to justify it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

There won't be any light rail in Galway for the next 30 to 40 years. There just isn't the population or density of population, to justify it

I fully agree with you. I think there is huge scope for a full bus lane network citywide, which would be quite sufficient. If buses can consistently get around quicker than traffic, people will use them.

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »
    But hasn’t the city manager Previously come out and said that none of these bus lane or cycle lane works can go ahead unless the bypass is built first?

Probably but logic and observable facts would indicate otherwise.
    It would seem some people in power, elected or otherwise, really don’t want to be proven wrong in the need for the bypass.

I guess that's it, but ultimately I doubt this scheme will pass all the hurdles and will probably be defunded eventually.

Agreed there probably will be a case for luas in Galway, but not this side of 2040. There hasn't even been a serious attempt to make buses and bikes successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

There's a fear among some business owners that stopping cars coming into the city will stop people coming in, despite all research showing the opposite effect. Dunno how widespread it is, but things like that will feed into the politics of these decisions.

xckjoo wrote: »
    There's a fear among some business owners that stopping cars coming into the city will stop people coming in

You only need to point to Shop St to show that argument doesn't stack up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You only need to point to Shop St to show that argument doesn't stack up

Some of the older heads still believe it was the worst thing to ever happen to the city :D
    I'm only throwing out some anecdotal experience here but I'd say it is a factor. I can understand how someone would be afraid of losing their livelihood and worried about how change could impact their business. I'd say any business that isn't selling stuff that needs a car to move should benefit from increased footfall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's a fear among some business owners that stopping cars coming into the city will stop people coming in, despite all research showing the opposite effect. Dunno how widespread it is, but things like that will feed into the politics of these decisions.

Look at Athlone's first attempt at a one way system.

Some of the older heads still believe it was the worst thing to ever happen to the city :D
    I'm only throwing out some anecdotal experience here but I'd say it is a factor. I can understand how someone would be afraid of losing their livelihood and worried about how change could impact their business. I'd say any business that isn't selling stuff that needs a car to move should benefit from increased footfall though.

Understandable - but depends on the business. Cannot compare Shop St now v's before pedestrianization. Even nature of streets and business in the vicinity has changed over the years, it really is less and less of a factor now. The landlords are the big winners.

The landlords are the big winners.

Are they ever the losers?

But in the context of pedestrianised streets I'd say more like the general public are the big winners.

Are they ever the losers?

But in the context of pedestrianised streets I'd say more like the general public are the big winners.

True - however one group of the General Public affected by Shop St and streets around it were people cycling in the City, especially those going from East to West. Go from Bohermore PO to Fr Griffen Rd PO. It ain't great.

But hasn’t the city manager Previously come out and said that none of these bus lane or cycle lane works can go ahead unless the bypass City Ring Road is built first?
    You are right, that was said by him. Heard him on the radio saying it. That "thinking" has seemed to have changed in recent years. GTS (whatever parts are voted through by Cllrs) is going to be implemented regardless now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

There are fairly substantial traffic issues around the city not related to roundabouts but I thought at some point there was a plan to replace all 12 with traffic light junctions and to have a centrally controlled system in Galway City Council?

The Kirwin roundabout, the one at the back of the university hospital and the Bohermore roundabout are all still bottlenecks.

The N6 can't function properly as a route through the city without the Kirwin and the Westside roundabout being removed.

Not related to Roundabouts, Parkmore and the Tuam Road inbound are a mess.

There are fairly substantial traffic issues around the city not related to roundabouts but I thought at some point there was a plan to replace all 12 with traffic light junctions and to have a centrally controlled system in Galway City Council?

The Kirwin roundabout, the one at the back of the university hospital and the Bohermore roundabout are all still bottlenecks.

The N6 can't function properly as a route through the city without the Kirwin and the Westside roundabout being removed.
    You are right. Strange thing now - I am led to believe that the Kirwin Roundabout is to be retained in the latest Galway Transportation Study. With raised Zebra crossings on all arms. (Same goes for Cemetery Cross).
    In all the City's I have visted in Europe and further afield (unless the tram went over or under it unbeknownst to me) have never seen a tram negotiate an uncontrolled roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

You are right. Strange thing now - I am led to believe that the Kirwin Roundabout is to be retained in the latest Galway Transportation Study. With raised Zebra crossings on all arms. (Same goes for Cemetery Cross).
    In all the City's I have visted in Europe and further afield (unless the tram went over or under it unbeknownst to me) have never seen a tram negotiate an uncontrolled roundabout

I use the Kirwin roundabout to get to and from work and on many evenings it seems obvious that the traffic going towards the city centre backs up on the roundabout and prevents any cars easily exiting on any of the other routes.

Using a traffic light junction would prevent the central space being blocked up.

I use the Kirwin roundabout to get to and from work and on many evenings it seems obvious that the traffic going towards the city centre backs up on the roundabout and prevents any cars easily exiting on any of the other routes.

Using a traffic light junction would prevent the central space being blocked up.

Agree - see the same issue myself here at the Kirwin roundabout at all times of the day as well. It is really odd to leave a Roundabout like this in SITU when all round it will have traffic controlled junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Could really do with renovating the current rail/bus station, absolute kip

Could really do with renovating the current rail/bus station, absolute kip

Ceannt Station are subject to a massive redevelopment worth several hundred million euros and due to be completed by 2025.

But what's that got to do with the ludicrous light rail notion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The document it's self puts the whole project on ice until 2031 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Have always said it ... " galway ain't going to get a gluas in our time"
    Cork would want one .
    Limerick would want one .
    Until / or if ... The ring road is built ... Our best bet is
    Lough atalia ...one way
    College road ...one way
    Bohermore .... One way
    Headford road from courthouse to tesco ... One way
    Remove all roundabouts
    Pedestrian crossings to be like they are on be continent as in raised to give pedestrians right of crossing.
    Turn mill street/ Henry street/ sea road ...one way
    CCTV operated traffic lights manned from 7 am to 10 am
    4pm to 7pm
    And when there's events on in galway like at pearse stadium on Sunday's.
    No parking on foster street or eglinton street from 11am to 7pm
    Zero tolerance from gardai or traffic wardens .
    In other words .... Galway to get its head out of its ARS and start acting like a city and not a village.
    WONT HOLD MY BREATH !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Forgot to mention
    Bus lanes put in
    Lough atalia / college road / bohermore / headford road / tuam road / parkmore hill /

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement