Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

recedite wrote: »
    Well, if you don't like the rules of the club, why so keen to be a member?

Some people still think it's the one and only way to obtain a ticket to eternal paradise. If you actually believed that, you'd still be keen to be a member no matter what this organisation did.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, if you don't like the rules of the club, why so keen to be a member?
    So you can work towards change in the rules, perhaps.

Your argument is akin to saying that if you don't like Irish abortion law, you can just go and live in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://twitter.com/AtheistRepublic/status/960400177155715072

You don't want to be one of those intelligent types in this guys church

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://twitter.com/AtheistRepublic/status/960400177155715072

You don't want to be one of those intelligent types in this guys church

What a dangerous dangerous dangerous cnut!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Peregrinus wrote: »
    So you can work towards change in the rules, perhaps.

Your argument is akin to saying that if you don't like Irish abortion law, you can just go and live in England.
    There are other Christian churches that have women priests, but RCC have made it crystal clear that their rules are not for changin'.

I'd say its more like trying to remove the rear window of your car so you can fit your ladder in, when you could have just bought a van instead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There are other Christian churches that have women priests, but RCC have made it crystal clear that their rules are not for changin'.

You mean the RCC hierarchy have said that.

They are not the Church, and we shall see if the rules are for changin. They chnged lots of rules in the past, even just in my lifetime.

You mean the RCC hierarchy have said that.
    Its not a democracy. Never has been.

Its not a democracy. Never has been.
    Even non-democracies change their rules!

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Even non-democracies change their rules!
    Yes, but only when it suits the people who are in charge.

Petitioning such people from a position of weakness only serves to emphasise your own willingness to be trampled upon.

Yes, but only when it suits the people who are in charge.
    Which is also true of democracies, when you think about it.
    Petitioning such people from a position of weakness only serves to emphasise your own willingness to be trampled upon.
    What you're presenting here is a simple binary between (a) quitting, and (b) "Petitioning [the people in charge] from a position of weakness". The fact that the Mary McAleese's of this world don't just quit might suggest that they don't see their situation in quite such simplistic terms.

• Advertisement

Democracies are subject to the whims of the majority, which is usually a good thing, but not always.
    I'd imagine that the majority of the RCC membership would be in favour of full gender equality. But that does not matter to those who control it.

Its probably fair to say that the two most successful religions of all time have been the RCC and Sunni Islam. Both are fundamentally undemocratic and neither are known for being pioneers of gender equality.

Its not for me to criticise success. Perhaps there is some fundamental need in the human psyche that draws people towards centres of power. Even those who are destined to become the grist to the mill.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

seamus wrote: »
    Have to give the guy kudos for his 4-second steam-propelled flight in 2014. That didn't happen by accident.
    Mike tries again. Mike fails again. WaPo is not hopeful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/02/06/a-flat-earther-finally-tried-to-fly-away-his-rocket-didnt-even-ignite/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Photoshopped Jesus image leads to fining of Instagram user
    Spanish court finds Daniel Serrano guilty of offending religious feelings with picture
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/photoshopped-jesus-image-leads-to-fining-of-instagram-user-1.3386743?a=d

Oddly enough, you have to go to a Spanish newspaper to see the image, as the Irish one has redacted it.

Scroll down to the comments, and there are a few more people joining in with their own images :)

It's showing up on the IT for me?

Life ain't always empty.

There is a grey panel overlaying the IT version of the image, when I open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Slimy Ali kept on repeating "ask a doctor".
    Interviewer should have asked him for the name of a suitable doctor. I'm guessing Ali already knows a few in his congregation who would be willing to oblige with any necessary signature.

Slimy Ali kept on repeating "ask a doctor".
    Interviewer should have asked him for the name of a suitable doctor. I'm guessing Ali already knows a few in his congregation who would be willing to oblige with any necessary signature.

also these illusive medical reasons? probably a 1 in a million chance of it being real

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

There is a grey panel overlaying the IT version of the image, when I open it.

Disable JavaScript and reload it.

Anyway the image was in yesterday's print edition so there'd be no reason not to publish it online.

Life ain't always empty.

FGM is illegal, doctor or no doctor.

Selim should be deported and made persona non grata in this country.

Life ain't always empty.

Melbourne archbishop says he'd rather go to jail than report child abuse heard in confession

Denis Hart says ‘communication with God is of a higher order’ after child sex abuse inquiry calls for failure to report to become a criminal offence

Christ.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/15/melbourne-archbishop-says-hed-rather-go-to-jail-than-report-child-abuse-heard-in-confession

And here was me thinking Student Unions were a write off these days, they seem to have turned on the good doctor

TCD Students' Union‏ @tcdsu

Below is a copy of a Letter @TCDSU_President delivered to the Provost today. TCDSU demands the dismissal, without delay, of Ali Selim.
    DV2J1rdW0AEDAMC.jpg:medium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Typical campus craziness, snowflake SJWs offended by and trying to limit Dr Selim's free speech.

Typical campus craziness, snowflake SJWs offended by and trying to limit Dr Selim's free speech.

:D

Am I the only one who didn't know the TCD school of near and middle earth existed?
    Seems to be divided between Holocaust studies, Arabic studies, and Persian/Iranian studies. (I presume they mean Farsi by the latter)
    Strange bedfellows indeed :pac:
    Anyway, I am equally delighted to see the SU making the complaint, and appalled at the sudden realisation that some of my taxes could have have been making their way into Ali's pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Am I the only one who didn't know the TCD school of near and middle earth existed?
    Seems to be divided between Holocaust studies, Arabic studies, and Persian/Iranian studies. (I presume they mean Farsi by the latter)
    Strange bedfellows indeed :pac:
    Anyway, I am equally delighted to see the SU making the complaint, and appalled at the sudden realisation that some of my taxes could have have been making their way into Ali's pocket.
    Pampered academics sitting around in padded elbowed coats discussing whether Mithrandir or Galdalf is the appropriate nomenclature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Selim was on near the end of TV3's The Pat Kenny Show tonight weasel-wording some sort of retraction based on deficiencies in his understanding of medicine and English. Whatever - I find it hard to imagine that he was afraid the proposed new law might prevent ...what?...maybe life-saving surgery for extremely rare cases of childhood cancer in that area? It's clear he had an agenda and I don't feel he was interrogated sufficiently on this by the host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Selim was on near the end of TV3's The Pat Kenny Show tonight weasel-wording some sort of retraction based on deficiencies in his understanding of medicine and English. Whatever - I find it hard to imagine that he was afraid the proposed new law might prevent ...what?...maybe life-saving surgery for extremely rare cases of childhood cancer in that area? It's clear he had an agenda and I don't feel he was interrogated sufficiently on this by the host.

Ali Selime was backpedaling like a good thing trying to save his skin knowing full well this time his Islamic ideals are being rejected and condemned, especially when another senior Muslim cleric had come out against him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement