Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Still going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

oh wow - thats on this week!! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Still going ahead?

Yep! Expo attended, race number and cheesy trinkets collected.

Temperature looks like it'll be about 4 degrees at race start, heating up to around 10 degrees by the time I'll be finishing. Cold enough for Florida but it's happened before. There'll be a light enough breeze and the sun will be out. According to this article these temperatures are pretty much ideal for marathon running, so along with the flat course my excuses for a bad run are rapidly dwindling!

Still not sure if I'll wear the club singlet, the name mightn't travel well? :confused: Dick Hooper didn't wear the Raheny singlet when he came second in Disney back in the day (can't find a picture of what he wore when he won it) :pac: http://www.glsp.com/wdwmarathon/disneyphotogallery.html

2ndplace.jpeg

The general race etc.

The DisneyWorld Marathon is a massive mass-participation blingtactular corporate event. No surprise there. Its main purpose appears to be for aspiring runners who want a large piece of bling to prove that they did a marathon... along with getting a lot of people into Disney resorts during the off season. The standard of runner is not high, and the race is not setup for faster performances - no pacers, very early start, winding course, lots of hanging around at the start etc. Disney partners with Jeff Galloway, a former Olympian, who coaches huge numbers of people using a run-walk-run approach to completing long distance road races. I guess this is a good thing to a certain extent - getting people active who may not be active otherwise and to be coached into doing so in a way that makes long distances achievable is a good thing. I have to admit to doing the dirt on boards, though only slightly... I joined, though mostly passively observed, the disboards forum, which is basically a boards for everything Disney related, and followed the 2018 Marathon Weekend thread. After all, if a marathon is worth running, it's worth obsessing about online for months on end. The disboards forums were full of very friendly and welcoming folks, and a handful of decent runners too. I got a bunch of inside info about what to expect on race-day which was generally stress relieving and suited my obsessive nature!

Myself and my wife registered for the full marathon and half marathon respectively back in February. There may have been a bottle of wine or two consumed at the time. The Disney Marathon Weekend is as busy as a race weekend could be. There are four races on consecutive days - a 5k, 10k, HM and full marathon. Doing all four races is known as a "Dopey Challenge" and is a thing that people in real life train for. There's also a "Goofy Challenge" which is merely the HM and full marathon. Doing all four requires additional registration though it also includes membership of an elite club of folks who are willing to do 4 races in 4 days and gets you additional medals and t-shirts. There's a multi-day expo that we had to attend to pick up our numbers and race shirts. The race expo was in multiple buildings around the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in DisneyWorld which is made up of multiple sports arenas, stadiums and practice grounds. We showed up on the Friday, and the queues for registration were mostly non-existent - earlier in the week for the full Dopey folks they were multi-hour long. We had registered our two boys for some kids races, so we hung around the sports grounds for a couple of hours and took part in two well organised races where they got medals and a t-shirt for running a 100m and 200m race on the track, along with a few hundred other kids. At the expo I picked up some gels etc. for the marathon and generally browsed around. Disney had an entire building for their marathon weekend merchandise! There were some cute t-shirts, shorts, skirts etc. but we it was definitely on the expensive side.

My race.

I ate a lot the day before while we were in the Animal Kingdom after my better half's half marathon. I stuffed myself with food all day, my final meal being a pasta dish (of course) at about 5 or 6 or so. After the meal we watched a show and headed back home. The kids were awake for a good while, and I probably only got to sleep around 11PM. At 2:58AM I w moke up involuntarily and started to get dressed. By 3:25AM I was on a bus from my resort to the marathon. I had a bag with a change of clothes and a few race essentials stashed in it. Once off the bus, I joined a massive queue of folks getting searched by security, and when that I was done I made my way to the nearest coffee stand and washed down a dry bagel for breakfast. I strolled over to the bag drop area, got dressed into my final race-start gear along with a sacrificial never-worn hoodie, and started the long, long trudge down to the starting area. It was probably 2 miles away! Once I got there though, time passed quickly enough. I was placed into the "A" wave, with the fastest 2-4% of runners with me, and the entire rest of pack behind us. There were a load of large TV screens and I watched a few live interviews on them, did a light warmup (partially to keep warm) and then got into position for the start. I was maybe about 10 rows back. There was a moment's silence for the troops (...) and the USA national anthem sung live followed by some patriotic fireworks. A couple of minutes later, Mickey Mouse got us running after a countdown and a large fireworks display as we passed over the starting line.

An enthusiastic start 7:38, 7:04, 7:14, 7:05, 7:11

So, the disboards forum. There's one lad who's like the Testostercone of the forum. He is however around my standard of running, and he was running Dopey again this year. He ran the 5k in a disappointing 20:09 or so, then a brilliant 39:4x or so the next day, followed by a 1:30:3X. I'm pretty sure if I tried to run those kind of races on consecutive days it'd kill me. Anyway, I'd followed him on Strava and on the disboards forums, and about 200 metres into the race I spotted him and introduced myself. Once he paused whatever he was listening to on his headphones we had a bit of a chat and started to work with each other. He knew all the tangents and had a few words to say about the weather. There was a bit of a breeze from the north, which he explained would be a problem in the first few and last few miles. We ran alongside each other, occasionally swapping places and sheltering each other from the wind. What more could I want from a race start? The course here wasn't great. Running on a large road with some entertainment (occasional bands and DJs) on the side, in the dark and cold. Yawn. Going along at target pace felt good here (which it really should at this stage!).

Magic Kingdom and a change of clothes 7:10, 7:12, 7:16, 8:34

Running through the Magic Kingdom was fantastic. For the Disney-uninclined, the Magic Kingdom in Orlando is the main park that you would think of when you hear about Disney parks - a big castle and most of the classic rides. We finally ran off the boring roads, through the car entrance to the carpark, then after a few ups-and-downs eventually onto Main Street USA. The support was great here, lots of actual real supporters shouting and making a great atmosphere. There was a bit of winding around the park, followed by running through the actual castle and then around by Splash Mountain and out the other side of the park.After the Magic Kingdom I was feeling a bit sweatier than I reckoned I should be. I'd worn my Crusaders singlet with a MSB Patrick's Festival 2016 5k long-sleeve shirt underneath, so it was time to ditch the long-sleeve. I ran over to some portaloos around mile 9 and spent what seemed like an hour taking the bloody thing off and doing a quick toilet break. I'd lost my disboards pal - I went ahead of him around the park and couldn't see him nearby before or after the toilet break.

Nowhereland 7:06, 7:07, 7:14, 7:25, 7:16

Roads. Long, wide, lonely roads. Running past a biodiesel factory that stinked. Starting to get a bit brighter and warmer. Not many people around me, and one or two attempts at brief chats were ignored. Feeling cold, lonely and a bad feeling that I'm putting in more effort than I really should be at this stage. During an out-and-back I saw my pal well ahead of me and we exchanged waves. I decided to try to catch up a bit as the company could only help.

Starting to go to sh!t 7:03, 7:11, 7:16, 7:20, 7:29, 7:36, 7:58

Finally I reached the second of 4 theme parks, the Animal Kingdom. I wasn't full of joy to be there, and I was starting to get a bit cynical about the support from the Disney cast members. It was a little weird being back in the park less than 12 hours after leaving it. Once I got out of the park and into a massive carpark I decided I needed a bit of a distraction, so stuck on my headphones and played some music. This provided a bit of a boost. After the Animal Kingdom the course got even worse than before - a massive road towards the ESPN sports area. A total slog featuring ramps, a rising sun, rising temperatures and generally being exposed. Energy was draining quickly here. The EPSN sports area included a lot of turns, winding around a track (the surface of which actually provided some relief) and eventually running around a big enough baseball stadium with some cheesy support setup. A commentator shouted out my name as I went past home base which was a good laugh. The surface in the stadium however was some sort of energy sapping gravel and only further deteriorated my pace. Things were starting to get very tough here. My quads were getting very, very sore - like end-of-Run-The-Line sore. I'm not sure whether it was my form deteriorating or just general unfitness that was causing this, but the pain kept getting worse. Also I was wearing a recently purchased pair of Hokas which had shorn off an area of skin on the bottom of my right foot during the 22-miler 3 weeks ago... and sure enough the same area was once again being shorn off. I took my headphones off as everything, even music, was starting to annoy me.

Things are very bad 8:40, 8:56, 8:43

This was an agonising plodd up large roads in the sun. It wasn't too hot, just very bright. I was starting to be passed a lot. Finally turning into Hollywood Studios where there were real life people who weren't Disney employees giving some support did seem to perk me up a bit. I got my first "Go on Crusaders" shout from somebody at a water stand, which was quickly followed up by some also good support from another water stand where they bothered to read my name and give a shout. Up 'til then all everybody had to say were a few saccharine and strangely repetitive phrases such as "go runners!". After that was a run along a river and eventually a hotel boardwalk area which were both a lot more interesting than the large roads which had dominated the run so far. By now I knew there was no hope of a PB, but was vaguely clinging to a sub-3:20 time. Maybe I could muster something in the last couple of miles or so...

Haha yeah right 8:28, 8:32 (8:26)

The pain in my quads was only getting worse, and now I was starting to feel extremely hungry. Maybe I'd made a balls of my fuelling with the minimal breakfast. I really wanted to stop running. The end is a bit fun - running around the lake at Epcot, past the big circle thing and then into a carpark to finish. There was no sprint finish. I started to feel a bit woozy but it went away as I got to the finish line. Two chipmunks seperated me from finishing the bloody thing, so I high-fived one of the feckers and finally got to stop running.

Time: 3:21:03

Timer splits
    Distance|Time
    5 mile| 36:22
    10 mile| 1:14:02
    HM| 1:36:34
    20 mile| 2:27:26
    Clock time| 3:21:08

Positive split of 7 minutes 55 seconds :(

After

I staggered my way around the large post-race area, got a picture taken with my medal and eventually got my bag back so I could get out of running gear. This was painful to do, mostly because of my quad situation. I eventually staggered over to the beer and food area, and rehydrated myself a bit. I met my pal and we chatted for a few minutes before I headed back to our digs in Disney. A shower somehow seemed to help out my quad situation a bit, as in I could walk without grimacing the entire time after the shower. Afterwards we headed over to Epcot and I tried to get drunk over the course of the day, but I think Disney makes it impossible to actually get drunk based on their portion sizes and alcohol levels in their drinks :) I wore my medal for the day, which is the done thing in Disney. The Disney staff clearly all had instructions to congratulate marathon runners, which got a bit naff after a while. One guy in a shop did ask me how it went, I said something along the lines of "oh you know, tough last few miles but that's a marathon haha" and he replied "well it's all about getting that piece of metal around your neck!"... well, no... the obsession with bling and marathon tat at the event was off-putting, as was the fake enthusiasm and support both on and off the course, though I guess not to be unexpected.

What went wrong

This was one of my worst races ever. I didn't really have the same level of enthusiasm for it compared to any of the other marathons I'd done. I hadn't trained enough for it - some 20 milers but not enough tempo paced stuff. I obviously went out a bit too fast, despite the flat profile and good (if a bit cold) weather. I was still a bit jetlagged, on holidays, tired from walking a lot around theme parks, eating crap and generally not well setup to run a good race at any distance. I probably fuelled badly on the day, my breakfast was crap and I'm used to running well-fed long runs. I ate three gel type things on the course, same as in Dublin. I guess if I'd run 3:21:03 with even/negative splits I probably would have been happy enough. However I went for a PB and made a balls of it. The skin scraping on the bottom of my right foot didn't help. I really should have packed my trusty pair of slightly old Brooks Ghosts instead of the Hokas. I really liked the other two pairs of Hokas, but not only do these ones destroy my feet they just don't feel great on me. I have a pretty cool blood blister on one of my right foot toes that I have yet to pop too. I moaned on Facebook that this was a mediocre marathon, which it definitely was based on my PBs from earlier in the year. The time isn't a total disgrace but miles off where I should be. Mostly I'm disappointed in the execution rather than the result.

Next

I'm having serious DNS thoughts about Donadea - I don't think I've the stomach to knock out some more long runs between now and then. I've been taking it very easy since the race, with just one run so far, which did make my legs feel a bit better, but I have basically done nothing over the last few weeks so there's really not much point in showing up to my first ultra unprepared. I am somehow registered for another race on my holidays though :) - I was browsing the calendar of Kennedy Space Center for launches etc. and noticed a 4 mile running race called, obviously, "The Space Race", which is on Friday, the day before we leave. So I'll probably be doing that. Chances of a PB are high as I've never run a 4 mile race before, but I don't think it'll be anything like an all-out effort. Not only are my legs still recovering from Sunday, it's going to be humid and warm and it'll be at the end of a day walking around rockets and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Singer wrote: »
    The general race etc.

to finish. There was no sprint finish. I started to feel a bit woozy but it went away as I got to the finish line. Two chipmunks seperated me from finishing the bloody thing, so I high-fived one of the feckers and finally got to stop running.

Time: 3:21:03

Timer splits
    Distance|Time
    5 mile| 36:22
    10 mile| 1:14:02
    HM| 1:36:34
    20 mile| 2:27:26
    Clock time| 3:21:08

Positive split of 7 minutes 55 seconds :(

After

What went wrong

This was one of my worst races ever. I didn't really have the same level of enthusiasm for it compared to any of the other marathons I'd done. I hadn't trained enough for it - some 20 milers but not enough tempo paced stuff. I obviously went out a bit too fast, despite the flat profile and good (if a bit cold) weather. I was still a bit jetlagged, on holidays, tired from walking a lot around theme parks, eating crap and generally not well setup to run a good race at any distance. I probably fuelled badly on the day, my breakfast was crap and I'm used to running well-fed long runs. I ate three gel type things on the course, same as in Dublin. I guess if I'd run 3:21:03 with even/negative splits I probably would have been happy enough. However I went for a PB and made a balls of it. The skin scraping on the bottom of my right foot didn't help. I really should have packed my trusty pair of slightly old Brooks Ghosts instead of the Hokas. I really liked the other two pairs of Hokas, but not only do these ones destroy my feet they just don't feel great on me. I have a pretty cool blood blister on one of my right foot toes that I have yet to pop too. I moaned on Facebook that this was a mediocre marathon, which it definitely was based on my PBs from earlier in the year. The time isn't a total disgrace but miles off where I should be. Mostly I'm disappointed in the execution rather than the result.

Next

I'm having serious DNS thoughts about Donadea - I don't think I've the stomach to knock out some more long runs between now and then. I've been taking it very easy since the race, with just one run so far, which did make my legs feel a bit better, but I have basically done nothing over the last few weeks so there's really not much point in showing up to my first ultra unprepared. I am somehow registered for another race on my holidays though :) - I was browsing the calendar of Kennedy Space Center for launches etc. and noticed a 4 mile running race called, obviously, "The Space Race", which is on Friday, the day before we leave. So I'll probably be doing that. Chances of a PB are high as I've never run a 4 mile race before, but I don't think it'll be anything like an all-out effort. Not only are my legs still recovering from Sunday, it's going to be humid and warm and it'll be at the end of a day walking around rockets and stuff.

I wouldn't be that disappointed with 3:21 to be honest. As you say yourself, preparation wasn't right at all, from reduced mileage to diet, with various niggles thrown into the mix too. It's a wonder you were able to run a marathon at all.

Recover well. You didn't mention your back at all in this report, which seems positive. What's the Donadea deferral deadline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Great report B, sorry to hear it didn't quite go to plan but as you say, the time is nothing to be ashamed of. I did a HM in Chicago a few years ago and the chase for bling is extraordinary. They did the minute silence for the troops then too and a big hoopla about the flag and the anthem... very patriotic indeed :).

Take your time to recover properly and for gods sake, jog the 4 miler tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Everything about that race is a novelty more than anything. Far from ideal in terms of prep for a marathon. Wouldn't overthink it lad. Put it down as a novelty marathon that you can say you did. And at that 3:21 is far from a bad time. Obviously not near where you wanted to be but looking at the prerace prep, all the walking, visiting parks, jetlag, food etc - nah..nothing to overthink there. You've completed a Disney marathon which was "a bit of craic". Tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Wouldn't dwell to much on it B, the prep wasn't the may west as you pointed out nor did the conditions on the day seem to conducive to fast times. Your better than the time you ran on the day, you know that yourself. Dropping Donadea might be a good idea, training for DCM into Disney Marathon into Donadea 50K is heavy going. Take time out to recover a small bit and let the body rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good report there B, you've sold the event for exactly what it is there. Your prep in the days preceding wasn't ideal for a much shorter distance let alone a full marathon, there are many who would dream of such a time (incl. me) so won't give that much consideration as a finishing time at all. Another one down! Recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

I hope the kids didn't go with a jockeyback after that Brian :eek::D. Boards expects nothing less than a pb, by way of redemption in the 4 miler. Enjoy those hols will ya!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That's a tough sounding race B and especially on holidays. I hope you didn't further flog yourself now on the 4 miles.

Don't forget to book in your full heath check-up this year as promised.

I wouldn't be that disappointed with 3:21 to be honest. As you say yourself, preparation wasn't right at all, from reduced mileage to diet, with various niggles thrown into the mix too. It's a wonder you were able to run a marathon at all.

Recover well. You didn't mention your back at all in this report, which seems positive. What's the Donadea deferral deadline?

Yeh, the further I get from the race the less annoyed I am about it. Donadea deferral date was New Year's eve. Oh well.

Not a peep from my back before, during or after the race, even with all the jockeybacks :)
    Great report B, sorry to hear it didn't quite go to plan but as you say, the time is nothing to be ashamed of. I did a HM in Chicago a few years ago and the chase for bling is extraordinary. They did the minute silence for the troops then too and a big hoopla about the flag and the anthem... very patriotic indeed :).

Take your time to recover properly and for gods sake, jog the 4 miler tomorrow!!

But the age category winners get to meet an astronaut!!! :eek::pac:
    Everything about that race is a novelty more than anything. Far from ideal in terms of prep for a marathon. Wouldn't overthink it lad. Put it down as a novelty marathon that you can say you did. And at that 3:21 is far from a bad time. Obviously not near where you wanted to be but looking at the prerace prep, all the walking, visiting parks, jetlag, food etc - nah..nothing to overthink there. You've completed a Disney marathon which was "a bit of craic". Tick.

Thanks - I think this is the right way to think about it alright :)
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Wouldn't dwell to much on it B, the prep wasn't the may west as you pointed out nor did the conditions on the day seem to conducive to fast times. Your better than the time you ran on the day, you know that yourself. Dropping Donadea might be a good idea, training for DCM into Disney Marathon into Donadea 50K is heavy going. Take time out to recover a small bit and let the body rest.

But I didn't train for Dublin! ;)
    diego_b wrote: »
    Good report there B, you've sold the event for exactly what it is there. Your prep in the days preceding wasn't ideal for a much shorter distance let alone a full marathon, there are many who would dream of such a time (incl. me) so won't give that much consideration as a finishing time at all. Another one down! Recover well.

All things are relative, race times especially so :)

I think it was probably more training related than race prep, though I did feel tired and unmotivated early on.
    denis b wrote: »
    I hope the kids didn't go with a jockeyback after that Brian :eek::D. Boards expects nothing less than a pb, by way of redemption in the 4 miler. Enjoy those hols will ya!!!!!

No jockeybacks or running for 2 days after. Quads are back to normal now, and the kids are climbing up me again. The 7 year old is really starting to get too big for me to swing him up at this stage.
    aquinn wrote: »
    That's a tough sounding race B and especially on holidays. I hope you didn't further flog yourself now on the 4 miles.

Don't forget to book in your full heath check-up this year as promised.

Good reminder. I have a doctor's appointment next week and I'll ask her advice on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hard luck, B. I agree with most of the above comments, and I don't think it was as bad a result as you do, all things considered.

You seem to have made some basic errors, which suggests you were not taking it too seriously yourself, so why sweat it now?

Re Donadea - it's only four weeks away so you'd only be doing a rollover, which is unlikely to correct any deficiencies, although knowing your form it doesn't mean you won't have an excellent day, and as you say you have a few 20 milers under the belt. If you follow a transition plan and stay healthy you might be in reasonable shape. I didn't race it all out last year but still enjoyed and got a lot out of it. Then again if you feel like dropping it and ask nicely, you never know - it's an informal race, your man might have someone on an informal waiting list.

Really enjoyed the report! Easy on that 4-miler. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Loved the report B , enjoy your chat with the astronaut .

The Muppet wrote: »
    Loved the report B , enjoy your chat with the astronaut .

Well, I got to chat briefly to the astronaut. I finished 2nd! The field was obviously not strong, it was very much a charity run/walk event, though in a really good venue with a free local craft beer for runners (!!! - I was designated driver, so the beer got donated to my wife), a DJ, a nice area to hang out afterwards and medals for many finishers (gotta have that bling!).

There was a 2 mile and 4 mile race, and the 2 milers got a 10 minute head start. This meant that they were all around the course, which was a 2 miles long with two laps for the hardy 4 mile folks. It wasn't a bad thing necessarily as the course wasn't brilliantly well marked or marshaled, with a bunch of twists and turns especially around Kennedy Space Center visitor complex, so having folks on the course meant I knew where to run! I went out a little too fast, but settled quickly enough into 4th position and the food I'd finished only an hour earlier was nestling a little heavy in my belly to really push myself. Also it was quite humid, and I ended up slowing down a good bit over the course, but not so much as to make my way up to second. I had a small bit of confusion as to which finish line to stop at, but it worked out ok in the end. I finished a minute behind the first finisher at an average pace barely faster than my summer HM pace. My hamstrings felt a bit tight during the run, which was a presumably my legs saying hi from their recovery from Sunday's marathon.

The best part of the evening was getting more American running bling presented to me by an actual real life person who has been into space! Overall the event was really nice - a very family friendly fun-run for a decent looking charity surrounded by some pretty amazing scenery (I was really into space stuff when I was a kid) with decent beer (not that I could enjoy it) on a nice balmy evening and did I mention that I got to meet an astronaut? It wasn't a run to write home about (though I guess that's exactly what I'm doing right now?) but it was grand for what it was. A nice way to end the holiday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I've enjoyed you're reports from over there. Sounds like a fun holiday. I mentioned your Disneyland marathon to my wife and I've been told I'm doing it. Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Really enjoyed them reports Brian , you’ve a knack for the writing. Sounds like a great holiday and something a bit diffeeent . I would echo would others have said 3:21 is a superb time in them conditions , don’t know how you even ran that fast after a few days in Florida , them parks are really tiring I’d struggle to run 1km at marathon pace. Then you smashed out a fast 4 mile , I think 2018 your in for a lot of PB’s Your running strong well done .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done on the 2nd place finish - and you got to meet an astronaut! As for the marathon - it's a good result really considering you said yourself the prep and the lead up was a bit sketchy. It looks to me like you faded towards the end, rather than completely bonking, which I'd take as a plus tbh. I'm only going to echo what others have said probably, but if it were me I'd leave Donadea off, recover properly and the decide what to do next. Ffs, I'd probably need a weeks recovery after a Disney holiday alone, nevermind having raced 2 races when on top of it! In saying that, you seem to recover from the longer races a lot quicker than me, so you'll know yourself. The reports were great btw.
    Someone said something similar to this to me on my log - If you don't think you have the stomach to knock out some more long runs, then you more than likely don't. Maybe you would benefit by shifting your focus to the shorter stuff for a bit and knocking out a few PBs? Followed by a serious attempt at a marathon in the Autumn? Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

That space race sounds far more fun than the Disney marathon! I'm very jealous you met a real life astronaut, well done!

Singer wrote: »
    Well, I got to chat briefly to the astronaut. I finished 2nd!

:D:D of course you did!!! Actually a bit disappointed you didn't go for the win :pac: Very cool you got to meet an astronaut too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done B a great report sorry it didn’t go to plan but you got to meet Mickey Mouse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great reports and congrats on the great marathon in tough conditions and the 2nd place finish in the Space run. Sounds like a great Holiday and you got to met some amazing people/characters!!:D.

This week was mostly just getting back into the swing of things. No races around Tayto Park or the Dunsink Observatory :) Jetlag wasn't too bad, sleep was a bit broken at times but nothing like the horrors of returning from the west coast of the USA.

My first commute of the year was ok, some aches and pains so not fully recovered from the marathon/holiday. I took Wednesday off and felt great running home on Thursday. On Saturday I got some hill sprints in, a session I hadn't done in a long time. Sunday's longish run was meandering around the Fingal 10k / Frank Duffy 2018 route - I made a wrong turn and didn't quite do the FD route (I'm sure I'll be back!). The road isn't great for parts of the extended route for FD, but it was enjoyable to run out that way - very quiet roads and quite open so no worrying about a car roaring around a corner. The openness could be a pain if it's windy or sunny in August.

My work had organised fitness tests during the week through Laya, so I signed up. I got 30 minutes with a young sporty coach type who did a body composition test (using bioelectrical impedance according to some googling I just did), a glucose test using some blood, a lung test which used something similar to a breathalyzer and a vO2 max test, which involved me stepping up and down a box for 3 minutes and then getting another blood sample taken (and maybe heart rate measured?). I'll dump the numbers below, mostly for my own records...

Weight: 80.7 kg
    Glucose level: 104
    Lung function (FVC): 4.54
    vO2 max: 55
    Visceral fat: 6
    Body fat: 17.7

The coach was very positive about the numbers, though I reckon I can lose a good bit more fat without looking like I'm ill!

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    15th January|10.2 miles|8:39|Runmute home, feeling creaky
    16th January|8.8 miles|8:46|Shorter commute in the morning, from the doctor's office
    18th January|10 miles|8:21|A good runmute, listening to Dunphy vs. Early.
    19th January|9.1 miles|8:48|A very easy commute home
    20th January|8 miles|9:22|10 x 20 second hill sprints up the River Valley parkrun hill of doom
    21st January|14 miles|8:05|Wet wander around Balheary etc.

Total: 60.3 miles.

Next week: My better half asked me when Donadea was, and I had to guess the date (I got it right!). This was a good sign that I'm really not taking it seriously. I guess I could show up, do a few laps for an enjoyable long run and DNF. Right now I just want to get into the habit of doing 2 sessions a week focussing on 5-10k distance or so. This probably means looking at a plan and figuring out some races for this year. The Lusk 4 Mile is just up the road at the start of March which could be a good race to assess progress, and the MSB 5k is always attractive a couple of weeks later. I might give the Great Ireland Run a go to see what it's like in April, then debut in Dunshaughlin and after that the race series & DCM as usual. Oh yeh, this week... I'll show up at the club on Tuesday. Not in shape for Raheny, so not looking likely despite the social and goodie-bag attractions.

What was nearly a good week turned into a mediocre week due to being too hungover to do a long run on Sunday morning, and too tired on Sunday night to squeeze it in, preferring to get a decent night sleep instead of a late run which always keeps me up. Maybe I should have just done a few miles. Oh well.

Tuesday evening was spent at the club as threatened, and I did the track session which was a solid enough if unspectacular workout:
    3 x 800 off 90 (3:01, 2:56, 2:57)
    3 x 600 off 75 (2:11, 2:12, 2:13)
    3 x 300 off 60ish (1:03, 1:02, 1:00)

On Saturday I got over to Malahide parkrun and knocked out an ok 19:35, it was controlled enough and I had the energy to do a few surges to get into better positions and finished relatively well, though the last 20 metres or so were a total mud bath so I lost a few seconds there.

I had a little bit of difficulty in the middle of the week with that damn wound on the bottom of my right foot that got shorn off by those bloody Hokas during the 22-miler 6 weeks ago and Disney marathon getting all blistery again. I even wore a bandage for a day and semi-hobbled around, not that it stopped me from getting a few miles in anyway. It got better towards the end of the week, though it still looks in bits and is sore to touch.

I did have a semi-running related medical discovery and cure during the week. Over xmas and my holiday, the left hand side of my throat was sore when I was swallowing. It wasn't mad sore, but it was a little annoying, and I'm a little sensitive to problems in that part of the world so got it checked out. I ended up seeing a throat specialist, who diagnosed reflux, related rawness and possibly some sort of blister thing that was on the mend. What does this have to do with running? Well, I regularly get heartburn when running (and when not running, but running definitely aggravates it), and control it by sometimes popping a Rennie before setting off. It's worse at some times compared to others and might be related to what I eat though I've never bothered to track it down. The doc prescribed some magic pills, and pretty much immediately I've been running heartburn free. Hopefully the heartburn is what was holding me back all these years :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    22nd January|9.1 miles|9:06|Nice and easy commute
    23rd January|6 miles|?|Cru warmup, session and cooldown. Also a jog to the quays with murph_d.
    24th January|9.1 miles|8:49|Another nice and easy commute. Blister thing sore.
    25th January|5 miles|8:59|Ran to the bus via D4. Blister still sore.
    26th January|10 miles|8:11|Blister no longer sore! Grand run home.
    27th January|8.8 miles|?|Over to Malahide parkrun, parkrun, back from Malahide parkrun
    28th January|0 miles|0:00|Hangover

Total: 48.2 miles
    Next week: Call into the Cru tomorrow anyway. Otherwise similar enough. Serious FOMO from all the Raheny reports, I need to register for a race (that I intend on doing)!

An ok week. Tuesday was over at the Cru stadium, the session was 6 x 800 with 200m recovery supposedly at HM pace. Nobody did the recovery at anything more than a jog. 800s were 3:01, 3:05, 3:03, 3:09, 3:12, 3:11. Not great paces at all and quite the fade.

Saturday was another parkrun - this week I treated myself to a trip over to Newbridge House which took less than 10 minutes in the car, at least an hour faster than the same trip to the HM last year :) I'd done it once before but knew that there were some changes to the route. I went out fast enough, leading the pack for the first half km, until I was reeled in my some knowledgable locals, one of whom was helpfully telling me what turns were coming up. There are a good few sharp turns, and my footing felt a little slippy so I was taking them conservatively enough. 3 lads pulled away into the distance on the way to the first 180, and I was on my own for the next 2 kms or so. Around the 4th km I was overtaken by another lad. I wasn't feeling great for no particular reason and knew my time was gonna suck. I was thankful enough to come in under 20 (19:54), a 5 second course PB. There was only one barcode scanner at the finish, so I volunteered to scan instead of doing a cooldown. I made a couple of rookie mistakes, but it was lovely congratulating everybody and getting lots of thank yous etc. I did kind of tweak my right hamstring/quadricep while doing the scanning, I was dropping the tokens into a basket on the ground and doing some sort of twisting motion that aggravated a not-cooled-down leg muscle. It's not sore to run on, so putting it down as a niggle for now! Happy to get another volunteer credit to make up for a poor enough run - currently at 5 and 27 runs.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    29th January|10.2 miles|8:19|Ok commute home.
    30th January|8 miles|?|Cru warmup, session and jog to the quays.
    31st January|9.1 miles|8:38|Easy run home.
    1st February|10 miles|8:33|Cold run home, felt stiff and slow.
    3rd February|4.9 miles|?|Warmup and Donabate parkrun
    4th February|14 miles|8:10|Ok longish run to, from and around Malahide Castle

Total: 56.3 miles

January total: 188 miles

Next week: Similar. It looks like our Saturday morning schedule is parkrun friendly for the next while, so I'm going to take as much advantage as I can of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You bring up a good point there - parkrun scanning ergonomics. With my dodgy back it’s something I think about on the odd occasions I get the job. I’ve noticed different parkruns have different ways of dealing with this problem (if they deal with it at all). Some attach the receptacle to a pole so it’s at hip height. Others give you a bumbag, which works even better. I’ve done jr scanning on my knees, cos a lot of kids have their barcode pinned to their shirts and can’t hand it up to you. Always worth thinking about the setup! Unlucky all the same, hopefully just a niggle as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Madness!!!! I hope you enjoyed it B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Some going, rocked up and ran a great time...no bother to you!

Oops, I did it again...

I tried to not run Donadea. I even messaged Anto a couple of weeks looking to officially get out. He responded in a manner of which you would expect our Anthony to respond, and then suggested that I pop out for a run and t-shirt even if I didn't do the race. If you're gonna DNF somewhere, Donadea is probably the place to do it, so this wasn't a bad idea. I had pretty much put it out of my mind over the last few weeks, though I did check that I was on the official starting list when it popped up on the Facebook group during the week. My wife reckoned all along that I was going to do it despite by protests. On Friday evening at around 5.30, I was getting ready to run commute home when she texted me whether I was going to run Donadea. I gave her a call and she ok-ed it. I was a little relieved as I was a bit tired and not fancying a job home (when this happens I usually snap out of it once I actually start running). I made sure to eat a bit of pasta on Friday evening, started worrying about the weather, which running shoes to wear and googled a few Donadea race reports to see what I've gotten myself into.

The kids sensed that I was planning to do a race, so they were both restless at various times during the night night. I ended up snoozing after my alarm went and got up in a panic at 7.30. I knew I could probably leave at 8.30 and everything would work out fine, but I like being early for stuff, so I got on the road not long after 8. The park was toughly how I expected - very friendly, and an air of anticipation. I was a little surprised to see folks dragging a lot of supplies and tables etc. over from the car park - it's just a 50k! I'd brought a lunchbag with some Lucozade Sport, a caffeine filled gel, some jellies and a peanut butter bar, and left it under one of the official tables. While strolling over from the carpark I was chatting to a nice man who turned out to be Anto's Da. I picked up my number at the tent, bumped into diego_b and we exchanged pleasantries. I was feeling very relaxed - no real nerves or feeling of pre-race dread. I popped back over to the car to get dressed, visited the portaloos and then stood around for a bit under a tree trying in vain to avoid the drizzle. At 9.30 Anto advised everybody "30 minutes, get your **** together, PRONTO" :) The race briefing included the line "if you can't finish 50k in 5 hours, go do an Ironman" :).

Lap 1: 24:39
    I decided to wear the Crusaders singlet, underneath a light northface running jacket, a cap and gloves. I was pretty sure that I'd be down to the singlet soon enough. I wasn't bothering with a warmup so didn't want to be cold in the meantime. I met diego_b again just before the start and after a casual and quiet start we were underway. I started my watch when I went over the line (which featured Anto telling everybody to "hurry up" :) ) and started jogging along in the pack. It was a bit slow all the way until we were past the lake and up towards the "that's not much of a hill" hill. I spotted who I reckoned was TFB who had started slowly enough like myself, but he started to pull away. I was feeling ok on the first lap, the course wasn't as good as I was hoping with a few big puddles and mudbaths to navigate.

Lap 2: 23:26
    I ditched the cap and coat at the table, as I was getting warm. Being a little cooler and in the singlet provided a bit of an energy boost. My watch appears to be mostly useless at telling me what time it is, wildly fluctuating every time I look at it. I got into a little group and had a little bit of chat. I ended up moving ahead of the group with one lad from Belfast, and we had a chat about races and whatnot. I lost him at the end of the second lap when I grabbed my bottle of Lucozade Sport, and he went to also get some supplies. Started to get some Cru shouts going through the start/finish area, which was nice. A nice lady from Lusk (I think) seemed to be picking me out for support and shoutouts which was nice.

Lap 3: 23:?? (chip didn't register)

Somewhere around here I caught up with TFB and introduced myself! We ran with other for about two and a half laps or so, and had a bit of a natter. We had some good chats, but we were also happy to shutup and just run along beside each other, which is pretty much the ideal race relationship.

Lap 4: 23:??

Running with TFB.

Lap 5: 23:55

We went over half way in 1:59 or so. I guess this was a good place to be, but without much training done I wasn't confident of a sub-4 finish. Still though, I felt good and wasn't pushing too hard. I wandered ahead of TFB around here, not very deliberately though it did provide me with a mild feeling of being chased by somebody who was bound to catch up and pass me as soon I started slowing down. I grabbed my caffine gel thing and slowly got it down me.

Lap 6: 23:45

:confused::confused::confused:

Lap 7: 23:46

On this lap I think I grabbed some watermelon from some supporters, and it was one of the best things I've ever tasted. Not much else happened.

Lap 8: 24:34

Starting to wobble a bit, and TFB eases past as expected. I'm not in any great pain, unlike Disney, just general tiredness. I am getting annoyed at things. There's more mud than there used to be and the path is getting worse, which annoys me. There's rubbish on the course, and that annoys me. The sun comes out for a bit, annoyingly. I start to bargain with myself - I'll allow myself a break once I past the marathon distance. This type of bargaining never works out well. It becomes clear once I start comparing my watch (in miles) with the km markers on the course that they are way off each other, by around a km or so. Stupid annoying watch. When I passed over the line, I sub-4 was still in play, though only just about. I'd have to run two decent 5ks.

Lap 9: 29:01
    Haha, no chance. Passing the marathon distance wasn't much of a big deal. I'd already started taking regular walking breaks, so it was a bit of a whimper. I think I passed it around 3:25 or so, at least it wasn't my worst marathon ever! :) I started chatting to somebody who was a lap behind me but whose speed I was basically at. He'd started running 2.5 years ago, and had done something like 20 marathons since. Chatting was a good distraction, and he was a generally positive chap which helped at the time. I went ahead once or twice, then walked for a bit and he caught up with me.

Lap 10: 29:12

Some more walking and slow running. I chatted with your man again, and was perked back up by the time there was just 2km to go. I started to move ahead of him, and he was shouting at me to go for it when the last km sign appeared. I actually somehow responded, and enjoyed the last km. After shuffling over the line, I gave the Lusk lady a hug (! - I'm not much of a hugger, but post-race emotions are weird), shook Anto's hand and got a medal. I chatted with TFB briefly, then went off to grab my coat and lunchbox, also nabbing a can of coke from the volunteers. I hobbled back to the car and slowly got into clothes that were not soaking wet and full of mud. I probably should have gone back down to the finish area, but I was feeling nicely dry for the first time in hours, and really just wanted to get home.

Finish time of 4:09:15 - 36th out of 158 finishers. Not a total car crash, though obviously a bit of a bad slowdown after 20-something miles. Maybe I should try training for a long race some time :)

Despite the slowdown, I'm happy with how my body held up. My feet aren't full of blisters, my legs are stiff but not woefully so, no signs of back or hip pain, and overall I feel better than after any of the marathons I've finished. Not bad for the most amount of time I've ever spent on my feet, by a long way. It's usually the days after that's bad though :rolleyes:

I'm very glad I've done Donadea - it's definitely worth doing at some stage in anybody's running career, though maybe it's more fun to hang around, support and listen to Anto :) No plans for any more Ultras for the forseeable anyway, even if this was just a mini-ultramarathon. Nice to know I can (kind of) finish one though.

The map that Strava has for the activity is hilarious. I inexplicably went on a long sojurn outside of the forest entirely, as well as cut my way through the middle of the forest on two occasions, and of course took two shortcuts over the middle of the lake. It has me down for 48k.

• Advertisement

I laughed out loud when I saw it pop up on Strava, well done B :D nice report too!

Advertisement