Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff B, your made of hardy stuff that’s for sure, savage going. Now will ya take it handy for a week maybe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done Brian, very respectable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats B. Enjoyed that report. Well that's this weeks long run done so take today off :D. Delighted for you that you got to experience Donadea and it certainly comes across in your post event comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Only catching up on your log here now :) what's the plan now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

healy1835 wrote: »
    Only catching up on your log here now :) what's the plan now?

Train for a 5k somewhere, then DCM via the race series. I'm sure there'll be a few other (short!) races and parkruns along the way. Next race will probably be the MSB 5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done B, you have to go back next year for the sub 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done B, a great one to have ticked off definitely, but think you will be back in a few years for another bash at it.... take good recovery time this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done, I wouldn't be too worried about the post-20 slowdown, especially since it's not that long since the Disney marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Great going. Your a machine. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of how fast you recover from these longer races - I don't know how you do it. Donadea is definitely a box to be ticked by myself at some stage too.

Catchup on last week:

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    5th February|9.2 miles|8:40|Very easy usual Monday plod home
    6th February|9 miles|8:29|I toddled over to the Crubowl for a club session, got to the changing room, took off half my clothes and realised that I'd worn my nice Croc work slipper things over instead of my runners :( I considered doing the session in my Crocs, but I had visions of me writing a post here along the lines of "So I trained in my Crocs, and then I got injured...". I felt like such a knob walking out of the dressing room :) I went back to the office, got changed into my actual runners and then struggled to run home on a freezing night. I almost considered hopping on a bus a few times, but didn't.
    7th February|0 miles|0|Rest / banking some motivation
    8th February|9.1 miles|8:19|A better run home. I seem to be doing the 9 mile route instead of the 10 mile route by default these days.
    9th February|0 miles|0|Wussed out of running home while in the jacks in work while getting changed. Committed to doing Donadea instead :)
    10th February|50k|8:01|Donadea 50k!
    11th February|0 miles|0|Another rest day! Pretty active though - a zoo visit, with many jockeybacks, a trip to the swimming pool with the nippers and then the supermarket. Decided to go to bed early instead of a recovery run.

Total: 57.2 miles

I'm still feeling pretty good post-Donadea. It probably also helped a bit that I didn't drink on Saturday after the race (the typos in my race report were made completely sober!). I've run home twice since and everything is good. Not gonna push things for a few more days, but very happy with my recovery so far.

As for the race itself... I think I'm over my phase of long races with inadequate training (DCM, RTL, Disney, Donadea). DCM and RTL were fun, and the rest felt like obligations. "Respectable" performances are nice and all, but not particularly inspiring. The most satisfaction I've gotten out of running was last summer when I followed the 5k plan and did well at Docklands & Fingal. It's been pretty much downhill since. On the good side, I know what to do - train for a 18:20 5k (and run 18:29 :) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice going in Donadea Singer, no bother to you. I didn't realise that it was you at the time but I did remark that you looked quite fresh - I'll know you next time :). I was chatting to a few lads at the bend before the gantry and who were doing a running commentary on how each person that passed looked.

I'm suitably jealous that you've ticked the Donadea box.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice going in Donadea Singer, no bother to you. I didn't realise that it was you at the time but I did remark that you looked quite fresh - I'll know you next time :). I was chatting to a few lads at the bend before the gantry and who were doing a running commentary on how each person that passed looked.

I'm suitably jealous that you've ticked the Donadea box.

Thanks! Based on a bunch of pictures of me from Disney and Donadea, I'm half-convinced that I have a future in acting based on my ability to appear to be running well despite the tragic reality of having slowed down a lot and feeling utterly miserable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Singer wrote:
    As for the race itself... I think I'm over my phase of long races with inadequate training (DCM, RTL, Disney, Donadea). DCM and RTL were fun, and the rest felt like obligations. "Respectable" performances are nice and all, but not particularly inspiring. The most satisfaction I've gotten out of running was last summer when I followed the 5k plan and did well at Docklands & Fingal. It's been pretty much downhill since. On the good side, I know what to do - train for a 18:20 5k (and run 18:29 ).

Would love to see what your capable of on the shorter stuff given the huge endurance base you've built up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Great report and running Brian your some man , I've learned now that if you take a day or two or running i'll probably see a marathon on strava that week :D , don't know how you do it.
    Singer wrote: »
    On the good side, I know what to do - train for a 18:20 5k (and run 18:29 :) ).

Looking forward to seeing how you approach this training , my plan is to break 18.30 for 5k also soon maybe we can pace each other in parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well?

Massive congratulations. Brilliant running, report and time from you.

Why though are you ignoring my badgering on Strava about recovery, that is no craic for me?

aquinn wrote: »
    Well?

Massive congratulations. Brilliant running, report and time from you.

Why though are you ignoring my badgering on Strava about recovery, that is no craic for me?

Strava comments are no place for a nuanced debate :o

Rest assured I am channeling my inner dubgal and listening to my body, and I apologise for the ghosting. I even stopped a run home yesterday, opting to hop on a bus due to mild tightness in my left hip/leg area, a wonky tummy and general lethargy (more so the latter in all honesty). My form didn't go to pants at Donadea, the surface was soft and my runners did the job - all of which has meant a pain/niggle free existence since Saturday, which has been great. I might give a parkrun a rattle on Saturday if everything is still good. Maybe I should run it as a tempo.

Looking forward to seeing how you approach this training , my plan is to break 18.30 for 5k also soon maybe we can pace each other in parkrun.

Pretty much the same as last year - the Faster Road Running 5k plan, though with a few random club sessions thrown in this year. I might end up doing the target 5k at a parkrun!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

well done singer....obviosly u didnt read the memo about walkin #disqualified

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching up.

Jesus.

Just catching up.

Jesus.

:pac::D:cool:

I'm going to take that as a largely positive reaction, completely justifying my approach to training and racing over the last few months. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Missed last week, so here's a bigger update than usual. No exciting races.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    12th February|9.2 miles|8:57|Decent recovery commute, legs a bit tired but no niggles post-Donadea.
    13th February|9.1 miles|8:34|Cold commute home after showing up to the club without runners
    14th February|5.2 miles|?|Aborted commute home - felt cr@ppy. Hopped on a bus at Omni or so, then got stuck in traffic coming into Swords and felt a lot better so hopped off and jogged the last mile home :)
    15th February|9.1 miles|8:26|Another commute
    17th February|10.5 miles|8:35|Featuring 6 x 12 second hill sprints up Rivervalley parkrun's hill of doom, then 8 x 100m strides.
    19th February|10.1 miles|8:29|A commute
    20th February|8.8 miles|?|Cru session - 3 sets of 4 x 400 off 60, 30, 15 seconds and jogging between sets. 1:21, 1:25, 1:27, 1:27, 1:31, 1:27, 1:27, 1:33, 1:33, 1:27, 1:31, 1:29. Still not getting the pacing right for these sessions. 1:29 is my 5k PB pace from last summer - lots of work to do to get back to that level!
    21st February|10.1 miles|8:37|Commute
    22nd February|10 miles|8:27|A commute with 10 x 30s strides! I actually probably did a few more than 10. Kept the commute interesting anyway.
    24th February|8.7 miles|?|Rivervalley parkrun with a hangover from beers in the office the night previous. I wasn't in bits, but didn't have the stomach to go down into the caves of a decent parkrun effort, so I wussed out and ran it at tempo pace. This was enjoyable in the end - the pace felt good and the time passed very quickly, it was nice to enjoy the run and not thrash myself. Slower pace than HM pace last summer so maybe I should have picked it up a bit. Finished 5th in 21:17, recovered quickly and caught up with clicker who had finished first yet again.
    25th February|14.7 miles|8:10|Two hours to, from and around Malahide. Ran along the estuary to see how windy it was, and quickly scooted off into the calm environs of Malahide Castle which was a lot more enjoyable to run around. GPS went spectacularly bad at one stage, like Donadea it reckoned I went off on a wander a good bit away from Malahide Castle.

Total: 43.2 miles :mad: and 62.6 miles :D
    Next week: Whatever can be managed in the snow I guess. I might rejoin the gym for a month. I was considering doing Lusk, but given the probable conditions I probably won't bother.

A week of excuses: being knackered after a bad night of oncall duty, snow, contracting some gastro problem in a local pub (I'll spare ye the details) and hurting my back a bit shovelling snow (recurrence of the same woes from a few months back, though at least it wasn't caused by running). So just one run last week on Monday.

Anyway, Faster Road Running's 60-70 miles per week plan for either Bob Heffernan 5k or some random parkrun (not Rivervalley!) starts this week.

Week 1 of the 5k plan. Planning on following it the same way as last year - mostly 6 days a week, do most of the prescribed sessions with a few parkruns and whatever other random stuff pops up in the meantime. The purpose is the same as last year - get into reasonable fitness for the summer and try to PB.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    5th March|10 miles|8:31|An enjoyable commute after the semi-enforced rest.
    6th March|7.7 miles|?|10 mins, 8 mins and 8 mins at LT, off 3 mins. Did this in and around the marathoners at the Crusaders track. Should have just done it with murph_d as he was running a near identical session at a similar pace. Effort was about right though the pace was underwhelming. Average pace per rep: 6:47, 6:52, 6:54. The same sessions last year were a lot faster - the curse of a training log (or maybe the curse of a running track? :) )
    7th March|10.2 miles|9:10|Nice and easy run home
    8th March|10 miles|8:40|Commute including 10 x 30 second strides.
    10th March|6.9 miles|8:46|6 x 12 sec hill sprints up the Rivervalley hill of despair, 8 x 30s strides around the Ridgewood bowl.
    11th March|15.3 miles|8:01|15 miles in ever so slightly under two hours. Felt satisfying. Effort felt a bit steadyish especially near the end. It was nice to be out in shorts and t-shirt.

Total: 60.3 miles

February total: 199 miles. I am already 132 miles down on where I was at this time last year! I hadn't run a marathon and 50k though :)

Next week: MSB St. Patrick's Festival 5k on Sunday. I'll do the long run on Monday so milage will be down. Last year I went into this race with expectations of being able to get close to 19:00, and didn't even get under 20. Ok, it measured a bit long, and the weather was dreadful, but I'm not falling into that trap again :) A course PB would be grand (sub-19:32).

Grumble grumble. I tapered for nothing more than a slow jog through snowy Swords due to the MSB 5k getting called off. Also I picked up a calf niggle. When I was running home on Thursday my right calf area started feeling pretty sore, so I stopped and got the bus home. I was wearing an ancient pair of Hokas (like, 20 months old) that really need to go into the bin. I then picked up a new pair of Brooks Ghost 10s online when I got home, as the only recently purchased "production" pair of runners I have are some Nike Frees I got in Orlando which aren't really great for huge amounts of running as they've not got a lot of support. The other Hokas I got recently enough have been consigned to the scrapheap due to regularly ruining my feet, and then the most youngest pair of normal runners I have are the Brooks Ghost 10s I got back in June last year. The other two pairs of runners I'm using are both around two years old - probably not best practice. When I was running earlier today in the snow, I went out in my trail runners and the calf was a bit tender afterwards. No plans to rest or cutback for now, unless things get worse.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    12th March|10 miles|8:56|Recovery run home
    13th March|8.2 miles|?|Cru session - 8 x 600m with 200m jog in between. 2'19, 2'19, 2'19, 2'18, 2'19, 2'21, 2'24, 2'19. Not terrible, felt controlled.
    14th March|9.1 miles|9:16|Very easy home in the pi$$ing rain
    15th March|5.2 miles|8:43|Aborted run home due to niggly calf
    17th March|2.8 miles|?|Easy jog to and from volunteering doing scanning at Rivervalley parkrun. I was utterly freezing by the end of it as I had jogged over in my shorts, and ended up getting sent home by the RD before the last runner was finished. My scanning DNF was called out in the race report :)
    18th March|5.3 miles|8:33|Sulky snowy miles around Swords

Total: 40.9 miles :(
    Next week: Long run tomorrow morning, and hopefully a couple of 5k sessions. Feck off snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Get yourself a good back up of runners, have 2+ pairs of Nike Vomeros waiting to be broken in. #totallyanaliknow.

Yeh, I've been slacking off on the basic job of having enough non-worn out runners to hand. I like having a variety of runners on the go but they can't all be old and knackered. Not sure how much difference it actually makes, but it seems like a bit of a coincidence that I got a sore calf running on a wrecked old pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Yeh, I've been slacking off on the basic job of having enough non-worn out runners to hand. I like having a variety of runners on the go but they can't all be old and knackered. Not sure how much difference it actually makes, but it seems like a bit of a coincidence that I got a sore calf running on a wrecked old pair.

I went out today and bought new runners my old ones I bought in August/September are wore out and this week my calf has been bothering me as well out with the old and in with the new ones :)

I hope your calf is ok after your long run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Feck off snow!

Couldn't agree more! Wasn't even funny the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

OOnegative wrote: »
    Get yourself a good back up of runners, have 2+ pairs of Nike Vomeros waiting to be broken in. #totallyanaliknow.

I've a couple of pairs of brand new ones in the wardrobe that I've been avoiding using because:
    1. It's been bad weather and I don't want to wreck them with muck.
    2. I have a target of "insert arbitrary mileage goal" miles to run on each of my old pairs before I throw them out - getting the most out of them.

I need to get out more.

• Advertisement

I've a couple of pairs of brand new ones in the wardrobe that I've been avoiding using because:
    1. It's been bad weather and I don't want to wreck them with muck.
    2. I have a target of "insert arbitrary mileage goal" miles to run on each of my old pairs before I throw them out - getting the most out of them.

I need to get out more.

My trail runners still have a good amount of the Run The Line hills on them, and my Brooks are still wearing a layer of Donadea.

It seems like my strategy on runners is to wear them until they hurt me. Possibly not the wisest, but definitely frugal!

Advertisement