Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ctlsleh wrote: »
    To the Hue experts out there, I was looking a GU10 models and there seems to be two different White ambiance versions, a 5.5W and a 6.5W.........can anyone tell me what that equates to in a normal build?

Also, the 6.5 looks larger than the 5.5, almost like it would protrude from a normal GU10 fitting, can anyone help me understand that?

I’m thinking of installing them in a ceiling, so wouldn’t want them protruding at the same time, I’d want as much light as possible.

They are also going into a kitchen, so don’t want them as spots, want as wide angle as possible beam from them, is that possible and what’s people’s experince with them from that perspective?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

There are only 2 types of Hue GU10

White ambiance & colour ambiance.
    The colour version is a lot larger than a standard size GU10, but the white ambiance version is similar in size to a regular size GU10.

The colour GU10 will fit into the type of fitting that comes in 2 parts, but will not fit into the enclosed ‘top hat’ type fitting

The attached photo is a colour Hue GU10, and the type of fitting it will fit into

Heres the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

To the Hue experts out there, I was looking a GU10 models and there seems to be two different White ambiance versions, a 5.5W and a 6.5W.........can anyone tell me what that equates to in a normal build?

Also, the 6.5 looks larger than the 5.5, almost like it would protrude from a normal GU10 fitting, can anyone help me understand that?

I’m thinking of installing them in a ceiling, so wouldn’t want them protruding at the same time, I’d want as much light as possible.

They are also going into a kitchen, so don’t want them as spots, want as wide angle as possible beam from them, is that possible and what’s people’s experince with them from that perspective?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

There are only 2 types of Hue GU10

White ambiance & colour ambiance.
    The colour version is a lot larger than a standard size GU10, but the white ambiance version is similar in size to a regular size GU10.

The colour GU10 will fit into the type of fitting that comes in 2 parts, but will not fit into the enclosed ‘top hat’ type fitting

The attached photo is a colour Hue GU10, and the type of fitting it will fit into

Thanks AndyBo,

Can you post that pic of send me a PM, on the fittings?
    I’m not sure what type I have, they are in the ceiling for the last 18years......:)
    Not sure what a Top Hat or two part is.....?

Thanks AndyBo,

Can you post that pic of send me a PM, on the fittings?
    I’m not sure what type I have, they are in the ceiling for the last 18years......:)
    Not sure what a Top Hat or two part is.....?

This type will hold the colour GU10 (providing there is enough space in the ceiling cavity (which there would be)) I have 10 of these in my kitchen holding colour GU10's, and 4 on my Landing holding White Ambiance GU10's
    gu10-lamp-fitting_1426_2292_1842.jpg

This is the 'top hat' style fitting that wont fit a colour Hue GU10, but will fit a White Ambiance Hue GU10 - I've 6 of these in my attic holding White Ambiance GU10's
    2375.1.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think there is only one White Ambiance, a 5.5w, I think the other one is the Colour + White Ambiance which goes up to 6.5w.

Note the 6.5w supports full colours in addition to the white ambiance. So it can do red, green, etc. in addition to the different whites.

Yes, the colour one is larger, probably because it needs three LED's to generate the different colours.

I've both the colour in my living room and white ambiance in the bathroom. Both fit fine in my fittings, but that may not be the case for everyone. I do prefer the colour, they seem to go brighter, but then they are a lot more expensive too.

EDIT: Beaten too it :D

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    I do prefer the colour, they seem to go brighter, but then they are a lot more expensive too

They are very cheap right now on Amazon - £36.99

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Massive difference in light output, the 240w bulb is 2,000 lumen, the Hue Go just 300 lumen.

You would need to replace it with two full size Philips Hue Bulbs, they are about 950 lumen, to get an equivalent brightness.

But then there can be the issue if that 240w bulb in a shade, thus you aren't really getting that level of brightness.

BTW that bulb is using massive amounts of electricity. You will save a lot my going LED. Two Hue bulbs will be less then 20w, more then a 10 times reduction.

They are very cheap right now on Amazon - £36.99

Haha, don't tempt me. :P What I have will do fine for now.

To be honest it is more just getting use to it.

I went from crappy 50w MR16's to 7w LED GU10's which were way brighter. I thought too bright initially, but then got use to it. Then I switched to the Hue lights and I thought they were a little on the soft side, though I suspect they are still brighter then the MR16's.

Here is a photo of a Hue Colour Ambiance, beside a White Ambiance, beside 2 regular LED GU10 bulbs,

As can be seen, the Hue Colour Ambiance is much larger than the other 3, the Hue White Ambiance is almost identical to a regular LED GU10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

bk wrote: »
    Massive difference in light output, the 240w bulb is 2,000 lumen, the Hue Go just 300 lumen.

You would need to replace it with two full size Philips Hue Bulbs, they are about 950 lumen, to get an equivalent brightness.

But then there can be the issue if that 240w bulb in a shade, thus you aren't really getting that level of brightness.

BTW that bulb is using massive amounts of electricity. You will save a lot my going LED. Two Hue bulbs will be less then 20w, more then a 10 times reduction.

We always have it dimmed. Probably 30% of its output

• Advertisement

That would still be 600 lumens or double the Hue Go.

Why not try it if you like it? Just buy it from a place with an easy returns policy and return it if it doesn't suit.

BTW a lot of this light stuff can be personal preference, so a good idea to try and see for yourself.

The longevity of the Hue Go’s supposedly isn’t great as the battery will eventually die.

My own preference would be to always install a light/fitting of my choosing, and simply install a Hue bulb into it. That way you have all the function of Hue, yet all the individuality of your own personal fittings.

This type will hold the colour GU10 (providing there is enough space in the ceiling cavity (which there would be)) I have 10 of these in my kitchen holding colour GU10's, and 4 on my Landing holding White Ambiance GU10's
    gu10-lamp-fitting_1426_2292_1842.jpg

This is the 'top hat' style fitting that wont fit a colour Hue GU10, but will fit a White Ambiance Hue GU10 - I've 6 of these in my attic holding White Ambiance GU10's
    2375.1.jpg

i guess mine if the top hat then.......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There are no issues getting enclosed fittings to hold longer than "normal" gu10 fittings.

I have fittings that are not only enclosed, but the chamber is insulated and they have heatsinks and cages that allow the insulation to be pulled right up to the fitting.

There is a led sticky on the electrical forum. There's a few posts on these fittings.

Thing is people don't want to spend more than 10 euro on a fitting.

They end up with a 50 euro lamp in an open back fitting with no fire rating and let's the air wizz into rooms

You'd need to spend about 25 euro a fitting.

To win work the fittings in most houses cost the electrician about 4 euro and are fit for the bin.

i guess mine if the top hat then.......

No, it looks like that fitting is a 2 part set up.

Part 1 holds the bulb

Part 2 connects to the bulb via a flexible power cable, so I’d say you’d fit the colour GU10’s in there if you wanted.

The longevity of the Hue Go’s supposedly isn’t great as the battery will eventually die.

My own preference would be to always install a light/fitting of my choosing, and simply install a Hue bulb into it. That way you have all the function of Hue, yet all the individuality of your own personal fittings.
    We have a five bulb chandelier in the room and I put white hue lights in it. Kinda sorry didn't go for the ambience or coloured bulbs. Might not need the lamp with them. Used to find old incandescent bulbs buzzed when dimmed.. Hue doesn't at all. Wife very sense to light so the colour temp option is nicer to have. Of anyone fancies five white bulbs let me know as may swap them out.

Most of the white only bulbs I’ve had have all been swapped out for colours over the last few years, only still have 2 in outside lights and 2 in the attic guest room, every other of my 45+ bulbs are either colour or White Ambiance (GU10’s).

No, it looks like that fitting is a 2 part set up.

Part 1 holds the bulb

Part 2 connects to the bulb via a flexible power cable, so I’d say you’d fit the colour GU10’s in there if you wanted.

heres a better pic, maybe i can screw off the black part and fit it in?

thanks for all the feedback

heres a better pic, maybe i can screw off the black part and fit it in?

thanks for all the feedback

Yeah, looks like your fitting is restricted in terms of size, but as you say, you could unscrew the back holder to allow a larger bulb fit in.

Or you could easily replace the fitting for the one i linked to above.

Do you know any electricians that could advise you as, you’d always want to ensure what you do is completely safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

We have a five bulb chandelier in the room and I put white hue lights in it. Kinda sorry didn't go for the ambience or coloured bulbs. Might not need the lamp with them. Used to find old incandescent bulbs buzzed when dimmed.. Hue doesn't at all. Wife very sense to light so the colour temp option is nicer to have. Of anyone fancies five white bulbs let me know as may swap them out.

Mick,

Are these e14 type?

• Advertisement

Caillte wrote: »
    Mick,

Are these e14 type?

No b22

Caillte wrote: »
    Mick,

Are these e14 type?

White only Hue lights currently only come in B22 & E27

E14 only come in White Ambiance & White & Colour Ambiance.

I’m surprised they haven’t released a White Only E14!

White only Hue lights currently only come in B22 & E27

E14 only come in White Ambiance & White & Colour Ambiance.

I’m surprised they haven’t released a White Only E14!

I'm trying to decide if I should go for white ambience or colour

Just get the colour now and bypass the white ambiance.

You’ll eventually just want colour anyway!!

The only White Ambiane I still have/use are 4 spots on the landing, and 6 spots in the attic. But putting colour in there would just be silly (although the low price of £36 per colour GU10 is rather tempting)

The colours are about 20 euro more expensive than the ambience.. The main thing I want to upgrade for is different colour temps for more relaxed lighting etc.. Not sure if colour would just be for novelty

The colours are about 20 euro more expensive than the ambience.. The main thing I want to upgrade for is different colour temps for more relaxed lighting etc.. Not sure if colour would just be for novelty

You’ll be having a bit of a soirée some day, and will kick yourself that you didn’t plump for the colour bulbs!!

All in I have around 30 various colour bulbs (B22, E27, E14, Strips & Blooms)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I got some white only initially and I eventually replaced them with colour. I use the color quite a bit. Red lights for night lights. Different colors when watching movies. I find them great.

I wouldn't miss them if I never had them, but I did use them a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭irishproduce

@ Those with the switch, can a switch only be paired to one grouping of bulbs or one bulb? i.e one room or scene?

Like if I had a switch, and pressed dim, would it dim all the bulbs that it is programmed to control or is there a way to switch between rooms?
    I see it mentioned having multiple switches so I assume each switch controls a different room/ setup

A Hue dimmer switch can be paired to up to 2 rooms, with however many lights are in each room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Interesting, I received my electricity bill today for the first time since I plugged in all the "always-on" Hue lights in every room in my house and it's about 40% higher than normal (even comparing the last 3 years at this time of year).

€110 vs the usual €76

Advertisement