Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I downloaded one of the Halloween apps and had my colour bulbs in each front window and the front door with the Bluetooth speaker outside and they reacted brilliantly to the music and sound effects but I can't imagine them being as effective for setting the Christmas scene.

The scenes use speakers too ?

Does that include Google home and Echo?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Stoner wrote: »

The Huelloween app does light in effects with sounds to match it, I.e. electrical shock has the lights flashing with the sound to go with it, it’s great craic all together

It's my first Christmas with hue so I'm wondering what people do with their lights over the holiday period?

For me I don’t really do anything apart from change the scene that’s timed to come on in my front room (Christmas tree room) to a more darker scene, with a bit of colour in it (tropical sunset is quite good for this).

I did recently pick up 2 star shaped light shades in Ikea as well as long E14 pendants to put in them, so they’ll probably go upstairs in the front rooms on the window, and be timed to go on off each evening with the Christmas tree.

I did recently pick up 2 star shaped light shades in Ikea as well as long E14 pendants to put in them, so they’ll probably go upstairs in the front rooms on the window, and be timed to go on off each evening with the Christmas tree.

Here’s a pic of 1

€5 for the shade, €5 for the E14 pendant (with about 4m of cord.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »

Over Halloween you could say:
    "Hey Google, make it spooky" and the following would happen (device dependent):
    - GHome plays spooky music
    - Hue lights flash spooky colours throughout the house
    - Shield TV shows spooky cartoon background

Absolutely great fun, kids loved it. This is different from the app, but a nice effect, I'm hoping they do something similar for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What about those set ups I see on YouTube,

This year I'll have four colour changing gu10's in the living room

And a hue go
    And a colour floor lamp

Any recommendations on an app , I remember guys were paying for them
    Is that still the craic

Good call on the Google home command thank you

A birthday one would be nice for kids too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭bren2001

Picked up 6 of the Ikea Tradfri GU10 bulbs yesterday, the €7.50 ones. None of them were showing up when I tried to pair them with the Hue bridge. A couple of hours later, I realised I'd to turn off all other Hue bulbs and place the Ikea light as close to the bridge as possible.

All set up now. Linked to the motion sensor in the kitchen because the switches are in the most annoying places. Will do the same for the downstairs hallway, porch and light at the top of the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

bren2001 wrote: »
    Picked up 6 of the Ikea Tradfri GU10 bulbs yesterday, the €7.50 ones.

Would you have a link? I can only see GU10's for €7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Currently only 4 bulbs. Small house so that's it. Although I have a coloured bulb arriving soon.

I am after a kit with a switch or two and coloured bulbs for my granddaughters. There is a GH in the house but no bulbs. I have a spare hub. They need nightlights so thinking coloured bulbs a better idea. Switches so they can turn the lights on

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Would you have a link? I can only see GU10's for €7

Sorry, it was the €7 ones. Had it in my head they were €7.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Got a starter kit yesterday so went and put the two bulbs in the kitchen. Didn't get much of a chance to play with them so I'll do that over the weekend. I'd like to put one in the downstairs toilet- is there a motion sensor I can pair with it?

Edit- seems a little pricey:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Intelligent-Wireless-Lighting-Accessory/dp/B01KLWXL5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512119118&sr=8-2&keywords=hue+motion+sensor

I'd like to put one in the downstairs toilet- is there a motion sensor I can pair with it?

Edit- seems a little pricey:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Intelligent-Wireless-Lighting-Accessory/dp/B01KLWXL5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512119118&sr=8-2&keywords=hue+motion+sensor

Yes, not cheap, but they work very well, (2 year) battery powered, and a very clever magnetic mount bracket means you can put it virtually anywhere.

You can set daytime & night time on them: ie. Daytime from 7am -8pm - if it senses motion (and it's dark enough, as it also measures light), it will turn on a preset scene of your choosing, then at nighttime, 8pm-7am it will turn on a different scene (again, of your choosing, I have my kitchen & ensuite sensors set to 'Nightlight' scene for during the night).

I've 3 now, and am on the hunt for some more.

Pricey, but well worth it.

Edit: that one you linked is £40. they are actually £34 (usually £35), cheapest I think they ever got was £30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Intelligent-Accessory-HomeKit-Enabled/dp/B0748NCMNW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1512119515&sr=8-16&keywords=hue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Yes, not cheap, but they work very well, (2 year) battery powered, and a very clever magnetic mount bracket means you can put it virtually anywhere.

You can set daytime & night time on them: ie. Daytime from 7am -8pm - if it senses motion (and it's dark enough, as it also measures light), it will turn on a preset scene of your choosing, then at nighttime, 8pm-7am it will turn on a different scene (again, of your choosing, I have my kitchen & ensuite sensors set to 'Nightlight' scene for during the night).

Edit: that one you linked is £40. they are actually £34 (usually £35), cheapest I think they ever got was £30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Intelligent-Accessory-HomeKit-Enabled/dp/B0748NCMNW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1512119515&sr=8-16&keywords=hue

I agree with this this, the sensors are brilliant and mine have worked flawlessly. I have one in the Downstairs toilet and one in the porch area (which is under an alcove but external) and they have worked without fail since setting them up

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I got lucky and got mine for 17 on Amazon earlier in the year. I want more though and can’t bring myself to pay double!

Although amazon seems to be saying 23 was lowest, think that was no lightning/prime day lowest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

How well does the smartthings motion sensor compare with the Hue one? Its only £20 and if it was as seamless, it might work out for people who already have the smartthings hub.

copacetic wrote: »
    I got lucky and got mine for 17 on Amazon earlier in the year. I want more though and can’t bring myself to pay double!

I bought 10 colour GU10’s last year for £50 each, and its heartbreaking to see them as part of the 3 for 2 deals lately!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How well does the smartthings motion sensor compare with the Hue one? Its only £20 and if it was as seamless, it might work out for people who already have the smartthings hub.

I've read, but have no personal experience, that they take longer to respond then the Hue sensors, probably because of the extra hop through the Smart Things Hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

So my lights arrived today but I have a bit of a problem. I have two lights over the kitchen island so I replaced them with the phillips and only one works. At first I thought it was a dud bulb but i switched them around and it did work. I put one of the old bulbs back in and that worked..so it seems whatever is going on I cant get power to both phillips bulbs at the same time???

wingnut32 wrote: »
    So my lights arrived today but I have a bit of a problem. I have two lights over the kitchen island so I replaced them with the phillips and only one works. At first I thought it was a dud bulb but i switched them around and it did work. I put one of the old bulbs back in and that worked..so it seems whatever is going on I cant get power to both phillips bulbs at the same time???

What type bulb are they? GU10?

• Advertisement

e27 colour bulb

e27 colour bulb

do any of the Hue bulbs work in that socket?

Typically in E27 fittings, there is a tab that the centre of the bulb touches (not the threaded part), this tab is semi flexible, and if the original bulb contact was bigger (higher) that the hue one, it will have pushed it out of place, and with the Hue bulb fully screwed it, it will still not make the contact it needs to.

Simple solution is Make Sure the power is OFF at the fitting, and then simply bend the little tab out a small bit. a chopstick would be ideal for doing this (ideally something not metal just in case your isolation is not sound)

It’s the little bronze part in this pic

Didnt work. None of the hues will work with that socket..its a strange one. FOr the life of me I dont know what it could be..the old bulbs were 6.5w the hue is 9.5 could it be something to do with that?

Didnt work. None of the hues will work with that socket..its a strange one. FOr the life of me I dont know what it could be..the old bulbs were 6.5w the hue is 9.5 could it be something to do with that?

If the old bulbs work and the Hue bulbs don't, its most likely the situation AndyBoBandy described above. Your Hue bulb is not making contact, so youve to pry it out (safely) so contact is made.

So what Christmas scene / app are people using?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭roosterman71

3 for 2 offer again available on Amazon

Bit disappointed with the colour GU10s.

Turned the lights in the room green, the hue go and standard ES lamps turn the same colour but, for greens for example the gu10 lamps are poor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

3 for 2 offer again available on

Picked up 3 double pack white ambiance gu10s. This is becoming an addiction ha ha. I'd love to get the full colour but the price is just ridiculous the white ambiance offer a nice go between for me though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Got 3 for 2 off of Amazon recently so now have:

Living room:

2 Bayonet bulbs and a screw-in in the lamp

Toilet:

1 Bayonet bulb

Hallway:

1 Bayonet

Living Room:

1 Bayonet and a screw-in in the lamp

I have one or two bulbs left over which will go into the landing lights.

Today I'm expecting some dimmer switches. After that it'll be a motion sensor or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Set up my Hue lights now, one in hallway with motion sensor and one on upstairs landing.

But goddamnit now I have to upgrade bathroom and the two bedrooms as otherwise I'll have to remember which ones are controlled using Alexa and which ones are manual.

Aaaargh.

Are there still any Amazon deals??

Advertisement