Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

mrcheez wrote: »
    Set up my Hue lights now, one in hallway with motion sensor and one on upstairs landing.

But goddamnit now I have to upgrade bathroom and the two bedrooms as otherwise I'll have to remember which ones are controlled using Alexa and which ones are manual.

Aaaargh.

Are there still any Amazon deals??

3 for 2 on selected Hue bulbs was still active today on Amazon when I looked

• Registered Users Posts: 27,933 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does anyone recommend anything to hang the Lightstrip with?

The sticky isn't great on mine so was looking for something to help hang them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

3 for 2 on selected Hue bulbs was still active today on Amazon when I looked

currys in the north are still price matching amazon if that suits anybody.

and the bridge has dropped to £25 and the motion sensor is £30

hue go lamp is €49

this is what i used to hang my light strips, it was a bit wide but very sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ordered another motion sensor for upstairs bathroom plus 3 more lights with the 3 for 2 deal.

So now with Alexa controlling lights in all rooms in my house, I have no more use for light switches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

donegal. wrote: »
    currys in the north are still price matching amazon if that suits anybody.

and the bridge has dropped to £25 and the motion sensor is £30

hue go lamp is €49

this is what i used to hang my light strips, it was a bit wide but very sticky

Good fix that for the light strips.

Anyone used anything like this for attaching the motion sensors to the wall without using the screw?

Adhesive metal disks 30mm diameter, so would be hidden behind the unit if suitable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-galvanized-double-sided-adhesive-Quantity/dp/B00LLG459O?th=1

I haven't received my sensors yet, just trying to plan ahead.

• Advertisement

Good fix that for the light strips.

Anyone used anything like this for attaching the motion sensors to the wall without using the screw?

Adhesive metal disks 30mm diameter, so would be hidden behind the unit if suitable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-galvanized-double-sided-adhesive-Quantity/dp/B00LLG459O?th=1

I haven't received my sensors yet, just trying to plan ahead.

The magnet on the wall attachment is pretty strong, and the back is flat so that might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Apartment now fully kitted with Hue out ~ not as much as Andy but I'm happy! Took out my ikea ones I was testing and gonna move them to my home house over xmas, try get the family on board :P

Kitchen:
    3 x GU10 White Ambiance
    1 x Motion Sensor

Living Room:
    1 x E27 Colour
    1 x B22 Colour
    1 x Bloom
    1 x Dimmer Switch

Hall:
    1 x B22 Colour
    1 x Sensor

Bathroom:
    1 x E27 White
    1 x Sensor

Bedroom:
    1 x B22
    1 x Dimmer Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭irelandrover

im all set up now as well.

Basement:
    2 white bulbs, top and bottom of stairs
    Motion sensor.

Outside front door:
    White bulb.

Kitchen:
    1 lightstrip
    1 motion sensor

Front hall:
    White bulb
    Dimmer switch
    1 motion sensor on stairs to activate upstairs hall

Living room:
    2 lightstrips
    3 colour bulbs in main ceiling lights
    1 living colours Aura
    2 hue gos
    1 colour bulb in reading lamp
    2 dimmer switches
    1 motion sensor

Front bedroom:
    1 colour bulb
    1 dimmer

Back bedroom:
    1 colour bulb in ceiling light
    1 colour bulb in lamp
    2 dimmer switches

upstairs corridor:
    1 colour bulb
    1 dimmer switch
    1 dimmer switch to control attic
    1 motion sensor on stairs to activate attic

Nursery:
    1 colour bulb
    1 hue Go
    1 dimmer switch

Attic:
    1 colour bulb
    1 lightstrip
    2 dimmer switchs

It seems a lot now that I have written it down. Maybe my wife is correct and i have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Right so I was enquired a few days ago how people incorporated their Hue lights into their Christmas setup so this is what I came up with.

First off don't waste your time with the Hue Christmas app for €1.99 it's completely useless as it auto turns off after 10 minutes, you also only get a handful of short effects and you need to purchase another pack to get songs and moods which are atrocious.

So I have an old Samsung S4 plugged in with Christmas crackers playing on Spotify through a Bose Bluetooth speaker I have on the windowsill in a plastic bag.
    I then have the lights reacting to the music via the huemaniac app which I find is really great and accurate with the musical beats.

So I put two hue blooms in the sitting room window, I have the lightstrip around the tv in the toy room, a hue e27 in the hall and a hue e27 in the ensuite upstairs.

What you can't see in the attached video is the main tv lightstrip, the sitting room floor lamp and the kitchen sink light also reacting.

It's a gif unfortunately without the music because when I tried to video it on my Pixel XL it over illuminated the house for some reason which drowned out the lights.

Merry Christmas

<iframe width="290" height="190" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M4gk8kxjzkc&quot; frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kitchen:
    5x Ambience GU10 (+3 spare)
    1x 2m Strip
    1x Colour B22
    1x Motion Sensor

Hall:
    1x B22 Colour Bulb
    1x B22 Colour Bulb

Sitting Room:
    1x B22 Colour Bulb
    1x Hue Bloom
    1x Harmony Elite
    1x Echo Dot

Games Room:
    1x Echo
    1x Hue Go

Bathroom:
    1x White B22
    1x Motion Sensor

Bedroom:
    1x Hue Bloom
    2x B22 Colour Bulbs
    1x Echo Dot

Spares:
    2x 2m Lightstrip
    1x Dimmer Switch
    3x GU10
    2x Motion Sensors

• Advertisement

Right so I was enquired a few days ago how people incorporated their Hue lights into their Christmas setup so this is what I came up with.

First off don't waste your time with the Hue Christmas app for €1.99 it's completely useless as it auto turns off after 10 minutes, you also only get a handful of short effects and you need to purchase another pack to get songs and moods which are atrocious.

So I have an old Samsung S4 plugged in with Christmas crackers playing on Spotify through a Bose Bluetooth speaker I have on the windowsill in a plastic bag.
    I then have the lights reacting to the music via the huemaniac app which I find is really great and accurate with the musical beats.

So I put two hue blooms in the sitting room window, I have the lightstrip around the tv in the toy room, a hue e27 in the hall and a hue e27 in the ensuite upstairs.

What you can't see in the attached video is the main tv lightstrip, the sitting room floor lamp and the kitchen sink light also reacting.

It's a gif unfortunately without the music because when I tried to video it on my Pixel XL it over illuminated the house for some reason which drowned out the lights.

Merry Christmas

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M4gk8kxjzkc&quot; frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can anyone explain to me why my links or embed codes aren't working please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »

Cheers, still won't work for me even after copying the embed code off that one so I'll throw my hat at it.
    You get the idea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Merry Christmas

<iframe width="290" height="190" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M4gk8kxjzkc&quot; frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is actually an app now that connects to both Spotify and Hue. iLightShow.

Ive used it a few times and it seems good enough.

There is actually an app now that connects to both Spotify and Hue. iLightShow.

Ive used it a few times and it seems good enough.

Thanks very much just downloaded it. Will check it out when I get home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Cheers, still won't work for me even after copying the embed code off that one so I'll throw my hat at it.
    You get the idea anyway.

I'm going to guess it's not as intense as the youtube gif effect makes it! ~ techno techno rave!

Have you lights buried in the grass as well!?
    :pac:

Shlippery wrote: »
    I'm going to guess it's not as intense as the youtube gif effect makes it! ~ techno techno rave!

Have you lights buried in the grass as well!?
    :pac:

Ya obviously the hue lights aren't as on and off as they seem in the gif they are more in tune with the songs and lots of different colours.
    Lights in the grass also yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pretty basic setup myself -

Basement - Sensor attached to the hatch. When movement is detected the strip light behind the tv, the lights in the hall,kitchen and bedroom turn red.

Have a ifttt alert to email me if I'm not at home.

Is it possible to get my Echo to play a Spotify playlist when I trigger a motion sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

My set up;

Kitchen/living room
    2 sensors
    2 dimmer switches
    5 E22 Hue white bulbs

Kitchen press
    1 sensor
    1 colour lightstrip

Outside
    6 Hue White bulbs
    1 dimmer
    (work on arriving/leaving home)

Front room
    1 B22 hue light in a lamp.

The wife never stops complaining when people are over that she can't use the lights and i've cellotaped over the switches on her :)

2 spare B22 bulbs currently.

Lights in the hall are all on the walls and are the glass light shades and the hue bulbs won't fit in...must check out the candle ones maybe...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The wife never stops complaining when people are over that she can't use the lights and i've cellotaped over the switches on her

Lol

That makes you sound like a nut job.

Why not just link out the feed and switch wires ? An electrical switch vasectomy?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The wife never stops complaining when people are over that she can't use the lights and i've cellotaped over the switches on her

Lol

That makes you sound like a nut job.

Why not just link out the feed and switch wires ? An electrical switch vasectomy?

Actually talking of switches I was just going to ask, are there good covers you can get for lightswitches to prevent them being used?

I don't want to take the wiring out

EDIT: actually these might work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/switches-accidental-switching-allowing-intentional/dp/B06XHXN59W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513450121&sr=8-3&keywords=light+switch+protector

I'm struggling to pair the Ikea lamps to the Hue hub.

The hue go fitting don't turn off, this is yet another downside of that

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    I'm struggling to pair the Ikea lamps to the Hue hub.

The hue go fitting don't turn off, this is yet another downside of that

Yeah, I had the same, eventually worked, but a real pain.

Try and have the hub as physically close as possible to the bulb.

I assume these are the newer cheap bulbs? It seems the more expensive Ikea ones are easier to reset.

bk wrote:
    I assume these are the newer cheap bulbs? It seems the more expensive Ikea ones are easier to reset.
    Yes. The 7 euro ones. I've the hue goes in a pot in the car. So the bridge can't see them now.

Did you need to do the switch flick on off x 6 to put the lamp into pair mode.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    Yes. The 7 euro ones. I've the hue goes in a pot in the car. So the bridge can't see them now.

Did you need to do the switch flick on off x 6 to put the lamp into pair mode.

Yes, I had to do on/off x6 dozens of times before it just seemed to work, very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭bren2001

bk wrote: »
    Yes, I had to do on/off x6 dozens of times before it just seemed to work, very frustrating.

I didnt have to do the reset. I did bring the bulb as close to the hub as possible, turned off every other Hue light to avoid interference and used lamp finder on my computer (MAC). Found them every time doing it that way. It was a nightmare prior, randomly found them.

• Advertisement

bk wrote:

Smartthings half picked it up.

I think I need something like lamp finder alright.

Advertisement