Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Sorry for my irrelevant updates, but I FINALLY have my broadband. Kn came out this morning, so thanks to the tech support who actually got things moving after hours of calls. Fault was from something that had been done whilst installing elsewhere (they said any way). They didn't do anything inside my house.

It's fantastic. Good luck to everyone who gets theirs, it really is unbelievable we get these speeds out here in the arse end of nowhere.

You know the rules - speedtest pics or GTFO.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Hi,
    Does anyone have a summary of the packages/providers for FTTH? 
    Not the 3 month introductory price, but the actual long term price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

BandMember wrote: »
    You know the rules - speedtest pics or GTFO.... ;)

Once I've finished downloading ALL the Internet I'll post a pic :)

Edit, ok, couldn't resist: Here's current speedtest result from my phone on 5g wifi (with loads downloading over ethernet). Ping of 6ms which is quite good as I understand :):)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2819198512

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Once I've finished downloading ALL the Internet I'll post a pic :)

Edit, ok, couldn't resist: Here's current speedtest result from my phone on 5g wifi (with loads downloading over ethernet). Ping of 6ms which is quite good as I understand :):)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2819198512

the only issue I am having since I got my broadband is the Wifi. All my devices use 2.4g, can't get 5g on any of my devices.

My TV and PS4 are on wifi 2.4g at the moment, and connect fine and get speeds relative to the distance from the router. No issues at all with the wifi on these devices.

However I am having an issue with mobile devices connected with the 2.4g wifi like smartphones and tablets. The devices appear to get the full wifi signal all the time and generally get great speeds, however frequently data refuses to load and it may take 30 seconds for something to load and then it will work great for a few minutes and drop again then suddenly load everything again. The thing is the wireless signal never shows signs of dropping, yet nothing may load for a certain length of time as if there is no connection, then suddenly works again so it is very intermittent. let me know if you experience 'issues' with the wifi on 2.4g using mobile devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Gonzo wrote: »
    the only issue I am having since I got my broadband is the Wifi. All my devices use 2.4g, can't get 5g on any of my devices.

My TV and PS4 are on wifi 2.4g at the moment, and connect fine and get speeds relative to the distance from the router. No issues at all with the wifi on these devices.

However I am having an issue with mobile devices connected with the 2.4g wifi like smartphones and tablets. The devices appear to get the full wifi signal all the time and generally get great speeds, however frequently data refuses to load and it may take 30 seconds for something to load and then it will work great for a few minutes and drop again then suddenly load everything again. The thing is the wireless signal never shows signs of dropping, yet nothing may load for a certain length of time as if there is no connection, then suddenly works again so it is very intermittent. let me know if you experience 'issues' with the wifi on 2.4g using mobile devices.

That could be interference on the channel - try using a different channel. Generally my experience with 5ghz is that it's less stable than 2.4. With FTTH you should upgrade the whole shagging lot to 5ghz. :-) Friend of mine got fttc installed a few years ago and was wondering why he was getting crap speeds - turned out to be the baby monitor causing interference, I think he just changed the channel it was using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭yammagamma

re FTTH and absolutely no usage limits,and unlimited used in advertising the word limit is defined in company law is it not as in a limited company so therefore it has a quontum and therefore the reverse holds true ie unlimited has no quontum, also the courts/other bodies ruled did they not in people missold mortgate protection that the advertising/sales formed part of the contract and the person was not expected to read every word line of the contract and so were missold a product,,

and on another note the fibre cables are hanging fair close when lads go up the road on tractors and the front bucket/forks up in the air and also artic trucks ,i can see so many stoppages breaks around the country ,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

damienirel wrote: »
    That could be interference on the channel - try using a different channel. Generally my experience with 5ghz is that it's less stable than 2.4. With FTTH you should upgrade the whole shagging lot to 5ghz. :-) Friend of mine got fttc installed a few years ago and was wondering why he was getting crap speeds - turned out to be the baby monitor causing interference, I think he just changed the channel it was using.

I'll give that a shot!

the thing is very few devices support 5g

Currently I use these devices and none of them support 5G unfortunately-

1 - PS4
    2 - Sony TV 1080p
    3 - Huawei p9 lite
    4 - Google Nexus 7 (2014)

I have 2 desktop pc's both are wired to the network, I am planning to wire the TV and PS4 to the network at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sytax Error

4mg lined connection I could live with until FTTH!!

Me too...this is as fast as I can get...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Does anyone know the carrying capacity of trunk fibre cables? I am seeing a slim fibre cable on poles not too far away from an exchange with 3 multicore copper cables underneath. Could the cable be carrying data to up to about 200 premises? Will contention be an issue in places in the future?
    Just some perspective on this: I don't know what brand of cable (or strand count) eir are using on any given run, but it's possible to get aerial cable with 144 fibre strands at only 15mm diameter. Each of those strands could be split 32 ways to provide connections to 4,608 premises.

I'm not saying that's how it is cabled - just that you shouldn't worry about the size of the fibre cables. They've got adequate capacity.
    yammagamma wrote: »
    and on another note the fibre cables are hanging fair close when lads go up the road on tractors and the front bucket/forks up in the air and also artic trucks ,i can see so many stoppages breaks around the country ,
    All cables crossing roads are installed at a specified minimum height, I think it's around 5.2m or so. Road-going vehicles have a height limit well below this, I think it's 4.65m. Even with forks raised, tractors can easily clear the lines. They've been driving under copper lines for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Same problem here. Also Admin console can be very slow to open at times.

Last night I changed the wifi channels, disabled 5ghz and also used Google dns instead of Eirs. I also disabled the host wifi yesterday.

No time to test fully last night but looked to have improved things with the wifi. Slow admin console load is annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Sytax Error

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Just some perspective on this: I don't know what brand of cable (or strand count) eir are using on any given run, but it's possible to get aerial cable with 144 fibre strands at only 15mm diameter. Each of those strands could be split 32 ways to provide connections to 4,608 premises.

I'm not saying that's how it is cabled - just that you shouldn't worry about the size of the fibre cables. They've got adequate capacity.

All cables crossing roads are installed at a specified minimum height, I think it's around 5.2m or so. Road-going vehicles have a height limit well below this, I think it's 4.65m. Even with forks raised, tractors can easily clear the lines. They've been driving under copper lines for years.

See:

http://www.acome.fr/en/content/download/28192/530416/file/UND1534%20Outdoor%20Distribution%20Cable%20Aerail%20Duct%2002%20to%20288%20Fo.pdf

Eir are using a 36 core cable - more than enough capacity for quite some time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I got some related info back in Jan .......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102307853&postcount=3013
    It is 36 core, 12 each of three different colours ....... and one of those colour batches is reserved for some future use, so 24 fibres to be used.

I'll give that a shot!

the thing is very few devices support 5g

Currently I use these devices and none of them support 5G unfortunately-

1 - PS4
    2 - Sony TV 1080p
    3 - Huawei p9 lite
    4 - Google Nexus 7 (2014)

I have 2 desktop pc's both are wired to the network, I am planning to wire the TV and PS4 to the network at some point.

Yeah I'm soooo FTTH ready it's ridiculous, I even considered running fibre internally during the build a few years back! My TVs, pcs, xbox are all ethernet connected to a gigabit switch. My phone is 5ghz and I've got the nexus 9.
    So eir - get your ass in gear and fire up the fibre on my road.:D
    Feels like i've been stuck in a time warp since I moved here.

damienirel wrote: »
    Yeah I'm soooo FTTH ready it's ridiculous, I even considered running fibre internally during the build a few years back! My TVs, pcs, xbox are all ethernet connected to a gigabit switch. My phone is 5ghz and I've got the nexus 9.
    So eir - get your ass in gear and fire up the fibre on my road.:D
    Feels like i've been stuck in a time warp since I moved here.

When you get it there is no turning back! I have it now almost 3 weeks and could never go back to my old connection. You will be the same. Really looking forward to everyone getting their connections sorted and seeing pics/speedtests. When is your area due to go live? They are really starting to power through the rollout now, compared to up to a few months ago.

Yesterday I saw new wiring in the Tara exchange north of Dunshaughlin near Ross Cross. Whole area looks to be wired up, splitters not installed yet tho.

When you get it there is no turning back! I have it now almost 3 weeks and could never go back to my old connection. You will be the same. Really looking forward to everyone getting their connections sorted and seeing pics/speedtests. When is your area due to go live? They are really starting to power through the rollout now, compared to up to a few months ago.

Yesterday I saw new wiring in the Tara exchange north of Dunshaughlin near Ross Cross. Whole area looks to be wired up, splitters not installed yet tho.

Mine is down for the end - typical - winter 2018 - but I live in hope since a few exchanges jumped forward.

Yeah 5ghz is pretty decent I copy files now and again from my laptop to my pc and it's much faster to copy them over the ac wireless than my crappy USB keys, handy for backing stuff up etc. Would really go hand in hand with FTTH.

With Eir's F2000 modem, It has been reported by various other customers that there is often an issue with the wifi at 2.4g, but the 5g works fine. Unfortunately none of my devices support 5g, I am particularly surprised by the huawei p9 lite which is a decent phone only only released last year, it only supports 2.4.

When friends call over they have to use their wireless provider as the Wifi is just too unreliable on mobile devices. I will try all the wireless channels to see if it will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

First person in my neighbourhood got the fibre in, I see the line is carried along the outside wall, the same install Gonzo got .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I've asked this before, but I'm curious whether anyone with FTTH is hitting the limit of their download speed and being constrained by it. I'm curious whether I would hit the limit even with 350m/bits, and clearly this is P2P I'm talking about.

I'm on FTTC and hit my limit now on a daily basis.

Untitled_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Pangea wrote: »
    First person in my neighbourhood got the fibre in, I see the line is carried along the outside wall, the same install Gonzo got .
    First person in my neighbourhood got the fibre in, .

Ditto.

Chatting to the KN crew they said they couldn't install in an attic. Said they had an email about it Fire risk or some such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

long_b wrote: »
    Ditto.

Chatting to the KN crew they said they couldn't install in an attic. Said they had an email about it Fire risk or some such thing.

Mine went through the attic, but that was 2 weeks ago, so maybe it's changed again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Ditto.

Thanks Sounds like they want to cut down their install times. Considering that electric 230 volt cables are running through attics, fibre cables should be fine.

Thanks Sounds like they want to cut down their install times. Considering that electric 230 volt cables are running through attics, fibre cables should be fine.

It is not the cables that would be the worry ........ they do not want the responsibility for having a powered device put in there. Power supplies can fail, and cause serious problems if not noticed.

I would never recommend an attic install of any powered equipment.

It is not the cables that would be the worry ........ they do not want the responsibility for having a powered device put in there. Power supplies can fail, and cause serious problems if not noticed.

I would never recommend an attic install of any powered equipment.

Oh I see what you mean. Sorry I didn't mean actual attic install, i meant putting the cables through the attic and dragging it down to the desired room. Something which I hope to do.

Oh I see what you mean. Sorry I didn't mean actual attic install, i meant putting the cables through the attic and dragging it down to the desired room. Something which I hope to do.

From the info posted on here there seems to be only a short cable from the passive unit to the powered one so I don't know how that would work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

It's a bit strange because when I told them my house was an unobstructed overhead cable to the gable-end they were all "Oh I hope we get that install so".

If they're reluctant to deal with attics (as I've heard) they must be just glad it's not ducted and will be planning to go around the fascia.

Guy at work was telling me that his sister had to get them out 3 times to finish her install due to duct issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

KOR101 wrote: »
    I've asked this before, but I'm curious whether anyone with FTTH is hitting the limit of their download speed and being constrained by it. I'm curious whether I would hit the limit even with 350m/bits, and clearly this is P2P I'm talking about.

I'm on FTTC and hit my limit now on a daily basis.

Untitled_1.jpg

45 GB how long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭overtime

Got mine installed today - still can't believe it

last speedtest from Vodafone this morning:

6246160113.png

And over wifi this evening:

6247121437.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That's some difference!

On the install side of things I was wondering about this myself. My master socket currently is upstairs in the 'hotpress', although it's not an actual hotpress as no hot water tank in there. That is where I have a small node 0 type set up. All network cables from house go back to there, and I then have a few wireless routers providing wifi around the house.

For FTTH I assume it's a fibre cable that goes into the modem, and if so how will they get this to this room which is upstairs in our house. Currently where the phoneline comes into the house, I think they used a pair in one of the network cables that's in that downstairs room to bring the line back up to the hotpress and install the faceplate there.

Will they just put a new faceplate in the room where the line enters the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 John1993W

I was on to an eir rep on the forums over my eircode being a stumbling block for me to get fibre.

I quote "the cabinet is live... fibre is subject to availability and we would be unable to guarantee the service to you".

Whatever the hell that means.

My neighbours either side of me are passing, they are no greater than 15ft each side. Worst thing is, they don't even have internet in their homes! Both elderly couples well into their late 70s/early 80s and have absolutely no intention of getting internet let alone fiber.

My house is on the yellow line and is marked as a "Light Blue" candidate on the Department of Communications website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭overtime

vintagevrs wrote: »
    That's some difference!

On the install side of things I was wondering about this myself. My master socket currently is upstairs in the 'hotpress', although it's not an actual hotpress as no hot water tank in there. That is where I have a small node 0 type set up. All network cables from house go back to there, and I then have a few wireless routers providing wifi around the house.

For FTTH I assume it's a fibre cable that goes into the modem, and if so how will they get this to this room which is upstairs in our house. Currently where the phoneline comes into the house, I think they used a pair in one of the network cables that's in that downstairs room to bring the line back up to the hotpress and install the faceplate there.

Will they just put a new faceplate in the room where the line enters the house?
    Same setup with me except all network cables come back to a cabinet under the stairs. The original telephone line wasn't in an ideal position but wasn't a runner anyway because the ducting was blocked somewhere along the way. Anyway he was happy to feed the fibre line in at the gable as long as I did the work in the attic (which of course I was perfectly willing to do) and I fed the fibre down some piping I'd left in place when I built the house for an occasion just like this. Regarding faceplate I don't know as I just went for Standalone (no phone at all) but I imagine the phones just attach to the modem unless that's for VoIP???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement