Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best running books...

Options
  • 12-07-2011 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

started to do alot more reading of late.Reading tergats book at the moment and just finished running with the legends and Ian O riordans book.
    anyone reccomend a good read?
    mate of mine says Charlie Speddings book si the best he has read From last to First.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Depends on the sort of book you're looking for - a biographical sort of book, ones depicting races, training books.

I've a rake of running books(I'm a little obsessed) post a wishlist you're welcome to a lend of any of them, never read Spedding's book - just goggled it though, sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Dick Bardsley's is a brilliant read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kev.f

'born to run' by christopher something or other. its class :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Gerry Duffy Who dares runs...............if your looking for inspiration its the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Once a runner is the best book written about running imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Spedding's book is good.
    Born to run is a great read. Chris McDougall is the author's name IIRC.
    Sonia brought out one with Tom Humphries a few years ago that was worth a read. Think it's just called 'Sonia'.
    Paula Radcliffe published one just after Athens so it's a little out of date now. Many found it pretty dry which it was but I thought it gave some useful insights into the mindset of an elite runner.
    Eamonn Coghlan's 'Chairman of the boards, master of the mile' was written with the recently deceased George Kimball and isn't too bad.

As an aside one of the best sporting biographies I have ever read is 'Open' by Andre Agassi. It

Clearlier wrote: »
    Spedding's book is good.
    Born to run is a great read. Chris McDougall is the author's name IIRC.
    Sonia brought out one with Tom Humphries a few years ago that was worth a read. Think it's just called 'Sonia'.
    Paula Radcliffe published one just after Athens so it's a little out of date now. Many found it pretty dry which it was but I thought it gave some useful insights into the mindset of an elite runner.
    Eamonn Coghlan's 'Chairman of the boards, master of the mile' was written with the recently deceased George Kimball and isn't too bad.

As an aside one of the best sporting biographies I have ever read is 'Open' by Andre Agassi. It

+1 AND +2 on those in bold !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

kev.f wrote: »
    'born to run' by christopher something or other. its class :)

-1 on that one. Really did my head in, is up there with Dean Karnazes self indulgent horse crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Dick Bardsley's is a brilliant read.

Just ordered this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I am going thru a major book reading phase, bought a good few awhile ago, here is a list i read and what i thought of them

Paula Radcliffe (very good).
    Sonia O'sullivan (good)
    Haile Gebrselassie (ok)
    Ultramarathon man Dean Karnazes (very good)
    50 marathons in 50 days Dean Karnazes (very good)
    Bron to Run (very good)
    P&D (very good)
    Run faster Run Less( only started)
    What i talk about when I talk about Running: Haruki Murakami (not great)
    RUN! Dean Karnazes (not read yet)
    Why we Run: Robin Harvie(not read yet)

Non Running Books:

Paul McGrath (very good)
    Roy Keane (ok)
    Pete Sampras (not great)
    Agassi Open (not read yet)
    Will buy more in a few months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

"The Perfect Distance" by Pat Butcher, about the Coe/Ovett rivalry in the 80's. Good rather than great read, but great for evoking memories from anyone who grew up watching that era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

gerard65 wrote: »

Just bought this after seeing your post...It better be good!!!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

belcarra wrote: »
    Just bought this after seeing your post...It better be good!!!
    :p

Excellent read. This plus 'Born to Run' are the two best I have read in the past month's enforced layoff - and I have read lots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

'The lore of running' by Tim Noakes is amazing. It's my running bible. It has tons of information for all types of runner. Covers everything from physiology to diet to training programs to race strategies. Its very scientific and well researched.

One other book about running I like is 'Feet in the clouds'. It's about hill/ fell running. It's not a technical book, just talks about the hill running scene, covering different races and discussing some of the legendary hill runners. I've never done a hill race but I loved this book and it made me want to run more.

I also found Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald. Deals with nutrition, diet, time to eat, time to drink etc. A wealth of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Once a runner is the best book written about running imo.

Cheers for that, I'm going to order it. The reviews on Amazon are very positive too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1416597891/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R2DK6OYT8PXEQC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I'm shocked. Being late to the party I was sucre someone would have suggested one of these atleast:

The perfect mile by Neil Bascomb (One of the best running books I have read)

Follows three athletes; Roger Bannister, John Landy and Wes Santee similtaneously in their quest to be the first sub 4 miler and culminates at the Miracle Mile at the Empire Games in Vancouver in 1954.

Running with the Buffalos by Chris Lear

Based around the true events of a US college XC team in their quest for the NCAA team title (and individual of Adam Goucher). Inspring book well worth a read

Among the training related books that I would recommend:

The Lore of Running by Tim Noakes
    Daniels Running Formula by Jack Daniels
    Health Intelligent Training by Ken Livingstone (highly based off Lydiards methodology)

Among the books wouldnt say are that worth reading personally are the Perfect Distance (agree with DP here) and Sonia O' Sullivans bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I've just gone and ordered
    From first to last by Charlie Spedding

Once a runner by J Parker

The Ghost runner by B Jone

This last one sounds really interesting
    The mystery man threw off his disguise and started to run. Furious stewards gave chase. The crowd roared.

A legend was born. Soon the world would know him as ‘the ghost runner’. John Tarrant. The extraordinary man whom nobody could stop. As a hapless teenage boxer in the 1950s, he’d been paid £17 expenses. When he wanted to run, he was banned for life. His amateur status had been compromised. Forever. Now he was fighting back, gatecrashing races all over Britain. No number on his shirt. No friends in high places. Soon he would be a record-breaker, one of the greatest long-distance runners the world has ever seen.

This is his true story: The Ghost Runner.

Also I agree with Running with buffaloes and I still have RRs copy, must return it.

Woddle wrote: »

Once a runner by J Parker

The Ghost runner by B Jone

This last one sounds really interesting

Also I agree with Running with buffaloes and I still have RRs copy, must return it.

think thats my copy as I just remembered i still have your Looniness of a Marathon runner sitting in my room :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Woddle wrote: »

I was intrigued by this title until I realised you'd made a hames of it!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

"The Perfect Distance" by Pat Butcher, about the Coe/Ovett rivalry in the 80's. Good rather than great read, but great for evoking memories from anyone who grew up watching that era.

She doesn't look much like a runner... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I also found Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald. Deals with nutrition, diet, time to eat, time to drink etc. A wealth of information.

Bought his "Brain Training for Runners" a few years ago (and found it useful ). Then he comes out with "Run" in which he basically says - I was wrong - ignore everything I wrote to this point and just carry on with what you were doing :mad:. Really not sure I'd recommend his approach until he decides what it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Several good ones recommended, Charlie Spedding's book is one of the most well-written I have come across. Others I would recommend:

- A Cold Clear Day (the story of Buddy Edelen, the first man to break 2:20 for the marathon. Simple touching story)
    - Bowerman and the Men of Oregon (probably the most running history crammed into one book, beautifully written by Kenny Moore, engaging drama)
    - Arthur Lydiard - Master Coach (another good but not great book, but the only biography available on the master and a solid piece of work that just left me wanting it to be more)
    - On the Wings of Mercury, the Lorraine Moller story (brutally honest and open account with plenty of laughs)
    - A Clean Pair of Heels, The Murray Halberg Story (finally got my hand of this one, from 1965, a few chapters in and it is already a mesmerising read)
    - Survival of the Fittest (not a running book exclusively, but with plenty of running, a nostalgic one for me as it was the first endurance book I bought before Feet in the Clouds became the second)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Bareboot Runner by Paul Rambali.

A biographic novel about Abede Bikele. Interesting read as it covers an era where Haile Selaisse was emperor of Ethiopia (the big emperor i guess!), and the greatest runner of his age had to prove he was fit to compete against white athletes in the Olympics by carrying out threadmill tests.(We really have a shameful imperial history and hangover in Europe).

It tells how he was lucky to survive a period as body guard to the emperor and how, as a boy, he dreamed of racing the sun to distant lands.

T runner wrote: »
    Bareboot Runner by Paul Rambali.

A biographic novel about Abede Bikele. Interesting read as it covers an era where Haile Selaisse was emperor of Ethiopia (the big emperor i guess!), and the greatest runner of his age had to prove he was fit to compete against white athletes in the Olympics by carrying out threadmill tests.(We really have a shameful imperial history and hangover in Europe).

It tells how he was lucky to survive a period as body guard to the emperor and how, as a boy, he dreamed of racing the sun to distant lands.

Was this not because he burst his appendix like 6 weeks before the marathon? As far as i know Haile Selaisse was the last emperor of ethiopia ( remember reading about this in Gebs biography)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 400

Dwain Chambers - Race Against Me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

ecoli wrote: »
    Was this not because he burst his appendix like 6 weeks before the marathon? As far as i know Haile Selaisse was the last emperor of ethiopia ( remember reading about this in Gebs biography)

The appendicitus was before the 1964 Olympics, he had already won in Rome in 1960. He ran and won Tokyo 60 days after that diagnosis.

Initially, A Swede was brought in to train the Ethiopian Military athletes with a view to high level achievement.

Black athletes had been allowed to compete for the States before but the elitist OLympics had never entertained black African athletes.

Thus Onni Niskanen, had to convince the powers that be to allow his Ethiopians to compete.

The story is about him as much as Bikila. He help set up the red cross and many other Aid organisations before duringa nd after his time as trainer.

My "imperial" comment was to not that imperial "white" attitudes and impediments to Africans had carried on that far into teh 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Some great tips here. Adding them to my wishlist!

Definitely thought that Feet in the Clouds was a brilliant book. I wasn't pushed about the "a year in fell-running" sections but the history and the descriptions of the races were class.

As an Irish plug, although I haven't read it yet (I have ordered the paperback version from the author) Moire O Sullivan's book, Mud, Sweat and Tears on being the first person to complete the Wicklow Round (the Irish equivalent of the Bob Graham Round, a savage circuit to be completed in 24 hours) looks good

http://moireosullivan.com/2011/06/11/new-book-release-mud-sweat-and-tears/

I loved Born to Run as well. Both of these books I'd consider to be ones which really change the way I thought about running. Speaking of which Scottr Jurek is finishing writing a book at the moment apparently.

I found the Paula bookto be boring and whiny to be honest. Although it does show you how close to injury elite athletes are all the time. And she gives massive props to our own Gerard Hartmann.

I'm reading the Akebe Bikila book Barefoot Runner at the moment, which I'm really liking and I'd be very interested in reading the Charlie Spedding book after hearing an interview with him on the Marathon Talk podcast (which is definitely worth checking out, especially the Tim Noakes interview and the ones with multiple Comrades winner Bruce Fordyce)

I read this book on the Marathon des Sables but to be honest I thought it was badly written and not really worth it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marathon-Sables-Enduring-Toughest-Footrace/dp/0955380014

The Ray Zahab book, Running for my Life was better.

I know it's not running (although some people run the LDWA walks of course) but I really recommend Out on your Feet. A book about 100 mile walks organised by the Long Distance Walkers Association

What I talk about when I talk about Running I found to be pretty boring too tbh.

For training books Chirunning was good but I haven't plucked up the courage to completely change my running style. And I still return again and again to The Competitive Runner's Handbook (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Competitive-Runners-Handbook-Robert-Glover/dp/0140469907/ref=pd_sim_b_1)

I have Tim Noake's Lore of Running. I just need 6 months to read the bloody thing!

I'm really looking for a good one on psychology, toughening up mentally. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is that brain training book any good?

Ro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Michael Johnson's book, Slaying The Dragon, released just after the 1996 olympics where he ran two world records is a great read.

Advertisement