Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best running books...

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I've just finished reading "Beyond impossible" by Mimi Anderson and I'd highly recommend it.
    She was a recovering anorexic and mother of three who started running at the age of 36 to try and make her legs thinner. After completing her first half marathon she signed up for marathon Des sables (which is an ultra across the Sahara)! Can you imagine the response on here to a 36 year old woman who just ran her first ever half and then said she was planning on doing that!

Anyway, she completed it and became addicted to ultras. I think it was tbubendorfer on here who met her doing spartathlon. She ran it and then turned around and ran it again! She's 55 now and planning on running from san Francisco to New York in a few weeks.

She seems very down to earth but likes to dress up too. She finished the marathon de sables in a sparkly minidress and she's had some great reactions from people who thought the lady in the skirt and pink lipstick couldn't possibly be an ultra runner.

It's a really amazing story and very inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Anybody read any good books lately, looking at getting a few for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

OOnegative wrote: »
    Anybody read any good books lately, looking at getting a few for Christmas.

These two have been mentioned a lot up thread, very good if you haven't read them
    Feet in the Clouds
    From Last to First

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is good if you already like Murakami

RayCun wrote: »
    These two have been mentioned a lot up thread, very good if you haven't read them
    Feet in the Clouds
    From Last to First

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is good if you already like Murakami

Have read From Last to First 3-4 times, will check out the others Ray, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Read The Brave Athlete: Calm the F*ck Down and Rise to the Occasion recently, after hearing the authors interviewed on Marathon Talk. It's about the phycology of running and racing- some interesting stuff in there for those (like me) who find the mental side of racing difficult 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

It's been mentioned already, and it's not specifically a book about athletics, but I read The Sports Gene by David Epstein recently and I enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm listening to Bowerman and the men of Oregan at the moment (about half way through), a bit of a slow burner, takes you from his childhood and before but it's an excellent historical look back to that era.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'm listening to Bowerman and the men of Oregan at the moment (about half way through), a bit of a slow burner, takes you from his childhood and before but it's an excellent historical look back to that era.

Started reading the book 2-3 times but gave up, as you said start is a very slow burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

OOnegative wrote: »
    Started reading the book 2-3 times but gave up, as you said start is a very slow burner.

Audio book is the only way on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

sideswipe wrote: »
    Read The Brave Athlete: Calm the F*ck Down and Rise to the Occasion recently, after hearing the authors interviewed on Marathon Talk. It's about the phycology of running and racing- some interesting stuff in there for those (like me) who find the mental side of racing difficult 7/10.

I could do with improvement on the mental side of things so I've just ordered this book as Mrs TbL's xmas present to me :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

saw this mentioned on twitter, haven't read it though
    A Cold, Clear Day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Have this in my 'to read' pile- Redemption- Iron bars to Iron Man Has some great reviews, will report back.

Have this in my 'to read' pile- Redemption- Iron bars to Iron Man Has some great reviews, will report back.

Same as, getting stuck into it over next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

RayCun wrote: »
    saw this mentioned on twitter, haven't read it though
    A Cold, Clear Day

Its a good read. Very detailed in terms of sessions times etc but not as detailed in terms of emotional/personal side of things. Shows in detail what is required to be a top class runner ie loads of miles and very little else. Its mote like a yraining diary than a book.

It's more Reggie & Ronnie some 9 chapters in.

Advertisement