Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best running books...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Speed Trap by Charlie Francis (coach to Ben Johnson) is an excellent book on a number of levels. Well worth getting hold of.

Bruce Tulloh's Four Million Footsteps is a collector's item now - it follows his his coast-to-coast run across America in 1969.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

For a self coached athlete, Daniels running formula is the most comprehensive read, he caters all distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Got 'Running to the top' by Arthur Lydiard. Very good training manual, 'old-school' but very good idea's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

gerard65 wrote: »
    Got 'Running to the top' by Arthur Lydiard. Very good training manual, 'old-school' but very good idea's.

Healthy Intelligent training by Ken Livingstone is a more modern version of Lydiards training approach that is worth a read. Its the same basic manually but rather explains it with reference to the science to back it up. Well worth a read

ecoli wrote: »
    Healthy Intelligent training by Ken Livingstone is a more modern version of Lydiards training approach that is worth a read. Its the same basic manually but rather explains it with reference to the science to back it up. Well worth a read
    I got this as well. Will start reading it this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Woddle wrote: »

Just thought I'd give an update.
    Charlie Speddings book is very enjoyable.
    I don't know why he made the first chapter the first chapter though. I feel like I got sth out of the book that I can apply to my running. If anyone (who I know in the real world) wants a lend let me know.

Once a runner sucks ass and I've given up on it, the only other running book I've not finished was the crap load what I think about when I'm running so make of that what you will. If anyone wants it again real world you can have it and I won't want it back.

I've only started the ghost runner and it's ok so far.

Once a runner sucks ass and I've given up on it, the only other running book I've not finished was the crap load what I think about when I'm running so make of that what you will. If anyone wants it again real world you can have it and I won't want it back.
    I thought 'Once a Runner' was alright, but not as good as it was made out to be, and the ending was a bit naff. I agree about 'What I think..........', just did'nt get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

belcarra wrote: »
    Just bought this after seeing your post...It better be good!!!
    :p

Excellent read - one of the best running books I've read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Murta wrote: »
    Excellent read - one of the best running books I've read so far.

I must admit I'm about 1/3 of the way through this and it hasn't lit up my World so far...
    Some good old yarns but I'm finding the monthly tracking of the contemporary runner's seasons to be a little boring.

Still though, I'll get stuck back into it before dismissing it.

...Now if only I could find a bit of spare time to read outside of constantly bloody running! :p

"The Perfect Distance" by Pat Butcher, about the Coe/Ovett rivalry in the 80's. Good rather than great read, but great for evoking memories from anyone who grew up watching that era.

Running times have an article on Coe and apparently it's getting made into a film.

• Advertisement

Running times have an article on Coe and apparently it's getting made into a film.

There has been talk of this for the last 2-3 years, I remember getting excited when i first heard this however I dont think they are any further down the line since i heard that.
    Hopefully the London Olympics might light a fire under the project to try and coincide with the games for maximum appeal though somehow I doubt it

Just saw this:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/list-of-running-books-movies

found 5 interesting ones I dont have so i bought them. Gonna keep me busy :D

ecoli wrote: »
    Hopefully the London Olympics might light a fire under the project to try and coincide with the games for maximum appeal though somehow I doubt it

Hopefully
    http://www.globerunner.org/index.php/book/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Quite liked Born to Run but did skip a chapter due to time constraints
    Just finished Who dares runs and thought it was a good read

Then there's the usual P&D, JD and Galloway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Just finished reading 'Miles To Run, Promises To Keep' by Ian O'Riordan.

The more I read into it, the less I like him! Based on his opinions & attitudes. He even admitted himself that at one point he used to basically look down his nose at us 'ordinary runners' as if to say 'why are you even bothering?'

But he seems to have changed his opinion as he matured and I liked reading the last few chapters.

I'm still at a loss as to what the 'promises to keep' were though!

Next one I'm gonna get stuck into is Gerry Duffy's one about his 32 marathons in 32 days. Looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Just finished reading 'Miles To Run, Promises To Keep' by Ian O'Riordan.

The more I read into it, the less I like him! Based on his opinions & attitudes. He even admitted himself that at one point he used to basically look down his nose at us 'ordinary runners' as if to say 'why are you even bothering?'

But he seems to have changed his opinion as he matured and I liked reading the last few chapters.

I'm still at a loss as to what the 'promises to keep' were though!

Started off enjoying this book but I still have not finished it, too easy to put down. Felt too much like a series of articles (which it is). He is a good writer but this book badly needed a good editor to eliminate all the repetition and put some structure on it.

Been mentioned before but just to give it another endorsement:
    'Healthy Intelligent Training' by Keith Livingstone is a very good training manual. It follows Arthur Lydiard's principles. Its a good read from cover to cover but I've also got alot from dipping in and out. If you feel you've hit a plateau or gone stale its worth a read. For middle and long distance training.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Not sure if it's been said, but The Self-Coached Runner by Allan Lawrence is well worth a look. Loads of good info and schedules for various times for most distances (e.g. sub 32 10k, sub 35 10k, sub 40 10k, sub 3 marathon, sub 3:30 marathon etc).

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Coached-Runner-Vol-1/dp/0316516716

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Running Through The Wall is well worth a read- a collection of short stories by ultramarathoners of varying levels (including eg Ann Trason) compiled by Neil Jamison. Can be got on amazon, havent seen it on the shelves.

Wasnt overly enamoured by ian o'riordan's book. Loved Born to Run and Ultramarathon Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

dna_leri wrote: »
    Started off enjoying this book but I still have not finished it, too easy to put down. Felt too much like a series of articles (which it is). He is a good writer but this book badly needed a good editor to eliminate all the repetition and put some structure on it.

I agree, I found that there were numerous spelling mistakes and bad grammar throughout this book.

Also, as you said, because it was a series of articles there was a lot of repetition. Where 2 articles that were possibly written years apart but that make reference to the same person etc. are inserted one after the other into the book with no link between them it just makes the whole book feel disjointed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Being generally new to running I decided I would give some of the books on here a read through...I downloaded the audio book of 'Born to Run'. Must say I am really enjoying it. I feel like running everytime I listen to it so well worth a go in my opinion.

Have a hard copy of Healthy Intelligent Training on order from Amazon :)

Dick Bardsley's is a brilliant read.

Just finished this. I liked the first 2/3rds but it just fizzled out for me towards the end, I didn't really care about his problems.

My next read
    Gold rush by Michael Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have Paula's book sitting by the bed, next on the list after Lydiard

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

Feet in the clouds by Richard Askwith is a great read, never heard of guys like Kenny Stuart, Billy Bland, or Joss Naylor before I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

"The Perfect Distance" by Pat Butcher, about the Coe/Ovett rivalry in the 80's. Good rather than great read, but great for evoking memories from anyone who grew up watching that era.

Didnt know Fat pat from Eastenders was a closet runner. Closet pie eater maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

gerard65 wrote: »
    Been mentioned before but just to give it another endorsement:
    'Healthy Intelligent Training' by Keith Livingstone is a very good training manual. It follows Arthur Lydiard's principles. Its a good read from cover to cover but I've also got alot from dipping in and out. If you feel you've hit a plateau or gone stale its worth a read. For middle and long distance training.

Livingstone discusses his bibliography at the back of the book. He recommends Daniel's and P&D amongst others, but the book, the only one, he regards as a classic is 'Lore of Running'.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Born to Run is, in my humble opinion and amazing read. So much to learn from this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

I think there is one very good title missing from the thread.

Bart Yasso - My Life on the Run (yes, the Yasso800's Guy)
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/My-Life-on-Run-Bart-Yasso/9781605298276

No preachy preachy stuff, basically an autobiography from someone who has somthing interesting to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I am going thru a major book reading phase, bought a good few awhile ago, here is a list i read and what i thought of them

Paula Radcliffe (very good).
    Sonia O'sullivan (good)
    Haile Gebrselassie (ok)
    Ultramarathon man Dean Karnazes (very good)
    50 marathons in 50 days Dean Karnazes (very good)
    Bron to Run (very good)
    P&D (very good)
    Run faster Run Less( only started)
    What i talk about when I talk about Running: Haruki Murakami (not great)
    RUN! Dean Karnazes (not read yet)
    Why we Run: Robin Harvie(not read yet)

Non Running Books:

Paul McGrath (very good)
    Roy Keane (ok)
    Pete Sampras (not great)
    Agassi Open (not read yet)
    Will buy more in a few months

Just thought i update this list, have read a good few of them now.

Agassi Open (Really good)
    Why we Run: Robin Harvie(not great)
    RUN! Dean Karnazes (good, getting bored of him now)
    Run faster Run Less( average)

New books i ordered today:
    Daniels' Running Formula
    Feet in the Clouds
    Once a Runner
    The Ghost Runner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Loved Born to run too. Also loved Survival of the Fittest by Mike Stroud - Not a running book as such but plenty around running in it along with theory on fitness, adventure racing etc. good read.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Survival-Fittest-Mike-Stroud/9780224075077

Advertisement