Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wfs forestry investment

Options
  • 09-04-2019 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My Dad is easing back on the farming and was planing on leasing some land. I havent got the details but it appears a company called WFS Ireland expressed an interest in one large field and as far as I can see its a forestry/investment company.

They were mentioned briefly in a thread 2 years ago but Idont see anything else.

I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this crowd before and what are they like? thx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭rgossip30

My Dad is easing back on the farming and was planing on leasing some land. I havent got the details but it appears a company called WFS Ireland expressed an interest in one large field and as far as I can see its a forestry/investment company.

They were mentioned briefly in a thread 2 years ago but Idont see anything else.

I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this crowd before and what are they like? thx.

They have a new offer for Christmas trees in the UK . They claim the crop is insured and sent me a not too convincing policy with some of the numbers blocked . . In the past many such companies had dismal results . https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/wfs-forestry-investment-nordmann-fir.209475/. I suggest you read this thread many complaints. https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/investment-in-irish-forestry-funds.6699/page-13. A mixed report from the Irish Times .https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/forestry-investment-blossoming-in-face-of-data-dearth-1.2466138. A check on this new company. https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Wfs-Forestry-Ireland-Limited-582400

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Monzy

Hi,
    Do anyone know about this company?
    Am planning to do an investment with them.
    Invest from €5000-€10000 over 18 month with 24percent interest.
    Please, can anyone give advice before getting into it!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hecfran

I invested in WFS in 2008,
    All legal details of the company seem to be in order, however after meeting the people working there I could feel that something is wrong, I ask to reduce the investment, they told met that in a week it will be done, after many phonecalls and emails, nothing, two years late (according to my understanding of the contract is the first time when the company has the obligation to buy back the investment upon request) again I was told on the phone that I should not worry and and after spending a lot of time nothing happen.
    Anyone else had problems with this company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Ruthkrean wrote: »
    spam

Apologies if wrong but you sound like a plant from this company (No pun intended)

Do you have any affiliation to them?

The previous message had a typo the date of the investment was February 2018,
    and I'm still trying to reach unsuccessfully an agreement with the director of the company of mutual benefit to exit the investment, but nothing, no other investors wants to take over, not even with a discount.

Once again, in any other investor read this post, please let me know.
    hecfran wrote: »
    I invested in WFS in 2008,
    All legal details of the company seem to be in order, however after meeting the people working there I could feel that something is wrong, I ask to reduce the investment, they told met that in a week it will be done, after many phonecalls and emails, nothing, two years late (according to my understanding of the contract is the first time when the company has the obligation to buy back the investment upon request) again I was told on the phone that I should not worry and and after spending a lot of time nothing happen.
    Anyone else had problems with this company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Maurice J Ryan

I've seen the IM's and all the info and it all sounds great. However, I have not invested an do not intend to. I work in forestry and understand a lot of the metrics they refer to and see flaws all over it. I downloaded their info to see how it was phrased and set up as they seem to be getting funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danger mouse 1

I invested with wfs Ireland a 3 times. I invested twice in a quarter of an acre of Christmas trees investment payback after 5 years.
    The other investment which I just did this year was in form of a loan being repaid at 9 % interest rate per year over 7 years.

I have visited one of there christmas tree farms in wales last october and met with one of investment managers and I also met the owner of the company on one occasion and everything is above board from what I can see.

Before I invested I had there bank account checked out and everything is legit.

I have spoken with other investors who are also very happy with there returns from company.
    There starting the myjingl tree here in Ireland in 2021 where you can purchase a Christmas tree online and have it collected after christmas.

just from my own experience I have had no issues with them and they are in regular contact

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I invested with wfs Ireland a 3 times. I invested twice in a quarter of an acre of Christmas trees investment payback after 5 years.
    The other investment which I just did this year was in form of a loan being repaid at 9 % interest rate per year over 7 years.

I have visited one of there christmas tree farms in wales last october and met with one of investment managers and I also met the owner of the company on one occasion and everything is above board from what I can see.

I have spoken with other investors who are also very happy with there returns from company.
    There starting the myjingl tree here in Ireland in 2021 where you can purchase a Christmas tree online and have it collected after christmas.

just from my own experience I have had no issues with them and they are in regular contact

So danger mouse 1 you joined boards 4 years ago, you have made 6 posts in 4 years on this subject. If anyone reading this is thinking of investing, do your own research. Mouse you have 24 hours to convince me before I delete your post as spam.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Hello ya of course anyone thinking of investing should do there homework and background checks on company. I was just saying from my experience I have had no issues and am in regular contact with other investors who have invested way more than I have.
    Best of luck if u decide to invest

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

How did you have their bank account checked out and how did you determine that everything is "legit"?

• Advertisement

How did you have their bank account checked out and how did you determine that everything is "legit"?

I spoke with few other investors who had invested before me with much larger amounts. I also did company check and met with director of company and visited there Xmas tree farm in Wales so that’s how I did my research but of course do all your own research before considering investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

I spoke with few other investors who had invested before me with much larger amounts. I also did company check and met with director of company and visited there Xmas tree farm in Wales so that’s how I did my research but of course do all your own research before considering investing.

So in fact you did not check out this company's "bank account" and know nothing concrete about their current financials.

So in fact you did not check out this company's "bank account" and know nothing concrete about their current financials.

I can’t go into detail of checks I did on this company. As I said previously if ur going to invest I advise u to do ur own checks.
    If ur not sure of whether to invest or not there is no one forcing u to invest.
    One thing I have found with dealing with this company last few years there not constantly ringing u pressurising u to invest.
    Best of luck

I had a phone call from the director last year, asking me to remove this post, I thought we will be able to negotiate an exit strategy even if that means that I will end having losses on the investment, and then nothing.

The company shares pictures and videos of their plantation, but it did not make me regain confidence or hope. Once again, I'm inviting any displeased investors to contact me directly, and I hope to be wrong about what I think about the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 damo92

I had a phone call from the director last year, asking me to remove this post, I thought we will be able to negotiate an exit strategy even if that means that I will end having losses on the investment, and then nothing.

The company shares pictures and videos of their plantation, but it did not make me regain confidence or hope. Once again, I'm inviting any displeased investors to contact me directly, and I hope to be wrong about what I think about the company.

I invested with these guys a couple of years back. Now finding myself in an uncomfortable situation with every time I call them they avoid me. The money I loaned to them that should be paid back with interest I can't say I'm exactly hopeful of seeing again! If I don't get a response from them I'll be lodging a complaint with the Garda!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note I'm going to allow it, but please read the F&F charter before posting. I suggest to use private messages as much as possible, Boards don't like breaking the libel laws.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: Attempts are being made to post in this thread by an individual claiming to represent WFS. It has been explained to them why we need to verify who they are before we let them post. We can not allow anybody or everybody to make posts in the name of a company. That could cause the company tremendous problems if false or misleading information was posted.
    Until someone posts with the words "Verified Rep" under their username, do NOT assume they are who they say they are!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PCR123

damo92 wrote: »
    I invested with these guys a couple of years back. Now finding myself in an uncomfortable situation with every time I call them they avoid me. The money I loaned to them that should be paid back with interest I can't say I'm exactly hopeful of seeing again! If I don't get a response from them I'll be lodging a complaint with the Garda!

Did you get paid in the end? I am in the same position......chasing for last number of months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

website here.

Christmas tree Investment company.

Money for old rope to be frank-you could do the job yourself.https://www.wfs-forestry.com/news/wfs-welcome-our-corporate-partners-to-a-site-visit

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johndinvest

I am workin with 2 disgruntled people who have given money to WFS Forestry who have no understanding of when they will see any money back from this company.

We had been told the company was to plant trees in Ireland at various sites and bought into this with the understanding returns would not be taxed but they never planted the trees and to my knowledge, they own none in Ireland!

From my research, another company has been set up called Walker Property Services, wpspropertyservices, their information states they are in Malta and are growing hemp for 20,000 different uses whilst offering the same return as in their Christmas tree production, 8% to 10% every year. From my understanding, it is extremely rare to see two products with different maturity times and end markets sharing the same return? The setup of an alternative company with similar offerings indicates to me that WFS is going to go into liquidation, what are your thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Murray D

I too invested with them. They have given me nothing but excuses with regard to the return of my investment.I invested in their Jingle tree retail project. I have contacted the gardai regarding this company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Perhaps the Business Post would be interested in running a piece.

editor@businesspost.ie

PCR123 wrote: »
    Did you get paid in the end? I am in the same position......chasing for last number of months

No nothing back from them, but they are obliged under the agreement I signed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 james0987

damo92 wrote: »

Hi Damo92, you got any success? What Garda said? It looks like I am in same situation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 james0987

Murray D wrote: »
    I too invested with them. They have given me nothing but excuses with regard to the return of my investment.I invested in their Jingle tree retail project. I have contacted the gardai regarding this company.

hi Murray, anything you heard from Garda? I am in same situation. I do not think so garda would do anything, what are our options here...

Hi James0987 it appears that companies operating in a similar way have had action taken against them in the past. A friend forwarded me an interesting article about a company called Arden Forestry in the Irish Times. Apparently, the directors claimed to have forests but didn't and the directors ended up being jailed.

Now I'm not saying WFS is the same, it could be an honest business that is experiencing issues outside of its control, but WFS has a few fleeting similarities with Arden Forestry in the way it appears to have operated, to say the least.

What is for certain, if anything is to hide and enough of us decided to raise our voices the company would be investigated and we should at least get some clarity as to what's going on. It's a shame we don't have a private Facebook group so we can share our experiences with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Murray D

It appears that Wfs have not filed tax returns last year. This could possibly mean that the will be disqualified from trading later this year. What will happen to our investments? Looks like they are planning their getaway with Investors Funds. Large sums of money that they never had any intention of paying back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alfred stana

I was going to invest 45K with Wfs forestry. Reading all the comments, decided not to invest. Thank you all😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johndinvest

A very wise decision.

I have found similarities and correlations to other fly-by-night outfits that confirm this company has no intention of reimbursing its clients. WFS Forestry boasts that they are working from offices in Dublin & the UK when they are actually working from Mallorca, Spain, similar to the company Greenwood Management (GWD) who pilfered money by influencing its investors into purchasing rights to forestry plantations.

Many employees migrated from the GWD boiler room to WFS Forestry with GWD´s current director acting as one of WFS´advisors!

By the looks of things, WPS Property Services is a new company set up by the outfit to continue trading new interest without the negativity online dampening their sales. Be vary weary of all, there are many unhappy customers.

• Advertisement

Today I got a phone call from the company proposing to buy back my investment slowly in 17 monthly payments, an agreement to be formalized Friday this week in written form.

I will make a new post Friday night to keep you updated with the developments

Advertisement