Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay couple humiliated after being asked to leave Dublin restaurant

Options
  • 29-10-2015 5:24pm

A gay couple celebrating their anniversary in a Dublin restaurant were asked to leave by a waiter after complaints were issued by diners at another table.

According to a letter published in November’s Issue of Irish magazine GCN, the writer claims he was asked to leave the restaurant because other customers became “uncomfortable” as he held his partner’s hand.

“My partner and I were in a Dublin city centre restaurant celebrating our second anniversary and we were being physically tactile with each other. Not kissing the faces of each other or anything, but holding hands and looking into each other’s eyes,” the letter read.

“A waiter came to out table and told us that customers at another table were complaining about us. He suggested that we stop showing each other physical affection.”

Source: Independent.ie

In all honesty, this would piss me off too; if people feel uncomfortable with PDA and homosexuality, then that is their own issue and shouldn't inflict their own misgivings on others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

It's a pity it doesn't say what restaurant it is. I would be interested to hear their side of things. And if the couple's version of events is true, I'd like to know where it is to avoid it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

that's disgraceful, it's not like they were breastfeeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The ones that complained are bad enough, but if somebody working for me pulled a trick like that they'd be sacked on the spot. With a boot up the hole on their way out the door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

Last time I checked it was 2015. And we live in "post marriage-referendum" Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Independent shouldn't be putting this out if they can't verify that it actually happened. They could destroy somebodies business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can't wait for the inevitable "We have nothing against gay people. Honestly, I have gay friends who use my restaurant all the time! We just ask that homosexuals don't try to act like normal people in our restaurant."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Independent shouldn't be putting this out if they can't verify that it actually happened. They could destroy somebodies business.

They didn't name the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

DP

The ones that complained are bad enough, but if somebody working for me pulled a trick like that they'd be sacked on the spot. With a boot up the hole on their way out the door.

This is the biggest issue with this whole "customer is king" mentality that a lot of service industries have. Someone complains and management are almost compelled to do something about it, even if they don't agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Disgraceful if true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Shocking, Maybe we should edit that film about the referendum and show what still goes on after it was passed... You know the one promoting how tolerant Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I hope the restaurant is named eventually.
    It's ridiculous to give in to stupid complaints like that, and makes me think maybe someone involved with the restaurant were also not too happy with the couple holding hands.

Otherwise, the appropriate response to the people complaining would be:
    "I'm sorry, but people hold hands in public all the time and the vast majority of people don't find it offensive. No-one here at this restaurant considers there to be anything wrong with people holding hands. We're sorry that this has upset you, but we won't ask the couple to change their behaviour or leave."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,040 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Source: Independent.ie

In all honesty, this would piss me off too; if people feel uncomfortable with PDA and homosexuality, then that is their own issue and shouldn't inflict their own misgivings on others.

If it makes you uncomfortable, then that is an issue you need to address, not the people involved.

I'm also curious to know if you'd be comfortable with a heterosexual couple holding hands. If not, why not, and if so why?

(Just regarding the specific article: I'm very suspicious of articlaes like this where there's no specific names, locations or definite infortmation: are we talking factual event here or urban myth?)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

MJI wrote: »
    Last time I checked it was 2015. And we live in "post marriage-referendum" Ireland.
    Yea, I can't wait until "post abortion-referendum" Ireland so we can have abortions in restaurants....

Honestly, the referendum makes no difference in this argument. It's a couple who were holding hands. It doesn't matter if they're legally allowed get married now that it's 2015. Even if the referendum hadn't passed they should have been allowed hold hands for christ sake.

If it makes you uncomfortable, then that is an issue you need to address, not the people involved.

I'm also curious to know if you'd be comfortable with a heterosexual couple holding hands. If not, why not, and if so why?

Are you asking me if I have an issue with it? Holding hands? Hell no. Making out? Probably. But I'd feel the same about heterosexual couples too, because I'm single and bitter right now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Somehow I feel there's something more to it. Asked to leave because they were just holding hands? In a city center restaurant? And customers called them 'disgusting' as they walked out in shame? It seems highly dramatic. Homer Simpson and the Babysitter springs to mind.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

On paper it looks pretty bad alright, important to remember we are only getting one side of the story though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I wish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Well its not really nice to see any couple do this be they male or female or fluid or sub terrain or Bosnian or even African Elephant. Do they not know the rule no public displays of affection ! this thread will end well....

• Advertisement

Ummm :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Somehow I feel there's something more to it. Asked to leave because they were just holding hands? In a city center restaurant? And customers called them 'disgusting' as they walked out in shame? It seems highly dramatic. Homer Simpson and the Babysitter springs to mind.

I get the feeling there's more to it too. Otherwise the restaurant would have been named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

6541 wrote: »
    Well its not really nice to see any couple do this be they male or female or fluid or sub terrain or Bosnian or even African Elephant. Do they not know the rule no public displays of affection ! this thread will end well....

Not nice to hold hands in a restaurant and look at each-other? Imagine if your mind can stretch to it the horror of someone proposing in a restaurant, they'd be strung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im gay and I really find it hard to believe this happened..What restaurant would be stupid enough to pull a stunt like this after the controversy with the cake shop stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

So what if they were a bit ott and steamy is it wrong for people to complain that are enjoyibg there dinner?

On paper it looks pretty bad alright, important to remember we are only getting one side of the story though.
    Anyone that has ever had to eject a gay black midget from a premises for taking a crap in the urinal agrees with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭brevity

Disappointing really. The couple aren't the ones that should have been asked to leave, the people complaining should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I've a feeling there's something more to this. Would be nice to hear the restaurants side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

A sh1t paper at that...

I'd hold back passing judgement on this until verified and the restaurant in question have right to reply. Articles in the Indo these days are written by chimps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I hear the guy complaining sleeps nude in an oxygen tent which he believes gives him sexual powers!

Advertisement