Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle Lanes in Phoenix Park

• 29-05-2016 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Bought a new bike, went for a spin up and down chesterfield avenue today on the "Bike Lane". Pedestrians every 100m, whole families, buggies, kids. Asking them to move to the pedestrian lane I was told to "Get over myself" "f** off" etc. etc. one lady even told me to use the "bike lane!:rolleyes:".

I would have thought the signs on the bike path are fairly self explanatory, do they need to put up more explicit signage? How do other people get on? Is this what it's like every weekend??:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes, so just saunter around them or use the road. With the warm weather the place is crowded so easier to just expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a bit like driving in Dublin city centre on a summers Saturday evening, pedestrians all over the road. Just take it handy, no point in saying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yes, so just saunter around them or use the road. With the warm weather the place is crowded so easier to just expect it.

Damn.... the road was bumper to bumper, its frustrating to slow down or go on the grass, can't be safe/ good for the slick tyres either...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's a bit like driving in Dublin city centre on a summers Saturday evening, pedestrians all over the road. Just take it handy, no point in saying anything.

Any suggestions for a decent stretch of cycle lane around / out of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

papu wrote: »

In particularly good weather they tend to be mobbed. But... there's much more knowledgeable cyclists on here, they know more than me. I'm just a commuter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Today was made worse by Africa Day in Farmleigh House.

Lots of roads were closed along with parking restrictions on those that were open. This added to the number of pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Id personally say the park wasn't even that jammed today. Got a parking spot handy enough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Id personally say the park wasn't even that jammed today. Got a parking spot handy enough. :)

Depends on the time. At 11, I got a spot in Farmleigh.:D
    Leaving at 2, I couldn't see a spot anywhere on the way back to the NCR gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

It's fair weather weekend. Just like you, everybody wants to go out to those comfy parks and beaches. You might want to try to cycle along royal canal, it doesn't tend to attract too much people. The bit from Ashtown to Blanchardstown is pretty "user freindly". Also Tolka Valley Park might be good try. If I were you, I'd just wake up earlier and try exploring a bit. Nothing beats that magical light quality of rising sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

just cycle on the road....i never use the lanes on chesterfield ave anymore purely for that reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

papu wrote: »

Clontarf to Sutton with a gap in the middle
    Grand canal with narrow gates at the road crossings
    The cycle lanes in the PP south of Chesterfield avenue
    From Cornellscourt out the n11 to the M11

Are the better ones I can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Use your bell, the grass or the road. The grass is fine on slicks, particularly when it's dry.

The signs are self explanatory but not obvious or frequent enough. People aren't looking out for them on what looks like a footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

On a sunny day or when there's an event on forget the cycle path in the park its impassable due to all the pedestrians on it.

Use the road. Ironically the walking path is usually a lot quieter. When the cycle path is unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Do we need a Park cycle lanes megathread?

The thread is really about asking where else to cycle on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I was in the park as a pedestrian yesterday, I am a fair weather road cyclist (Use it for fitness in off season).
    Pedestrians everywhere in the cycle lanes yep, also made worse by people parking beside them and walking on them to get to their cars,
    HOWEVER
    The attitude of some cyclist using them is horrendous, yesterdays was one of those days in the park, road closures, a big event, lots of work setting up bloom, massive q for the zoo. While walking in the grass along side the cycle path, on the fence side I had a cyclist screaming at me to get out of the way. She then stopped to inform me it was a cycle path, I asked her did the cycle path extend to the grass and her answer was Yes, this is our part of the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I've probably done about 8000/9000 km around the park on my bike and always use the road unless i'm on a easy spin and then use the lanes with caution. I was in the park yesterday in the car with the kids and it was rammed. I got in just before it got busy but it took me a while to get out due to traffic.

Ill have to agree with anyone saying yesterday was not the day to be having a go at pedestrians. There is not much they could have done. The police only closed roads and done no other traffic management and the place was a mess. Anyone cycling should have seen this and just went somewhere else. At least that's what i would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fattes wrote: »
    I was in the park as a pedestrian yesterday, I am a fair weather road cyclist (Use it for fitness in off season).
    Pedestrians everywhere in the cycle lanes yep, also made worse by people parking beside them and walking on them to get to their cars,
    HOWEVER
    The attitude of some cyclist using them is horrendous, yesterdays was one of those days in the park, road closures, a big event, lots of work setting up bloom, massive q for the zoo. While walking in the grass along side the cycle path, on the fence side I had a cyclist screaming at me to get out of the way. She then stopped to inform me it was a cycle path, I asked her did the cycle path extend to the grass and her answer was Yes, this is our part of the park!

If she was in a car she'd be beeping her horn. Would she have an equally bad attitude, beat in mind a cyclist was killed recently in the park CBeebies side of a collision with a pedestrian in a cycle lane

That's why you should avoid the paths.

Not have arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

ted1 wrote: »
    If she was in a car she'd be beeping her horn. Would she have an equally bad attitude, beat in mind a cyclist was killed recently in the park CBeebies side of a collision with a pedestrian in a cycle lane

Doubt she'd have been on the grass in her car...

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

Well aware of the recent tragedy in the park, she was cycling quickly and aggressively on a very busy park, and had an attitude about it and was not the only one yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

HOWEVER

Its pretty impossible not to walk on the cycle lanes in the Phoenix park to get to your car, because some idiot put the cycle lanes in the wrong place. Its a nightmare park when trying to get kids out of the car and onto the correct walkway with people going way to fast on the cycle lanes in that environment.

People shouldn't be walking up and down the lanes but the cyclist need to slow down there also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭TheExile1878

People shouldn't be walking up and down the lanes but the cyclist need to slow down there also

Never going to happen, not when they routinely ride on pavements and pedestrianised areas. Knocked into again this morning off Dame Street.

Its pretty impossible not to walk on the cycle lanes in the Phoenix park to get to your car, because some idiot put the cycle lanes in the wrong place. Its a nightmare park when trying to get kids out of the car and onto the correct walkway with people going way to fast on the cycle lanes in that environment.

Could never figure out why they are not inside the fence like the footpath, only reason was not to alter the original fence.

Could never figure out why they are not inside the fence like the footpath, only reason was not to alter the original fence.

It floods alot in there and if the cycle lane was in there if would be quiet slippy at times, so not safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

retalivity wrote: »
    just cycle on the road....i never use the lanes on chesterfield ave anymore purely for that reason
    +1 for that, too many bodies on it & some that cross over it dont even look before hand.

Its ok in the morning, if you are commuting. Less so in the evening now the weather is a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yip, this always come up when on this topic, and there's always people who still have issue with you when you raise it, telling you you shouldn't be there anyway, we don't care if you have kids. It was suggested recently that a woman with a young baby should have no problems lifting the buggy, with a kid and all the paraphernalia, over the fence, to get to the footpath quicker.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yip, this always come up when on this topic, and there's always people who still have issue with you when you raise it, telling you you shouldn't be there anyway, we don't care if you have kids. It was suggested recently that a woman with a young baby should have no problems lifting the buggy, with a kid and all the paraphernalia, over the fence, to get to the footpath quicker.

It was more than likely said by someone that's not a parent or had a little kid over 10 years ago!

• Advertisement

Doesn't really matter the reasons. Its is how it is.

On a busy day I often go around by the zoo or the magazine in order to have a nice cycle and avoid the walkers.

Advertisement