Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists should be "taken out and shot"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

cdebru wrote: »
    It is a completely backward step to think everyone can drive their own private car and be able to conveniently park it close to their destination, the city centre simply does not have the space to accommodate everyone who needs to go there in a private car. Only about 20% of the daily commute across the canals are by private car, it makes zero sense to allow them to take up so much space and delay and discommode the vast majority who use public transport, cycle or walk.

Well is works for other cities like Kansas and Hong Kong. Mainly one way streets with 2-3 lanes wide and hardly ever any traffic. Great cities.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Nah, there's nothing in Ireland that measures up the right-wingedness I'm referring to.

Well i have a fair amount of right winged tendencies im my blood but i will leave that for the politics forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Well i have a fair amount of right winged tendencies im my blood but i will leave that for the politics forum ;)

Ah, that might explain why you only reply to selective posts then ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Well is works for other cities like Kansas and Hong Kong. Mainly one way streets with 2-3 lanes wide and hardly ever any traffic. Great cities.

Interesting choice of exemplar.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=hong+kong+traffic+jam&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Comparing a city like Kansas City - barely 150 years old, built nearly entirely in a grid system, in a country that loves through-city freeways, in a country that is one of the most car-reliant in the world - comparing that to Dublin? So pointless.

• Advertisement

Thats the beauty of google. It shows you what you search for.

Comparing a city like Kansas City - barely 150 years old, built nearly entirely in a grid system, in a country that loves through-city freeways, in a country that is one of the most car-reliant in the world - comparing that to Dublin? So pointless.

Well i just dont see the value of comparing with a city (London) that is a few years ahead of us but still messed up. Why not aspire to achieve perfection...Even if we have to knock a few buildings to make a better road i think its worth it. I had an idea for a cycle network in Dublin city that would act as a track for cyclists(only) and shelter pedestrians. It is pretty extreme (futuristic) but i think it could work... ill post a bit about it shortly.

Well i just dont see the value of comparing with a city (London) that is a few years ahead of us but still messed up. Why not aspire to achieve perfection...Even if we have to knock a few buildings to make a better road i think its worth it. I had an idea for a cycle network in Dublin city that would act as a track for cyclists(only) and shelter pedestrians. It is pretty extreme (futuristic) but i think it could work... ill post a bit about it shortly.

Yeah right, Josiah Bartlet. Meanwhile in the real world, barely anyone wants to 'knock a few buildings to make a better road'. The only better road is the one filled with public transport, no private cars, and happy, healthy pedestrians.

Yeah right, Josiah Bartlet. Meanwhile in the real world, barely anyone wants to 'knock a few buildings to make a better road'. The only better road is the one filled with public transport, no private cars, and happy, healthy pedestrians.

Im not too sure who Josiah Bartlet is but yes not many people want to knock buildings for better infrastructure but ist that exactly what cities are for? scrape out the crap and pave way for better and bigger plans that will assist the economy to thrive?

The road filled with public transport is only benefiting the government unless they reduce fare prices. You dont happen to work for public transport do you? :D

Turn Dublin into a free flowing city by removing as many pedestrian crossings as possible. Build tunnels or bridges to reduce stoppage time for motorists. There are many roads that could be changed to one-way systems that would take a higher capacity of cars. Then build a segregated cycle track above pathways (1 story/ 1st floor) that is only for cyclists but would serve as a rain shelter for pedestrians.

PS. i dont do drugs :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Thats the beauty of google. It shows you what you search for.

It shows you that your claim of "hardly ever any traffic" for Hong Kong was nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

The road filled with public transport is only benefiting the government unless they reduce fare prices. You dont happen to work for public transport do you? :D

The government are delighted that people drive cars too. What's the percentage tax applied to fuel again? Also to pay for parking etc. You are only kidding yourself....Public transport benefits everyone. You might get that from the user of the word 'public'.

Turn Dublin into a free flowing city by removing as many pedestrian crossings as possible. Build tunnels or bridges to reduce stoppage time for motorists. There are many roads that could be changed to one-way systems that would take a higher capacity of cars. Then build a segregated cycle track above pathways (1 story/ 1st floor) that is only for cyclists but would serve as a rain shelter for pedestrians.

PS. i dont do drugs :D

Or alternatively than accommodating 5% of the population we could remove all private transport from the city centres and improve life for the remaining 95%.

Im not too sure who Josiah Bartlet is but yes not many people want to knock buildings for better infrastructure but ist that exactly what cities are for? scrape out the crap and pave way for better and bigger plans that will assist the economy to thrive?

Not many people want to knock buildings for better ROADS. Most people very much want better infrastructure for Public Transport, desperately so. And thankfully you can actually build better PT infra without knocking down buildings. You can't realistically make things better for private vehicles in a city like Dublin without doing so.
    The road filled with public transport is only benefiting the government unless they reduce fare prices. You dont happen to work for public transport do you? biggrin.png

This bit is particularly mad - good Public transport benefits everyone greatly, I'm not really sure in what world you think it'd only benefit the government. The reality is that public transport is a massive net loss for the Irish government.

Removing pedestrian priority? Never going to happen. Private vehicle tunnels or bridges for car commuters? Nope, the closest Fantasy Island project that'd come close would be the Eastern Bypass.
    PS. i dont do drugs biggrin.png

You might want to consider it, you might not have such hatred for anyone who isn't a car driver then :rolleyes:

It shows you that your claim of "hardly ever any traffic" for Hong Kong was nonsense.

I lived in HK for 4 years. Trust me there is hardly any traffic. 10-15 mins would get you across the city.

traprunner wrote: »
    The government are delighted that people drive cars too. What's the percentage tax applied to fuel again? Also to pay for parking etc. You are only kidding yourself....Public transport benefits everyone. You might get that from the user of the word 'public'.

I suppose your right but i couldn't be arsed waiting in the cold or rain to get a bus or train in and out of town. Id rather pay double as a motorist to keep the luxury.

I suppose your right but i couldn't be arsed waiting in the cold or rain to get a bus or train in and out of town. Id rather pay double as a motorist to keep the luxury.

You should try cycling then. I'm sure you'd enjoy it regardless of the weather. Depending on how far you commute it would possibly be quicker.

You should try cycling then. I'm sure you'd enjoy it regardless of the weather. Depending on how far you commute it would possibly be quicker.

I have already explained that i had previously been a commuting cyclist in Dublin City for 2 years. The weather is never really that annoying. a bit of rain only cools you down. it would be the wind i would find more annoying. Nothing worse than cycling a slight incline with a head wind. I would rather drive for so many reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Uh-oh!
    kenny-with-cabinetPNG.png

Jaysus, I never thought of Inda in the same vein as Trump or Boris. Perspective?

• Advertisement

Well Kansas City is ranked as one of the least congested cities in the world.
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/trafficindex/list

Unfortunately HK doesnt seem to be in it.

"The Kansas City metropolitan area has more freeway lane miles per capita than any other large metropolitan area in the United States"

You can't build freeways through Dublin.

And it's interesting that you want to use Hong Kong to compare - a city with a superb public transport network.

"The Kansas City metropolitan area has more freeway lane miles per capita than any other large metropolitan area in the United States"

And it's interesting that you want to use Hong Kong to compare - a city with a superb public transport network.

Then we should build freeways.

I suppose your right-HK public transport is pretty good but i still drove when i was there :D

We cannot build freeways through Dublin City Centre. Move on.

We cannot build freeways through Dublin City Centre. Move on.

Food for thought?

From where to where? Concrete the Liffey and have one from the M50 along the R178 right into the bay? Sounds perfect.

So take Kansas City....it has over 7 times the land that Dublin City has and 80,000 less people than Dublin City. Where are the freeways to go?

From where to where? Concrete the Liffey and have one from the M50 along the R178 right into the bay? Sounds perfect.

well the quays is a main artery for transport and is capable of lanes 3-4 lanes wide if you remove bus lanes and on-street parking. I know there has been plenty of plans for the quays to have them bi-directional with segregated cycle tracks on both sides of the liffey. Would it not be better to have 3-4 lanes going in and the same coming out? Prioritize the traffic light sequence and we have a gem ;)

well the quays...is capable of lanes 3-4 lanes wide if you remove bus lanes and on-street parking.

Wow. I presume you propose to remove the pedestrian paths to obtain these 4 lanes for private cars only? There's barely room for 2 lanes most of the north quays. And if you remove on-street parking you'd just have more car drivers complaining that they couldn't park within 15 feet of their destination.

• Advertisement

Wow. I presume you propose to remove the pedestrian paths to obtain these 4 lanes for private cars only? There's barely room for 2 lanes most of the north quays. And if you remove on-street parking you'd just have more car drivers complaining that they couldn't park within 15 feet of their destination.

No it would be for all vehicles bar HGVs, no specific lanes. Do we really need paths on the river side of the road along the quays? could we not just extend the promenade for those who want to see the water and remove the path? more space?

I actually disagree with onsite parking everywhere in Dublin City. I think it should be removed and there should be more multistory car-parks. Do people give out about being too far from their destination after parking?

Advertisement