Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BattleBots! (US Robot Wars)

Options
  • 22-06-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭

Battle bots is back on ABC

lots of talking, a little bit of back story, too much slow motion shots of people and the stage, decent amount of fighting and destruction

they barely show one of each of the opponents before they fight :/

re: first ep fights

that walker bot, did it fight anybody at all before the TV show?

the last one really needs to get a self righting ability

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone watching this? Disney/ABC have brought it back, search for Battlebots 2015 in the usual places and you'll find the first 3 episodes. Absolutely brilliant, nearly as good as the old Robot Wars.

I was expecting it to be ruined by the usual sh1te American tv does with these programmes, endless previews so you've seen the whole thing, fake drama, endless build up and "smack talk" wasting time etc but there isn't any of that really, quick team interview and straight into the fight, 4-5 fights per ep, really well presented tbh and turning into my favourite show in the current Summer drought.

battle-bots.jpg?w=604&h=340&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Surprisingly great.

Compared to the tinfoil-covered badly painted robots from the UK Robot Wars, this is light years ahead. Some serious engineering has gone into these bots and the battles are excellent.

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

way too much time of the announcers talking, theres an active subreddit with some contestants chatting https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just caught up with it - much better than I thought it would be.

And that Molly McGrath... hot damn!

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can just watch the fights without the boring bits

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=battlebots+just+the+fights

i don't know why the witchdoctor and plan 9 were included just because they are women involved

Yeah even given wildcards to get them back in after they lost, a bit pathetic alright.

If you're building a robot for this its clear you need some kind of heavy spinner weapon if you want to go far, its the only way to get enough kinetic energy on a little robot to actually fcuk an opponent up not just butt them around, Tombstone is probably going to win it if I had to put money down for this reason. Hypnodisk on the old Robot Wars used to destroy everything he went up against aswell. There used to be a Robot Wars champion called Chaos II aswell with a vicious flipper weapon that used to send opponents into the air but I haven't seen anything like that on Battle Bots, all these flipper builds are more like toy forklifts from Smyths...

Im confused about the people building crappy little wedge bots and also multibot builds with weak little flamethrowers, do they actually think they're going to win anything with these? Has a flame weapon ever done any damage ever? The arena needs a bit of a redesign aswell, the screws and the tinfoil hammers around the edges are all a bit lame, remember the House Robots on Robot Wars, you used to have to stay out of the corners or they would actually damage you.

Hopefully now a lot of the dross is gone and it will be all proper fights, been a few too many boring little wedge bots pushin each other around until one stalls or the timer ends in the last couple of eps...

why ever get in the arena without a self righting mechanism?

Thargor wrote: »

Im confused about the people building crappy little wedge bots and also multibot builds with weak little flamethrowers, do they actually think they're going to win anything with these?

the weight restriction was upped at some point so people just found a way to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Im confused about the people building crappy little wedge bots and also multibot builds with weak little flamethrowers, do they actually think they're going to win anything with these? Has a flame weapon ever done any damage ever?
    Overheating seems to be on ongoing problem with bots. The wiring is also susceptible to melting and shorting. I wouldn't say they're completely useless.

Tombstone showed a weakness in the last round against witchdoctor, it was some battle watching them go spinner to spinner. The spinner bots are showing some weaknesses now as well. They don't like getting flipped and are totally dependant on the quality of the build. Spinner bots tend to take themselves out more often that not.

The fight with icestorm?? Showed that they can be circumvented.

Pretty surprised by the quality of robots, it's been really good so far.

they got 8k to build or rebuild their robots

Good quarter finals, finale tomorrow night, Id say Tombstone will take it...

BattleBotsVerified account
    @BattleBots

Guess who's batteries these are?
    CK8CPI-UEAEYXkM.jpg
    https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/625721333184229376

spoilers in link/replies

bit a of Formula1 ending

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

very
    disappointed with final
    It was definately the worst fight of the 6 episodes

geecee wrote: »
    very
    disappointed with final
    It was definately the worst fight of the 6 episodes

yeah, i wonder if those magnets actual work and if
    Bite Force
    is just the best pusher, it removed on if its jaws from the or the last fight

The Tombstone semi was brilliant though...

Great series, hope it gets renewed, ratings were okay-good apparently but not spectacular.

There was a Season 2 special last night, in which the last few spots were filled for this year's tournament, and those spots were decided on the battlefield.

Season 2 doesn't officially start until June 23, so this special may have flown past people's radars, but check it out for some robot fighting... Oh and Clark Gregg was one of the judges last night, so even more of a reason worth catching up on it.

Brilliant thanks for that...

any battlebots is good battlebots although it was pity some robots stalled, and the ref should be telling people to attack, that blue robot didnt' attack for ages

the guy with the robot where he was winning and then drove his wheels on to the stationary spinner bot and lost, idiot

don't think those drones will do much

• Advertisement

don't think those drones will do much
    Can't see how drones are going to be effective. I assume robots can't shock each other? Being able to send an electric bolt through an opponent is about the only way I could think of them doing anything.

Jesus there were some proper stinkers of builds in that episode, basically anything that took a hard hit lost communication with the pilot, what was that drone supposed to be doing? I thought it was going to have some kind of attack but it died trying to ram another competitor, just bizarre.

Zero interesting weaponry made it through to the new series, the last winner was just a metal box on wheels, nothing else to it. That giant spinning green thing could have been interesting but the pilot had zero control over it and its gone now.

Zero interesting weaponry made it through to the new series, the last winner was just a metal box on wheels, nothing else to it. That giant spinning green thing could have been interesting but the pilot had zero control over it and its gone now.

The ones we saw the other night were only to find out who'd fill the last 4 spots for this series, so presumably they're the 4 worst robots anyway. Hopefully the other 44 contenders might manage to bring something interesting to the table.

I know that, I meant zero interesting weaponry made it through from that episode, well son of Whyachi was okay, spinners are always entertaining. The rest are just cannon fodder. Still dont get what that drone was supposed to achieve though. Also all the swarm bots were useless aswell.

what was that drone supposed to be doing?
    I think that drone had a drill on it. It needed to land on the top of the opponent and drill into it. I assume it locked on with a magnet or something.

Most the other ones seem to shot down fire. But I can see those ones taking themselves out.

Back tomorrow night, looking forward to this as much as Game of Thrones :D

Just watched the first match, great fun.

No Molly McGrath though. :(:p

I see the first show is 120 minutes, is that loads of filler?

The opposite. They have too much content and have to show short edits of some matches. They have 64 starters this year instead of 32 from last year.

• Advertisement

Good start to the competition - should be an interesting season overall.

Advertisement