Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000's of kids making their communion today

• 14-05-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Are people just not aware that the Catholic Church molested 10's of 1000's of kids around the world and covered it up, or do they just not care?

Why are people cool with kids being molested, especially being parents themselves? And I believe they must be "cool" with it, otherwise why would they voluntarily choose to associate with this very same organisation.

And not only that, a few weeks before their communion, they send their kid into a box with a dirty old man who asks them about all the naught things they've been getting up to lately!! aka 'first confession'. They're 8 - they have nothing to confess to you, ya big weirdo FFS!

Am I the one that's crazy here? Is it okay to molest thousands of kids? People seem cool with it.

Comments

Unless you can prove that every member of the Roman Catholics clergy is a child molester, then you don't really have an argument here.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

bubblypop wrote: »
    Unless you can prove that every member of the Roman Catholics clergy is a child molester, then you don't really have an argument here.

The organisation itself has a rampant proven history of it, including covering it up. That's a fact - so why are people totally okay still being associated with this organisation?

I never said the actual priest giving them communion today did anything. I'm referring to the catholic church - the organisation.

Not sure how you missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Hope, all you have to demonstrate is that the institution facilitated it. And they did.

The organisation itself has a rampant proven history of it, including covering it up. The organisation - so why are people totally okay being associated with this organisation?

I never said the actual priest giving them communion today did anything. I'm referring to the catholic church - the organisation.

Not sure how you missed that.

People believe in their religion, they want their children to grow up in that religion.
    Yep there was a huge amount of abuse & cover ups, but that doesn't stop people believing in their religion.

They do not believe in an organisation, they believe in their religion.

Fwiw, I'm not religious, have no interest whatsoever in the catholic church, but I don't expect everyone to believe the same things I do.

They do not believe in an organisation, they believe in their religion.

If they don't believe in the organisation - why are they attending that very organisation today and making their kid a full-fledged member? The same organisation that molested kids just like theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Their religion is between themselves and god, whatever happened to free will?

Their religion is between themselves and god, whatever happened to free will?

It's not between themselves and their fictional god. They're involving innocent kids - actually making them members of an organisation that molests & covers it up.
    Correct me where I'm being factually inaccurate here.

Did the catholic church molest 1000's kids? Yes.
    Did the catholic church actively cover it up? Yes.
    Did they move priests around after they were accused? Yes.
    Did they withhold information and hinder investigations. Yes.
    The priests who didn't participate - did they know what was going on? Yes.

So why are people who have kids; the same age as many of the ones who were molested, happy to send their kids in there today to become full members of this very church, and act like nothing ever happened?

That's my only question here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Are people just not aware that the Catholic Church molested 10's of 1000's of kids around the world and covered it up, or do they just not care?

Why are people cool with kids being molested, especially being parents themselves? And I believe they must be "cool" with it, otherwise why would they voluntarily choose to associate with this very same organisation.

And not only that, a few weeks before their communion, they send their kid into a box with a dirty old man who asks them about all the naught things they've been getting up to lately!! aka 'first confession'. They're 8 - they have nothing to confess to you, ya big weirdo FFS!

Am I the one that's crazy here? Is it okay to molest thousands of kids? People seem cool with it.

Wow bit of a bee in your bonnet there. Not all priests are child molesters it's like calling all Muslims terrorists.Some parents want their kids to be part of the same religion some parents are doing it for the day out. Whatever their reason to even suggest that if your child gets communion the parents are ok with people molesting children is ill informed rubbish.

Wow bit of a bee in your bonnet there. Not all priests are child molesters it's like calling all Muslims terrorists.Some parents want their kids to be part of the same religion some parents are doing it for the day out. Whatever their reason to even suggest that if your child gets communion the parents are ok with people molesting children is ill informed rubbish.

How is it ill informed? It's facts. I stated them above. Correct me where my facts are incorrect. If parents are okay with their kids being associated with an organisation that committed these crimes, then there's something wrong with their heads. The catholic church is an organisation. We're talking about the organisation here.
    Not all priests are child molesters
    Why are you arguing against something I never even said?

It's not between themselves and their fictional god. They're involving innocent kids - actually making them members of an organisation that molests & covers it up.
    Correct me where I'm being factually inaccurate here.

Did the catholic church molest 1000's kids? Yes.
    Did the catholic church actively cover it up? Yes.
    Did they move priests around after they were accused? Yes.
    Did they withhold information and hinder investigations. Yes.
    The priests who didn't participate - did they know what was going on? Yes.

So why are people who have kids; the same age as many of the ones who were molested, happy to send their kids in there today to become full members of this very church, and act like nothing ever happened?

That's my only question here.

Simply put, because they want to

They may have gained values from the church which they believe are worth instilling in their own children.

No everyone was abused, not every priest an abuser. Why blame future generations for past generations mistakes. Can we not learn from it? prevent it happening again? The church has changed a lot in the last 20 years. Blame your parents generation, not you peers.

• Advertisement

The church has changed a lot in the last 20 years.

Really?

Last time I checked they still condemn homosexuals. They still don't allow women to be priests. They deny contraceptives to HIV-ridden countries.

What's changed? The PR campaign behind a "hip" new pope?

Really?

Last time I checked they still condemn homosexuals. They still don't allow women to be priests. They deny contraceptives to HIV-ridden countries.

What's changed? The PR campaign behind a "hip" new pope?

The power by the church had within irish society
    The unquestioning reverence and devotion by the people towards the priests
    mother and baby homes
    laundries

you mustn't have been alive in ireland if you can see any changes

How is it ill informed? It's facts. I stated them above. Correct me where my facts are incorrect. If parents are okay with their kids being associated with an organisation that committed these crimes, then there's something wrong with their heads. The catholic church is an organisation. We're talking about the organisation here.

Why are you arguing against something I never even said?

You said it in your first post. If you get rid of your rage and read what your typing and what way it reads to other people it might help.
    You clearly imply that all priests are child molesters and that parents allowing children to take their first confession that the parents are ok with child molestation. That is where your facts are wrong because neither are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Of course people are aware that members of the Catholic Church abused children in the past and covered it up.

Who has ever actually said to you that they were cool with kids being molested?

Can you link to a specific case where this has actually happened?

Am I the one that's crazy here?

Possibly.

Is it okay to molest thousands of kids?

Not in my opinion, where do you stand on the issue yourself?

People seem cool with it.

Remember when you asked were you the only one that's crazy here? If you assume that people are cool with kids being molested, then that's a pretty strong indication that yes, you are the only one that's crazy here.

You said it in your first post. If you get rid of your rage and read what your typing and what way it reads to other people it might help.
    You clearly imply that all priests are child molesters and that parents allowing children to take their first confession that the parents are ok with child molestation. That is where your facts are wrong because neither are true.

By allowing their kids to participate in a catholic church ritual, they're showing allegiance to, & acceptance of, the very same church that molested kids. Not sure how much clearer that can be.

And no -I never said all priests were paedos - nowhere did I say that. Yet you keep saying I did. I used the word organisation throughout.
    Can you link to a specific case where this has actually happened?
    Eh, I described first confession. Never heard of it?

By allowing their kids to participate in a catholic church ritual, they're showing allegiance to, & acceptance of, the very same church that molested kids. Not sure how much clearer that can be.

And no -I never said all priests were paedos - nowhere did I say that. Yet you keep saying I did. I used the word organisation throughout.

It's not very clear at all though Kenny. Everyone who is a member of the RCC is the Church, so when you're saying the Church molested kids, you might as well be saying men molest kids. You're a man Kenny. Do you approve of men molesting kids then?

I wouldn't think you do, because that would be incredibly stupid on my part.

I've heard of it described in those sorts of terms of course, but nobody I've asked has ever been able to substantiate their claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

For many people it's a day out.

A reason to get dolled up and put the kids in dresses and suits.
    The religious aspect is lost on most people as its easier to go along with it that explain to the child why they're not included in the proceedings.

Same with people who don't go to mass putting RC on the census. The confirmation could be the first time since the communion that they've been in a church.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Auld Kenny must be still gargled from last night ;)

Too much sherbert on a saturday afternoon does that

so when you're saying the Church molested kids, you might as well be saying men molest kids.

Really? Is that your best argument? Best move along and leave this discussion to the adults.

Really? Is that your best argument? Best move along and leave this discussion to the adults.

Isn't that always the problem? That some adults never want to listen to what children are trying to tell them?

Clearly it's not confined to those within the Church then. Maybe you could ask the adults over in the Christianity forum?

Seems like the most obvious forum if you really wanted to know why do adult members of the Roman Catholic Church encourage their children to make their Communion. Seems more than a bit pointless in a forum where any parents or guardians, if they are parents or guardians, are likely to be atheist.

• Advertisement

Dirty old men in a confession box is what you said i.e as confessions are conducted by priests you implied all priests where peados.

You implied in your OP and the above quoted post that by allowing their kids to partake parents were ok with child molestation/abuse. Your view is clear from your rage filled posts and very misguided.

Yes I heard of confession. Maybe you should try it sounds like you have a lot to let off your chest.

So its not priests your saying and its the organisation rather than the implied priests? Ok so. The organisation is about 1 billion plus strong. Do you think they are all paedos so?

TL/DR More thinking less rage OP.

The organisation is about 1 billion plus strong. Do you think they are all paedos so?

No - the clergy & church hierarchy are all complicit. If they didn't partake, they knew about it going on at the time - and the higher-ups covered it up.

The congregation/followers of the RC church all seem to be perfectly accepting of said crimes, since they continue to be associated with the church as if nothing has happened. All totally cool with it - all out in suits/dresses with big smiles for communion day. Like it's a perfectly respectable organisation they're signing their kids up to.

No - the clergy & church hierarchy are all complicit. If they didn't partake, they knew about it going on at the time - and the higher-ups covered it up.

The congregation/followers of the RC church all seem to be perfectly accepting of said crimes, since they continue to be associated with the church as if nothing has happened. All totally cool with it - all out in suits/dresses with big smiles for communion day. Like it's a perfectly respectable organisation they're signing their kids up to.

Your concern for other people's children is touching.

Your concern for other people's children is touching.

Maybe I'm just not okay with the worlds biggest ever paedophile ring - yeah, I'm such a weirdo.

https://youtu.be/PZJ5W4X_sR4

This doesn't seem to be much about first communion more about a fairly lazy repetitive attack along the same old lines.

Which I'm all for etc but isn't very interesting reading.

Attended a first communion last year and I'd be interested in discussing that. Few things struck me as p weird at the time, the girls being set up as mini brides of christ, the heavy leaning on Jesus now being yr new special friend, it's a very bizarre ceremony and not a mention anywhere as to the implications of transubstantiation, one of the core creeds of the church and the point of the whole ceremony.

I'm gonna postulate that catholic guilt is at least part brought on by the late realisation that you have been deeply involved in a Messiah consumption conspiracy since you were six years of age.

It's no wonder we're ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Yeah you did.

There are many issues with the Catholic Church and I myself are vocal about it but you are saying stuff that isn't true. Not everyone is guilty that is just a stupid to say. As I said more thinking less rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Maybe he thought that episode of south park was a documentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The church has changed a lot in the last 20 years. Blame your parents generation, not you peers.
    Actually, the main marketing angle used by the RCC is that it doesn't change. Other religions may come and go, like fads, but RCC claims to be the guardian of some universal and unchanging truth.
    The power by the church had within irish society
    The unquestioning reverence and devotion by the people towards the priests
    mother and baby homes
    laundries

you mustn't have been alive in ireland if you can see any changes
    These are changes alright, but not changes in the church.They are changes to many people's attitude to the church.

The RCC would still run the Magdalene laundries if they could. They fought tooth and nail to stop Noel Browne from bringing in some form of free healthcare and social welfare to single mothers. They destroyed his political career, but they could not hold back the tide of secular social progress forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

only skimmed through the thread but little mention of the most important part of communions. Do the kids buy an Xbox or ps4 afterwards?

Advertisement