Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

• 10-05-2016 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭

A few people were discussing this in a Netflix thread and we've been told to stop. Perhaps this thread can be used for discussion of Prime and recommendations for shows that are available on it?

I didn't even know it was available in Ireland until today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

So far I think that it still isn't but would be happy to find that has changed! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

A few people on the other thread have said it's absolutely available in Ireland. Not only that, but you can also sign up for the American one if you wish, without having to use a VPN etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It seems that the streaming services are available in Ireland, it's the other stuff that comes with a Prime account that you encounter difficultly with.

Feck it, I'm going to try to sign up for the free month now and see what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I heard a couple weeks ago from an Amazon customer service agent that they want to do Prime for shipping in Ireland, but cannot put it together logistically so that it is reliable enough. I read that as "the delivery infrastructure in Ireland either sucks or costs too much".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Speedwell wrote: »
    I heard a couple weeks ago from an Amazon customer service agent that they want to do Prime for shipping in Ireland, but cannot put it together logistically so that it is reliable enough. I read that as "the delivery infrastructure in Ireland either sucks or costs too much".

Ireland and Amazon have history.

• Advertisement

It seems that the streaming services are available in Ireland, it's the other stuff that comes with a Prime account that you encounter difficultly with.

Feck it, I'm going to try to sign up for the free month now and see what's what.

Are you going to do the US one? I'd say they've a far better selection.

I'd do it myself but I'm off for 2 weeks holidays soon so will wait to sign up until back

Synode wrote: »
    Are you going to do the US one? I'd say they've a far better selection.

I'd do it myself but I'm off for 2 weeks holidays soon so will wait to sign up until back

I don't know. I was trying to browse through both to see what's there. Primarily I want to watch The Americans, which is on UK/Ireland, although US has the 3rd season.

I'm not seeing a whole lot in the film section of the US one that would make me think I must have it. There doesn't seem to be anything too recent on it, like straight out of the cinema. I'm going to keep looking for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

Are you sure that Amazon video is officially available in Ireland, no need for VPN or anything similar...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

You got me all excited there but I checked on Amazon and they still won't deliver fire tv to Ireland. After a few minutes of live chat I've been told that its not available in Ireland due to copyright issues

Gator88 wrote: »
    You got me all excited there but I checked on Amazon and they still won't deliver fire tv to Ireland. After a few minutes of live chat I've been told that its not available in Ireland due to copyright issues

Fire TV isn't but the Prime streaming service is... apparently.

• Advertisement

So far the only thing jumping out at me from the US one is MacBeth....

I will continue to have this conversation with myself for the rest of the evening.... carry on about your business....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

How does the student version of prime work, it's half the price and it's a 6 month trial.

What do they look for.

Varik wrote: »
    How does the student version of prime work, it's half the price and it's a 6 month trial.

What do they look for.

I had a quick look earlier and it was an email address that was .ac.uk I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've got the uk primecand need to use a VPN to get movies. I use smart DNS on the router to get it on the TV and a VPN on my laptop to get it there.
    Nice thing is that you can download the movies and watch them on the move.

I had a quick look earlier and it was an email address that was .ac.uk I think

Yep, the ask for a UK academic email and then you have to verify it before they'll let you sign up for the student one.

So, I opted for the UK one and it turns out it is Geo Blocked but that can be worked around in the usual way. It plays the Amazon original content without a VPN but everything else won't.

I'm going to get as much out of the free 30 days and then see what's what.

It does give you an option when you're signing up to go for the full Prime service or just the streaming. It works out at £5.99 a month for just the streaming.

It was Darko on the other thread that said it was available without a VPN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Get the pitchforks out lads and over to the other thread - we've found the false prophet

Maybe if you enter a UK postal address? It did warn me that continuing with the address I have stored with my account would mean streaming wasn't available.

I'm sure they have better technology for tracking such things than just taking your word for it that that is where you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

I signed up for the free month and forgot to cancel ( yep, idiot) so I have it about 5 months now. Can only watch a handful of shows via the app on my tv. Using a certain chrome addon I get the full range. Compared to Netflix it's Poor imo

For people looking to use it for a month. Man in the high castle is very good.

• Advertisement

I have had both Primes in recent times and never needed to use my VPN to access the catalogue. It may help that I have UK and US addresses on my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

syklops wrote: »
    Ireland and Amazon have history.

Go on... :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Is this definitely available in Ireland? In their t&cs I see this.

"LIMITED TO UNITED KINGDOM AND NORTHERN IRELAND"

Who knew Amazon were Irish nationalists?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

I have the free trial of American Prime $7.99 Dollars a month just for video, had to use a fake American address when signing up and still need a DNS service. A lot of the older HBO shows on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I was going to sign up for the free one-month trial but having just read this it's not a glowing endorsement of it. :confused:

I was going to sign up for the free one-month trial but having just read this it's not a glowing endorsement of it. :confused:

There's a fair bit on there, it really depends on what you want to see/what you've already seen.

You can browse through the catalog before signing up to see if it's worth it.

Tomorrow seems to be "Prime Day" where Prime customers get access to lots of really good bargains, so it might be worth it for that alone :D

Having to use a VPN or similar method is the only problem, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

**** that, I'm not fiddling with a VPN for a service that won't do the paperwork etc. to serve Ireland. I'll pirate anything they have exclusives on that I'm interested in (Just Preacher and Mr. Robot basically), and I've been trying to convince everyone I know to go legit and try Netflix for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm trying the free trial atm too. It works on my PC with necessary dns service but it the phone app won't let me watch anything. Anyone else found the same?

Also for anyone doing the trial you can cancel it immediately in case you forget later on. You still get full service until your trial runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I signed up for the Prime trial on Monday. Still getting this.
    Important Message: Thank you for signing up for Amazon Prime. Your membership should be active in a few minutes. If you continue to receive this message, please contact Customer Service.

I emailed customer service in UK and cis@amazon.com and still no reply. I can't cancel either as I can't "manage" it. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Anyone know if we lose the free shipping option to Ireland (over £25) if we sign up to Prime? Read something from a few years ago that we did. Thinking of joining Prime to get early access to the Black Friday deals.

Advertisement