Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

interesting, i rang the number instead of filling out the form and ordered it and was told it would be installed within 10 working days. Also that i was only 2km from the (nearest?) mast. Looks like i'll be a guinea pig for the service but at least shouldnt suffer from contention :rolleyes:

Some points to note from conversation with sales rep:
    - Static ip for free
    - will not drop below 30Mb. not in contract but said their were limiting subscribers to ensure QOS. hopefully will be the case
    - full support for VPNs
    - The home phone app can be installed on up to 3 phones
    - €100 cancellation fee if cancelled within 18 month contract but not liable for outstanding amount on contract
    - if ye go above 20GB daily limit you are throttled back to 3/0.75 (i cant remember exactly but around that) until midnight. Basically to stop you streaming and heavy dl but so you can still surf and access email
    - outdoor antenna and router provided
    - <edit>forgot this one earlier. Pings expected range to be 15-30ms but shouldnt be more than 30ms</edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Signed up for a Galway connection also. Interesting thing is all marketing material states range is 13km and I am nearer to 18km from Tonabrooky mast. Eircode was provided to them. Am hoping it will be cost neutral if I can cancel my existing landline/dsl connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Scruff wrote: »
    interesting, i rang the number instead of filling out the form and ordered it and was told it would be installed within 10 working days. Also that i was only 2km from the (nearest?) mast. Looks like i'll be a guinea pig for the service but at least shouldnt suffer from contention :rolleyes:

Some points to note from conversation with sales rep:
    - Static ip for free
    - will not drop below 30Mb. not in contract but said their were limiting subscribers to ensure QOS. hopefully will be the case
    - full support for VPNs
    - The home phone app can be installed on up to 3 phones
    - €100 cancellation fee if cancelled within 18 month contract but not liable for outstanding amount on contract
    - if ye go above 20GB daily limit you are throttled back to 3/0.75 (i cant remember exactly but around that) until midnight. Basically to stop you streaming and heavy dl but so you can still surf and access email
    - outdoor antenna and router provided

Some great info in your last there, cheers.

Just rang the number there myself now and he said two sites going live next week in turnabrookey and Cashla. I presumed I was going off cashla site as I am just within its range but was told there is another site going live in June and this is the one I'm off. Literally stones throw from where I live so should be very good reception. They seem to be really motoring ahead with getting new sites live so coverage map should be lot larger in few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

If they would bring this service to my area of limerick id sign up in a heart beat.

irishchris wrote: »
    Some great info in your last there, cheers.

Just rang the number there myself now and he said two sites going live next week in turnabrookey and Cashla. I presumed I was going off cashla site as I am just within its range but was told there is another site going live in June and this is the one I'm off. Literally stones throw from where I live so should be very good reception. They seem to be really motoring ahead with getting new sites live so coverage map should be lot larger in few weeks

Forgot the pings, added it to above (15-30ms)

Will these sites appear on comregs siteviewer or is that just mobile phone masts? Must ask engineer where exactly the site i'll be connecting to is.
    dashoonage wrote: »
    If they would bring this service to my area of limerick id sign up in a heart beat.
    yeah it pretty beats the pants of the Lightnet and Airwire offerings that are the other wireless operators in the Galway area. Hope it lives up to its claims...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Scruff wrote: »
    Will these sites appear on comregs siteviewer or is that just mobile phone masts? Must ask engineer where exactly the site i'll be connecting to is

FWALA maps for each operator here - http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

dashoonage wrote: »

That makes two us. Sick of using mobile dongle and watching my download allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just checked on google maps and its says we are 4.2km from the masts (direct line of sight) ... I wonder will proximity help with a stable connection once they don't overload the LTE network?

leex wrote: »
    Signed up for a Galway connection also. Interesting thing is all marketing material states range is 13km and I am nearer to 18km from Tonabrooky mast. Eircode was provided to them. Am hoping it will be cost neutral if I can cancel my existing landline/dsl connection.

There is a mast in cashla, would you be nearer it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

Hi. I also just signed up for the Rylane mast due to go live next month. Does anyone have any details on the model of indoor router used and the connection method to the outside antenna...I presume rj45. I may wish to keep my existing router as the WiFi range is exceptional...just vying my opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Waffleon wrote: »
    Hi. I also just signed up for the Rylane mast due to go live next month. Does anyone have any details on the model of indoor router used and the connection method to the outside antenna...I presume rj45. I may wish to keep my existing router as the WiFi range is exceptional...just vying my opinions.
    Mine is a Greenpacket router (system status page says WN-600), I just disabled the WiFi and connected my router (Asus NT-R66U) for exactly that reason. I don't think you can replace the supplied router ( I was told it provides power to the outside unit & it also provides VOIP functionality).

morgana wrote: »
    Mine is a Greenpacket router (system status page says WN-600), I just disabled the WiFi and connected my router (Asus NT-R66U) for exactly that reason. I don't think you can replace the supplied router ( I was told it provides power to the outside unit & it also provides VOIP functionality).

any pics or links to manuals of the WN-600? Does it supply power to the external unit via RJ45?

Thanks Morgana. Could you post a few pictures of the indoor unit please. I emailed imagine looking for some info on the router and was informed that it is now going to be a Gemtek router from now on. I tried researching both router types and it was quite difficult to find any info online. I would prefer the option to purchase my own equipment to improve reliability of service and general equipment quality. I don't have any reason to knock the supplied router brand but in my experience they are normally cheap "will do the job....just" and I totally understand why. How are your speeds now. I am currently an Airwave customer and can honestly say the service was fantastic. 12 meg and phone for 59 Euro. Extremely reliable and excellent customer service. However I find it difficult not to try imagine Ltd for more than twice the speed at the same price. Airwaves did however provide enterprise grade hardware by ubiquity.....reliable would be an understatement.

Here are some pics - not the greatest, hopefully you can see what you need.

y3mzfPkGTWcw9kRwY-afrg5ml45P89wDi9C4DHdst1k-NTGzFRFXiFe0Q9ysptyP5kg1ViH4TjhHBoCQ1gnEp3lNG_mGKiWZjutPw8VZJ18DQOAM3SZ_8yy_Jm8lJIappnmBjvg1s3tk3PuARdwLdHB3QB2VUZtmm-Sy5HJB4YzeUE?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

y3mtfV_cNy4A-lfxqouBnv453xyEbEcGtw2Yr3vb0iwuPqWw0ymCZUQ6jvHLHC_xV3ZJoQ1ClEPwkHrXKT8tmaRm8nRc2mSjo8gDVqogsGor7RLefeJr-7FaDNoPpIxmmmj8AxlH7JVGUeka4JeSLUewSG246vfQMxhPa3ghw7B6ZM?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

y3m5Y5BXqUJQqtNFDmIJY75UbmUzmEreGc7PtJ2Oa8ijMpFq0M7UaQH9j_NiMdLRcaPSMMaBIplMKHAOTE1h8E0tvYVygX98djOztTxVpgcOV6ZvATfaC5sNzI5-c3_C8J1N_MAFRBVqQS-BvudoA0W4-RcrtpVlzkIlQxsBIjZE8s?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

I could not find any meaningful info on the router either, and believe me, I searched high and low for it :P. Any info is from the Philippines and Malaysia where this technology seems to be wide-spread. I happened to find the router access combo by trial and error (!) but heard they have changed that since :P
    I am using my Asus NT N66U for its strong wireless and NAS.

I tested the supplied router's wireless, and while not bad, the Asus is better. The supplied router is still needed for Voip functions - although I probably could continue to use my old PAP with the relevant setup info.

I am still very happy with the service, assuming that the Bweeng mast is at or close to capacity, speeds average between 35 and 45 Mbps with occasional outliers at both ends. True to their promise, it has almost never dropped below 30 Mbps and uptime in the last few weeks has been 100%.
    Speedtest History
    Funny side note: Since I posted this, speed tests suddenly go above 50 Mbps which they hadn't done for a while. Draw your own conclusions. :P

Coming from Ripplecom averaging a speed of 5 Mbps and pathetic download caps, this has been a huge change. Bandwidth is no longer an issue, we can stream and play simultaneously without problems. We changed Netflix to standard quality which is perfectly fine for us and even large game downloads happen very quickly in contrast to the major balancing operation it used to be (bandwidth, time & cap wise).

Can't fault their CS either, on the one occasion I had reason to contact them, they were courteous and eager to solve the problem (which turned out to be a problem at the Bweeng mast, they didn't seem to access at the time to that data).
    I would presume that their systems have matured somewhat by now as well as my area was one of the first two of the roll-out.

Thanks again Morgana.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Interesting that no one has addressed the elephant in the room here. The Imagine 3.5/3.6GHz FWALA license expires on 31st July 2017.
    On that date, the operator must switch off all equipment or be faced with the wrath of the Wireless Telegraphy act by ComReg.

Imagine are obviously adopting an approach whereby they lobby for a license extension in a years time. The chances of this happening are minimal and the most likely outcome will be similar to what happened with the MMDS last month.

This license will be auctioned next year - Imagine are obviously very sure they are going to win this !

Well from my point of view I think comreg and the authorities should praise imagine for ploughing ahead and providing for so many people what the last few governments have promised but , as usual, failed to deliver on. I for one am sick of lads at work boasting about their 100meg upc broadband while we in the sticks are limited to less than 10. If imagine are true to their word, are reliable, and don't fall into the oversubscription trap I think I will be a very happy customer indeed...ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I totally agree with the fact that this band should be made available for TDD-LTE. However this does not change the facts, no matter how well this works or how one commends Imagine - this license expires in July 2017. If Imagine continue to offer service after that date they will be in breach of the Broadcasting and Wireless Telegrapy act 1988 - in effect a broadband pirate !
    It will be very interesting to see what happens if they have thousands of customers by that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/draft_information_memorandum_-_proposed_3_6_ghz_band_spectrum_award.583.105082.p.html

This is Comreg current position on the auctioning of the band
    While ComReg cannot provide further clarity on the overall timelines at this juncture, as this will depend, among other things, on the nature of responses received, ComReg would reiterate that it remains conscious of the expiry of existing 3.6 GHz licences in July 2017 and is working towards providing clarity on the future of the 3.6 GHz Band as far as possible significantly in advance of this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Imagine are playing a clever game here. They know that if they connect several thousand rural users to a service infinitely better than the existing service if any and then "the government" try and take it away every TD from outside the pale will raise hell.

• Advertisement

Let alone the users of the service ! And if Imagine can continue how they started (good product & customer service), their customers will raise even more hell :P

maybe this thread should be renamed so that its no longer specific to North/East Cork? others in areas its rolling out may miss the discussion.
    @morgana can you edit the title still?

Nope, but I messaged the mods and requested a change of thread title to Imagine LTE Rural Broadband.

@morgana or anyone who is currently using this service. As it has now been live for many for a while would someone be able to post a speedtest taken at peak times such as 8/9PM

irishchris wrote: »
    @morgana or anyone who is currently using this service. As it has now been live for many for a while would someone be able to post a speedtest taken at peak times such as 8/9PM

She's posted and stated speeds several times already.

ED E wrote: »
    She's posted and stated speeds several times already.

Thanks for that Ed, was asking for updated speed result now that the service has been active a while and subscribers should be nearer the maximum of the mast. If I put you out with my question I apologise but I am about to be installed soon and with it being an 18 month contract I would like to see how the service hold up under increased strain

Could you ask for anything more like...
    Speedtest History

Thank you Ed E :P -
    Also, when I run a test at peak time this usually means I have other things going on at the same time (MMO, Netflix) so its not an absolute reading without anything else consuming bandwidth.

ED E wrote: »
    Could you ask for anything more like...

I missed the speedtest result in the middle of that long post. Thanks for removing all the long excess and highlighting that small part. Appreciate that.

Nice long history of speed results there Morgana. Thanks for that really helpful screengrab Morgana as it really helps to give confidence in what looks like an excellent service by imagine

y3mzfPkGTWcw9kRwY-afrg5ml45P89wDi9C4DHdst1k-NTGzFRFXiFe0Q9ysptyP5kg1ViH4TjhHBoCQ1gnEp3lNG_mGKiWZjutPw8VZJ18DQOAM3SZ_8yy_Jm8lJIappnmBjvg1s3tk3PuARdwLdHB3QB2VUZtmm-Sy5HJB4YzeUE?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

y3mtfV_cNy4A-lfxqouBnv453xyEbEcGtw2Yr3vb0iwuPqWw0ymCZUQ6jvHLHC_xV3ZJoQ1ClEPwkHrXKT8tmaRm8nRc2mSjo8gDVqogsGor7RLefeJr-7FaDNoPpIxmmmj8AxlH7JVGUeka4JeSLUewSG246vfQMxhPa3ghw7B6ZM?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

y3m5Y5BXqUJQqtNFDmIJY75UbmUzmEreGc7PtJ2Oa8ijMpFq0M7UaQH9j_NiMdLRcaPSMMaBIplMKHAOTE1h8E0tvYVygX98djOztTxVpgcOV6ZvATfaC5sNzI5-c3_C8J1N_MAFRBVqQS-BvudoA0W4-RcrtpVlzkIlQxsBIjZE8s?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

I could not find any meaningful info on the router either, and believe me, I searched high and low for it :P. Any info is from the Philippines and Malaysia where this technology seems to be wide-spread. I happened to find the router access combo by trial and error (!) but heard they have changed that since :P
    I am using my Asus NT N66U for its strong wireless and NAS.

I tested the supplied router's wireless, and while not bad, the Asus is better. The supplied router is still needed for Voip functions - although I probably could continue to use my old PAP with the relevant setup info.

I am still very happy with the service, assuming that the Bweeng mast is at or close to capacity, speeds average between 35 and 45 Mbps with occasional outliers at both ends. True to their promise, it has almost never dropped below 30 Mbps and uptime in the last few weeks has been 100%.
    Speedtest History
    Funny side note: Since I posted this, speed tests suddenly go above 50 Mbps which they hadn't done for a while. Draw your own conclusions. :P

Coming from Ripplecom averaging a speed of 5 Mbps and pathetic download caps, this has been a huge change. Bandwidth is no longer an issue, we can stream and play simultaneously without problems. We changed Netflix to standard quality which is perfectly fine for us and even large game downloads happen very quickly in contrast to the major balancing operation it used to be (bandwidth, time & cap wise).

Can't fault their CS either, on the one occasion I had reason to contact them, they were courteous and eager to solve the problem (which turned out to be a problem at the Bweeng mast, they didn't seem to access at the time to that data).
    I would presume that their systems have matured somewhat by now as well as my area was one of the first two of the roll-out.

• Advertisement

Thank you Ed E :P -
    Also, when I run a test at peak time this usually means I have other things going on at the same time (MMO, Netflix) so its not an absolute reading without anything else consuming bandwidth.

Thanks yet again. I had noticed the speeds dropping below 30mbs at peak times around 9pm but that explains it if you have Netflix etc consuming bandwidth at the time. Cheers

Advertisement