Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

i imagine the decision to cut one drive from 30 to 5 GB of free space is going to be a big negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I'm using iOS since the iPhone 4 (before that Nokia N900, N97, N95), currently using an iPhone 6 Plus.

And today I bought a Lumia 640 LTE. Should have it by friday. It's strange reading this thread and everyone talking about leaving when I'm just getting on board. I am really just trying out the platform and making my own informed judgement about it, to be fair to it.

And I have an Xbox One which I quite like, so there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

fifth wrote: »
    And I have an Xbox One which I quite like, so there's that.

This is why I wanted to buy into Windows Phone - to make the most of the shared ecosystem between phone, xbox and pc. While the Xbox and PC operating systems are pretty good the phone OS is seriously let down by these limitations.

MS used to seriously push this format - but it looks like their efforts are dying down as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

@fifth,

The L640 is quite a good device ... good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Am on my 3rd Windows phone-have the Lumia 640XL at the minute- and am seriously considering moving to Android after 5 or so years with WP. Lack of apps don't bother me too much, have a Nexus tablet so have all the other apps I need on it. But the apps I do have, and lack of support for them, are what's making me want to change.

Have the same problem as above with Facebook on the browser, my Facebook app doesn't want to give me my most recent feed half the time. Had to do a hard reset of the phone not so long ago as the app wouldn't update or open due to some error and resetting the phone was the only answer Microsoft had to fix it. Now the same has happened to my Twitter app.

I love the ease and personalization of WP but I think its finally time to admit defeat and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

I'm only guessing this; that Windows Mobile can only get better rather than worse .................. so, if you (and I) have stuck with them this long; then we may aswell wait til they get the Anniversary edition of W10 launched & the bugs ironed out ............................ then, if that's still **** ... goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TBi

IRL-Tony wrote: »
    that Windows Mobile can only get better rather than worse

They've had years to get better, 7 - 8 was an improvement but it seems all downhill from 8 - 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Buttros

I've finally bitten the bullet. Battery gone to crap (phone issue with my 930 more than wp10 probably) Spotify now won't start most of the time. Can't always send emails and a couple other regularly used apps becoming even less reliable.

Browsed the Chinese androids thread for ideas and have ordered a Xiaomi Mi 5.

Worst thing is ill have a few friends slagging me about how I said windows phones were better etc etc 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TBi

Buttros wrote: »
    Worst thing is ill have a few friends slagging me about how I said windows phones were better etc etc 😭

Well, to be fair, they were better.

TBi wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, they were better.

And if facebook is not important, still better. May be they should be seen as a business user phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I've given up as well. Switched to iOS with the Carphone Warehouse iPhone 5s deal on 3. Even though the 5s is a lot worse on paper than the 930, it's such a relief to be using a phone that just works well, no quirks, no drama. I love it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just got a nexus 5x for £270, have been loving a solid platform with loads of apps. A sad day, I'll always miss my start screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

Buttros wrote: »

Browsed the Chinese androids thread for ideas and have ordered a Xiaomi Mi 5.

I must look at that thread.

+1 on the friends thing too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

After having to fight to get the screen on my 640XL replaced under warranty the bloody thing has got lost in the post on the way back to me. Been waiting weeks now while the post office try to find it and for the last week I have been using a 1st Gen Moto G whilst not perfect is miles better than the 640XL on Win10 particularly for browsing which is what I use the phone most for during the day.

Depending on how much the insurance pays out I will probably go for either a One plus X or a Wiley Fox Swift.

Windows Mobile just isn't at the races, the perpetual "wait just 3 more months, the next update will fix everything" just doesn't cut it any more.

Perhaps if the hardware allows for Windows mobile to be a full PC in your pocket things will change but you have to wonder if Intel's decision to abandon the low cost chip sector has put paid to any hope of that in the foreseeable future.

invest4deepvalue.com

I wish I could install android on my 640XL! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The Lumia brand is dead, the sub-par release of Windows Phone 10 killed it.

I doubt Microsoft will pull out of the phone market though, especially now where they're nearly at a point that their phones are as good or better than most of the other offerings out there. Most likely we'll see the release of the Surface Phone next which in reality will just be the next generation of Lumias.

Seems even Microsoft employees are bailing on using their own phones

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Only 1.2M Lumia phones were sold in the last quarter - http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_only_sold_around_12_million_lumia_phones_in_the_april_to_june_quarter-news-19693.php

Don't walk, run away from Windows phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

And more....

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/07/microsoft-2850-job-cuts-windows-phone-sales-nokia/

I've a Android phone now alongside my Windows Phone. Really think the WP OS is vastly better. But its just too unreliable. I can see myself moving from Android to Apple though. I just don't like the OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm going to wait and see how the new iphone is and then decide.

Annoying. I never expected MS to screw it up so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Kamili wrote: »
    Seems even Microsoft employees are bailing on using their own phones

That's been the case for a few years now. They're not forced to use Windows Phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I am loath to go back to Android but I will have to eventually. I would never use a iPhone though. I'd go back to a dumb phone before doing that.

All platforms are pretty similar now, both Windows 10 mobile and iPhones are similar in that they don't allow too much user choice (especially where it comprises the security of the user).

I think the choice (as it has been for a few years now) comes down to apps and services - does it have what you need to get things done on a daily bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

theothernt wrote: »
    That's been the case for a few years now. They're not forced to use Windows Phones.

Maybe they should be and then they might be more pro-active about fixing the problems :p

Half their own apps don't function properly on WP, so they were forced to move away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I had to send my Moto G for repairs, so I was stuck for a week with my backup Lumia 640 that I bought just out of curiosity but never actually used for extended time.

I have say, I liked the OS. I really did.

It desperately lacks the functionality (no third party keyboards, need home location unlocking), needs more refinements (selecting text is cumbersome (when you tap on a checkbox, a caret might appear next to it instead of selecting it), can't use the Share option the same way you can on Android and iOS to Share stuff between apps, etc...) and the applications available for Android and iOS, but the core itself, the tiles, the UI, I actually liked quite a bit. It is also quite smooth.

Here's a thing though, after a few days, I noticed that when you scrolled slowly, holding down your finger on the screen (dragging), the page or whatever you were scrolling would erratically jump around. Googled it and turns out many people have this issue with Windows 10 (something with drivers). But again just out of curiosity, I googled Microsoft's warranty. And my goodness, what a mess! I couldn't find how to send the phone for repairs, if need be.

First Microsoft's page asks you to register the device, but when you pick "Ireland" as your country, the subsequent selection box gets narrowed down to "Surface" only, phone option is gone. So basically, I can't register it. I couldn't find anything so I just gave up.

http://i.imgur.com/lJW4FEo.png

http://i.imgur.com/24fnhgc.png

So, even if you like the core OS and want to give it a try and use it. Everything works against you instead for you, being inviting and welcoming. Microsoft definitely failed big time with mobile revolution, they were not ready, then they were arrogant (remember Ballmer?), then they had multiple "restarts" and at each restart, customers jumped to either iOS or Android. Now with employees leaving or being let go and as Down South linked, the Lumia line being potentially killed off, I don't know if it's a good time to try Windows Phone. Even if they come out with a premium Surface phone, their employees are leaving, their main camera guy from Nokia is gone. And it's not like Apple or Google are slowing down to let Microsoft catch up, in fact they are advancing faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

I still haven't made the leap. Iphone probably makes most sense for me as husband has one, but darn, they are expensive!

Whats a good alternative? I normally buy sim free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Personally I wouldn't spend 400 on a phone, only to replace it in a year or two... That's just me though. I'm a cheapskate :D

Take a look at the Chinese mobiles in the android forum, some good suggestions on there. The Xiaomi Red Mi pro 3 is getting very good reviews. I'm very tempted...

Advertisement