Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

april phonecalls/ may intake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Well, how is hotel GV treating you lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

We have the induction weekend completed buddy, but not quite in yet. I am happy to say that my fellow squad mates were all dead on and it was a pleasure meeting those that I had the chance to meet. :)
    That in itself sort of puts your mind at ease. Although I fully expect to get hammered from day one by the staff :)

We have the induction weekend completed buddy, but not quite in yet. I am happy to say that my fellow squad mates were all dead on and it was a pleasure meeting those that I had the chance to meet. :)
    That in itself sort of puts your mind at ease. Although I fully expect to get hammered from day one by the staff :)
    I thought you guys were in already! Oh you have a lot to look forward too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Whataboutye

Just out of interest, is it all the same faces that you see at you pca and medical etc???

Just out of interest, is it all the same faces that you see at you pca and medical etc???

Some will be, some won't be... Some will be in the squad above/below you and others may not have made it

• Advertisement

Haha, no not quite. I am sure you will be able to tell once I am in, as this place will be filled with sobs from myself due to how freaking hard it is going to be. :)
    Any advices?? lol.
    Also, how is it going for you? Still loving the job?

Haha, no not quite. I am sure you will be able to tell once I am in, as this place will be filled with sobs from myself due to how freaking hard it is going to be. :)
    Any advices?? lol.

The only advice you need is to get your head down and work hard. Take a good sense of humour in with you cause you'll need it. You never know, you may even see me knocking around some evenings as I use the gym there and sometimes us the computers! If I can pass it, anyone can! Just takes the right mindset :)

Any advices?? lol.

The only advice you need is to get your head down and work hard. Take a good sense of humour in with you cause you'll need it. You never know, you may even see me knocking around some evenings as I use the gym there and sometimes us the computers! If I can pass it, anyone can! Just takes the right mindset :)
    Cheers buddy. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I have a sense of humour all I need to do is look in the mirror each morning ;)

Am I right in saying that it is 5 weeks on Wednesday here that you all got your call?

Am I right in saying that it is 5 weeks on Wednesday here that you all got your call?
    5 weeks next Tuesday buddy

• Advertisement

So it is! For some reason I had in my head yous got the call in the 6th!

So it is! For some reason I had in my head yous got the call in the 6th!
    I think it was 4 weeks from the last set of calls whenever we got ours though. I think (from memory) we were all predicting them to come the week after they did.
    You really cant predict them! :)

Yeah I have in my head it'll be 5 weeks, hoping the it'll be 4. But like you say near impossible to predict, just need to hang tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭networksearch1

Yeah I have in my head it'll be 5 weeks, hoping the it'll be 4. But like you say near impossible to predict, just need to hang tight!
    Please god let there be more calls this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lurker101

Let's hope so! The waiting is terrible!

I know! All fingers and toes crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

So how are you all feeling?!?! Online done? Nerves setting in yet? Any questions give me a shout. I'll try to answer them as best I can

Mop a top wrote: »
    So how are you all feeling?!?! Online done? Nerves setting in yet? Any questions give me a shout. I'll try to answer them as best I can
    Half looking forward to getting stuck in, half terrified ;)
    I am looking forward to getting stuck in to the physical aspect and the class learning etc but am not looking forward to uniform prep (ironing and the like).
    How are you finding it a few weeks in?

The ironing I have nailed plus unless you've got tattoos on your arms you're starting off in short sleeves. I've got a massive peg to clip my shirt as you'll literally need 3 hands to iron. I'll show you what I mean when you're here. I might be here for your intake day if not I'll see you all the next day your in.

Still loving it. PE is a bit rough on you at the time but buzzing after today's session. Bulling boots takes a bit of practice but everyone is awesome and we've great craic in our classes. Looking forward to not being the junior squad. Your weeks will fly in. Almost 4 done already in the blink of an eye.

Your intake day will totally overwhelm you but seriously play the game and don't take anything personally, yes sir/ma'am/staff, no sir/ma'am/staff! BE A TEAM PLAYER!!!!! Prepare yourself for early mornings, long days and late nights for the first few weeks. We weren't too bad cos we got our **** together as a squad pretty sharp. It's amazing, walking through the doors of GV under that PSNI sign, it's best decision you've ever made in your life. :D

The ironing I have nailed plus unless you've got tattoos on your arms you're starting off in short sleeves. I've got a massive peg to clip my shirt as you'll literally need 3 hands to iron. I'll show you what I mean when you're here. I might be here for your intake day if not I'll see you all the next day your in.

Still loving it. PE is a bit rough on you at the time but buzzing after today's session. Bulling boots takes a bit of practice but everyone is awesome and we've great craic in our classes. Looking forward to not being the junior squad. Your weeks will fly in. Almost 4 done already in the blink of an eye.

Your intake day will totally overwhelm you but seriously play the game and don't take anything personally, yes sir/ma'am/staff, no sir/ma'am/staff! BE A TEAM PLAYER!!!!! Prepare yourself for early mornings, long days and late nights for the first few weeks. We weren't too bad cos we got our **** together as a squad pretty sharp. It's amazing, walking through the doors of GV under that PSNI sign, it's best decision you've ever made in your life. :D
    Eugh! Early mornings and long days whilst trying to take things in during class. All whilst trying to iron and fit in some bench and skwats.

Still, didn't do two years to tap out now :)

I'm all ears for any and all advice on how to struggle through whenever I get in.

I.have a sneaky suspicion we are going to get beasted by the trainers. :)

• Advertisement

Getting beasted is half the craic. I can't keep a straight face and there's method to their madness lol. I was never the best at getting up but with doors that bang and paper thin walls you'll not have the option of sleeping in :P just be mindful of other squads doing exams

Getting beasted is half the craic. I can't keep a straight face and there's method to their madness lol. I was never the best at getting up but with doors that bang and paper thin walls you'll not have the option of sleeping in :P just be mindful of other squads doing exams
    I am used to getting up relatively early each day for the 9-5 but getting up earlier combined with the longer days and later nights sounds like its going to be tough going.
    Funny, with all the references to "Hotel G.V" on here, I thought there was room service. No? ;)

Il let you ask the drill staff for room service :D

Il let you ask the drill staff for room service :D
    I think I will pass. One stupid comment like that equates to 22 weeks of being picked on I suspect ;)

Can anyone that's currently in GV advise me either on here or via pm is you still get the security allowance on top of your salary.
    Many thanks

Can anyone that's currently in GV advise me either on here or via pm is you still get the security allowance on top of your salary.
    Many thanks

Yes, paid monthly from when you start

Can anyone advise please if there is anything specific you need to bring with you for induction.
    Thanks

It should all be included in your invitation letter/email

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hopeful20160

I went today to get some of the essentials!! Have a couple of questions - if anyone knows the answer it would be much appreciated :-) i got black boot socks in Trespass however the undersole of them is a dark grey colour, will this matter? Also i see the bedding has to be plain, I just picked up a navy coloured one, no pattern. Is navy ok or would it have to be black, white or grey? Maybe I am over thinking but I really do not want to bring things that aren't suitable :-) thanks guys

• Advertisement

I went today to get some of the essentials!! Have a couple of questions - if anyone knows the answer it would be much appreciated :-) i got black boot socks in Trespass however the undersole of them is a dark grey colour, will this matter? Also i see the bedding has to be plain, I just picked up a navy coloured one, no pattern. Is navy ok or would it have to be black, white or grey? Maybe I am over thinking but I really do not want to bring things that aren't suitable :-) thanks guys

Only you will see your socks. No problems there. Bedding is also fine so long as it's plain!

Advertisement