Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Anyone manage to get the router login details. Just got it installed but only getting 5 to 7 megs was at 50 just after install. Would like to try avoid the provided router and use my own netgears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

I just plugged my Asus into theirs and switched off the wireless on the Greenpack (didnt want to try bridge mode etc.) - works ok. But if you are only getting 5 - 7 Mbps consistently, I would contact Support to let them check into it. I very rarely go below 35, average 40 - 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

Had recieved call to say could recieve this service few months bank then recently to say wouldn't be in coverage then today to say I would be in coverage. Expected to install in six weeks so wouldn't be surprised to then be told not in coverage lol

How is everyone finding the service since launch? Anyone in Galway with it? How are the ping times and speeds at peak evening times? Anyone use this service for gaming as young fella has an Xbox and wondering if that works good or lags?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Quiksilver

Imagine have finally put up a coverage map for the different counties they are in. It seems to be a small enough area; Hopefully they are expanding to much larger areas and that it will happen in Weeks/Months and not years. I had noticed that BBNet are now offering GoFibre 100Mb for €38 a month, but i think it is a wired service not wireless, which is what i taught their business was all based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Quiksilver wrote: »
    Imagine have finally put up a coverage map for the different counties they are in. It seems to be a small enough area; Hopefully they are expanding to much larger areas and that it will happen in Weeks/Months and not years. I had noticed that BBNet are now offering GoFibre 100Mb for €38 a month, but i think it is a wired service not wireless, which is what i taught their business was all based on.

The only map I see is the WiMax coverage map. Have you got a link to the LTE map? (if you can't post the link, just include spaces in it - we can figure it out :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Quiksilver

Just go to imagine ie /lte-fibre-coverage then click on a county and then scroll down. Their should be a link on the main page for coverage. It was only added yesterday I think (was the first time I saw it anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Quiksilver wrote: »
    Just go to imagine ie /lte-fibre-coverage then click on a county and then scroll down. Their should be a link on the main page for coverage. It was only added yesterday I think (was the first time I saw it anyway).

Thanks - here we go for everyone else http://www.imagine.ie/lte-fibre-coverage/

irishchris wrote:
    How is everyone finding the service since launch? Anyone in Galway with it? How are the ping times and speeds at peak evening times? Anyone use this service for gaming as young fella has an Xbox and wondering if that works good or lags?

I'm using to play mmo's and no problems at all. Lag, if I have it at all, is usually server side. Pings to the server (Amsterdam) are around 59 to 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Took the plunge last week and placed the order... will update on how we get on with everything.

Does anyone in the Mallow area know if its off the Bweeng masts that this service is run from?

Also has anyone got the Smart TV Box? I wonder is it worth the extra €34?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Took the plunge last week and placed the order... will update on how we get on with everything.

Does anyone in the Mallow area know if its off the Bweeng masts that this service is run from?

Also has anyone got the Smart TV Box? I wonder is it worth the extra €34?

Be interested to know if anyone got this box too. Appears like generic android box but may be wrong

• Advertisement

Yea its run off the Bweeng mast.

morgana wrote: »
    Yea its run off the Bweeng mast.
    Thanks morgana, how are the speeds now? Any issues with streaming at peak times.

The told us on the phone last week that 335/400 places have been filled on the Bweeng mast so it will be interesting if there is any major drop in quality as places are filled.

Still getting average speeds around 35 - 50 Mbps, I'm happy with that. No issues with Netflix at all. Only sometimes dropped connections on Skype on the Laptop, but that's due to the laptops crappy wifi card :P. Streaming and gaming on different devices at the same time is no problem.
    I enjoy getting game updates in no time compared to waiting for hours or overnight as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Still getting average speeds around 35 - 50 Mbps, I'm happy with that. No issues with Netflix at all. Only sometimes dropped connections on Skype on the Laptop, but that's due to the laptops crappy wifi card :P. Streaming and gaming on different devices at the same time is no problem.
    I enjoy getting game updates in no time compared to waiting for hours or overnight as before.

Just don't try Star Citizen or your daily limit will be consumed every patch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

Thanks for the detailed updates Morgana.

Any chance you'd let me know where in north Cork your located? I'm over Lyre/Banteer direction and reckon I'd be off the Bweeng mast as well but obviously a fair distance away.
    Was onto to Imagine the other day but might go ahead with them now based in your updates and the NBS being pushed out again

Thanks for the detailed updates Morgana.

Any chance you'd let me know where in north Cork your located? I'm over Lyre/Banteer direction and reckon I'd be off the Bweeng mast as well but obviously a fair distance away.
    Was onto to Imagine the other day but might go ahead with them now based in your updates and the NBS being pushed out again
    After hearing the NBP is postponed again I'm glad we gave imagine the go ahead last week... I think this will probably be the best we can hope for in this decade at least in this area.

Did they mention how many slots were left off the Bweeng mast to you? They said they reckoned about 10 working days last Monday.

irishfeen wrote: »
    After hearing the NBP is postponed again I'm glad we gave imagine the go ahead last week... I think this will probably be the best we can hope for in this decade at least in this area.

Did they mention how many slots were left off the Bweeng mast to you? They said they reckoned about 10 working days last Monday.

I'll ask them again tomorrow. I asked for a callback to arrange an installation date. They were still at about 10 working days lead time

I'm between Lombardstown / Glantane. And I had the same thought, just as well Imagine came along otherwise we'd be left behind more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Mate of mine spotted an add on Facebook that it is in (or coming to) Donegal. If so it would be fantastic to get rid of the crowd I'm currently with.

I also noticed on their site they say "While the minimum speed that Imagine will connect you at is 30MB but can easily be 70Mb, depending on your location." Not many will state a minimum, although I doubt they could be held to that.

Also, someone was wondering earlier :

From twitter : "Between 12am and 7am you could download and it wouldn't count towards your 20Gb."

Which is great.

• Advertisement

Got the call back today and have it ordered.
    45 "spots" left on the Bweeng high mast which I was told they have restricted to 200 subscribers.

Just waiting now for the scheduling team to contact me

You better not be an Imagine ringer morgana :D

What kind of ping stats are you getting morgana? Many hops to get to 8.8.8.8 for example? (Google DNS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Reyansh Little Bandage

chris_ie wrote: »
    Mate of mine spotted an add on Facebook that it is in (or coming to) Donegal. If so it would be fantastic to get rid of the crowd I'm currently with.

I also noticed on their site they say "While the minimum speed that Imagine will connect you at is 30MB but can easily be 70Mb, depending on your location." Not many will state a minimum, although I doubt they could be held to that.

They are mentioning the 30Mb minimum speed as they are hoping for their system to be adopted by the DCENR for the NBP which has 30Mb as a minimum target.

Already though there is a poster complaining of much slower peak time speeds although it has not been confimed as contention.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057590018

They are mentioning the 30Mb minimum speed as they are hoping for their system to be adopted by the DCENR for the NBP which has 30Mb as a minimum target.

Already though there is a poster complaining of much slower peak time speeds although it has not been confimed as contention.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057590018

Yeah saw that posters comments. Could be an internal issue. Or just an issue that they will fix. Will see how it pans out! I thought the same when I saw the 30MB to be honest, were they using that to say "look, we can do it!!". But at the same time, if they provide that then its great (for now..)

chris_ie wrote: »
    What kind of ping stats are you getting morgana? Many hops to get to 8.8.8.8 for example? (Google DNS)

Lol, they should pay me by now :D.

9 hops outside my network to google servers.

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1-4 Internal network hops

5 25 ms 34 ms 27 ms DN75-fe-0-0-1-10-taratowers.irishbroadband.ie [89.127.192.29]
    6 34 ms 22 ms 29 ms CE04-fe-0-0-0-21-westpark.irishbroadband.ie [89.127.192.114]
    7 48 ms 20 ms 34 ms xe-10-0-0.bar1.Dublin.Level3.net [212.73.251.169]
    8 39 ms 44 ms 44 ms ae-225-3601.edge3.London15.Level3.net [4.69.167.90]
    9 36 ms 43 ms 43 ms ae-225-3601.edge3.London15.Level3.net [4.69.167.90]
    10 42 ms 34 ms 34 ms Google-level3-3x10G.London.Level3.net [4.68.62.18]
    11 40 ms 44 ms 43 ms 216.239.56.227
    12 59 ms 65 ms 48 ms 72.14.239.153
    13 37 ms 34 ms 34 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

However, I did notice overall slower Mbps in the last couple of days - around 34 to 44. Not that it makes any difference in normal use; downloads are still very fast. I suppose a sign of spots on the mast being taken up. Its just lower speedtest averages where the geek in me wants to see high numbers :P

Just wondering if anyone in Galway has been connected yet

irishchris wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone in Galway has been connected yet

Hopefully someone might know if imagine provide a public ip. How do people gaming fare. Do you get an open nat by post forwarding or do imagine not provide public ip in first place?

irishchris wrote: »
    Hopefully someone might know if imagine provide a public ip. How do people gaming fare. Do you get an open nat by post forwarding or do imagine not provide public ip in first place?

Just bumping this one in the hope one of imagines customers see if. Due to be connected soon and public ip would be an important aspect for me. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

just today seen a load of roadside signs on the back roads around my house in Galway. Filled out inquiry form as soon as i got home but from looking at the coverage map should be covered.

slightly confused as to the set up, there is the external antenna box and a router? can the external box or router be connected to my existing router that has a WAN port? Had to do that with the previous lightnet antenna.

irishchris or any other galway customers let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement

Chatting to one of the imagine engineers that I met in my area. Mast in Galway has not been turned on yet but expected to be in a fortnight. Map is only computer generated expected signals from a computer model. More accurate map soon. Thankfully seems good signal in my area

Advertisement