Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards aware of the reputation it has across the web?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

They are far from silent, and NOT the majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Internet Ham

The one argument I have had thrown in my face in dealing with disputes is the ''well our mods are VOLUNTEERS''. This is no excuse for poor moderation and kind of gives us the reason moderation can be so inept and unbalanced.

These guys want to be mods. They WANT to do this. They must be getting something out of it. If half the mods are doing this because they like the control it gives them, then we have a problem and I would posit it's a great deal more than that. Some decisions and conversations I have had with mods and and having met some in the flesh rather reinforces that view in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭Goose81

mansize wrote: »

Well they clearly are, I dont see middle class Ireland voting in their droves for pro immigration left wing parties. We predominantly vote centrist to centrist/right.

Only the other day both Austria and Australia I believe voted in either right wing parties and president. Its a worldwide issue in the western world not solely an Irish issue. However lefties like yourself will still believe you represent the majority.

How are they not silent, I dont see mass demonstrations protests in Ireland? Do you. Yet if you look at the parties voted in none are vehemently pro immigration, both FG and FF would be moderate conservative thus representing their voters opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I agree, on boards they are definitely not the majority, or if they are they are very silent because bar a few posters who may be vocal about it I don't see many.

Slightly off topic here, but do you think it's harder for a right winger or a left winger on boards? As someone who has leanings to both sides, the backing, even if a lot of it is indirect, of the left by the mods is extremely annoying and can really alienate a lot of users.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Well they clearly are, I dont see middle class Ireland voting in their droves for pro immigration left wing parties. We predominantly vote centrist to centrist/right.

Only the other day both Austria and Australia I believe voted in either right wing parties and president. Its a worldwide issue in the western world not solely an Irish issue. However lefties like yourself will still believe you represent the majority.

How are they not silent, I dont see mass demonstrations protests in Ireland? Do you. Yet if you look at the parties voted in none are vehemently pro immigration.

The Anti Immigration parties got how many seats?

In Austria, they just topped the first round of votes- they will need a majority to get elected, I can't see that happening.

None of the parties in Dail Eireann espouse the wishes expressed in these threads, re Muslims etc

• Advertisement

I agree, on boards they are definitely not the majority, or if they are they are very silent because bar a few posters who may be vocal about it I don't see many.

Slightly off topic here, but do you think it's harder for a right winger or a left winger on boards? As someone who has leanings to both sides, the backing, even if a lot of it is indirect, of the left by the mods is extremely annoying and can really alienate a lot of users.

lean to both sides, having it every which way but loose?

There mods have a thankless task, but I wouldn't say its left or right leaning, just trying to get everyone to discuss within the rules.

And there is nothing centrist about the threads Im referring to! Thatcher was more centred!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

How are they not silent, I dont see mass demonstrations protests in Ireland? Do you. Yet if you look at the parties voted in none are vehemently pro immigration, both FG and FF would be moderate conservative thus representing their voters opinions.

We don't have a right wing party either, there's nothing like the Tories here.

Silent majority? Reminds me of the the racist down the pub going on his rant about Nigerians, every local has one.

Those people nodding at him aren't agreeing with him, they're waiting for him to shut up. Hence no anti-immigration party in Ireland.

I'm waiting for a new Libertarian party in Ireland too, popular online so must be loads wanting to set up a party for it too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The Anti Immigration parties got how many seats?

In Austria, they just topped the first round of votes- they will need a majority to get elected, I can't see that happening.

None of the parties in Dail Eireann espouse the wishes expressed in these threads, re Muslims etc

Not anti immigration. You are trying to compare it to say the racist BNP party in the UK.

Also they will get the vote in Austria BTW and even if they didn't it speaks volumes that they got such a high vote but continue to dismiss it.

I'm referring to silent middle Ireland who are clearly not in favour of mass immigration yet the lefties on boards who favour it would make you believe they are the majority and everyone in Ireland will be going to a welcome refugee march on Saturday .

The moderation on this site would be heavily scewed in favour of the left, the site has become comically PC over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

The one argument I have had thrown in my face in dealing with disputes is the ''well our mods are VOLUNTEERS''. This is no excuse for poor moderation and kind of gives us the reason moderation can be so inept and unbalanced.

These guys want to be mods. They WANT to do this. They must be getting something out of it. If half the mods are doing this because they like the control it gives them, then we have a problem and I would posit it's a great deal more than that. Some decisions and conversations I have had with mods and and having met some in the flesh rather reinforces that view in my eyes.

They want to do it because they feel a connection with the site and want to help, often been here for years. It'd be my hunch this is happening less and less with decisions being made about the site but I'm only guessing. Other mods maybe just like keeping interest in their small forums going as best they can.

Inconsistency doesn't happen as much in smaller forums because the mod teams are smaller, when you have multiple mods, individuals will look at things differently. Not to say I haven't seen a couple of mods who really shouldn't be doing the job, in small and large forums, just the good far, far out weigh the bad.

My tuppence worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Humour me here; cba googling.

WTF is SJW?

I know a lot of TLAs, but not that one...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

K-9 wrote: »

Silent majority? Reminds me of the the racist down the pub going on his rant about Nigerians, every local has one.

Those people nodding at him aren't agreeing with him, they're waiting for him to shut up. Hence no anti-immigration party in Ireland.

I'm waiting for a new Libertarian party in Ireland too, popular online so must be loads wanting to set up a party for it too.

Have you not sort of proven his point there? Basically dismissing his entire point with your 'lad at the pub' anecdote. Do you really think by 'silent majority' he meant that racist auld lad in the pub?

Esel wrote: »

WTF is SJW?

Social Justice Warrior!

I have my cape on order!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Social Justice Warrior!

I have my cape on order!

now whats a tla?!

Not anti immigration. You are trying to compare it to say the racist BNP party in the UK.

Also they will get the vote in Austria BTW and even if they didn't it speaks volumes that they got such a high vote but continue to dismiss it.

I'm referring to silent middle Ireland who are clearly not in favour of mass immigration yet the lefties on boards who favour it would make you believe they are the majority and everyone in Ireland will be going to a welcome refugee march on Saturday .

The moderation on this site would be heavily scewed in favour of the left, the site has become comically PC over the years.

that party with the unemployed teacher with the black eye- but they weren't anti-immigration either...

K-9 wrote: »

I wasnt referring to the man in the pub you bufoon. Read the post in its entirety before you get your guardian reading kickers in a twist.

Also the fact that you describe the Tories as a straight up right wing party, the mind boggles.

The Irish Tories would be FG and a smidgen less FF, same poitical ideology

Depp wrote: »
    now whats a tla?!

Don't know TLA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

The Irish reddit can feel like a refugee camp for all the head-cases, MRA's and closet racists that got banned from boards.

'Boardsies' love touting that line about the vastly superior Reddit.

Probably make you feel nice and safe in your own little corner of the internet. It's simply not true.

that party with the unemployed teacher with the black eye- but they weren't anti-immigration either...

What are you actually talking about ?

I wasnt referring to the man in the pub you bufoon. Read the post in its entirety before you get your guardian reading kickers in a twist.

Nothing wrong with the Guardian, better than the Murdoch (Hillsborough whitewash today) or DOB sponsored propaganda!

• Advertisement

What are you actually talking about ?

The right wing party that ran but got few votes in GE16

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Depp wrote: »
    now whats a tla?!

Three letter acronym.

Now, wtf is a Social Justice Warrior?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

WTF is SJW?

Urban dictionary

Had to lol at one of the descriptions: upper-middle class females with a sexuality you have never heard of before

Three letter acronym.

a moron basically

Three letter acronym.

wouldn't they be initialisms?

The right wing party that ran but got few votes in GE16

What's that got to do with anything? They are a right wing party that run an anti immigration policy.

The main party's FG and Ff are centrist right. I think you will find middle Ireland prioritise the economy and tax before immigration however it is still a concern and the party's policy's reflect this.

Also you are correct the guardian is a better newspaper than the sun, have a medal. Although both are an absolute joke.

Your really quite stupid, I'm going to bed.

What's that got to do with anything? They are a right wing party that run an anti immigration policy.

The main party's FG and Ff are centrist right. I think you will find middle Ireland prioritise the economy and tax before immigration however it is still a concern and the party's policy's reflect this.

BANNED

Also you are correct the guardian is a better newspaper than the sun, have a medal. Although both are an absolute joke.

My really is quite stupid?

The site as a whole? Probably more outnumbered for right wing views. I'd have more conservative views on certain things and it does seem you are going against the tide. Other things I'd be more liberal on, seems easier.

Economically? Centrist/bit to the right or left, easy enough, majority opinion again. Harder to the left or right, tough job.

Looking at it from a mods point of view, people will always allege bias, if it politics or social issues, it's United or Liverpool mods in soccer, Dublin mods in GAA etc. Part of the job.

Me? I'm Unionist, West Brit, SF sympathiser, lefty looney, right wing retard, pro American, Zionist, you name it. Best was on some threads about the guards, I was told via pm I must be a member and in another, establishment pig or simular.

It's part of the initiation ceremony of politics mods, you aren't a real mod until you are a Communist Nazi!

Me? I'm probably as centrist, sit on the fence, splinters on my arse, as you can get. Bit right wing Economically and a bit soft on social issues. An Irish solution to an Irish problem!

Politics general and cafe mods? 2 right wing and 3 left wing AFAIK. The rest? Don't have a clue, never comes up in the mod forums.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Also the fact that you describe the Tories as a straight up right wing party, the mind boggles.

The Irish Tories would be FG and a smidgen less FF, same poitical ideology

Okdokey

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement