Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards aware of the reputation it has across the web?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Urban dictionary

Had to lol at one of the descriptions: upper-middle class females with a sexuality you have never heard of before

TVM. I genuinely did not know.

Not related; just because I have just been educated:

Why are SJWs in this thread? Or even mentioned?

Is it because it is a TTJ scenario? Talk to Joe, Joe.

Can we get back to Taste? i.e. On The Boards

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Have you not sort of proven his point there? Basically dismissing his entire point with your 'lad at the pub' anecdote. Do you really think by 'silent majority' he meant that racist auld lad in the pub?

Right, we just had a general election. What did the silent majority say?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

This thread just made me realise...why do I bother with Boards?...

...good night and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This gave me a laugh, from PROC - Langer forum on a thread about Boards.
    "I feel for the poor mods. What are they supposed to do?
    Walking into pubs and telling the lads at the bar they're not allowed talk about football as there's a dedicated pub for that around the corner."

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Esel wrote: »
    TVM. I genuinely did not know.

Not related; just because I have just been educated:

Why are SJWs in this thread? Or even mentioned?

Is it because it is a TTJ scenario? Talk to Joe, Joe.

Can we get back to Taste? i.e. On The Boards

Done and done.

• Advertisement

This gave me a laugh, from PROC - Langer forum on a thread about Boards.
    "I feel for the poor mods. What are they supposed to do?
    Walking into pubs and telling the lads at the bar they're not allowed talk about football as there's a dedicated pub for that around the corner."

Now you're trying to FLA me.

Who is sueing (sp?) who at this stage of the game?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

K-9 wrote: »
    Right, we just had a general election. What did the silent majority say?

Once again I'll ask you, by silent majority do you think he means racist old men who frequent pubs? Or just racists in general? Because that's what you implied and I didn't get the impression that's who he's referring to.

I appreciate that being a mod is stressful and you will always be accused of bias, it's nothing personal and I've never personally had issues with far left moderators, it's just the general feeling I get on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Once again I'll ask you, by silent majority do you think he means racist old men who frequent pubs? Or just racists in general? Because that's what you implied and I didn't get the impression that's who he's referring to.

I appreciate that being a mod is stressful and you will always be accused of bias, it's nothing personal and I've never personally had issues with far left moderators, it's just the general feeling I get on boards.

this thread is for slagging mods not each other! ANARCHY

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Done and done.

What's Going On? Can you correct my vision? Help in my decision?

Brilliant. Ta. Or Cha and Myo.

No, really, thank you for getting it.

I saw Nine Below Zero back in the day.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This thread just made me realise...why do I bother with Boards?...

...good night and good luck.

We'll done. You managed to bother with it for a whole 42 posts!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Silent majority means whatever one wants it to mean. The silent majority didn't want same sex marriage apparently, also anti-immigration.

So, until those who call themselves the silent majority actually tell us what it means, nobody has a clue, it's just voices in my head tell me....

So as I asked, how did the silent majority vote in the election? They're silent, we can never know!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

"Now, I'm thinking
    The ship is sinking
    Do I have the right
    To throw my life away?"

Not sure if that is a direct quote, but anyway...

"Bein' Angry" - Nils Lofgren - is a full time job.

"Trouble's Back"

So many funerals, so few votes - someone should try to put a tune to that.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Silent majority means whatever one wants it to mean. The silent majority didn't want same sex marriage apparently, also anti-immigration.

So, until those who call themselves the silent majority actually tell us what it means, nobody has a clue, it's just voices in my head tell me....

So as I asked, how did the silent majority vote in the election? They're silent, we can never know!

The silent majority is all those people who agree with me when I have a minority view. One day we'll all get together and rise up. We just don't know who we are meeting up with due to being silent.

I love it when threads go way OT but no-one threatens to kill anyone, or makes non-PC comments. Then, the mods can just snore on.

Don't poke the beast in the corner.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Op's last comment 'On Boards if you make a comment others don't like you get banned. ' then he gets banned????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For the record, I banned the OP as he was a serial re-reg. Nothing to do with this thread, ironically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Politics general and cafe mods? 2 right wing and 3 left wing AFAIK. The rest? Don't have a clue, never comes up in the mod forums.
    One thing I don't get there, is why mods with an obvious political/economic leaning/bias get chosen - is it to achieve some kind of 'balance' ala the balance fallacy? If so, that's a really terrible way to choose mods.

Things like conflicts of interest and bias should be considered when selecting mods, so that the more egregious examples (including e.g. think-tank/party/business-lobby members) get excluded from moderation, due to the potential for bias affecting mod decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The manic PC bent on Boards has been going on for years. I recall an AH thread several years ago about mutilation of horses in Waterford where a mod banned several posters for saying (in a non-inflammatory manner) that Travellers were responsible - despite the Gardaí having already confirmed it in the national media!
    It was appealed and nothing was done.

The Graham Dwyer case last year was an example of Boards' ridiculous fear of being sued: comment on the case after the guilty verdict was banned (in comparison to, well, every other site) in case it influenced the sentencing - despite the fact the sentence was automatically life as he was found guilty of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I just lost the ability to post in Politics Cafe for some reason. No message received in my inbox.

Can still post elsewhere, so I'm presumably just another victim of overzealous, cowardly modding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The manic PC bent on Boards has been going on for years. I recall an AH thread several years ago about mutilation of horses in Waterford where a mod banned several posters for saying (in a non-inflammatory manner) that Travellers were responsible - despite the Gardaí having already confirmed it in the national media!
    It was appealed and nothing was done.
    I remember that and similar and yes I agree it was over zealous and that's being kind. Now I can fully understand how threads like that can go down and go down badly, but stating actual facts and being taken to task for it is a bit silly.
    The Graham Dwyer case last year was an example of Boards' ridiculous fear of being sued: comment on the case after the guilty verdict was banned (in comparison to, well, every other site) in case it influenced the sentencing - despite the fact the sentence was automatically life as he was found guilty of murder.
    TBH I can understand Board's fears over lawsuits. Irelands laws can be a right PITA when it comes to this sort of thing and even if Boards wins the costs involved are still frightening. Plus Boards would be seen as an easier mark. Ambulance chaser wants to go after Reddit? Good luck with that, but Boards being "local" leaves them far more vulnerable.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I just lost the ability to post in Politics Cafe for some reason. No message received in my inbox.

Can still post elsewhere, so I'm presumably just another victim of overzealous modding.

You have no active bans, and there's nothing to stop you posting in there, yet you've jumped to false conclusion and made a baseless accusation.

Edit: bah, they've closed the politics cafe entire, so this was a technical thing.

Can still post elsewhere, so I'm presumably just another victim of overzealous, cowardly modding.

There is an announcement at the top of the forum - the Politics Café is being temporarily closed for posting, and will reopen shortly. Keep an eye on the Announcements thread for more information.

No overzealous, cowardly modding applied to you I'm afraid. Sorry to disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

dudara wrote: »
    There is an announcement at the top of the forum - the Politics Café is being temporarily closed for posting, and will reopen shortly. Keep an eye on the Announcements thread for more information.

No overzealous, cowardly modding applied to you.

My mistake, apologies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

On Boards if you make a comment others don't like you get banned.

I must be more polite then I realised so!
    I was late to this boards forum thing. I only created an account because I wanted to buy a guitar. I still can't play it properly! Only started using it more in the last couple of years.
    I think the forums are very useful if you have questions about anything and need niche information.
    I have found the mods very fair on it. They also engage with the users which is great.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Don't worry about it, I got a one week ban from personal issues eight years ago and it's still in effect.

Wood wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, I got a one week ban from personal issues eight years ago and it's still in effect.

If you want us to look into that, you can PM myself of one of the other PI mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH I can understand Board's fears over lawsuits. Irelands laws can be a right PITA when it comes to this sort of thing and even if Boards wins the costs involved are still frightening. Plus Boards would be seen as an easier mark. Ambulance chaser wants to go after Reddit? Good luck with that, but Boards being "local" leaves them far more vulnerable.
    Is it a case of potentially unlimited costs being incurred on Boards? What is the legal situation there?

If it's not an unlimited amount of money, it would be good to see if it were possible to have a fund or funded organization of some kind, that would allow Boards to tell people sending legal threats - and thus stifling free discussion on the site - to go stuff themselves.

It would be good if, whenever there is a legal threat that suppresses free discussion, that Boards publicly announces the full details of the legal threat (e.g. in an announcement across the site), even the letter itself is that's possible, which causes a kind of 'streisand effect' type response - so that it ultimately causes more publicity and backfires on the person/group making the legal threat - a bit like what newspapers do when they receive an injunction on a story.

The recent closure of the DOB Politics Cafe thread had me thinking of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

nah..They've just sh*t the bed in politics again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Bambi wrote: »
    nah..They've just sh*t the bed in politics again. :)

I think it's somewhat more than a "Tech" issue....?
    To all of the Cafe regulars - we're closing the forum for the moment.

Updates will be incoming, please check back for an update in a few days.
    In the meantime please do not create new threads on Feedback or the Help Desk asking about this action, instead please check regularly here for updates.

Thanks
    Admin, Cmod and Mod teams.

If it is shytt,then it must be DEEP shytt....the suspense is killin.....:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement