Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I have been looking at the logs here and a few questions. Just wondering what's the motivation from those here who use logs? Is it to keep you motivated? To gain advice? Or something else? Also do you find logging here benifits you? I assume it does or it wouldn't be done. Are most who log here involved in clubs or independents and if you are involved with a club can the advice you gain here go against what your coach is telling you?

Personally use mine as a reference to the past though I have picked up some solid advice through it. I run in a club and am coached as well but really when you have a coach, there has to be some level of input from both sides, it's not a one way street as a coach teach you everything and can't tell you how you are going to feel down the road, Somethings, you have to learn for yourself and a coach needs insight from you as much as you do from them to really nail down training and I find a public log useful for that, I find I'm more descriptive here than I am with my paper log and that's extremely useful to read back on.

I started logging first because I was fairly green with regards training and made a lot of mistakes which I still do and no doubt will in future but a resource like a personal log can be really useful for spotting areas that need improvement and times when I'm starting to repeat mistakes I've already made in the past. It was also a really valuable tool in helping me gain a better understanding of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The Officer

I have been looking at the logs here and a few questions. Just wondering what's the motivation from those here who use logs? Is it to keep you motivated? To gain advice? Or something else? Also do you find logging here benifits you? I assume it does or it wouldn't be done. Are most who log here involved in clubs or independents and if you are involved with a club can the advice you gain here go against what your coach is telling you?

Logging my runs was of benefit to me at the time... It was like an honesty box. I got lots of help from people who were more experienced than me but thankfully I had the advice of a very good runner who knew what he was talking about and helped me improve. I would have done a lot better if I'd had the motivation to take it more seriously. I rarely post now but browsing now and again it seems everyone has become an expert and I see people getting advice that would seem counter-intuitive to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I started a log principally to have a more detailed record of my running history than I was deriving from the bald statistics of my Garmin Connect. It has been really helpful in that regard, and as a bonus there is the occasional feedback from fellow runners, which is always welcome, regardless of its nature. Good honest well-intentioned criticism is of more value in the long run than plaudits and backslaps, lovely though they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

davedanon wrote: »
    I started a log principally to have a more detailed record of my running history than I was deriving from the bald statistics of my Garmin Connect. It has been really helpful in that regard, and as a bonus there is the occasional feedback from fellow runners, which is always welcome, regardless of its nature. Good honest well-intentioned criticism is of more value in the long run than plaudits and backslaps, lovely though they are.

Ah Dave sure you're a sh1te runner :)

TbL

Edit just to point out I'm joking in case it wasn't obvious!! Don't want to be sent off

everyone has become an expert and I see people getting advice that would seem counter-intuitive to me.

Was there ever a time on the internet where that wasn't the case?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The Officer

El Caballo wrote: »
    Was there ever a time on the internet where that wasn't the case?:)

Good point :) Maybe I'm becoming that person who thinks everything was better in the old days!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I log because it helps me reflect on the training and provides a record that I can go back over if I'm doing a particular type of session, run, or race. Try to get better, learn from the mistakes. I like the interaction with other runners/posters and the advice and encouragement on offer. Small things can be so helpful - I'm in a club, but it's a big club, and people sometimes overestimate the amount of coaching you get in a big club if you're a mid-pack aul lad like myself. This forum is terrific for informal coaching and advice, especially around marathon training. I read other logs and pick up tips and ideas, and I hope mine can be useful to others on the same journey, or at different stages of their progression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Is it just me, or have some posts been deleted from this thread?

Could be encroaching senility, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mathso

I think it's called censorship , I posted a very innocent piece today and was accused of being a troll , if they don't like what you say , you're a troll!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I just bought an entry to the 2017 Paris Marathon. Am I definitely in the race or are their further requirements to meet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Starting a 5k program this week. The long runs are all 75 mins. I'd usually be running between 80-120 mins each week and am reluctant to drop this too much.
    My question is-
    Is it counterproductive to do bigger long runs when training for shorter races?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

sideswipe wrote: »
    Starting a 5k program this week. The long runs are all 75 mins. I'd usually be running between 80-120 mins each week and am reluctant to drop this too much.
    My question is-

How does this stack up with your overall weekly mileage?

How does this stack up with your overall weekly mileage?

Hi Myles, I'd average 50 miles a week year round, peaking at 70 mpw for marathon training. I've decided to try and ignore the marathon distance this year until I train for and pb over every distance from 5k up and try to bring some speed forward into my next marathon attempt (3:12 pb)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

My question is-

If you can do a longer long run while still hitting the sessions in the plan at the appropriate level then there's no reason why not although it may be worth considering whether the plan is at the right level for you if you're looking for ways to make it harder.

Clearlier wrote: »
    If you can do a longer long run while still hitting the sessions in the plan at the appropriate level then there's no reason why not although it may be worth considering whether the plan is at the right level for you if you're looking for ways to make it harder.

Good point.
    Truth is i'm not sure. I have already followed a 45-55 mile 5k plan from Pfitzingers "Faster Road Running" book. I extended some of the long runs in that plan. It went well and I ducked under 19 mins for the first time during a tune up 5k but got sick before the goal race and missed 10 days or so. I have got one recovery week - 40 miles with one session 4x5min tempo, and feel i'm recovered. So I've decided to do a 6 week sub 18 5k plan to see where it takes me and find out how much the illness took away from my fitness.
    Before this year i'd never really trained for any shorter distances, I find myself comparing everything to marathon training and so I get a little anxious if the long run or weekly milage is low, I suppose I need to concentrate of quality over quantity if I want to build speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Good point.
    Truth is i'm not sure. I have already followed a 45-55 mile 5k plan from Pfitzingers "Faster Road Running" book. I extended some of the long runs in that plan. It went well and I ducked under 19 mins for the first time during a tune up 5k but got sick before the goal race and missed 10 days or so. I have got one recovery week - 40 miles with one session 4x5min tempo, and feel i'm recovered. So I've decided to do a 6 week sub 18 5k plan to see where it takes me and find out how much the illness took away from my fitness.
    Before this year i'd never really trained for any shorter distances, I find myself comparing everything to marathon training and so I get a little anxious if the long run or weekly milage is low, I suppose I need to concentrate of quality over quantity if I want to build speed?

There's always a balance that needs to be struck between speed and endurance. The plan that you've linked to will certainly address any speed deficiencies you might have with three sessions a week and all of them faster than race pace. I wouldn't suggest elongating the long run on it though. You'll have more than enough to do just recovering from the sessions.

It should complement quite well what you've done with marathon training followed by P&D 5k training. I wouldn't follow this because my body isn't capable of handling three sessions like that a week but if it were I'd be interested to see how I responded to it. 6 weeks of this would be plenty though. If you respond well to the training then you should take another nice chunk off of your PB but I'd emphasise recovery as much as possible and I'd listen carefully to your body in case you need to back off. Get one or two races off it and then change back to something that covers a few more bases - any of P&D's plans would work for that. You could take your extra speed and bring it back up the distance ladder to get a few more PB's before heading back into another base phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Good point.

I would take a leap of faith and do the plan as is.
    Focus fully on the 5k training.
    If you really find the long run easy you could do the last 5-10 minutes faster. Or throw in 6 x 30s @ 5k pace towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

I'm running the Wexford Half tomorrow and half a question re pacers. I would like to do a sub 1:50 and undecided if I should go out with the 1:45 and fall back a bit or do what I did last year on my first ever Half start with the 2:00 pacers and kick on halfway through??

I'm running the Wexford Half tomorrow and half a question re pacers. I would like to do a sub 1:50 and undecided if I should go out with the 1:45 and fall back a bit or do what I did last year on my first ever Half start with the 2:00 pacers and kick on halfway through??

How did your strategy work last year?
    Is your fitness similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You should do neither. Why not go and run an evenly paced 1.49 without the pacers? I certainly wouldn't let the convenience of pace groups skew my pace to the levels suggested above.

• Advertisement

My fitness should be same or hopefully better than last time. Did the Dublin Half and DCM last year and have completed a harder training plan Inc speed work that I didn't do last year.
    Not sure I'd be able to successful pace myself to come in at 1:49 so that's why I was wondering if I should go out with one of these pacers.
    I know the 1:45 might be a bit of a risk so maybe just get in between them??

My fitness should be same or hopefully better than last time. Did the Dublin Half and DCM last year and have completed a harder training plan Inc speed work that I didn't do last week.
    Not sure I'd be able to successful pace myself to come in at 1:49 so that's why I was wondering if I should go out with one of these pacers.
    I know the 1:45 might be a bit of a risk so maybe just get in between them??

Its critical not to go out too fast. I'd run the first 2 even 3 miles with the 1:50 group. It takes a while to get into a race so use the group for that. If you're fitter you will start to feel that youre holding back a little to stay with this group. Don't hold back at this point. Cast them adrift. Forget about them. Let them float away behind. Do not accelerate or 'push on'. Just run this neutral feeling pace. Be patient keep it going through halfway. Keep it going after. With a bit of luck youll see the 1:45 group with a few miles left. That's your target. Reel them in slowly. Try and time it so that youll just pass them before the finish. May not happen but try your best.
    If youre happy with that, visualise your plan tonight. Imagine yourself progressing through all the stages of the race. If the race is going to plan the feedback will make you feel even more positive knowing your predictions are coming true.

The critical part in these races is pacing. If you get the first 3 miles right, if you cut them adrift rather than pushing on then you should have a good one. Focus on executing this critical early part of the run correctly.

Thanks demfad
    They just have a 2:00 and 1:45 pacers so I think I'll take your advice and position myself in the middle, run my own race for the first 3 miles (it's a bit of on incline anyway) and then see how it's going and hopefully there should be a few around me with the same plan that I can pace off :)

Thanks demfad
    They just have a 2:00 and 1:45 pacers so I think I'll take your advice and position myself in the middle, run my own race for the first 3 miles (it's a bit of on incline anyway) and then see how it's going and hopefully there should be a few around me with the same plan that I can pace off :)

Be conservative for the first 3. And remember to ask people around you their targets. If there isn't a suitable group you can create one yourself :)

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Question: this might be in the wrong place so mods feel free to move it.

im a new runner, smashed my PB for 5km yeaterday at the Great Railway Run 31 minutes: 57 seconds, im still 13 odd stone after losing 6 stone and feel great after it however: i am literally on fire, my face like.

I am always red faced after i exercise for a while after, my mom is the same and it goes down after an hour or so, longer if i have a hot shower or bath after.

today im not red faced but still roasting, my body is fine, warm but fine, i dont have a temperature, but feel like ive been sunburnt or wind burnt but there was no sun or wind really that would do that to me and im pretty sallow skinned,

ive read about thermogenic states etc but surly is not that:

does anyone else get this or am I just defective?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Carb loading for Half Marathon

Is there any merit to it? My opinion is that you should be completely fine to race a half without loading up on carbs.

I was recently talking to a few people who would dramatically up their carb intake in the days leading up to a half marathon. Some of these would be inclined to take 1 or 2 gels throughout the race. I know everyone is different but surely this is too much? All of these would be capable of finishing under 2 hours so it's not as if they are out running for half the day.

I'm a porridge and coffee 2 hours before I head off person. How do people here prepare for their half marathons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Is there any merit to it? My opinion is that you should be completely fine to race a half without loading up on carbs.

I was recently talking to a few people who would dramatically up their carb intake in the days leading up to a half marathon. Some of these would be inclined to take 1 or 2 gels throughout the race. I know everyone is different but surely this is too much? All of these would be capable of finishing under 2 hours so it's not as if they are out running for half the day.

I'm a porridge and coffee 2 hours before I head off person. How do people here prepare for their half marathons?

Runners differ. I see no harm in taking a gel at the start (kicks in a bit later) and maybe at mile 10...just to top up the energy levels. Certainly it's possible to run without, and I'd run 20k in training with no gels...but on the day, if your stomach can cope, where's the harm? I took 2 gels, as above, at this year's Conn Half, and had a much easier time of it than expected, despite the manky weather and brisk-enough pace (1.30.05). Was that the gels? Who knows, but I don't think they hurt.

Of course, you need to be sure that your stomach tolerates them...lots of horror stories out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Question: this might be in the wrong place so mods feel free to move it.

im a new runner, smashed my PB for 5km yeaterday at the Great Railway Run 31 minutes: 57 seconds, im still 13 odd stone after losing 6 stone and feel great after it however: i am literally on fire, my face like.

I am always red faced after i exercise for a while after, my mom is the same and it goes down after an hour or so, longer if i have a hot shower or bath after.

today im not red faced but still roasting, my body is fine, warm but fine, i dont have a temperature, but feel like ive been sunburnt or wind burnt but there was no sun or wind really that would do that to me and im pretty sallow skinned,

ive read about thermogenic states etc but surly is not that:

does anyone else get this or am I just defective?

Was it a warm day? I'm always really red after running in the heat - every winter I think 'Oh, I'm getting so fit, I'm not all red and mad looking after a race', then come the first warm days of the year, I have a big red face again.

I never stop carb-loading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

My opinion is that you shouldn't need to. Glycogen depletion is generally thought to become a factor after two hours or so of carb burning, so if you're going to be finishing under that time it shouldn't be an actual physical issue, I would have thought.

Of course phychological effects are another thing entirely. It's more than possible that your friends are getting a phycological benifit from using the gels even if it isn't making any physical difference in reality. But that can be turned on its head too, in that having a phycoligical dependancy thinking that you need gels to get your maximum performance is introducing an unneccesary vulnerability. What if you forget the gels? What if you loose your gels mid-race? What if something turns up which mean you don't get to carb-load as planned? All irrelevant if you know you don't need any of that in the first place.

Advertisement