Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I ran 3k on Saturday with the aim of doing the distance rather than do it fast. Today I upped the pace and I couldn't do it. How can I overcome this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Gael23 wrote: »
    I ran 3k on Saturday with the aim of doing the distance rather than do it fast. Today I upped the pace and I couldn't do it. How can I overcome this?

Run further, regularly and run fast for short distances, occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

10 words of great advice and accurately describing pretty much every running plan :)

Reminded me of "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sort of like a walk/run/walk kind of thing? As part of a steady pcce run I ramp it up for a short distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Gael23 wrote: »
    Sort of like a walk/run/walk kind of thing? As part of a steady pcce run I ramp it up for a short distance.

The gist of it would be that if you can already run 3k, you should do that a few times a week. It will get easier, and you can increase the distance gradually.

Then maybe once a week you should do something a bit harder. That can be intervals where you sprint and recover, or a longer run where you do the middle bit at a faster pace, or running up hills.

That's the bones of most distance running training plans; assuming distance running is the goal and you don't want to train specifically for 3k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Where is SamforMayo????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oh yeah -
    Last Activity: 03-08-2015 19:02

Thanks detective Quinn. I knew you somebody would pick up my slack ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Anyone got suggestions for a really deep calf and psoas stretch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

So I'm thinking of signing up for a half marathon later in the year somewhere in Europe and combining it with a holiday / week away. How would you divide your time - go over the week before the run & do sightseeing first, have the run in the middle or sightseeing / holiday the week after the run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

mel.b wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of signing up for a half marathon later in the year somewhere in Europe and combining it with a holiday / week away. How would you divide your time - go over the week before the run & do sightseeing first, have the run in the middle or sightseeing / holiday the week after the run?

Oh holidaysssssssssssss.

If you are well trained for the HM you won't be a complete wreck after it and still be mobile. It's all in the training so it shouldn't take over your full holiday as a result. Find a location and race and book away and you'll be fine to enjoy the break and race.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Anyone got suggestions for a really deep calf and psoas stretch?

Calf: the usual lean against the wall and stretch the rear leg but make sure to keep your weight on the forward/bent knee. Do a few of these on each leg and then bend the rear knee too, extending the stretch into the soleus.

Heel drops are quite deep too, aren't they?

Psoas:
    Genuflect and holding your bum and tum tight lean forward and 'pulse'/gently rock.
    You can deepen the stretch by wrapping the mid or upper part of your leg in rubber (see my log :) )

Hope that helps, you may be familiar with these and want something deeper?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Has anyone been on the Deise greenway yet in Waterford? I plan to be down there in July and am hoping to take in some of it on long runs. It looks amazing...

http://www.deisegreenway.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Has anyone been on the Deise greenway yet in Waterford? I plan to be down there in July and am hoping to take in some of it on long runs. It looks amazing...

My mother keeps raving about how lovely it is/will be once completed (I think there is a phased approach to finishing it). She would be at the Waterford City end of it, rather than Dungarvan. Haven't been myself but might be there this weekend, will report back.

spaceylou wrote: »
    My mother keeps raving about how lovely it is/will be once completed (I think there is a phased approach to finishing it). She would be at the Waterford City end of it, rather than Dungarvan. Haven't been myself but might be there this weekend, will report back.

We will be based in Dumore East for two weeks, so am hoping to access it from Waterford city side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We will be based in Dumore East for two weeks, so am hoping to access it from Waterford city side.

This is a local place for local people.

You and your type are not welcome.

Oh there are some lovely spots to run around dunmore... Great spot, even if I am a little biased!

Gavlor wrote: »
    This is a local place for local people.

You and your type are not welcome.

ah heyor!!!:eek:;)

spaceylou wrote: »
    Oh there are some lovely spots to run around dunmore... Great spot, even if I am a little biased!

it is, the cliff run in particular out to portally cove and beyond.

• Advertisement

it is, the cliff run in particular out to portally cove and beyond.

Have you been up the comeraghs yet?

Loads of different walks for all the family including this one....

http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/coumshingaun-loop-walk-comeraghs-waterford/

Gavlor wrote: »
    Have you been up the comeraghs yet?

Loads of different walks for all the family including this one....

http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/coumshingaun-loop-walk-comeraghs-waterford/
    No, but after checking that link, it will be on the list. Although I'll be leaving the family at the beach ;) .... looks spectacular and a hefty climb included.

No, but after checking that link, it will be on the list. Although I'll be leaving the family at the beach ;) .... looks spectacular and a hefty climb included.

There is an easier route also, well worth the trip. Check out Mahon falls while you're there.

Just don't tell any of your jackeen friends about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've got a 10mile race on Sunday next week. Trying to plan tomorrow's run. Is 13km ok, or should it be a bit shorter. Last week was only 9km (did 10km race the day before), week before 15km long run, 15km week before that, 12km week before that. This week I have only done 8km Tues night, 1.5km Fri night (don't ask), 5.5km tonight. Next week plan to do two short runs around 5km Tues & Thurs before the 10mile on Sunday. So is the 13km ok or would a bit shorter be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mel.b wrote: »
    I've got a 10mile race on Sunday next week. Trying to plan tomorrow's run. Is 13km ok, or should it be a bit shorter. Last week was only 9km (did 10km race the day before), week before 15km long run, 15km week before that, 12km week before that. This week I have only done 8km Tues night, 1.5km Fri night (don't ask), 5.5km tonight. Next week plan to do two short runs around 5km Tues & Thurs before the 10mile on Sunday. So is the 13km ok or would a bit shorter be better?
    If you have no niggles or injury-related concerns, your plan sounds absolutely fine.

http://www.deisegreenway.com/

Walked there today from City end to Kilmeaden (about 10k). It is not finished at the moment and not sure of expected finish date. The surface is mostly tarmac path and switches to kinda compacted gravel in spots. If you were going the whole way to Kilmeaden there are one or two spots where you have to get on the tracks - don't worry only train using it is a tourist thingy for kids that goes really slow and runs maybe once an hour, although I guess when its finished, that will no longer be the case, (or at least I bloody well hope so). To be honest, there are some far nicer trails and pathways around Waterford but on a clearer day than today the river would look lovely and wouldn't be a bad spot if you are engaging in running tourism. If you wanted to loop you could exit the greenway near Mt Congreve nursery and run back on the roads to your car, although the nicer views are actually after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I have been looking at the logs here and a few questions. Just wondering what's the motivation from those here who use logs? Is it to keep you motivated? To gain advice? Or something else? Also do you find logging here benifits you? I assume it does or it wouldn't be done. Are most who log here involved in clubs or independents and if you are involved with a club can the advice you gain here go against what your coach is telling you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

I have been looking at the logs here and a few questions. Just wondering what's the motivation from those here who use logs? Is it to keep you motivated? To gain advice? Or something else? Also do you find logging here benifits you? I assume it does or it wouldn't be done. Are most who log here involved in clubs or independents and if you are involved with a club can the advice you gain here go against what your coach is telling you?

Personally when I started logging it was to be held accountable. It was a time when my club training group were going separate wasy (scholarships/ quiting the sport) and I had done the odd runs with boardsies. Got some good advice in hindsight but thought I knew it all and argued to the hilt and continued to make mistakes but eventually learned from them and grew as a runner.

More recently since I came back though there is very little interaction and I am not really in need of being kept honest so it is very much simply a diary to go along with my strava stats. The figures can tell you one thing but the description gives just a bit more feedback.

In terms of the coaching aspect was mostly self coached throughout my log but when I did have a coach I had faith in him based off his own performances but also the improvements I saw in my own performance both short and long term. Didn't get too much contrary advice but he was always willing to take on board advice and discuss it with me and was not afraid to change things if we felt it wasn't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Personally - motivation is the main benefit for me, also the advice here is pretty dam good with experienced runners happy to help those just starting out (and their piers) when people see your training in black & white the can comment with authority. I'm in a club but unless a clubmate or coach is on boards they don't know what training I do outside the club. Its the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Motivation for me & also to see why the gaps happened. Looking back on a paper based log (simply a list/distance/time) I could never remember why I had missed runs although I might have had a good reason at the time. That said, I've been sporadic. I abandoned it for a while in favour of Strava but saw Myles quoted elsewhere about the benefits of logging & it made sense so I'm back (for now anyway). Not in a club or coached (wouldn't approach anyone as I'm easily distracted by family commitments etc :o )

Advertisement