Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Wow, didn't think it deviated that much. So my best bet is to empty the tank at a 5k and read my max HR off that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

28064212 wrote: »
    Ignore that. There's lots of ways of getting a real (albeit approximate) max HR, the simplest being wearing your monitor in a max-effort 5k with a strong finish. 220-age is meaningless

...and strong finish meaning that you are on the verge of throwing up, not that you get a bit out of breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Wow, didn't think it deviated that much. So my best bet is to empty the tank at a 5k and read my max HR off that?
    Not necessarily "best", but simple. There are lots of methods out there, best would probably involve a lab test, but a hard finish in a 5k is unlikely to be more than a couple of beats out

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

28064212 wrote: »
    Not necessarily "best", but simple. There are lots of methods out there, best would probably involve a lab test, but a hard finish in a 5k is unlikely to be more than a couple of beats out

Add one beat if you are able to take the finish token barcode without throwing up on the volunteer, add another beat if you actually managed to press the stop button on your Garmin. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This has me wondering, how accurate are people finding the Garmin predicted race times?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I will be in Glengarriff for a few nights next week and was wondering if anyone could suggest some nice routes for some running. Short loops are good either :)
    thanks!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This has me wondering, how accurate are people finding the Garmin predicted race times?

The predicted times on my Garmin are pretty accurate for each distance, except for the marathon. But that is because I'm lazy and don't do enough training for marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Only a subset of Garmin watches include this feature (those with the HRM strap with the extra analytics (HRM-run etc.)). For me, it's way off the mark, but so, I suspect is my VO2max (which is the variable used to predict race results). For example as soon as I complete a track session wearing the HRM, my Vo2max goes up a couple of notches and my predicted race times improve massively. This is partially down to the fact that on the track the Garmin is measuring long, but also due to the fact that my watch believes I can run an entire race with heart rate maxed out. I ran a road 5k recently in 15:52, and immediately afterwards, my Garmin predicted that I could run a 5k in 15:14. I think my watch is trying to tell me that I don't work hard enough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I might have to put it to the test, apart from marathon distance as I'm like robinph. At the moment it's telling me I'll do 5k in 19min something, which is a challenge I'd find it hard to resist attempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭aero2k

Ososlo wrote: »
    I will be in Glengarriff for a few nights next week and was wondering if anyone could suggest some nice routes for some running. Short loops are good either :)
    thanks!

That post gave me a vision of one of those little painted roundabouts and you flying round and round:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What is the ideal pace for a tempo run??

Is it specific to the discipline that one might be training for or is there a generic one size fits all regardless of the target distance.

Eg. If I'm planning on a sub 80 half my hmp would be in around 6 min miles. By default, My marathon MP should be around 6.30 min miles. So is my tempo somewhere between or somewhere faster than hmp???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Gavlor wrote: »

Is it specific to the discipline that one might be training for or is there a generic one size fits all regardless of the target distance.

Eg. If I'm planning on a sub 80 half my hmp would be in around 6 min miles. By default, My marathon MP should be around 6.30 min miles. So is my tempo somewhere between or somewhere faster than hmp???

Isn't there a definition that says, the pace you could run at for an hour? Not much faster than your HM pace I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

It depends on the type of tempo you are doing

As mentioned the general understanding of tempo refers to Lactate Threshold which is the race pace you can hold for an hour however on any given day cumulative fatigue, course profile, weather conditions (and so on) can play an impact which can slightly slow this pace to closer to HM pace.

As calculators go this isn't the worst one for paces

http://www.runningprs.com/runnerscalculator.htm

Implementing the pace in relation to sessions I would advise the following

Threshold - 15-20 minute quicker tempo (or cruise intervals)
    Tempo - 25-35 min straight tempo run
    Moderate (Marathon pace) - Longer tempos- 45 min to 1 hour

All have there place personally I am using alot more of the first at the moment as I get closer to race specific work for 10k however over winter was using the last two alot more.

Another one which I found pretty accurate for anyone with reasonable aerobic fitness is 5k pace + 25 seconds per mile as a general guide if you have raced a shorter distance recently rather than trying to base it on target times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Can depend on how long the tempo is and the purpose of the session, so it could in theory be anywhere along the 10M pace to Marathon pace spectrum.
    If it's aimed at threshold for you coming back I would aim for about HM pace for 30mins or a split session 2 x 20, as the fitness comes back move down to 10M pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thanks lads.....

I may need to re-asses my current hmp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

I'm gradually increasing the distance that I run every second week. For example - 11k, then two weeks later, 12k.
    Will continuing to do so, improve my distance over a shorter distance, say 5k, due to my improved stamina.
    Bear in mind that in a scenario such as this, I would run a kilometer or two to ensure I was warmed up fully before doing the 5k that I would be hoping is improving.
    I'm not doing any training for a 5k, just trying to continually build up my distance, but was curious on the matter.

Or is my logic on this flawed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    I'm gradually increasing the distance that I run every second week. For example - 11k, then two weeks later, 12k.
    Will continuing to do so, improve my distance over a shorter distance, say 5k, due to my improved stamina.
    Bear in mind that in a scenario such as this, I would run a kilometer or two to ensure I was warmed up fully before doing the 5k that I would be hoping is improving.
    I'm not doing any training for a 5k, just trying to continually build up my distance, but was curious on the matter.

Or is my logic on this flawed?

Most runners would probably say your logic isn't flawed. Getting used to running longer distances, time on your feet, mental strength and so on should all help when it comes to running the shorter distance in a race.

It goes without saying that a bit of speed work, specific 5k workouts added to going a bit further in one run would have more effect again.

robinph wrote: »
    The predicted times on my Garmin are pretty accurate for each distance, except for the marathon. But that is because I'm lazy and don't do enough training for marathons.

I now retract that statement.

After today's race all of my predictions are way off. This could be down to it getting confused between the effort that I put in for a 5km one week, but then run several minutes quicker the following week for no apparent difference as far as the Garmin is concerned. It doesn't know that I'm pushing a buggy one week and not the next, but today's non-buggy 20 miles race seems to have properly screwed up its calculations and it now thinks I should be running over 20 minutes quicker for the marathon!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

How far out from a goal marathon is safe to get a last rub down from a Physio? Few days or would you need to give yourself a clear week?

tang1 wrote: »
    How far out from a goal marathon is safe to get a last rub down from a Physio? Few days or would you need to give yourself a clear week?

I think I've been as close as 4 days. Never had any problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Why would there be a problem any day you got it??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What we do for tempo is the following.

Pick your starting location, run for 15-20 mins, turn around and run back the same route for the same amount of time. You should finish where you started from, if your short you went out too hard, if you run by it, you went out too easy.

You will eventually get the ideal pace!

I'd usually be a bit tender for a day or two after a massage - no point taking unnecessary risks before a marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

tang1 wrote: »

You can get a treatment right up to the start of the race (I had a guy on the plinth 10 min before his race and went out and secured World Championship Qualifying time and came back into me) however the the treatment needs to be tailored. If you are looking to get deep tissue work done I would recommend it being atleast 72 hours prior to your race (longer if its your first one)

Getting any sort of treatment done can include muscle activation, lengthening of fibers etc meaning that the muscles can be fatigued as a result of deep tissue work to the point where the person can feel lethargic in training/racing on the same day which can negative the wanted outcome for the athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Is there any particular do's and dont's with recovery runs, and recovery after a race in general?

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Is there any particular do's and dont's with recovery runs, and recovery after a race in general?

Just keep it lovely and easy! You could run it on grass if wanted to soften the impact on the joints if you're feeling sore. Stop for a little stretch if you want. Not too long either. 35 mins or so would probably be plenty for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FIFA2004 wrote: »

Yes, keep it abover 9 min mile pace!:pac:

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, keep it abover 9 min mile pace!:pac:

And MOST IMPORTANTLY, don't list to walshb's advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ososlo wrote: »
    And MOST IMPORTANTLY, don't list to walshb's advice :)

Back in 'me' box.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Rowdy Roddy

Make sure to get a good feed in you. listen to folks who race often and with success and take their suggestions.

Advertisement