Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sydnor87

For those worrying whether a score in the low 60's will be good enough I think it will, assuming the PSNI recruits similar numbers to the last campaign.

My friend is starting GV at the end of this month and got a score of 63. I'd imagine a similar score this time round will mean you're comparatively higher up the merit list if you take into account they dropped the pass mark by 5% for this campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Right folks, anyone in low 60's definitely shouldn't worry!!!! In the past 2 campaigns theyve taken candidate with these scores so no panicking ESPECIALLY since they've lowered the overall pass mark.

The way I see it is that there's 2 possibilities for the lower pass mark

1 They didn't have as many candidates pass the previous 60% pass mark and had to lower the current pass mark to get a big enough merit pool to work from or

2 They will take more candidates this C3 and need a bigger merit pool.

Anyone with a score lower than 60% all I can say is don't panic but
    A, don't put all your eggs in 1 basket,
    B, get your finances in order (if they're not they will ask for further vetting to be done and possibly a meeting which will further slow your progress),
    C, when you get the vetting papers fill them out as much as you can for the same reasons as B
    D, get fit!!! Seriously! I can't stress this enough, you want to pass this first time round and avoid having to wait to repeat. You honestly CAN NOT BE TOO FIT for the PCA!!!
    E, most importantly, have patience and faith! You're probably in for a long old wait, I'm starting soon but it was May 2014 when I applied, almost 2 years from application to my start date!!! If it's for you, it won't pass you.

Good luck xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Thank you Mop for saying what needed to be said.

If anyone is concerned with a low 60 or a high 50 score think about those who missed out by a couple of points. Last campaign I missed out by 1% so I'm just happy to still be here :)

Lol you should know by now Homer I'll say what needs to be said.

I'm starting in Hotel GV soon so I'll not be on here just as much but if anyone needs anything drop me a PM and I'll get back to you ASAP.

REMEMBER patience is a virtue and you'll definitely need it for PSNI recruitment. I came so close a few times to getting in in C1 but it didn't happen, I was totally crushed but in hindsight it would have been a nightmare where my family and kids are concerned. I know for sure that it wasn't meant for me in C1 so it's easy for my to say this now and totally believe it, if it's for you it won't pass you! If you don't make it this time, chin up and try again x

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Thankyou Mop, you are a fountain of knowledge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 newfoundglory

If you look through the posts since yesterday, you'll see a few people asked the same thing as you.
    Time frame: No one can tell - from the boards a low 70's score puts you at the higher end of middle, there seems to be quite a lot of high scorers on here.

As for changing your appointment: only in special circumstances are they likely to do this. For a holiday, them granting you another appointment is unlikely. If you really need to change it, let them know as soon as you get your appointment, and they may be able to help you...

HOWEVER - you will not be able to change this again, nor will you have any influence over what date they choose. You really are best sticking with the date they give you.

As it stands, the top scoring squad are unlikely to be admitted before the Autumn (the PSNI are notorious for dragging the recruitment process out)

Thanks for your response :) I'd imagine I'd be safe enough going away for two weeks in June.. I hope lol

Thanks for your response :) I'd imagine I'd be safe enough going away for two weeks in June.. I hope lol

Just to be on the safe side I'd have someone checking your mail while you're away. Last thing you want is vetting papers landing the day you leave and not getting them returned within the the 2 week deadline. You just never know where you are on the merit list and when you'll get them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ChiefWiggum.

Hi all, been lurking for a while now , however this is my fist post ! I passed the AC with a score in the high 70's after a few years of trying , for those who did not pass keep trying and you will get there ! Is it normally a few weeks before candidates will receive any further information after the AC result for invites to the next stages ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

Hi all, been lurking for a while now , however this is my fist post ! I passed the AC with a score in the high 70's after a few years of trying , for those who did not pass keep trying and you will get there ! Is it normally a few weeks before candidates will receive any further information after the AC result for invites to the next stages ? Thanks

Congrats buddy!!

Yeah, now, the details of everyone that has passed are transferred from deloitte to the psni, and they take it from here. In my experience, the recruitment department are very much on top of things, but remembering they have approx 800_900 people to process through the next 5 stages, it takes time.

Chief Wiggum?!? Love it lol!!!!

Honestly depends on how many scored above you and unfortunately there's no way of knowing unless you submit a FOI request. I was low 70's in C1 and I think I was the 2nd batch of vetting papers. Not sure about C2 with all the financial nonsense and the on again off again letters lol!!

Usually the way it works is the first batch get vetting papers to be returned within 2weeks and they'll get an invite to the PCA around that time too. You usually have 6-8 weeks notice about this and generally everything progressed every 5 weeks after that ie PCA, 5 weeks then medical, 5 weeks hopefully a phone call, then 5 weeks until start date.

Please keep in mind that vetting has held up AN AWFUL LOT OF PEOPLE IN C2. Please be as honest and detailed as possible and hopefully that will help you along. My vetting in C1 took over 6 months!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Would it be reasonable to say

Batch 1- 75+
    Batch 2 - 70-75
    Batch 3 - 65+
    Etc?

Probably not considering batches are about 60-80 people.

There really is no point trying to box it off at the minute. You're only going to drive yourself stir crazy. I know it's exciting, and I was the first person to do it as well, BUT.
    And that is a huge but, no one is going to get into garnerville tomorrow. It is a lengthy process, there are hurdles, those hurdles are extremely annoying, and you will get frustrated and stressed. Anything could happen.

The highest rated quality in this game is patience, willing the process to move on will not make it happen any quicker. Trust me, I have been there.

Be excited, yes. But don't let this process take over your life.

There really is no point trying to box it off at the minute. You're only going to drive yourself stir crazy. I know it's exciting, and I was the first person to do it as well, BUT.
    And that is a huge but, no one is going to get into garnerville tomorrow. It is a lengthy process, there are hurdles, those hurdles are extremely annoying, and you will get frustrated and stressed. Anything could happen.

The highest rated quality in this game is patience, willing the process to move on will not make it happen any quicker. Trust me, I have been there.

Be excited, yes. But don't let this process take over your life.

Thanks for this advice! Yous are all brill on here!!

What she said!!!!!! Can not repeat it enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I will say is this. If it were not for this forum I would not be as confident about starting GV soon as I am now.

I only heard about this forum at my medical. It was actually my chaperone who told be about it. Not another candidate, but an actual officer who has been working for the PSNI this year's. When I got home I looked it up immediately.

That was about 6 weeks ago, and I've read every thread at least twice. The advice is invaluable and to have found this forum so early on, yous are very fortunate. I wish I had found it sooner. Reading the posts from Mop a top and Mikeonejuliet and all the rest of them have given me knowledge I never thought I would get before starting, and I don't want to imagine what would happen if I started GV in 5 weeks time without having that knowledge.

I've talked to people on here, and I genuinely think I've made some friends before I've even started. I know we talk some amount of **** on here, but again, it's forging relationships with people you WILL have to depend on once you start training. I view this site as a massive advantage, and not a lot of recruits know about it. We are the lucky few.

Continue your life, stay updated with the boards, chat **** if you want to, but just remember. We're all one big team on here, fighting for the same thing.

Tricky question there. Remember that C2 was out of the ordinary... They had to freeze it in the middle due to financial constraints. However, I think I'm right in saying the top scorers were first put through summertime 2015 ( so say a year to 14 months after initial application.) I am in the group called up to post most recently (I'm in the may 2016 intake) my start date is two years to the day of me applying (which is weird in itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 M Ehrmantraut

Tricky question there. Remember that C2 was out of the ordinary... They had to freeze it in the middle due to financial constraints. However, I think I'm right in saying the top scorers were first put through summertime 2014 ( so say a year to 14 months after initial application.) I am in the group called up to post most recently (I'm in the may 2016 intake) my start date is two years to the day of me applying (which is weird in itself).

Thank you :) Long wait but I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

Did a freedom of information request for how many got 70% and above in C2 (answer is 301) and how many they actually appointed (answer is 353) so seems to be that perhaps everyone close to 70% will get thru this campaign? Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chez123

Did a freedom of information request for how many got 70% and above in C2 (answer is 301) and how many they actually appointed (answer is 353) so seems to be that perhaps everyone close to 70% will get thru this campaign? Maybe?

Has anyone done a FOI for the number of people over 70% in C3?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Drummer64

When was that FOI from? As far as I know C2 is still recruiting so that number can't be accurate can it?

Also the pass mark was lowered by 5% in this one so I would imagine that the 70% in C2 would be the equivalent of 65% in this one.

So going along the same lines they would take the 300 that get over 65% minus the ones that failed medical, PCA, vetting or just drop out... And the rest (minimum of 53 by your figures not including drop outs) from the under 65's.

Then again they may just hire more or less lol

Really is no point in thinking about it too much from what I have read lol

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I'm below 65 lol

Drummer64 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm below 65 lol

I was below 65 for C2 and I've got in. Don't get disheartened!!!

C1 I applied in September 2013 and should have got a call august September 2014 with a score in low 70's
    C2 applied in May 2014 and starting April 2016

Drummer when you're doing your stats don't forget that in C2 AN AWFUL LOT were failing in Vetting or their Vetting was taking a long time as well as those having to repeat their PCA. This meant that PSNI had to progress candidates with a lower AC score to keep the process going. I know I have a lower score than some in the squad after me and it's because I passed my pca first time and my Vetting was cleared quickly due to C1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

My score is below 60 never mind 65 lol

I'm not worried really. I'm happy that i've finally got past AC after multiple attempts over whats going on for 10 years of trying now. Do we definitely know that merit list is only AC score? Theres loads of other hurdles yet. Vetting, PCA medical etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ccfckyle

I'm grateful for all the information posted in this thread. It's great to know others are going through the same process and you are not alone in the stresses of it all.

My brain just can't help speculating, probably like everyone else's. Good luck to everyone.

Mop a top wrote: »
    I was below 65 for C2 and I've got in. Don't get disheartened!!!

C1 I applied in September 2013 and should have got a call august September 2014 with a score in low 70's
    C2 applied in May 2014 and starting April 2016

Mop, I have followed you on this board for about 6 months and you have never stopped being amazingly helpful. Very happy you got in. Thank you and everyone else on here, everyone is always so helpful and informative. :) very happy I came across these boards when I did!

Drummer64 wrote: »
    Mop, I have followed you on this board for about 6 months and you have never stopped being amazingly helpful. Very happy you got in. Thank you and everyone else on here, everyone is always so helpful and informative. :) very happy I came across these boards when I did!

Definitely!!!! And Drummer you said we'd get there, you better not back out now!!!!!!!!!

Definitely!!!! And Drummer you said we'd get there, you better not back out now!!!!!!!!!

Love this place, see you there Burner. Me and you will be bursting out if GV all 21 jump Street!

I'm not 100% sure if the merot list is only worked out on AC score. Tbh I have suggested a few times that someone should put in a FOI request to find out for definite but no one will. It's free folks lol just do it!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Redboy12345

I don't suppose you can recall when exactly in summer? (Longshot I know) I've just scored mid 80s and I'm due to go away for most of June.. So just wondering.

Tricky question there. Remember that C2 was out of the ordinary... They had to freeze it in the middle due to financial constraints. However, I think I'm right in saying the top scorers were first put through summertime 2015 ( so say a year to 14 months after initial application.) I am in the group called up to post most recently (I'm in the may 2016 intake) my start date is two years to the day of me applying (which is weird in itself).

Advertisement