Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300 jobs lost in Dublin but nothing in the media about it???

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

Hi folks .

Thought I would post this here. The xbox support call centre that was in Dublin gave notice to 300 workers on Monday that their role would cease to exist at the end of the month. Workers redundancy was two weeks per year and an xbox live subscription .

I don't work for them honestly but I have a family member who does and it just irks me to see nothing about this in the new news.
    Am I just being petty or should job losses like be reported on national news ?

Thank you.

K
    insensitive or what not even an Xbox:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I'm sure the Independant will report on the job losses in the next day or 2. Seems they're a bit busy at the moment working on an exclusive about some guy getting a dirty look from another fella who's best mates bird is Mary Lou McDonalds 3rd cousin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Duiske wrote: »
    I'm sure the Independant will report on the job losses in the next day or 2. Seems they're a bit busy at the moment working on an exclusive about some guy getting a dirty look from another fella who's best mates bird is Mary Lou McDonalds 3rd cousin.

I can see the headline already "Sinn Fein causes 300 job losses"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

More specifically, I am asking the Minister to intervene and seek another company to take this over as a going concern and for him to do all in his power to ensure that these vital jobs are saved.
    To me, this sounds like they haven't a clue what jobs are going, and just want to throw out soundbites.

=-=

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/paddy-power-betfair-to-cut-650-jobs-300-in-ireland-following-merger-728290.html
    Paddy Power are also letting 300 people go, it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

syklops wrote: »
    I can introduce you to several. One of them my partner.

What does she do ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ssssh, don't you know that we have the best educated graduates on the planet and the economy is growing at 7% a year?

You do realise that stuff like this happens all the time with major corporations and is not a reflection of the economy or government?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

JustTheOne wrote: »
    What's the reason?

Sony PS4 outselling the Xbox One by 3 to 1 might have something to do with it. And alot of gamers have jumped ship from Xbox to Playstation over the past 2 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ted1 wrote: »
    If there not getting holiday pay then they are a contractor, I've yet to meet an contractor on less than 350 a day

You're not looking hard enough.

I know plenty of 'IT Contractors' that are essentially on the same pay as the full-time staff without any of the perks. More and more junior support/helpdesk staff find themselves accepting 'contractor' positions for managed service contracts of limited duration with no hint of being paid what you would call 'contractor' rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Homlescow

Graham wrote: »

I know plenty of 'IT Contractors' that are essentially on the same pay as the full-time staff without any of the perks. More and more junior support/helpdesk staff find themselves accepting 'contractor' positions for managed service contracts of limited duration with no hint of being paid what you would call 'contractor' rates.

An example for you - the PRTB help desk are all contractors they are on 19k a year
    Loads of state services are operated on a low paid contractor basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ted1 wrote: »
    What does she do ?

She works in the IT department of a financial company.

• Advertisement

tcahill wrote: »
    Loads of state services are operated on a low paid contractor basis

What makes it even more bizarre is a collection of these almost minimum wage contractors could be reported in the press as XYZ state-service spending millions on consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Homlescow

What makes it even more bizarre is a collection of these almost minimum wage contractors could be reported in the press as XYZ state-service spending millions on consultants.

Yep, its hard to get a grasp of what is realy going on in the background now days, I use the PRTB as an example as I used to be one of their phone agents, the interesting thing is that it was split in to two contracts, the first for the Call Centre and Administration & the second was the Dispute Resloution Centre(Tribunals , Adjudications & Mediations)

In the Call Centre we had basicly no contact with the Resolution Centre - it allways felt like there was somthing fishy going on

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You need to put on the green jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well, until people stop accepting these jobs, the companies will continue to push the boundaries of what is your 'job' and how secure it is. I would rather sit on me arse on the dole than take up one of them roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭matchthis

Could they make a movie? Somethin like a 300 and the full monty mash up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I hear there might be some tram driving jobs becoming available soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This is bs.

Every day there is doom and gloom on the news, homelessness health etc.

I'm bloody sick of it and the left leaning media in this country.

Would swear we live in North Africa most days.

The news media in Ireland is not left leaning in my opinion, but then again neither are any of the political parties (barring perhaps the SDs, but they've only really popped up since I've been gone so somewhat unfamiliar with them). The people parading in Ireland as left wingers are anti-tax, magic money tree types... in other words, wolves in sheeps clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Heard about this during the week.

The reality is that 'it' being on the news makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sony PS4 outselling the Xbox One by 3 to 1 might have something to do with it. And alot of gamers have jumped ship from Xbox to Playstation over the past 2 years.

Can you back up those figures?

XB One had a bad start but was doing well in the last yearl

Also Xbox live now has 48 million subscribers which is a big increase.
    Link

I just think it's a commercial/contractual decusion rather than an indication of Xbox not doing well.

TallGlass wrote: »
    I would rather sit on me arse on the dole than take up one of them roles.

Isn't it a nice world that you could make such a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

Letree wrote: »
    News media should be referred to as agenda media. They have their agenda and news comes 2nd.

Serious lack of reporting on the sulky racing on the N7 the other day too.

Of course, you can't bring attention to that. There's propaganda ongoing to make us think travellers are just like the rest of us. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Letree wrote: »
    News media should be referred to as agenda media. They have their agenda and news comes 2nd.

Someone on the Sanders For President Reddit forum was decrying CNN's obvious pro-Clinton bias throughout this US Primary cycle and advocating a state funded impartial media source instead. I was sorry to have to point out that we have that here in Ireland, with impartiality mandated by law, and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. From downplaying the size of protest marches to downplaying bad news which the establishment wants hushed up, our media has become a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What's the reason?

You will probably find its due to cost measures.Ireland is too expensive for roles like this now, these jobs probably are moving to eastern Europe where people taking the calls speak 3 languages and do just as good a job, for 30% of the price. They can have 10+ countries supported from one center which makes the cost even less.

The days of companies with a large global footprint having low-mid cost products being supported in UK and Ireland are coming to an end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Isn't it a nice world that you could make such a choice.

In all fairness, I said I would rather. But to be honest, I would just look for another job. It's not even the work, or the chance that you'd be dropped like a hot stone. It's that your treated like a piece of dirt from what I have been told by people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dirtboxsniff

Still nothing reported

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Still nothing reported

I think we should all ring Joe Duffy and other phone-in radio shows nationwide

Mooney: Pat is on line 1 to talk about a squirrel problem

Pat: Good afternoon Derek. 300 JOBS LOST IN DUBLIN AND NOTHING ABOUT IT ON RTÉ OR OTHER MEDIA OUTLETS.
    Did you know there's a company in Thurles who have created over 60-100 jobs at every election. Total number of people employed in this company = 66
    Keep the recovery propaganda going

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Still nothing reported

You should write a stern letter to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not a nice experience for families. Best of luck to them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 .300 WinMag

That figures, if 10 jobs are created in a feckin napkin factory gowl face bruton is nearly having a state of the nation to announce it

Advertisement