Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 | Finale | Last Day On Earth [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

For me the episode brought home the reason why I keep watching this show, it gets so very very close to being great but just falls short most of the time through poor scripting, bad pacing and inconsistent characters and logic as well as the stupidest decisions imaginable.

I think people could live with the cliff hanger if there hadn't already been two of them this season one of which has to count as the worst cliff hanger ever with worst resolution. That's not mentioning of course when they left the house in Alexandria covered in zombie guts and the continuity changed from the end of one episode to the beginning of the next (Sam loosing it as the episode ended then being ok and not loosing it until later in the next episode). The writers have not done cliff hangers well this season and people have lost patience with their stupidity and are not prepared to buy into another (possibly poor) one.

The main reason I am pissed off with the cliff hanger ending is that I don't trust them not to do something stupid at the start of next season like say nobody died they just got mangled or something equally ridiculous that doesn't fit in with what we saw happen.

Also who the hell was that person at the beginning of the episode that the saviours were chasing through the forest and why should Rick care if they kill him (he obviously wasn't valuable enough for Rick to save)? Is it Arrons boyfriend who we haven't seem since him and Arron shared a meal with Daryl 2(?) seasons ago? Is it the doctor from Hilltop? I don't know and they didn't exactly set it up very well. For that matter why paint an X on him either?

So much wrong when they were so close to having an episode that would have been one of the most powerful ever on any series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

coL wrote: »

Also who the hell was that person at the beginning of the episode that the saviours were chasing through the forest and why should Rick care if they kill him (he obviously wasn't valuable enough for Rick to save)? Is it Arrons boyfriend who we haven't seem since him and Arron shared a meal with Daryl 2(?) seasons ago? Is it the doctor from Hilltop? I don't know and they didn't exactly set it up very well. For that matter why paint an X on him either?

So much wrong when they were so close to having an episode that would have been one of the most powerful ever on any series.

The fella being chased was the last member of a group called The Library. He was being punished for "fighting back". They are all dead now apart from him. You see Carol sheltering there after what looks like a bloodbath so it's not clear whether they were chomped or done in by the Saviors. I tink the only point of him was to show Rick's group what their fates were going to be. Didn't look anyting like Aaron's man. But good question - where the hell is he? Not seen him since he was laid up in Alexandria with an injured peg ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Whatever happened to the ones painting the W on peoples heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Nebaw

baza Rakus wrote: »
    The fella being chased was the last member of a group called The Library. He was being punished for "fighting back". They are all dead now apart from him. You see Carol sheltering there after what looks like a bloodbath so it's not clear whether they were chomped or done in by the Saviors. I tink the only point of him was to show Rick's group what their fates were going to be. Didn't look anyting like Aaron's man. But good question - where the hell is he? Not seen him since he was laid up in Alexandria with an injured peg ...

Just had to google it after reading yere comments, he was in the episode "No way out", this is what it says, "When the herd invaded, Eric retreated back inside his house with Olivia while Aaron retreated to the infirmary with Heath and Spencer. After Carl got shot and Rick, Michonne, Aaron, Heath, and Spencer lead a defensive against the herd, Eric and Olivia join their effort. Eric along with Aaron and the entire able-bodied community defeated the herd in Alexandria, securing their home. Later that morning, Eric was with Aaron, covered in blood, along with the rest of the community outside the infirmary with the bodies of the walkers flooding the streets.When the herd invaded, Eric retreated back inside his house with Olivia while Aaron retreated to the infirmary with Heath and Spencer. After Carl got shot and Rick, Michonne, Aaron, Heath, and Spencer lead a defensive against the herd, Eric and Olivia join their effort. Eric along with Aaron and the entire able-bodied community defeated the herd in Alexandria, securing their home. Later that morning, Eric was with Aaron, covered in blood, along with the rest of the community outside the infirmary with the bodies of the walkers flooding the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Good theory here
    It's the same person I thought too, but for slightly different reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Whatever happened to the ones painting the W on peoples heads?

The wolves? Well unless I missed it there was no back story whatsoever and they just turned up one day to kill the people of Alexandria. Morgan let 4/5 of them go and the rest got killed. They haven't been heard of since.

smash wrote: »
    The wolves? Well unless I missed it there was no back story whatsoever and they just turned up one day to kill the people of Alexandria. Morgan let 4/5 of them go and the rest got killed. They haven't been heard of since.

Oh yes I forgot about that.

Gets confusing with the mid season break etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The few that Morgan let go are all dead too.

There was the one who kidnapped Denise, and the others were killed when they happened upon Rick in the camper van on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Mmm my conspiracy theory is now that its Daryl based on moustache'd guy telling librarian that they killed the one in his group who fired first shot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Kirkman isn't an Executive Producer/Showrunner so really he has no say in how they decide to do the show. He doesn't have any creative control. Basically he's there to do Talking Dead and promo appearances so you will never hear any creative input from him on the show's direction. Point being me may completely disagree with what they do on the show but you ain't ever gonna hear him saying it in public cos he knows who writes his checks.

Except....................

Robert Kirkman is an Executive Producer and scriptwriter for the show!! He has a lot of say but clearly was overriden by AMC showrunners at this juincture.........

• Advertisement

The few that Morgan let go are all dead too.

There was the one who kidnapped Denise, and the others were killed when they happened upon Rick in the camper van on the road.

Forgot about that. A complete waste of a storyline if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I suppose if you think about the series, The Wolves provided a devastating mindless attack on the group. They were just a group who had lost the plot.

We had the huge herd and strategic plan to move them that went wrong.

After defeating these obstacles with a few deaths, Ricks group are feeling confident and saying things like "we can do anything".

Then they went as low as to kill people in their sleep. This has backfired. That's why the finale was drawn out because we didn't need another war scene. It was more about the mind game that Negans group were playing. Negans overwhelming control over Ricks group.

Had it not ended with a cliffhanger, who would have really cared who he killed? If it is Glenn, would the viewer be that shocked? Even if it's Darryl or Michonne, nothing would top the killing of Hershal. The important part of the episode is not who Negan killed but what Negens presence now means for the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

Except....................

Robert Kirkman is an Executive Producer and scriptwriter for the show!! He has a lot of say but clearly was overriden by AMC showrunners at this juincture.........

I see ...

Olishi4 wrote: »
    The important part of the episode is not who Negan killed but what Negens presence now means for the group.

Surely the obvious tactic here is to pretend like you are cowed and doing what Negan says while secretly you are making a shank out of a toothbrush and will take out his throat at the first opportunity?

Olishi4 wrote: »
    The important part of the episode is not who Negan killed but what Negens presence now means for the group.

From a viewers perspective it doesn't mean anything for the group because we haven't actually seen the real level of threat they impose. Rick's gang have come up against other gangs before... they even beat a guy with a tank for fcuk sake. So far Negan's group have been killed as they come and have just now lead them in to the woods. Without the totality of the situation being shown on screen, it means nothing.

Without the totality of the situation being shown on screen, it means nothing.

Is the totality not that Negan said they were his bitches now and that he was taking their stuff and they had to go and beg, borrow and steal more stuff - that it was career day and they were now going to be working for him?

Is the totality not that Negan said they were his bitches now and that he was taking their stuff and they had to go and beg, borrow and steal more stuff - that it was career day and they were now going to be working for him?

Not really. Actions speak louder than words.

Surely the obvious tactic here is to pretend like you are cowed and doing what Negan says while secretly you are making a shank out of a toothbrush and will take out his throat at the first opportunity?

Obviously that is for the next series but it wasn't going to happen in the finale.

The only person that Negan could have killed that would have shocked the viewer would have been Rick or possibly Carl but they aren't going to do that. So they could have revealed who he killed which would not really be that shocking at this stage or just leave it as a cliffhanger leading into the next series.

From a viewers perspective it doesn't mean anything for the group because we haven't actually seen the real level of threat they impose. Rick's gang have come up against other gangs before... they even beat a guy with a tank for fcuk sake. So far Negan's group have been killed as they come and have just now lead them in to the woods. Without the totality of the situation being shown on screen, it means nothing.

I disagree. From a viewers perspective, we haven't seen anything like Negan.

The cannibals led people to them under false pretence. They tricked people when they were vulnerable and trusted them and their leader, Gareth was also a wimp.

The Governer was calculated and charismatic but he also initially had a "join me" approach. He was inconsistent and unpredictable and even went around killing his own men in a fit of anger.

The wolves, random, insane people.

The Claimers, where Rick bit Joe's neck, were ruthless but stupid, wanderers and loners.

We haven't seen anything like Negan. What we can see so far is that his gang are controlled, large and strategic in their approach. They have numerous people in different locations. Negan is confident, cocky and he is basically saying "we are taking your group whether you like it or not". He has come in when the group are feeling invincible and has shattered that confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Thanks.

Did I miss an episode or something? I don't remember that group ever being in the show or even being referred to. I still don't see why Rick (or us the viewers for that matter) would care that they were killing someone who is not part of the group.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Did I miss an episode or something? I don't remember that group ever being in the show or even being referred to. I still don't see why Rick (or us the viewers for that matter) would care that they were killing someone who is not part of the group.

I think there's been a few groups that have briefly passed through without a name. I'd say the comic readers know them, the rest of us just see them as random people.

Thanks.

nah, it wasnt referred to at all before this episode. (AFAIK) Thats why I was confused at first. I guess it was just used as a sideplot whilst the road blockages were going on as a device to ensure Rick n Co knew exactltly who they were up against and for the audience to get a bit more insight about how the Saviours go about business and how viciously violent and scrupulous they are.

Heres some further info about him

This man belonged to a group of survivors living in a camp established at a gated library in a town somewhere in Virginia. He and his group were being terrorized by the Saviors until one day they decided to rebel against the Saviors. This led to the entire camp being massacred and this man being captured by the lead Savior of a small group. While in captivity, he managed to escape only to be recaptured. He was beaten and dragged back onto the road where the Saviors' vehicles were set up in a roadblock, the same time Rick and his crew arrived in their RV. The man's life was not bargained for and Rick backed off. Later, while Rick and the RV arrived at another roadblock consisting of a massive pile of tree logs, this man was thrown off of the overpass at the roadblock where he was strangled to death by a chain wrapped around his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Yeah, I wasn't thrown by the appearance of the poor misfortunate guy who got hung from the bridge...I just assumed he was from another group that the Saviours had taken control of and who tried to rebel, obviously with dire consequences - the murdered library group that Morgan and Carol came upon. As mentioned, a foreboding signal to both Rick et al and the viewers of what the Saviours would do to transgressors.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I hope The Saviours are a recurring threat in S7 (and beyond if they continue filming), and not just a boom-bang, one episode wonder, like Terminus, which was hyped to the max and literally lasted one episode, plus another couple of (admittedly important) scenes. Our group have been based around the same area since the outbreak, it would stand to reason that they're going to run into the same people more than once. Killing them all off or having them disappear into the ether just isn't realistic, especially with a group as large as the Saviours. I have my own theory as to what happens, but this isn't the right place for that.

DoozerT6 wrote: »

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I hope The Saviours are a recurring threat in S7 (and beyond if they continue filming), and not just a boom-bang, one episode wonder, like Terminus, which was hyped to the max and literally lasted one episode, plus another couple of (admittedly important) scenes. Our group have been based around the same area since the outbreak, it would stand to reason that they're going to run into the same people more than once. Killing them all off or having them disappear into the ether just isn't realistic, especially with a group as large as the Saviours. I have my own theory as to what happens, but this isn't the right place for that.

Ah, come on, surely you copped on this was a long term plot!! Even the casting of JDM alone would have made that impression and all the interviews and talks about how season 7 and maybe beyond will be about Ricks trouble due to their presence!

And dont call me out on giving spoilers on this one!! ha! I think me reassuring you that this wasnt bjust a one episode plot story is fair game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Ah, come on, surely you copped on this was a long term plot!! Even the casting of JDM alone would have made that impression and all the interviews and talks about how season 7 and maybe beyond will be about Ricks trouble due to their presence!

I would hope so. The series needs a long-running antagonist (kinda like Sideshow Bob vs Bart Simpson :D ) so I look forward to seeing where they take it. I haven't watched or read any interviews as to what's coming up for S7 and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I've started reading the comics (I'm on No.8) They are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Yester wrote: »
    I've started reading the comics (I'm on No.8) They are very good.

How many comics is there do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

153 so far - http://www.thewalkingdead.com/category/comics/

153 out today!!

They are back in The Quarry...............................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I haven't read them in awhile but i'm pretty sure I was just over issue 100 at that stage, and that was a good while back. I might be a bit off on the exact number but fairly certain it was about that. I would say they are well past that at this stage now!

Edit: Posted just after the confirmation of the number of issues above. I must start reading them again, really enjoyed them!

Advertisement