Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rugby's inability to produce scrumhalves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

From my experience of coaching and refereeing I really have to disagree with that. Yes it could be true to some extent in some places but not all. Best player is far from simply your outhalf. And order then doesn't go 13/15. It varies a huge amount depending on resources of club/school and varies again depending on the year group/age group
    So he's right then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So he's right then.
    He's not. I haven't seen anything like that across clubs etc all over and I phrased previous post poorly.
    To say best player 10 etc is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

The reason why we produce so few Scrum Halfs is because it is a position that demands a few skills that we are not very good at coaching.

In general, coaching is of a poor standard here. The academies are pretty good but only the top 1% of players make it that far. Meaning, there's probably a few potential decent 9's out there in the top 20% that could make it if they got decent coaching but there are more than likely not going to get it.

By the way I remember Guinness had an amazing 9 few years back. Very skilful and very competitive. I reckon this guy had the potential to play at a very high level, don't know what happened to him

In the academy, there is probably only one or two slots available for a nine and that's going to more likely going to go to a Rugby school guy who plays 9. When there could be another schools player who plays 10, 15 but could be a better 9 if he focussed on that position. If you are decent player in schools you tend not play 9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 131 ✭✭leinstertalk

The reason why we produce so few Scrum Halfs is because it is a position that demands a few skills that we are not very good at coaching.

In general, coaching is of a poor standard here. The academies are pretty good but only the top 1% of players make it that far. Meaning, there's probably a few potential decent 9's out there in the top 20% that could make it if they got decent coaching but there are more than likely not going to get it.

By the way I remember Guinness had an amazing 9 few years back. Very skilful and very competitive. I reckon this guy had the potential to play at a very high level, don't know what happened to him

In the academy, there is probably only one or two slots available for a nine and that's going to more likely going to go to a Rugby school guy who plays 9. When there could be another schools player who plays 10, 15 but could be a better 9 if he focussed on that position. If you are decent player in schools you tend not play 9.

Two of the best underage 9's in the country this year played fullback(Hugh O'Sullivan/Belvedere) and wing(Paddy Patterson/Blackrock) for their school.

Two of the best underage 9's in the country this year played fullback(Hugh O'Sullivan/Belvedere) and wing(Paddy Patterson/Blackrock) for their school.

What I would like to in schools and youths is players play a multiple of positions.

I remember playing adult junior rugby and we needed someone to play 10. The coach (who was very good) just told some Kiwi guy to play there and he was excellent. Another kiwi guy was a small lad and ended up playing second row when we were short and could ruck better than most of the pack.

I hate to say it but the way rugby is played here reminds me of the way some Americans play Soccer. I remember when we were young American Soccer teams used to come over and a few of them stayed with us in our house. So I went off an watch the matches and they got hammered - in every match - kinda 10 - 0.

When we play the Kiwis at any level (except woman's) they hammer us - usually without even trying that hard.

I feel the game here is need of a radical overhaul if we ever want to be taken seriously against the best in the world. Instead, it is run by a conservative Irish mentality. In Dublin, 50% of the people are only interested in it because of a class thing. If the God of poshness decided all the Rugby schools switch to Roller Skating because that's what upper middle class people now do - that's what they would do. Compare the skills level of an average soccer U10 or GAA team to an average Rugby team and there can be up to an Atlantic Ocean of difference.

It's a joke we are so reliant of schools for the development of a sport.

You go to school to learn English, Irish, Maths etc and get ready for college if you are academic. Sport of course is also import. But clubs should drive that not school teachers who study to teach Geography or whatever not rugby,

• Advertisement

The clubs don't have the rescources or time/access to players.. all the most skilled players come from schools rugby.
    Underage club players almost always have weaker skill levels to their school counterparts even if they are better athletes.
    The idea that irish rugby should be moving away from schools rugby as it's primary development area is crazy, nothing suggests that club rugby have the structures, support, etc. to do a better job at developing young rugby players.
    We can only hope to try and continously improve underage club rugby while also fighting hard to win the battle for athletes against the GAA which is the biggest barrier to more growth in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

The clubs don't have the rescources or time/access to players.. all the most skilled players come from schools rugby.
    Underage club players almost always have weaker skill levels to their school counterparts even if they are better athletes.
    The idea that irish rugby should be moving away from schools rugby as it's primary development area is crazy, nothing suggests that club rugby have the structures, support, etc. to do a better job at developing young rugby players.
    We can only hope to try and continously improve underage club rugby while also fighting hard to win the battle for athletes against the GAA which is the biggest barrier to more growth in that area.

Who says move away? you conjoin schools and clubs, invest more in underage clubs, raise competition, standards and most importantly widen the playing pool.

Its bizarre, only in Ireland do you have people not wanting the game to grow because of some fear the sacred cow of schools rugby might be hauled in and overtaken. The point of the IRFU is not to sell advertising to the casual fan, the semblance of rugby, its to grow the game.

Who says move away? you conjoin schools and clubs, invest more in underage clubs, raise competition, standards and most importantly widen the playing pool.

Its bizarre, only in Ireland do you have people not wanting the game to grow because of some fear the sacred cow of schools rugby might be hauled in and overtaken. The point of the IRFU is not to sell advertising to the casual fan, the semblance of rugby, its to grow the game.

that's an ongoing process throughout the country.. there has been huge growth in the game in the past decade.

But age grade teams are not about in many respects what position a player will end up in. You pick the best of what you have where best utilised. I don't think you can say the coaching isn't good enough. There only needs to be 2/3 positions available in each academy for a 9. We don't have the depth for more. We don't have the ability to have very strong fully independent semi pro teams/pro teams and its more likely a player from a rugby school will get a slot as they get more opportunities to be seen. Its not really true to say if a decent player at age grade you don't tend to play 9. Its very difficult to prove that
    What I would like to in schools and youths is players play a multiple of positions.

I remember playing adult junior rugby and we needed someone to play 10. The coach (who was very good) just told some Kiwi guy to play there and he was excellent. Another kiwi guy was a small lad and ended up playing second row when we were short and could ruck better than most of the pack.

I hate to say it but the way rugby is played here reminds me of the way some Americans play Soccer. I remember when we were young American Soccer teams used to come over and a few of them stayed with us in our house. So I went off an watch the matches and they got hammered - in every match - kinda 10 - 0.

When we play the Kiwis at any level (except woman's) they hammer us - usually without even trying that hard.

I feel the game here is need of a radical overhaul if we ever want to be taken seriously against the best in the world. Instead, it is run by a conservative Irish mentality. In Dublin, 50% of the people are only interested in it because of a class thing. If the God of poshness decided all the Rugby schools switch to Roller Skating because that's what upper middle class people now do - that's what they would do. Compare the skills level of an average soccer U10 or GAA team to an average Rugby team and there can be up to an Atlantic Ocean of difference.

It's a joke we are so reliant of schools for the development of a sport.

You go to school to learn English, Irish, Maths etc and get ready for college if you are academic. Sport of course is also import. But clubs should drive that not school teachers who study to teach Geography or whatever not rugby,
    How do you propose getting people to play more positions?
    Some of what you say is true but a lot is rubbish. Sport and academia. Its been proven playing sports improves grades...
    Its not a joke that we are reliant on schools for the development of a sport. Its a joke that we are reliant on a certain type of schools in many areas. Most of which are out of reach of a lot of people due to the financial costs of attending those schools.
    To say all the most skilled come from schools is nonsense and a huge generalisation. Underage club players may not have better skills in some aspects purely because they wont train as much.
    Irish Rugby needs to change the focus from schools rugby as the primary development area or at least combine schools and clubs better in terms of LTPD and linking kids in rugby playing schools with clubs better and have interaction between both rugby schools and rugby clubs at all ages more often.
    Its about power and influence. Schools, old boys have the power and influence. And changing schools game may mean schools power is eroded and that cant happen...

Agreed.
    Don't think so.
    Ok. To improve rugby standards then we should just created more private schools?

As ridiculous as that sounds, it is probably the only way to create more rugby players.

As for your point about GAA. That is mainly a Saturday sport. Club Rugby is a Sunday sport. Kids can play both until they are 14 - 15 and then make up their mind.

Also GAA peaks in the Summer, Rugby off season.

• Advertisement

Sport and academia. Its been proven playing sports improves grades...
    I think you would struggle for a decent peer reviewed paper to help you out there.

Agreed.

Don't think so.

Ok. To improve rugby standards then we should just created more private schools?

As ridiculous as that sounds, it is probably the only way to create more rugby players.

As for your point about GAA. That is mainly a Saturday sport. Club Rugby is a Sunday sport. Kids can play both until they are 14 - 15 and then make up their mind.

what highly skilled back has been produced by underage club rugby in the past 10 years?
    how many have even played Ireland u20 rugby?

The average underage club player does not have the same skill level as the average underage schools player. Which was reflected this year in the Ireland underage squads.

GAA is a huge problem for rugbys growth, much more so than any other sport.

No it isn't and I know you're not being serious...
    But being serious what can be done to help create more players?

Where are you talking about when you say GAA is mainly a Saturday Sport while Club rugby is mainly a Sunday Sport in many areas including several Connacht leagues, the Leinster leagues and some West, all south Munster leagues games are Saturdays.
    In GAA where im from GAA is mainly mid week with very little club GAA weekends and if so its Sunday more than Saturday

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As for your point about GAA. That is mainly a Saturday sport. Club Rugby is a Sunday sport.

not outside of the pale

the vast, vast majority of minis + youths rugby outside of the metro area takes place on saturdays.

senior club rugby takes place on sundays, but in the context of this discussion thats immaterial.

GAA is starting earlier and and finishing later season on season. Anecdotally i know of some underage gaa teams who are training winter long. There is most definitely a struggle between gaa and rugby for players, with a lot underage gaa players been warned not to play rugby on the off season.

what highly skilled back has been produced by underage club rugby in the past 10 years?

The average underage club player does not have the same skill level as the average underage schools player. Which was reflected this year in the Ireland underage squads.

GAA is a huge problem for rugbys growth, much more so than any other sport.

Chicken egg situation. Speaking of the GAA, look at Dublin, invested in grassroots county wide, not just a few, already elite, clubs, and now they are looking like an unstoppable juggernaut.

Compare that to Leinster rugby, does all it can to destroy club rugby (in conjunction with the IRFU) as a pipeline for pro players, then they point out its not a pipeline for players and the standards have dropped way off.

Why do you object to a widening of the player pool?

Personally I'd do away with the schools cup, integrate clubs and schools in the one competition, invest equally across the board, make a long term decision that every club and school will have a gym and access to Leinster trained S&C and skills coaches. That is how you grow the game.

Personally I'd do away with the schools cup, integrate clubs and schools in the one competition, invest equally across the board, make a long term decision that every club and school will have a gym and access to Leinster trained S&C and skills coaches. That is how you grow the game.

thank god you aren't in charge then because that would be disasterous for rugby in this country in the short term and holds no guarentees it would actually widen the playing base or produce better players.

the way to grow the game is to improve the underage club game, they are trying to do that but it's a slow process but it is happening. leave the schools game alone, it's not broken so don't try to break it.

leinster rugby trying to destroy the club game? leinster rugby has the healthiest underage club game in the country.. it's started to reguarly churn out academy players when previously it was massively underperforming in that area. senior club rugby has very little to do with the professional game apart from the AIl being a decent arena for young academy players to get games.

a comparison to Dublin GAA is bizarre.. totally different situations with massively different overheads and income streams

How would integrating schools and clubs into the one competition be disastrous? It would still be a meritocracy. the only difference would be players playing against better players thus improving, add in investment and its a win win.

Why do all sports but Irish rugby want to expand? You are either evolving and expanding or you are standing still.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    GAA is starting earlier and and finishing later season on season. Anecdotally i know of some underage gaa teams who are training winter long. There is most definitely a struggle between gaa and rugby for players, with a lot underage gaa players been warned not to play rugby on the off season.
    You are right there. It used to be a lot easier to play both.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How would integrating schools and clubs into the one competition be disastrous? It would still be a meritocracy. the only difference would be players playing against better players thus improving, add in investment and its a win win.

Why do all sports but Irish rugby want to expand? You are either evolving and expanding or you are standing still.

well for one thing clubs players would be in school when you want them to be playing games.... that would be a significant problem with your proposal

irish rugby has expanded massively in the past decade.

• Advertisement

I have seen some exceptional ones in youths that have been just as skillful as anything I have seen in schools.
    That's not always a meritocracy and the schools guys are training 5 / 6 times a week so are always going to be ahead on fitness.

The last few years Skerries Community School which isn't a rugby school but the youths teams from Skerries RFC who go to the local school just entering the competition have done pretty well and beat a lot - if not hammered - a lot of section B schools like High School etc.

Apparently they only train once a week. I saw them and they all had great technique and skill. Who knows, if there were training 5 times a week, they would be at a Rock / Belvo standard and a few would make Ireland U20's.

No it isn't and I know you're not being serious...
    But being serious what can be done to help create more players?
    A complete change in how the game is run. There would be pain for a few years and long term gain.

1. More development officers.
    2. More vetting of coaches. You are not allowed coach unless you have done appropriate courses and have been assessed.
    3. Payment of refs (and if they are not up to safety, fitness standards they are out).
    4. A youths cup that has the same prestige of the SCT and JCT.
    5. Restructure the AIL completely. Get rid of division 3.
    6. Shorter season for amateur teams - less matches.
    7. finances of clubs audited to ensure none of them are doing an Anglo, remortgaging their grounds to play some Kiwis or South Africans to play front row.
    8. Banning of the Jackal position at youth levels up to U15. Ruck over the player. If the ball doesn't come back - it's a turnover. Scrum.
    9. Tip only until U9.
    10. Rugby done by weight for all amateur levels.
    11. Innovative scoring systems - more bonus points for tries etc at all amateur levels
    12. Banning of kicking of all sorts until U14. Even conversions.
    13. Development games to played in four quarters. Giving coaches times to coach players.
    14. At dev levels, player only to score twice.
    15. Tap penalties - you must pass twice before tackle. Encourage fast passing and stop giving it to big man.
    16. Waist down tackles only until U15.
    17. An analysis of player injury at all levels. How did it happen? And an effort to ensure that any observable pattern that is causing injury is dealt with.

Agreed.
    Most do not all. And most in fee paying/rugby schools dominate as theyre given more opportunities to succeed and more chances to be looked at for progression. To help the sport we need to halt recruitment into the rugby schools for schools cup and improve the coaching of talented players outside of those schools.
    Don't think so.
    Will agree with you on this point.
    As ridiculous as that sounds, it is probably the only way to create
    more rugby players.
    No it isn't. To improve rugby standards we need more coaches. We need more provincial staff to work on coaches in clubs and give more assistance. Numbers of development officers is down. Why?
    Where are you basing that on? Where is GAA mainly a Saturday Sport and club underage isn't mainly a Sunday Sport. A lot of leinster underage club rugby is Saturday. A lot of leagues in Connacht are played both Saturdays and Sundays. South Munster, West Munster played Saturday
    Maybe so but club underage GAA is played all year round in most areas of the country. I have had players on teams I coach missing for rugby games in November-January because they've been playing GAA....
    I think you would struggle for a decent peer reviewed paper to help you out there.
    Did a quick search on J-Stor and found several articles.... Il PM them to you if you want.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    not outside of the pale

the vast, vast majority of minis + youths rugby outside of the metro area takes place on saturdays.
    In Leinster but varies between other provinces
    Because they see rugby as a threat to their monopoly of many areas.
    Chicken egg situation. Speaking of the GAA, look at Dublin, invested in grassroots county wide, not just a few, already elite, clubs, and now they are looking like an unstoppable juggernaut.

Compare that to Leinster rugby, does all it can to destroy club rugby (in conjunction with the IRFU) as a pipeline for pro players, then they point out its not a pipeline for players and the standards have dropped way off.

Why do you object to a widening of the player pool?

Clubs haven't helped themselves either in Rugby. Getting rid of the schools cups should only happen with a replacement in the form of fully meritocratic leagues as the main basis for competition with cups also there.
    Integrating clubs and schools into the one competition isn't feasible.
    thank god you aren't in charge then because that would be disasterous for rugby in this country in the short term and holds no guarentees it would actually widen the playing base or produce better players.

the way to grow the game is to improve the underage club game, they are trying to do that but it's a slow process but it is happening. leave the schools game alone, it's not broken so don't try to break it.
    In the short term there would be issues but in the long term the benefits would be great for the sport. Removing the focus on schools competitions that in 3 provinces have been overly dominated by fee paying schools not accessible to large portions of the population helps the sport grow further.
    Improving the underage club game needs to happen but considering you are unhappy with rules about schools being stopped from using talented club players who are enticed to move school etc then are you not ......
    a comparison to Dublin GAA is bizarre.. totally different situations with massively different overheads and income streams
    The comparison with Dublin GAA isn't bizarre at all. Its a very good comparison in most aspects. Theyre not totally different at all.

Irish Rugby does want to expand but there is inherent conservatism at most levels of the sport so dealing with that is a significant.
    Integrating schools players and clubs needs to happen but how do you propose to have schools and clubs in the one competition. That's just not feasible.

I have seen some exceptional ones in youths that have been just as skillful as anything I have seen in schools.

That's not always a meritocracy and the schools guys are training 5 / 6 times a week so are always going to be ahead on fitness.

The last few years Skerries Community School which isn't a rugby school but the youths teams from Skerries RFC who go to the local school just entering the competition have done pretty well and beat a lot - if not hammered - a lot of section B schools like High School etc.

Apparently they only train once a week. I saw them and they all had great technique and skill. Who knows, if there were training 5 times a week, they would be at a Rock / Belvo standard and a few would make Ireland U20's.

give me some names?

some of those skerries lads played leinster u18 clubs, one made ireland u19. He was the only player on that team with that talent level and will likely make the academy, thanks to the support leinster rugby has given him since he played Shane Horgan Cup as a 15 year old.

How do you suggest that skerries team trains as often as schools sides such as Rock and Belvo? because those schools side shouldn't be made train less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Speaking for all the Connacht fans, I'm calling for a shutdown of this thread.

When you produce talented SHs like Marmion Blade and Kerins in 3 years, you can claim it's a non-sense created by unable other provinces :D:p

A complete change in how the game is run. There would be pain for a few years and long term gain.

1. More development officers.
    2. More vetting of coaches. You are not allowed coach unless you have done appropriate courses and have been assessed.
    3. Payment of refs (and if they are not up to safety, fitness standards they are out).
    4. A youths cup that has the same prestige of the SCT and JCT.
    5. Restructure the AIL completely. Get rid of division 3.
    Answers....
    1. Where does this funding for more development officers come from. There has been a reduction in development officers in recent years as the funding hasn't been there.
    2. Who do you want to do this vetting of coaches. How feasible do you think that is? Its a significant struggle to get people to coach kids as it is without extra levels of bureaucracy to jump through.
    3. Where does the payment for referees come from? We get travel expenses from the branch but payment? I actually like that we simply have expenses that cover our costs and we are refereeing simply because there is an enjoyment in doing it and providing a service and that we don't need payment to do it.
    4. How do you propose for youths competitions to reach the same level of prestige as schools cups? That just isn't feasible.
    5. You clearly don't follow the AIL that much do you? There is 5 divisions of 10 teams. There has been 4 divisons for 6/7 years since division 1 split into 1A/B and then this season saw reshuffle so there is 5 divisions.
    6. Shorter season for amateur teams - less matches.
    7. finances of clubs audited to ensure none of them are doing an Anglo, remortgaging their grounds to play some Kiwis or South Africans to play front row.
    8. Banning of the Jackal position at youth levels up to U15. Ruck over the player. If the ball doesn't come back - it's a turnover. Scrum.
    9. Tip only until U9.
    10. Rugby done by weight for all amateur levels.
    Most people when being talked to about competitions etc want more games as they don't feel they get enough so why do you want less games.
    Banning the jackal? Why? Its a key skill and should be rewarded.
    I disagree about tip only until u9. Its until u7 now and then you have tackling which must be below the waist.
    Weight grade rugby at all amateur levels is fantasyland. It just will not and cannot happen.
    11. Innovative scoring systems - more bonus points for tries etc at all amateur levels
    12. Banning of kicking of all sorts until U14. Even conversions.
    13. Development games to played in four quarters. Giving coaches times to
    coach players.
    14. At dev levels, player only to score twice.
    Banning kicking at all sorts at mini level perhaps but limiting it to certain areas of field should be permissible. Kicking shouldn't be outright banned as you lessen the chances for players to learn when to kick and when not to.
    When you say development games/levels what exactly are you referring to?
    15. Tap penalties - you must pass twice before tackle. Encourage fast passing and stop giving it to big man.
    16. Waist down tackles only until U15.
    17. An analysis of player injury at all levels. How did it happen? And an effort to ensure that any observable pattern that is causing injury is dealt with.
    Who is to do this player injury analysis? Where are you going to get all the stats? Who will compile them etc?

Irish Rugby does want to expand but there is inherent conservatism at most levels of the sport so dealing with that is a significant.
    Integrating schools players and clubs needs to happen but how do you propose to have schools and clubs in the one competition. That's just not feasible.

Its entirely feasible, you have divisions leading to a play off, for the first few years nothing will change, the usual schools will still be playing each other barring the odd shock, but the clubs will be playing a higher standard(thus improving) and the fact one does not need to go to a rugby school to play a high standard of rugby would help the myriad of players who just miss out on SC rugby to play at that level for a club.

There are no downsides aside from the schools monopoly being broken. You are basically just restructuring the season, the end result is the best teams still play each other in a play off and final. The same players will still be playing.

Answers....
    I disagree about tip only until u9. Its until u7 now and then you have tackling which must be below the waist.
    You're 100% wrong there. It's U8.
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/files/downloads/Youths_Handbook_14-15.pdf

And I don't care about people having different opinions, we're all opinionated and passionate. But, you should know any of the laws and regulations that are to do with safety.

I am pretty certain this was pointed out to you before.

In England it's U10. In Ireland it's U8. The IRB should decree here. And all Ref's / coaches should know it.

Could you imaging some J5 match being played with full scrums. It's not on.

How do you suggest that skerries team trains as often as schools sides such as Rock and Belvo? because those schools side shouldn't be made train less.
    It's not going to happen.

Just saying if you are a selector, you pick the best players. And a player of lesser skill who trains 6 days a week with a great coach, is going to be a better player than a player with more skill who only trains once a week with an average coach.

This means, the system allows players of higher ability to slip thru.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

It's not going to happen.

Just saying if you are a selector, you pick the best players. And a player of lesser skill who trains 6 days a week with a great coach, is going to be a better player than a player with more skill who only trains once a week with an average coach.

This means, the system allows players of higher ability to slip thru.
    Exactly this.

Schools sharing coaching staff with nearby clubs would help coach club players and develop them to a higher standard. This could be cost neutral if the schools were to co-operate.

Advertisement