Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway speed limits.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

XC90_D5 wrote: »
    140 is the default speed anyway. The M8 coming out of Cork is a perfect example. I often go 150 and that's keeping up with other traffic! A Passat even whizzed past me at that speed although I must say that BMW 5 series are the worst for speeding! It's just like the UK where the default speed is 80mph even though the speed limit is 70mph. Cars are getting faster and more capable of high speed (Mercedes 9 speed transmission allows you to drive at 200km at 2500rpm) and we're only going to get faster and faster...

I'm not down in Cork much but my experience in Dublin is people stick rather rigidly to 110/120 as indicated by their speedo. At 120/130 (by GPS) I'd be overtaking most traffic on a run down to Kilkenny.

Did follow the Mayor of Cork once (I assume he has the XXX-C-1 reg) his driver had his foot down a bit to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm not down in Cork much but my experience in Dublin is people stick rather rigidly to 110/120 as indicated by their speedo. At 120/130 (by GPS) I'd be overtaking most traffic on a run down to Kilkenny.

Did follow the Mayor of Cork once (I assume he has the XXX-C-1 reg) his driver had his foot down a bit to be fair.

I'd find the opposite actually... I drove to Carlow recently and after the M7 splits onto the M9 the average speed increases significantly (150+) for most cars it seemed.

The M7 seems to be mostly 100-130 (excluding congestion). The problem with the M7 is poor lane discipline, last minute weaving and cutting, and muppetry like tailgating in my experience

The M8 similarly seems to be 100-130 for the most part (I just drove it tonight) but far less busy most of the time so higher speeds are easily possible and less risk than the others

The car makes all the difference.. 120 km/h (or more) in a 1.3 FWD hatchback will actually feel a lot more "unstable" and dangerous than the same speeds in a 3L Quattro like my own A6 - a car which just eats up the miles and will feel like you're doing a lot less than you are if you don't keep an eye on it.

I don't overly concern myself about the limits though.. I drive appropriate for the conditions - so if the weather/surface is bad or I'm in a built-up area with a lot of pedestrians I'll almost certainly be doing less than whatever the sign might say, but equally if it's an almost deserted motorway late at night with maybe 10 mins of driving between cars, I won't overly worry about creeping a few km over the 120 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Jesus. wrote: »
    Has anyone driven an 80hp petrol car up and down modern Motorways for a sustained period of weeks? I did it recently and it damn near wore me out.

Mines only about 89bhp. Okay once l'm doing 120 she's at about 3.5k revs, but doesn't feel she's struggling. Drove Sligo to Cork City, on to Middleton and back, and it was pleasure the whole way. On the motorway and overtaking no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

XC90_D5 wrote: »
    Oh come on don't get offended...more often than not it's going to be an old person that will be driving slow and people do often go as slow as 60. They do on the M8 at least

That was six months ago, I might have got over it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

They should gradually increase the motorway speeds over the coming years. Start of at an increase to 130Kmph and see how it goes. If no major increase in accidents or dangerous driving then move it up to 140Kmph the following year until we get to unlimited speeds :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

digiman wrote: »
    They should gradually increase the motorway speeds over the coming years. Start of at an increase to 130Kmph and see how it goes. If no major increase in accidents or dangerous driving then move it up to 140Kmph the following year until we get to unlimited speeds :)
    Irish people on the whole do not know how to drove on a motorway. Until this is fixed, you cannot be allowing them to go even faster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

kbannon wrote: »
    Irish people on the whole do not know how to drove on a motorway. Until this is fixed, you cannot be allowing them to go even faster!

That's why you introduce it gradually.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's why you introduce it gradually.
    No. You need to educate people before you give them any increases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Irish are terrible drivers but that's due to the roads being quiet. Driving standards and awareness is probably better around larger cities but in saying that the difference is too great between the best and the worst drivers. On the M9 I see drivers doing 98kph and if your not paying attention you could easily rear end them. Then theirs the driver doing the speed limit and sits in the fast lane because he thinks he's entitled.
    Raising the speed limit would definitely lead to more accidents.
    I gave up the motorbike when I moved home it was just too dangerous the drivers have no awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Road design and engineering in Ireland does not lend itself to higher motorway speeds.
    Driver behaviour in Ireland does not lend itself to higher motorway speeds.
    Vehicle type in Ireland does not lend itself to higher motorway speeds.
    Lack of enforcement in Ireland does not lend itself to higher motorway speeds.

On the M9 I see drivers doing 98kph and if your not paying attention you could easily rear end them. .

That's not the fault of the Driver doing 98....98 is a respectable speed for many drivers.

Not fast lane please

all that money spent on the third lane and people like you still don't keep left. You are part of the problem.

all that money spent on the third lane and people like you still don't keep left. You are part of the problem.

Simplistic by the book answer that ignores the reality of the situation.

The reality is that trying to keep left on the M50/N7 means you'll be dealing with a constant stream of lumbering trucks, people shooting out over hatch markings from merges or dawdling in front of you at 60 km/h, people diving for their exit at the last minute, and people weaving in front of you as they lane-hop to get a car length ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Patww79 wrote: »

It's same on the N25 every morning and evening. Futile using the correct lanes. Ones travelling at about 60, the other about 100-120 with little if any opportunity to merge if you try and do it properly. You give up after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

That's not the fault of the Driver doing 98....98 is a respectable speed for many drivers.

Not fast lane please

I was using local lingo to make a point! I knows it's an overtaking lane.
    As for the speed just making a point between the range of speed on the motorway. I could just as easy said 70kph wasn't expecting someone to jump on that bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Jesus. wrote: »
    Has anyone driven an 80hp petrol car up and down modern Motorways for a sustained period of weeks? I did it recently and it damn near wore me out.

Yeah, me.
    Cinquecento 0.9 litre 40BHP.
    Had not problems with it at all.
    380909.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

^^^^
    looks like you are going warp speed in that picture:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I hope unlimited speeds never happen on Irish roads, because, overall, the standard of motorway driving is abysmal.
    And don't forget, just because some of the Autobahns are unrestricted, you can still get congestion and 3 lane crawling at peak time.
    And yes it is great walloping down the motorway at 200+ kph, but over a 30 km distance the time saving against a car travelling at 140 kph is not all that great.
    Then all it takes is one clown to not use their mirror before moving into your lane in front of you and you better hope that your brakes and tyres are in top condition, otherwise its black and brown skidmarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

At least th cooling system is working well at that speed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It really isn't about speed. I find I tend to put the foot down as I find the general stupidity annoying. At least when I'm going at a decent clip I'm overtaking most of the time.

Driving in France I'd rarely do above the speed limit. Everyone has outstanding lane discipline and only uses the overtaking lanes to overtake. They then pull back in. I find simply popping the cruise control on and relaxing a much more pleasant experience than playing dodge the Culchie or L plate driver or my favourite motorway wanker the 'I''m doing the speed limit so I'll stay in the outside lane'.

You get to your destination quicker and with less stress there than here, simply because people are using the motorway properly. It should be a requirement that N drivers complete 4 hours mandatory motorway lessons within the first year IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

In fairness, there is nothing more tiring (being a daily user of the M50) than having to execute 4 lane changes to overtake one dimwit hogging the centre, below average speeds. Multiply that by up to and over half the cars you will encounter. Until people are pulled over for it and more awareness is brought to the issue, nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

They could put those overhead warning signs to good use by reminding people to keep left, pass right.
    Instead of telling us that there is water on the ground when it raining :rolleyes:

K.Flyer wrote: »
    They could put those overhead warning signs to good use by reminding people to keep left, pass right.
    Instead of telling us that there is water on the ground when it raining :rolleyes:

I always take those signs as meaning "despite costing a fortune, we did such a piss-poor job of drainage on this road that you should be ready for spot flooding" - certainly the case on the M50 anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Mines only about 89bhp. Okay once l'm doing 120 she's at about 3.5k revs, but doesn't feel she's struggling. Drove Sligo to Cork City, on to Middleton and back, and it was pleasure the whole way. On the motorway and overtaking no bother.

I am sure you are being genuine Mr Mint but I find that very hard to believe. Unless you have a different idea of 'pleasure' than me! The car I was in was rated at 85hp so similar to yours.

Maybe I've just gotten spoiled by diesel engines in recent years :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

CiniO wrote: »
    Yeah, me. Cinquecento 0.9 litre 40BHP. Had not problems with it at all.

Cinio why am I not surprised!! You also had no problems towing a horsebox in a 1.4 Golf once!

You belong to a different era Cinio when men were men and they'd be pulling 2 tonnes of weight up hills in a 65hp Cortina, smoking a fag and without so much as a bead of sweat on their forehead :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Driving in France I'd rarely do above the speed limit. Everyone has outstanding lane discipline and only uses the overtaking lanes to overtake. They then pull back in.

I couldn't disagree more regarding French drivers. I spent a good year there (Brittany), and a few months around Metz, and the drivers were terrible for hogging the overtaking lane, even to the point where I saw it take about 5 minutes for an ambulance (with lights flashing and siren blasting) to get past a car in the overtaking lane doing about 81 km/h, while overtaking other (extremely well spaced out traffic, so more than enough gaps to pull in and let the ambulance pass) that was doing about 79/80 km/h, and didn't pull back in until about 200 metres up the road!! I couldn't believe it.

I experienced this with overtaking lane hoggers all the time, even when lane 1 was clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I would like to see it go to 140 but never will happen. I don't often use cruise control at all now simply because i don't trust other drivers. Id use it if road empty like at night etc. Lane hoggers are the worst, slow everything up, then its people weaving in and out of the lanes just to get a few meters ahead, which was proven in Mythbusters was not that effective, and also lack of indicator use. They come standard with a car and are free to use so why don't people use them?

Advertisement