Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway speed limits.

Options
  • 27-09-2015 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

A motorway speed limit of 120 kph seems abysmally low. When I'm on the motorway with my OH, we'd often accidentally creep over 145 kph (if we're observing around us, instead of being glued to the speedometer), and we'd have to brake again back to 120 (in case of the speed cameras) which feels like we're at a standstill.

It's my opinion that dangerous driving habits cause more accidents that exceeding the speed limit such as lane-hogging and not using mirrors and driving much slower than the majority of traffic is probably more dangerous too.

I feel that a speed limit of 160 km/h would be adequate. Perhaps with dynamic speed limit signs that vary with the weather conditions.

If I'm not mistaken, the limit in Italy stands at 150 km/h and there is obviously no limit on certain stretches of German autobahn.

Would you all be in favour of increasing our speed limits?

Increasing speed limits? 162 votes

No, 120 is fine.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, 140
    27% 44 votes
    Yes, 160
    45% 74 votes
    Yes, 180
    19% 31 votes
    Yes, 200
    2% 4 votes
    Are you joking, my car is a POS!
    5% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Not while people need flashy light signs to tell them it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

I really don't want to come up behind a Massey Ferguson while doing 150kph.

It's frightening enough at 120....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Let's as a nation learn how to drive on the left first.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A very significant percentage of Irish drivers have poor observational skills, poor driving abilities, poor knowledge of the rules on dual carriageway's.
    The law needs to factor in these people unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Not until driver training improves. New drivers in this country are ill equipped to drive at 120, let alone above it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Not while people need flashy light signs to tell them it's raining.

And when even with dense fog, ppl still can't drive at an appropriate speed

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/garda%C3%AD-say-speeding-in-fog-caused-motorway-pile-ups-1.1294383

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I agree with the last few posts. We're not really equipped to handle higher speeds. I also think that the fact that we've just two lanes would make a higher limit very dangerous. Most places abroad that have higher limits have three lanes.

On the weather conditions point the French motorways have a 130 kph limit but this automatically comes down to 110 when it rains. Could you imagine that here? Not, by the way, that the French obey it too much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

One of the issues is you've got to take in a large range of vehicle types and driving skills.

A lot of small cars feel *very fast* at 120kmh.
    Where as more powerful, heavier cars with better control and road holding often wouldn't have any issue with 160kmh

Driver skills are a big deal too. Would most drivers be safe at those speeds? You already get idiots tailgating at 120+ in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A motorway speed limit of 120 kph seems abysmally low.
    I concur with the comments of previous posters. Typical road user behaviour and training is too poor.
    When I'm on the motorway with my OH, we'd often accidentally creep over 145 kph (if we're observing around us, instead of being glued to the speedometer),
    You should be able to get your car / GPS device to beep at the typical speed limit changes.
    we'd have to brake again back to 120 (in case of the speed cameras)
    Braking seems harsh, just ease off on the accelerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I think if speed limits on motorways in Ireland were abandoned so anyone could travel as fast as they wish, following things would happen:
    1. Amount of accidents and people injured or killed, wouldn't change.
    2. Most people would still drive at speeds they drive now, which very often are lower than 120km/h.
    3. Those driving faster would quickly learn about unpredictiness of other drivers and due to that focus properly during driving.
    4. Those how change lanes without looking, etc, would quickly learn they really can't do it, as it might be really dangerous.

Generally, I think they would be rather only positive sides of that.

And I would be definitely for abandoning speed limit on motorways.
    I would even abandon it on N and R and L roads. Just keep speed limit in built up areas and enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Senecio wrote: »
    Not until driver training improves. New drivers in this country are ill equipped to drive at 120, let alone above it.

Yes because old drivers are perfect. Have a look at the drivers doing 80 km/h in the middle lane on any motorway. 99.9% of the time it's the polar opposite of a new driver.

5W30 wrote: »
    Yes because old drivers are perfect. Have a look at the drivers doing 80 km/h in the middle lane on any motorway. 99.9% of the time it's the polar opposite of a new driver.
    New drivers can be young or old, so your point doesn't really apply.

The point was made to distinguish between new drivers from experienced drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Victor wrote: »
    New drivers can be young or old, so your point doesn't really apply.

The point was made to distinguish between new drivers from experienced drivers.

Plenty of "experienced" middle lane hoggers out there ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

120 km/h limit means you more or less get away with 140. If you raise it to 150 people will do 180 while others still do 80 cos thats all they're comfortable with. That'd be a bit dangerous with just two lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Boskowski wrote: »
    120 km/h limit means you more or less get away with 140. If you raise it to 150 people will do 180 while others still do 80 cos thats all they're comfortable with. That'd be a bit dangerous with just two lanes.

How do drivers get away with driving at much higher speeds on 2 lane motorways in Germany?
    I'd risk saying that most unrestricted sections are 2 lanes. It's even safer to drive fast on 2 lanes than 3 lanes as there's less possible scenarios to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Until the Gardai enforce all the other motorways laws/rules such as

NO Learner drivers

NO Slow vehicles ie below 50kph

The keep-left rule applies unless overtaking

No stopping at any time

Only vehicles that can travel faster than 90 km/h (56 mph) may use the outside lane

You may not drive on the hard-shoulder

unril then is there no point raising the speed limit it's just too dangerous going from 160kph to 80kph .

Also driving on a motorway at a reasonanble speed should be part of the practical driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

CiniO wrote: »
    How do drivers get away with driving at much higher speeds on 2 lane motorways in Germany?
    I'd risk saying that most unrestricted sections are 2 lanes. It's even safer to drive fast on 2 lanes than 3 lanes as there's less possible scenarios to happen.
    Generally, Germans know how to drive, especially on motorways. Also you will never come across a tractor or people on the hard shoulder having a slash.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kbannon wrote: »
    A very significant percentage of Irish drivers have poor observational skills, poor driving abilities, poor knowledge of the rules on dual carriageway's.
    The law needs to factor in these people unfortunately.

I agree, so many people are incapable of paying attention to what seem like small but very important details.

A good example of this is op driving over 20km/hour over the limit and not noticing it,

If you don't know what speed you're driving at, then you're incapable of paying attention to other details properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A motorway speed limit of 120 kph seems abysmally low. When I'm on the motorway with my OH, we'd often accidentally creep over 145 kph (if we're observing around us, instead of being glued to the speedometer), and we'd have to brake again back to 120 (in case of the speed cameras) which feels like we're at a standstill.

It's my opinion that dangerous driving habits cause more accidents that exceeding the speed limit such as lane-hogging and not using mirrors and driving much slower than the majority of traffic is probably more dangerous too.

I feel that a speed limit of 160 km/h would be adequate. Perhaps with dynamic speed limit signs that vary with the weather conditions.

If I'm not mistaken, the limit in Italy stands at 150 km/h and there is obviously no limit on certain stretches of German autobahn.

Would you all be in favour of increasing our speed limits?

Whilst I may occasionally exceed the posted speed limit on M and N roads I always know what speed I'm doing. If you're exceeding the limit by 25km/h and don't notice I think you should be paying more attention to the road and less to inside the car. If you pay as little attention to driving at 120km/h I really don't want to be on a road with you where the limit is nearly 100mp/h.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Whilst I may occasionally exceed the posted speed limit on M and N roads I always know what speed I'm doing. If you're exceeding the limit by 25km/h and don't notice I think you should be paying more attention to the road and less to inside the car. If you pay as little attention to driving at 120km/h I really don't want to be on a road with you where the limit is nearly 100mp/h.

Quit talking nonsense. Just because you know your speed when you're exceeding the limit doesn't mean you're doing anything more or less dangerous than the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Jesus. wrote: »
    Quit talking nonsense.

Physician, heal thyself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,115 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If I'm not mistaken, the limit in Italy stands at 150 km/h
    You are mistaken.
    Italien motorways are currently 130km/h. 110km/h in the rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

no one said it yet,....OP, 145 on your speedo is probably about 130 t0 135 in reality so you don't need to slow so much and you certainly don't need to brake, just lift off a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

no one said it yet,....OP, 145 on your speedo is probably about 130 t0 135 in reality so you don't need to slow so much and you certainly don't need to brake, just lift off a little.

This is not very scientific. When I drive at 120 on my speedo my gps says 118 to 119.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

I think if speed limits on motorways in Ireland were abandoned so anyone could travel as fast as they wish, following things would happen:
    1. Amount of accidents and people injured or killed, wouldn't change.
    2. Most people would still drive at speeds they drive now, which very often are lower than 120km/h.
    3. Those driving faster would quickly learn about unpredictiness of other drivers and due to that focus properly during driving.
    4. Those how change lanes without looking, etc, would quickly learn they really can't do it, as it might be really dangerous.

Generally, I think they would be rather only positive sides of that.

And I would be definitely for abandoning speed limit on motorways.
    I would even abandon it on N and R and L roads. Just keep speed limit in built up areas and enforce it.

1. Amount of accidents and people injured or killed, wouldn't change. In general, it probably wouldn't change much, maybe slight increase but imagine an accident at higher speed. Pile up will be more severe and will probably involve more cars as they may not stop in time. That's not even mentioning people driving the wrong way on motorway sometimes!
    2. Most people would still drive at speeds they drive now, which very often are lower than 120km/h. If you are allowed to drive faster, most will generally drive faster. With two lanes only, if you have some bonkers driving at 80kph for what ever reason vs another person driving at 140-150 kph, depending on scenario, I think chances of accident happening could be higher due to speed difference when coupled with people not paying attention or drive with care
    3. Those driving faster would quickly learn about unpredictiness of other drivers and due to that focus properly during driving. A driver can learn about unpredictable actions of others but that does not mean idiots won't be on the road. If it comes to idiots forcing onto your path, there is not much you can do at that speed sometimes
    4. Those how change lanes without looking, etc, would quickly learn they really can't do it, as it might be really dangerous. If those that change lane without looking are driving, do you really think they will give two ****s about dangerous driving and cutting into a faster lane? They will still do it regardless IMO.

I think you need to think it through again.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jesus. wrote: »
    Quit talking nonsense. Just because you know your speed when you're exceeding the limit doesn't mean you're doing anything more or less dangerous than the OP.

When I'm driving I concentrate on the driving. Finding yourself exceeding the limit by 25k is not concentrating on driving. Lack of attention when driving is dangerous. I couldn't give a toss what speed someone drives at once they know what speed they are going and its suitable for the road conditions.

A few things:
    * In Germany, the driving test is arduous and it can take two years and thousands of euros to get your driving licence. In Ireland, it also takes two years and thousands of euros, but that's because people don't take it seriously.
    * In Germany, people tend to follow the rules.
    * Until recently, Germany had highish levels of road deaths.
    * In 2012, 358 people died on German motorways, 5 died on Irish motorways. that's 72 times the level of motorway deaths, with only 18 times the population and 12 times the amount of motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Gardai with another checkpoint on the motorway Saturday am. M1 South J5.
    Traffic tailed back off the motorway.

Apparently for checking drink driving and L drivers.

Now while still being over the limit mid morning and getting into a car is inexcusable and L drivers at this stage should know to stay off the motorway but for the Gardai to be setting up checkpoints on possibly the the 2nd busiest motorway is just pure stupidity imo.
    This is the 3rd time.
    Will it take a pile up for them to realise what they are causing.

Can't imagine the impact of someone coming down the motorway ,with no speed limits, at 180kph to be suddenly in a situation of a heap of brake lights lighting up before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dartz wrote: »
    I really don't want to come up behind a Massey Ferguson while doing 150kph.

It's frightening enough at 120....

Were you on the Rathnew bypass last weekend? I passed one pulling a baler there,he didn't even have the courtesy to drive in the hard shoulder.Illegal and downright dangerous,it's a pity the squad car in front of my had turned off into Rathnew,that would have been an interesting conversation with the tractor driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Victor wrote: »
    A few things:

* In 2012, 358 people died on German motorways, 5 died on Irish motorways. that's 72 times the level of motorway deaths, with only 18 times the population and 12 times the amount of motorway.

Ah come on. Germany also has 20x the population and far far more road milage. Give me the number of deaths per 1000 km of motorway. Your numbers are not comparable.

One thing Ireland does need is motorway driving to be on the test. I finally passed my driving test about 3-4 years ago and immediately I'm allowed on the motorway, with no mandatory practice/experience.

Driving around Naas for 40 mins doesn't test your driving abilities at 120 kph.

Advertisement