Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Garda Drink Driving Advert on RTE

Options
  • 17-03-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think of the latest (well I think its latest, only just seen it meself today) Garda Drink drive campaign TV Advert - I suppose its done deliberately not in a professional 'polished' way with real actors but I suppose they wanted to make it look and feel realistic of what it would be like if you got caught.

https://youtu.be/Ws-iNxoHsRc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I think it's good and that it really hits home huw much it will affect your life if you drink n drive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

At this point I'm of the opinion that anyone who drinks and drives and ends up killing themselves deserves it and have no sympathy at all.

If you drink and drive and kill someone, you can rot in a 4x4 jail cell for the rest of your life.

There is literally no excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

how comes when I put a youtube video in the youtube video tags does it never work on boards.ie ... does anyone know? - it always just says 'an error has occurred , please try later' and never plays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

how comes when I put a youtube video in the youtube video tags does it never work on boards.ie ... does anyone know? - it always just says 'an error has occurred , please try later' and never plays

Yep me too.

Dev was talking about something similar on the Helpdesk, might have been feedback was genna get the techies to look at it

Edit: On mine the playback is disallowed by the video owner - so yeah its you Andy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought it was great. More realistic than the usual ****e or barrel rolling a car over a wall into a kids party or whatever crap they used to have.

Funny though, Red Rock (that woeful gardai soap on TV3) was on, neither me or the wife was watching, it was just on in the background. But during an ad break, that drink driving ad came on. We thought it was Red Rock starting back on and a main character was caught drink driving, but we were both looked up and started watching and were both saying how the acting and production had improved and it actually seemed much better than before. Then the ad ended , garda logo came on so we knew it was an ad, and Red Rock came back on and it was basically Fair City with gardai uniforms with bad actors and bad dialogue and it all made sense.

TLDR, TV3 need to hire the "actors" and guys who made the ad to make Red Rock

• Advertisement

I love the way you are arrested, bunged in a jail, then released so you can be on your merry way to go to a pub and get bladdered again (and maybe get back in a car and kill someone next time) or try to abscond the country or not turn up for court case - (my comment sarcastic by the way) - they should arrest the drink drivers and keep the offending drink driver locked up in custody until the court date! (harsh aint I?) - theres enough warnings about drink driving these days and if people choose to ignore or play russian roulette to whether they get caught or not if they are caught they should expect hard times and their liberty to be in jeopardy, it might may more people think even more about doing it

Yep me too.

Dev was talking about something similar on the Helpdesk, might have been feedback was genna get the techies to look at it

Edit: On mine the playback is disallowed by the video owner - so yeah its you Andy ;)

ah right do you know what it might be, i think I turned off / unticked 'allow embedding' ... that might be it

ah right do you know what it might be, i think I turned off / unticked 'allow embedding' ... that might be it

I'm not very technical :o, ever since computers started to bore me stupid around the mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

In this particular fictious example, the driver has a 63mg and 64mg reading, so he gets a 200 euro fine and three penalty points.

In the UK with those amounts, you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I saw it over in my Sister's place and I was so upset I had to have a few beers to steady myself for the drive home.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I thought it was great. More realistic than the usual ****e or barrel rolling a car over a wall into a kids party or whatever crap they used to have.

Funny though, Red Rock (that woeful gardai soap on TV3) was on, neither me or the wife was watching, it was just on in the background. But during an ad break, that drink driving ad came on. We thought it was Red Rock starting back on and a main character was caught drink driving, but we were both looked up and started watching and were both saying how the acting and production had improved and it actually seemed much better than before. Then the ad ended , garda logo came on so we knew it was an ad, and Red Rock came back on and it was basically Fair City with gardai uniforms with bad actors and bad dialogue and it all made sense.

TLDR, TV3 need to hire the "actors" and guys who made the ad to make Red Rock

haha that was so funny - could just imagine it. Luv the part about fair city in Garda uniform :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

daRobot wrote: »
    In this particular fictious example, the driver has a 63mg and 64mg reading, so he gets a 200 euro fine and three penalty points.

Nope. Limit is 23 micrograms, so he was well over. He'd have been well over in the UK too. I think the limit is 35 micrograms in the UK. It's in or around that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

The guard says to him you are being charged on this date at navan road station, but at the end of the ad he walks out of Pearse St. It's a good ad though.

Archeron wrote: »
    The guard says to him you are being charged on this date at navan road station, but at the end of the ad he walks out of Pearse St. It's a good ad though.

Store Street Garda station. The offence was apparently committed on the Navan Rd, although it looked a lot more like Amiens St :p

The guard had probably been drinking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Rothmans wrote: »
    Nope. Limit is 23 micrograms, so he was well over. He'd have been well over in the UK too. I think the limit is 35 micrograms in the UK. It's in or around that anyway.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Drink-Driving/Drink-Driving-Limits-and-Recommendations-/

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/drink-driving

The guard had probably been drinking too.

Friend of mine swears he was in a car in the Quays in Dublin in the 80s that slammed into a squad car. Garda jumped out and said to the driver of my friends car "you've been drinking". At which point the driver said "you've been drinking too...and I won't lose my job". Whereupon the a Garda got back into his car and drove off and no more was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Rothmans wrote: »

See the post with links above and you'll see I'm correct with my figures.

sussed it, when i copied the share link it said youtube.com/watch - when I pasted into Boards.ie it changed it to you.tube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Why would a man who's shirt says "Genius at work" spend all his day watching drink driving ads on telly?

• Advertisement

Friend of mine swears he was in a car in the Quays in Dublin in the 80s that slammed into a squad car. Garda jumped out and said to the driver of my friends car "you've been drinking". At which point the driver said "you've been drinking too...and I won't lose my job". Whereupon the a Garda got back into his car and drove off and no more was said.

I have no doubt in believing it! ... especially in the 80's/90's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

I think a good punch line would be ....

Remember kids, to drink and drive,

you need a car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I'm not watching that, I still get traumatic flashbacks to the ones from the '90s. Those things needed a watershed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Samaris wrote: »
    I'm not watching that, I still get traumatic flashbacks to the ones from the '90s. Those things needed a watershed.

This new one is more realistic, no gore or over-the-top dramatics at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Have to admit, when I see the drink-drive ads with real people who were in an accident whilst they themselves were drink-driving and are in wheelchairs etc.; I feel no pity for them.

I still quite like this drink drive advert from UK a few years back - great acting:

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Have to admit, when I see the drink-drive ads with real people who were in an accident whilst they themselves were drink-driving and are in wheelchairs etc.; I feel no pity for them.

Theres one with a young lad in a wheelchair and he says "now ironically I sound drunk all the time!" .....

See the post with links above and you'll see I'm correct with my figures.

:confused: I think you'll find you're not! From the link
    What are the existing legal limits?

The legal limits for fully licenced drivers in Category B are:

50 milligrammes (mg) of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood (0.05)
    67 milligrammes (mg) of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine or
    22 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath

And the UK link
    What's the law on drink driving in England and Wales?In England and Wales, the alcohol limit for drivers is 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, 35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath or 107 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭onform

Hope the Guard gave him an Irish language printout of the intoxylser result,or else he's off the hook...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/drinkdrive-cases-adjourned-after-irishlanguage-legal-claim-31106384.html

• Advertisement

I have no doubt in believing it! ... especially in the 80's/90's

Hence I never get too judgemental about the offence.

I did it, most of my friends did it. Sure none if us would do it now, but back in the 80s and early 90s in rural Ireland...it was just done wholesale. In those days you could be stopped, as I was, and had the local Garda roll his eyes and say go home and cop on. You pretty much had to be caught a few times before they'd bag you. Now there has been a whole culture change about the offence.

Advertisement