Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite hot sauce?

• 29-02-2016 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Whats your favourite hot sauce? Ive only ever tried Franks but i see Sriracha is popular. Anyone tried them both? Is there much of a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭squonk

Sriracha is pretty good for asian dishes and it's nice with chips. My favourite though is Cholula and especially their Chipotle variety.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Franks is quite vinegary, whereas sriracha has no vinegar taste at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Franks and Sriracha would be my two favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

For non asian sauces, big fan of the cholula chipotle sauce but encona is by far the best.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I put Sriracha in pasta and on pizza, it's grand for that. Encona extra hot for chicken wings and other food.

Can't get on with Franks at all. Too watery and sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

If it's not Insanity Sauce, it's not worth the effort. Everything else is just different flavour tabasco - they have their uses (and some are tasty enough), but hot-sauce they ain't.

OP, treat yourself:

Proper Stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Faith wrote: »
    Franks is quite vinegary, whereas sriracha has no vinegar taste at all.

Franks have a chicken wing version, which is orange coloured and far nicer than their regular one.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Franks have a chicken wing version, which is orange coloured and far nicer than their regular one.
    Their wing sauce is just the regular sauce with artificial butter flavour added.
    The regular one with real butter added for wings is a lot nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

There's at least a couple of different versions of Sriracha. One from the USA and one asian one. Possibly more. General consensus seems to be that the one from the USA is the best. I dislike them both really.

Tabasco is good, Cholula is better and Encona is better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭Tefral

Mellor wrote: »
    Their wing sauce is just the regular sauce with artificial butter flavour added.
    The regular one with real butter added for wings is a lot nicer.

Exactly. If you simmer the sauce with the butter it thickens nicely and burns off the vinegar taste

If you haven't heard of Mics Chilli in Wicklow look it up. Their inferno sauces are very tasty. Go for the full four chilli one it's got 12 red habanero in it.

I dust my chicken wings in corn flower and fry. Then add the butter to the franks in a pot and simmer. I add the inferno sauce then and coat the wings. Delicious.

• Advertisement

There's at least a couple of different versions of Sriracha. One from the USA and one asian one. Possibly more. General consensus seems to be that the one from the USA is the best. I dislike them both really.
    Sriracha is a city in thailand where the sauce is said to have originated. It's not a brand per se but a type of sauce. There are countless producers I'd say, at least 10 different ones in my local shop.

The US one you mention is a particular american company set up years ago that sold their sauce branded simply as sriracha, taking over the market. Like if years ago an italian immigrant set up a company selling "Bolognese Sauce" and became the standard pasta sauce in america.

They must be known even in thailand as I've seen bottle of sriracha from thailand copying the US brand's Rooster logo.
    cronin_j wrote: »
    Exactly. If you simmer the sauce with the butter it thickens nicely and burns off the vinegar taste
    The vinegar taste is one of the reason I like it so much. No simmer for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Jaden wrote: »
    If it's not Insanity Sauce, it's not worth the effort. Everything else is just different flavour tabasco - they have their uses (and some are tasty enough), but hot-sauce they ain't.

OP, treat yourself:

Proper Stuff

You couldn't be more right. All these other ones in Ireland are piss poor.

Some of the American ones are incredibly hot. Deadly on a few sausage rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Couple of drops of Blair's Ultra Death dropped into a big vat of slow cooked chilli. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've found that a combination of Sriracha and Cholula at about 50/50 is just about perfection when it comes to hot sauce, as one gets the taste buds at the tip of your tongue and the other seems to get them right to the back, so the two combined is like a little hot sauce party in your mouth. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭squonk

I've Crystal Louisianna Hot Sauce at home and it strikes me as just a variation on Franks tbh. It's nice but I wouldn't go mad looking for Crystal again if I could just grab Franks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I like Kankun Habanero Sauce. Only need a small bit of it or I've got tears streaming down my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

cronin_j wrote: »

If you haven't heard of Mics Chilli in Wicklow look it up. Their inferno sauces are very tasty. Go for the full four chilli one it's got 12 red habanero in it.

I dust my chicken wings in corn flower and fry. Then add the butter to the franks in a pot and simmer. I add the inferno sauce then and coat the wings. Delicious.

I've just bought the extreme inferno (12 habaneros) and the one with 8 habaneros. They're good. Had them with wings.
    I do love chilli sauce with texture, like Fortune's crispy chilli, or Chiu Chow ones. But as long as they're spicy, I'm all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I've just bought the extreme inferno (12 habaneros) and the one with 8 habaneros. They're good. Had them with wings.
    I do love chilli sauce with texture, like Fortune's crispy chilli, or Chiu Chow ones. But as long as they're spicy, I'm all set.

Snap Mrs F! Just about to post about about Extreme Inferno. Bought it a few days ago and been waiting to try it on something. Had to make do with Fish & Chips!!! Deep earthy flavour and the heat builds up on you.

F6F9F1D2-56A1-48DA-B73E-E591248D3416_zps4ixbt9yj.jpg

I understand the appeal of superhot chillis sauce when uou are putting them directly on something. Like fish and chips, or on top of a taco.

But whats the point of the very pure extracts, and that can only be used by adding a tiny amount them to large pots of chilli. Why not use a more palatable sauce in a normal amount? we are at the point now where companies/labs can isolate he pure capsaicin extract. It's more chemical then foodstuff I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Snap Mrs F! Just about to post about about Extreme Inferno. Bought it a few days ago and been waiting to try it on something. Had to make do with Fish & Chips!!! Deep earthy flavour and the heat builds up on you.

F6F9F1D2-56A1-48DA-B73E-E591248D3416_zps4ixbt9yj.jpg
    Where to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There's at least a couple of different versions of Sriracha. One from the USA and one asian one. Possibly more. General consensus seems to be that the one from the USA is the best..
    The popular US one is "Huy Fong Foods" brand. I really like it. It says it clearly on the bottle, as said others copied the rooster logo so look out.

Sriracha-maker-in-hot-water-with-city_strict_xxl.jpg
    But whats the point of the very pure extracts, and that can only be used by adding a tiny amount them to large pots of chilli. Why not use a more palatable sauce in a normal amount? we are at the point now where companies/labs can isolate he pure capsaicin extract. It's more chemical then foodstuff I imagine.
    I don't get it either, maybe they simply do not really like the taste of chillis and are only after the heat, like people who do not particularly like the taste of beer and so stick to very bland tasting ones -really only being after the alcohol effect. Or do people find a great difference in taste between brands when adding just a few drops to a big pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Where to buy?

I got it in our local Fresh Market in Marino. If you look at their FB page, they mention their stockists ......
    https://m.facebook.com/micschilli/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Somebody else

The pure food company banshee sauce is awesome, the guys grow their own ingredients, no additives. A bit pricey but it's worth it.

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't get it either, maybe they simply do not really like the taste of chillis and are only after the heat, like people who do not particularly like the taste of beer and so stick to very bland tasting ones -really only being after the alcohol effect. Or do people find a great difference in taste between brands when adding just a few drops to a big pot?

Chilli flavour aside. I just don't get the point of dealing with "drops" of chemical essence when its going to be diluted by litres of sauce anyway.

Using the alcohol example, it's like using a superstrength 1000% ABV Vodka (not technically possible, I know). Where 1ml was equal a shot of regular vodka. Obviously too strong to drink neat, so a drop added to a glass of coke.

Which ends up being the same ABV as a regular vodka and coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

k2-_81697b0d-294d-4795-8479-1484b5bfadad.v1.jpg

I came across this recently (I'm not in Ireland).

It's an interesting one - your typical hot wings sauce, but with a creamy texture. I think where other sauces add butter, this one has cream added. Still fairly hot, though, which is surprising.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

rubadub wrote: »
    The popular US one is "Huy Fong Foods" brand. I really like it. It says it clearly on the bottle, as said others copied the rooster logo so look out.

The Huy Fong one has a distinctive green cap but I've noticed the rooster logo copied a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

Tabasco (yeah, I said it)

I got Louisiana Hot Sauce off Amazon before and loved it, I'm fond of Crystal hot sauce too, it seems to be available in all the Asian shops, apparently it's very popular in Saudi Arabia.

When it comes to the thicker style sauce, I like Cholua but Mic's is great, it's an Irish company and the art design is killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Chilli flavour aside. I just don't get the point of dealing with "drops" of chemical essence when its going to be diluted by litres of sauce anyway.

i agree :)

franks for chicken
    Sriracha as dip

Advertisement