Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh how it can change in March. 5.2c at the moment. Little or no wind. And a clear blue delicious sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

If the current BBC graphics for early tomorrow morning could be believed, many parts of the east and East Midlands could be in for a treat tomorrow.

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath for low lying coastal areas but further inland and upland is likely to be very interesting.

That being said, how far West the precip reaches is also critical. Evaporative cooling will also play an important role due to this possible event being so knife edged which means that the precip will also need to fairly heavy to make it more wintry and more crucially, for it to stick.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like today's rain has pretty much disappeared!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just waiting on the 06z NMM around 12 .. if it still looks promising for the east i'll open a new thread.
    #cautiouslyoptimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Would love a nice spring, no winds and dry weather.

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Just waiting on the 06z NMM around 12 .. if it still looks promising for the east i'll open a new thread.
    #cautiouslyoptimistic

The lack of a new thread is not making me feel very optimistic :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the ITV weather just showed Leinster all covered in white overnight. Ive a feeling tho that it will just turn out like the other night, wet sleety crap with flakes of snow mixed in and just a cold wet mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'm surprised with a met eireann warning that a new thread hasn't been open?
    Certainly cold enough over night with uppers -6 and lower.
    Whether ppn will be strong enough is the big question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

To me it looks like an hour or two of snow tomorrow morning (probably wet on the coast) followed by a rise in temp of 4/5 degrees as soon as the wind turns to the NNE. Raw with strong NNE winds all day.

patneve2 wrote: »
    To me it looks like an hour or two of snow tomorrow morning (probably wet on the coast) followed by a rise in temp of 4/5 degrees as soon as the wind turns to the NNE. Raw with strong NNE winds all day.

That's around about my thinking with regards to low lying areas (away from the coast). Over 100/150m or so, I reckon there could be a longer spell of decent snow and above about 200/250m I would say it could be very decent indeed.....that's my take on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The BBC precipitation radar shows a lot of snow over the east and midlands on Friday Morning. Although it seems to have overplayed the extent of snow on Tuesday. The problem is we've never had a direct feed of cold air to tap into all winter. At this time of year we need it even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

After a lovely morning its been a miserable afternoon/evening here, Rain for most of it, and cold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

DOCARCH wrote: »

What rain?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

DOCARCH wrote: »

Don't speak too soon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So it is possible with the SSW event now confirmed that spring will be delayed further. After an intial warmup, courtesy of the Azores high coming close to us, there are hints of high latitude blocking after mid month, but it just seems to late for proper cold at that stage. A cold April anyone?
    By the way where is the poster redsunset these days? His posts about the state of the stratosphere were good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So, it snowed. 4.1c now with a 'ow of 0.1c overnight.

The amount of snow is pretty harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is there a thread tracking the possible Sunday night snow? Threads are a bit fragmented at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MJohnston wrote: »
    Is there a thread tracking the possible Sunday night snow? Threads are a bit fragmented at the minute!

No there's not.

If there was one, It wouldn't be too hard to find though.

What would be helpful, is if when new threads are made about weather events that the links are posted here, as I Often miss them.

Heavy shower passed through here in West Clare causing the temperature to absolutely plummet. At 4pm it was a pleasant 8.9c outside, it's now 5.1c, representing an amazing drop of 4.8c in 15 minutes.

Temperature still dropping too.

So it is possible with the SSW event now confirmed that spring will be delayed further. After an intial warmup, courtesy of the Azores high coming close to us, there are hints of high latitude blocking after mid month, but it just seems to late for proper cold at that stage. A cold April anyone?
    By the way where is the poster redsunset these days? His posts about the state of the stratosphere were good

Well I do not want one to take place but it definitely will.

Grange snowfall this morning I woke up to in this attachment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cold at least its not raining but not very spring like

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice cold sunny day here near Tralee with a sometimes fresh wind from the NNW and an extra touch of Spring with the first Frog spawn in my pond this year :)

EuECShl.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Just had a dusting of snow, came out of nowhere, nothing showing on radar.

Damp cool dull morning akin to Dec not March. Not much sign of spring yet tbh.

Damp cool dull morning akin to Dec not March. Not much sign of spring yet tbh.

And you won't see any proper Spring weather 'til May, sorry... :(.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    And you won't see any proper Spring weather 'til May, sorry... :(.

Oh I know May will see spring weather until September then we'll be back to late autumn weather for the next 8 months.

Oh I know May will see spring weather until September then we'll be back to late autumn weather for the next 8 months.

Like if May isn't pleasant... I'm done! We have suffered way too many poor Mays for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Flirting with snowfall here for the last couple of hours. Switching between icey rain and very wet snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Actually quite a nice morning here in D7, nothing as nice as yesterday turned out to be, but calm and not threatening to rain is an improvement on most of the last few months' weather.

• Advertisement

Its now horrible here. Teaming down with rain and bitter cold temperatures around 3 degrees. Very little sign of nature acknowledging spring yet. My garden is ruined my daffodils a hide and muck every where.

Advertisement