Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

• 02-03-2016 1:17pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I know there's a thread on recommending Whiskeys/Whiskys but there's none on general tasting as far as I can see.

Similar premise to the beer thread, but we'll say month instead of week as drinking a €50/60 bottle of Whiskey/Whisky a week is probably not a good idea...

I picked up a bottle of The Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve on my travels recently. No age statement.

Not the most complex Whisky in the world. It's quite nice though, smooth and fruity, very strong taste of pears, and a tiny bit of spice. Drank with a splash of water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Currently on a Powers 3 Swallows buzz, think it's beautiful.
    Might personally be closer to the week than the month mark myself unfortunately! :o:o
    Dipping into Jameson black barrel as well though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have only bought two bottles since Christmas as I went a bit mad beforehand but as my bottle bin is starting to look a tribute to Fr Jack I'll have to start again soon.

The two were a replacement Black Bush for the conventional drinking shelf and a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel which is exceptional for what it is - not exceptionally dear, 51.4% and Japanese.

Also in the "to be finished" pile is a bottle of Laphroig QA which is interesting - has all the front punch of Laphroig but none of the later tastes really. Probably due to being rather young.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

L1011 wrote: »
    Have only bought two bottles since Christmas as I went a bit mad beforehand but as my bottle bin is starting to look a tribute to Fr Jack I'll have to start again soon.

The two were a replacement Black Bush for the conventional drinking shelf and a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel which is exceptional for what it is - not exceptionally dear, 51.4% and Japanese.

Also in the "to be finished" pile is a bottle of Laphroig QA which is interesting - has all the front punch of Laphroig but none of the later tastes really. Probably due to being rather young.

I keep picking up the Nikka everytime I'm in the airport and then putting it back down. Must get it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Been focusing on the low end of the market recently. NAS Tyrconnel is not a patch on the 10 yo stuff, very grassy and young.

Crested Ten is going for 28 euro in Tesco right now, picked up a bottle. For me it is serious value for money, particular relative to a lot of the pot still brands Jameson are pushing at the moment.

Speaking of which I got a gift pack of mini bottles of Redbrest12, Green Spot, Powers Johns Lane and Midelton Barry Crockett. Having never had the Johns Lane or Crockett, I was impressed by the Powers and dissappointed by the Midelton.

Redbrest was the pick still, and would be my go to in that price range (although the Powers JL is a great spicy whiskey, and very different to redbreast).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Switching between a Laphroaig 18 and Lagavulin 16, as well as a Highland Park 18 and a Hibiki Harmony blend. Want to pick up something from a sherry cask this month (maybe a Balvenie 15). Picked up a Teeling single malt last week, but I haven't opened it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Heading to Japan in 6 weeks or so. What should I be bringing back?

RasTa wrote: »
    Heading to Japan in 6 weeks or so. What should I be bringing back?

I had a bottle of Nikka Taketsuru 17 before the xmas, one of the nicest whiskeys I've had in a long time. Can recommend that if you can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

am half way through a bottle of Tomatin 12yr.
    someone regifted it to me at the christmas house party.

Extremly smooth, prob due to sherry finishing, gorgeous spice aftertaste.

Highly recommended, (especially if you can get it for free!!!! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Picked up the Teelings Single Malt recently.

It is nice, just not sure it deserves the hype its been getting.

For in or around the same price you can get Green Spot / Redbreast 12 / Powers John Lane which in my eyes all 3 blows the Teeling out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Crested Ten is going for 28 euro in Tesco right now, picked up a bottle. For me it is serious value for money, particular relative to a lot of the pot still brands Jameson are pushing at the moment.

I agree.

CT is a great whiskey for the price.

I pay 4.00 in pubs.

It was 30 in DS at Xmas, so 24 after vouchers. Great deal.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Picked up the Teelings Single Malt recently.

It is nice, just not sure it deserves the hype its been getting.

For in or around the same price you can get Green Spot / Redbreast 12 / Powers John Lane which in my eyes all 3 blows the Teeling out of the water.

I tried it for the first time this weekend. It grew on me, slightly too sweet for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Going between
    Teelings single malt
    Jameson black barrel
    Green spot

Have to get into scotch yet, have been told to try some speysides

Have unopened Jim Beam and Jim Beam maple too but I'll leave then be for now

Try a Glendronach. Lovely scotch to start off with imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Loving the greenspot at the moment and for something a wee bit different iv been having the odd talisker 10 year, very peaty but i like the different contrast

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm also sipping a Jura Superstition.

It's lightly peated so it's a bit smokey but not much.

Quite spicy and I get a very heavy pepper off it, put a bit more water than usual in to lighten it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Teeling single grain - on special at O'Briens for 40€ - beautifully smooth whiskey in my view . May pick up another before the price goes back up .

Just finished off a bottle of Power's 12 year old - nice Xmas present :) - lasted well .

Cardhu 12 year old
    Lovely taste
    On offer in Dunnes for €45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yellow Spot, Powers John Lane, Redbreast 21 recently. All in danger of running out I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Finishing off a few bottles to make room.

Greenspot chateau leoville barton - that will be replaced immediately.
    Powers Signature Release - this is nice but will probably go for the 12 next.
    Jonnie Walker Black - Got it for 40 quid on sale, big let down but still drinkable.

Picked up a bottle of Yellow spot on Friday for €70 in O'Briens might not open it until I get moved into my new house whenever that may be.

Alos been kidding myself for a month. Thought I'd picked up a bottle of teelings single malt.. Its single grain, still a lovely smooth whiskey and almost half finished. Might pick up another bottle when I can afford whiskeys again..

Or I've cleared the backlog of
    Jameson Black Barrell
    Cardhu 12 yo
    Green Spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I didn't realise how much whiskey Id accumulated til I moved into a new place and laid it all out :P

Have a Redbreast 15 YO and Powers Johns Lane that Im dipping in and out of at home at the moment. Love the whole Redbreast range, theyre just great. Johns Lane with a couple of cubes of ice in it on a Friday evening is excellent too

Friend was in Midleton distillery in February and got me a Jameson Black Barrel Cask Strength (59% abv I think). Its absolutely lovely (altho regular Black Barrel is a favourite of mine, so not surprising), had 2 drinks of it, trying to make it last tho!

Have Teelings single malt which I think is alright but wont be rushing out to get more... I didn't like the single grain. I had Tyrconnel single malt in that new whiskey bar in Killarney that Celtic Whiskey Shop own over the weekend and liked it, so Ill get that or Tullamore single malt (someone here recommended it) next time Im looking for a single malt, unless someone can recommend another one?

Flex wrote: »
    I didn't realise how much whiskey Id accumulated til I moved into a new place and laid it all out :P

Have a Redbreast 15 YO and Powers Johns Lane that Im dipping in and out of at home at the moment. Love the whole Redbreast range, theyre just great. Johns Lane with a couple of cubes of ice in it on a Friday evening is excellent too

Friend was in Midleton distillery in February and got me a Jameson Black Barrel Cask Strength (59% abv I think). Its absolutely lovely (altho regular Black Barrel is a favourite of mine, so not surprising), had 2 drinks of it, trying to make it last tho!

Have Teelings single malt which I think is alright but wont be rushing out to get more... I didn't like the single grain. I had Tyrconnel single malt in that new whiskey bar in Killarney that Celtic Whiskey Shop own over the weekend and liked it, so Ill get that or Tullamore single malt (someone here recommended it) next time Im looking for a single malt, unless someone can recommend another one?

Could do worse than try a Cardhu 12 year old
    Nice smooth single malt..

I'm sure the more experienced drinkers will have better advice for you on single malts as I'm new to this whisky/ whiskey thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The standard single malt is beautiful and better than the 12 IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Distilled by Carlow distillery that does Writers Tears.

All current stock is Cooley-made for both those products.

Bought a Yellow Spot with the intent of some Good Friday sacrilege and havne't opened it yet. :o

Hurry up and open the Yellow Spot - its glorious.

Bought a Yellow Spot with the intent of some Good Friday sacrilege and havne't opened it yet. :o

I got one two weeks ago, will open when I move into my new house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The Irishman single malts are from Bushmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Had a glass of Teelings Single Malt last night in the newly opened T O'Brennan's

with a small drop of water I found it a lovely smooth drink with a nice scent and flavour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Didnt know that. Have they moved production facility then or just using extra space in Cooley temporarily?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement