Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New housing developments in Maynooth

• 29-02-2016 11:58am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as this got a lot of discussion on the "new shop" thread I thought it might be worth having a thread for it

There's more stuff either in planning or under construction than there has been since the boom; some new some older plans that are extended or close to expiring

Under Construction:

Hayfield - currently 2 and 3 beds, opposite Esso - hayfield.ie
    Lime Tree Hall - 4 and 5 beds, opposite Old Tesco - http://www.daft.ie/kildare/new-homes-for-sale/lime-tree-hall-development-dublin-road-maynooth-kildare-55306/
    There are still new units being built at Moyglare Hall and Newtown Hall

Planning:

Planning files can be viewed on here - numbers are the file number http://kildare.ie/Countycouncil/OnlineServices/Onlineplanningenquiries/

34 2/3/4 beds on the old Pitch and Putt site - 16/167 - not granted yet
    210 2/3/4 beds behind Lidl - refused but appealed to ABP - 15/200
    126 3/4 beds behind the Educate Together, further info requested - 15/263
    141 3/4 beds opposite New Tesco (other side of the boreen to Lime Tree Hall) - 09/246 (granted/extended to 2019)
    151 2/3 beds opposite halting site / Baptist church - 09/8 (granted/extended to 2020)
    83 1/2 bed apartments beside the RC church - 04/767 (granted/extended to September 2016)
    100 1/2/3/4 bed apartments/houses/student accommodation beside/behind the Divine Word missionaries - this has probably expired

"Castlepark II", 14/637 was refused by ABP; but I fully expect a further plan here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'd love one for North Kildare actually, I imagine a lot of people are like me in that i'm looking at Kilcock, Leixlip, Maynooth and Celbridge to buy a house. The info above is brilliant for Maynooth. I would have huge issues with what the traffic will be like in Maynooth though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

sale or rent? if its rent I guess they will be 2800 euros a month so nobody will be able to move in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Has anyone heard anything on the new builds out on the Celbridge road in Maynooth? They still haven't had anyone move into them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Asmooh wrote: »
    sale or rent? if its rent I guess they will be 2800 euros a month so nobody will be able to move in anyway.

I would imagine all the houses are being sold and it is very unlikely they'll go to rental quickly. 3 beds are more like 1500 a month, though.

When the college's new student accomodation blocks are finished and if the private sector one opposite the Roost gets built I would imagine a price drop in private rentals in Maynooth due to a major demand shift; particularly at the low end.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Has anyone heard anything on the new builds out on the Celbridge road in Maynooth? They still haven't had anyone move into them

I drive past them a bit and I have seen a car come and go from 1 of them but no others. The asking price is crazy.
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/ard-na-gr-ine-celbridge-rd-maynooth-co-kildare/3242515

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Asking prices have gone a bit nuts again. Another level from Castlepark's final phase.

450k for a 4 bed semi in parklands. Decent house but looks like rented house beside it and hear students are causing hassle in area at night.

550k for the detached in Limetree across from tesco. This has no extra lounge/office and master bedroom is in the attic. Can't compare that to castlepark for rooms or location.

I know we need the ring road but, long term, a new motorway entrance on the Kilcock road is needed to facilitate the college.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

when we were buying 6 years ago,houses in Parklands were in that price range too but I found them small for the price. I do love the lay out and the look of the houses though.

L1011 wrote: »
    I would imagine all the houses are being sold and it is very unlikely they'll go to rental quickly. 3 beds are more like 1500 a month, though.

When the college's new student accomodation blocks are finished and if the private sector one opposite the Roost gets built I would imagine a price drop in private rentals in Maynooth due to a major demand shift; particularly at the low end.

Are you sure because in leixlip a old house is already around 1600+ a month

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you sure because in leixlip a old house is already around 1600+ a month

Check Daft etc. Leixlip is closer to Dublin and has a superior bus service.

Check Daft etc. Leixlip is closer to Dublin and has a superior bus service.

it only takes 3 minutes less with the train? :)

• Advertisement

it only takes 3 minutes less with the train? :)

10 to Confey. 15 on a bus, of which there are more (and the 66a/b are quicker than the 67s Maynooth has)

As a proportion of the journey that's quite significant.

10 to Confey. 15 on a bus, of which there are more (and the 66a/b are quicker than the 67s Maynooth has)

As a proportion of the journey that's quite significant.
    I understand, my stop is Leixlip Louisa Bridge and I missed the stop once because I was talking too much. Only takes a few minutes

Hmm.. indeed 10 minutes according to irishrail.. but why would 10 minutes be worth so much extra money?

I understand, my stop is Leixlip Louisa Bridge and I missed the stop once because I was talking too much. Only takes a few minutes

Hmm.. indeed 10 minutes according to irishrail.. but why would 10 minutes be worth so much extra money?

80 hours a year.

80 hours a year.

lol... if people think like that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Rathkenny

The hoarding around the new road into Moyglare Hall was down this morning. I don't think the road is open yet but it looks imminent. I'm sure it will make a huge difference to the residents there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

That'll only be for access to the new houses built near that entrance. Won't be open to the rest of the estate until all the houses are built back as far as the currently occupied houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I drove through Maynooth this morning and the number of new housing units is crazy. Are three bed houses a thing of the past in Maynooth? Four or five bed seems to be the norm nowadays. Traffic in the town centre is going to be a nightmare.

There's enough supply of 2&3 in the town. And, anyway, these 5 beds are really just attic conversions.

I viewed Moyglare Hall's 5 bed semi out of interest. It's a small 4bed semi with attic conversion. Detached same layout. Nothing compared to previous semi's that had an extra room to the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

ixus wrote: »
    There's enough supply of 2&3 in the town.

Where is the supply of 2 & 3 beds in the town?

Lyreen apartments (above Manor Mills)
    Apartment complex across from Manor Mills
    Apartment block on Moyglare Road
    2's & 3's in Moyglare Hall
    Charter House
    2 bed apartment complex on back lanes of main street on both sides.
    2 bed apt complex on Dublin Road before bus stop.
    Glenroyal Hotel apartment complex.
    Apartment complex across from Glenroyal
    Straffan Wood
    Griffith Rath
    Newtown Hall
    Apt complex after Parsons St.

That's off the top of my head. Does not include college supply that is present and due to come online soon.

The town needs more family supply of 4's &5's.

• Advertisement

Permission gone in to change the apartment block at Hayfield from 4x 2 bed and 1x 3 bed to 6x 2 and 2x 1 - file 16/248

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

Hi, any sign of starting of new site further from Tesco? Is it not late for Nama already?

Cairn coming to Maynooth:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/cairn-homes-makes-project-clear-transfers-buys-new-site-1.2572381

" and a six acre site at Moyglare in Maynooth.
    In a separate transaction, Cairn said it had contracted to acquire an additional site adjacent to the Moyglare site from York Capital, at a cost of €27 million.
    “We are delighted to announce the first site transfers under our Project Clear loan-to-own strategy, just three weeks after Cairn assumed all rights and obligations associated with this portfolio. The separate Maynooth site acquisition adds value to the adjoining Project Clear asset, creating potential for one of the largest developments in Maynooth, a key student and Dublin commuter belt community, as well as a prime location for foreign direct investment into Ireland,” said Cairn chief executive Michael Stanley."

http://m.independent.ie/business/cairn-homes-completes-first-asset-transfer-under-project-clear-34537848.html

"Cairn acquired the site from York Capital at a cost of €27m. The company says the acquisition creates the potential for a 430-unit housing development in addition to a 500-bed student accommodation scheme.
    Cairn Homes chief executive Michael Stanley said the firm was "delighted" with the first site transfers under the loan-to-own strategy.
    "The separate Maynooth site acquisition adds value to the adjoining Project Clear asset, creating potential for one of the largest developments in Maynooth, a key student and Dublin commuter belt community, as well as a prime location for foreign direct investment into Ireland," Mr Stanley said."

I'm not sure which sites these are - unlike NAMA sites, Ulster Bank never made it too obvious what they held.

I can't see anything north of the Main Street getting planning permission before the Meath arc of the ringroad is built (discussed on its thread)

Maynooth University Plan linked inside this page:

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/alumni-office/events/maynooth-university-announces-public-consultation-dates-campus-master-plan-0

Consultation open to public in April. They're looking to go from circa 11k to 16k students within next ten years.

I'm quite concerned about the lack of planning fornthe future of the town. It is going to be a mess in a short period of time. The proposed ring road will be overrun quite quickly.

Need a second access point from the M50 on Laragh road and possibly train station terminating in the college south campus in the long run. Followed by a continuation of the ring road around Moyglare and college to Laragh.

On the flip side, I worry about a Limerick & Dell type scenario with Intel in the future.

I'm not sure which sites these are - unlike NAMA sites, Ulster Bank never made it too obvious what they held.

I can't see anything north of the Main Street getting planning permission before the Meath arc of the ringroad is built (discussed on its thread)

And there was me thinking you knew everything! I' be guessing it's beside Moyglare Hall around the ring road.

And there was me thinking you knew everything! I' be guessing it's beside Moyglare Hall around the ring road.

Nobody applied for planning on them yet :pac:
    On the flip side, I worry about a Limerick & Dell type scenario with Intel in the future.

Dell was very low end manufacturing and quite easy to move (eventually Dell even sold the new factory in Poland to an outsourcer). Intels isn't low end at all, requires more infrastructure than available in some cheaper locations, and would be cripplingly expensive to move.

They have one low cost economy plant, in China, making last-generation or older kit; everything else is still done in expensive countries (US, Ireland, Israel). Packaging and other low end stuff hasn't been done here in decades.

Would it be the land on Kairos? That makes sense. Other outlier is around Moyglare Abbey but I'd call Kairos.

• Advertisement

The divine wor(l?)d did at least look at selling stuff off

Advertisement