Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Big Intel developments. 12k jobs or, 11% of staff globally. They're going to ficus on the cloud and internet of BS (i mean things). Take 2/400 highly paid engineers out of area and prices will fall. No news on locations as of yet. I think i posted in other thread previous that Israeli's were going home without replacement.

I heard the Cairn purchase was part Satchwell land and Divine World.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

ixus wrote: »
    Big Intel developments. 12k jobs or, 11% of staff globally. They're going to ficus on the cloud and internet of BS (i mean things). Take 2/400 highly paid engineers out of area and prices will fall. No news on locations as of yet. I think i posted in other thread previous that Israeli's were going home without replacement.

I heard the Cairn purchase was part Satchwell land and Divine World.

Yeah the Israelis were never going to be replaced, they were here to learn/ teach and it's finished now. My husband does those kind of moves all the time, no one replaces him when he leaves, he's done his job and either moves back to base in ireland or we move to train another group somewhere else.

Regarding redundancies, apparently fabs aren't going to be shutdown thankfully, so it'll go the standard route of voluntary redundancy and early retirement, low performers and groups involuntary redundancy. They might close some small sites/companies that they've bought in the last 10 yrs that aren't performing too.
    As ever it's not as easy/cheap to get rid of an irish employee as it is in other countries such as the U.S. but we'll see how it pans out over the next week

A few chunky drops in last two days.

Leinster park 840 to 799.
    Rockfield has had two drops from original 459(i think) to 429k.
    Castledawson 420 to 399k.

Vendors or EA's really had gotten ahead of themselves. Lots of supply except in the 4/5 bed detached estate market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lemonylemons

We're looking at the Hayfield houses..

We've only been around Maynooth a handful of times, but it looks like a really lovely town.. Is there anything we should know? Found a few posts from a few years back about antisocial behavior and that.. I know there are always going to be the few bad eggs in every town, but just wanted check anyway.

I know it's a studenty town, but would there be much noise down close to Hayfield?

As well, anyone know what the traffic is like going towards Dublin? I think it's probably a good thing that the development is close to the motorway and we can avoid a lot of the traffic going through the town.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only estate that near Hayfield is Straffan Wood which has very few students. Its the estates of large 1970s-early 90s 3 and 4 bed houses that have the major student populations and pretty much all the anti-social behaviour is from students. This should die out as more dedicated student accommodation is built - many student rentals are being turned back to family homes.

Currently - there will be traffic lights going in and the traffic survey has started today - turning right off the road that Hayfield is on is an absolute nightmare in the mornings.

• Advertisement

Anti~social is at a minimum in the town in my experience. I haven't been around the chipper at 2am in years though!

You might have issues with students if estate was full of them but i wouldn't expect that of a new development. And they wouldn't really be passing you at night.

Traffic to Dublin is a bit of a general Q. Saying that, it's the same as anywhere, brutal after 7:15 to 9:30 and 5-6:30

Thanks L1011 and ixus, good to know that antisocial behavior isn't really a huge problem. It's what we thought, but good to know for sure.

We'd probably be most concerned about Palmerstown through to Heuston area for traffic. Drove out to Maynooth from Smithfield the other evening after work (leaving at 6), and got there in 25mins, so not sure if that was the norm, or if we just got lucky.

Used to drive it a lot. I would be in work before 7am. 25mins to IFSC area. Bus lanes from roundabout at South circular road in are free before 7.

After 7:15, it's a lottery. Plenty of choke points and accident potential.

After 9:30, you're generally grand. Up the Quays bus lanes are free from 10-12 after a few hundred metres if you watch the signs.

Leaving. Out by 4:35 is grand generally. Hitting traffic after 4:50 is a lottery again until after 6:30 i think.

Warning for plenty of speed cameras on the way in and out. Heading in, once off the motorway, there's a speed van that works its way into chapelizod bypass and back out. Every few hundred metres. Nastiest spot is leaving town, coming off chapelizod bypass and entering 60kph zone where petrol station on your left.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ixus wrote: »
    Used to drive it a lot. I would be in work before 7am. 25mins to IFSC area. Bus lanes from roundabout at South circular road in are free before 7.

After 7:15, it's a lottery. Plenty of choke points and accident potential.

After 9:30, you're generally grand. Up the Quays bus lanes are free from 10-12 after a few hundred metres if you watch the signs.

Leaving. Out by 4:35 is grand generally. Hitting traffic after 4:50 is a lottery again until after 6:30 i think.

Warning for plenty of speed cameras on the way in and out. Heading in, once off the motorway, there's a speed van that works its way into chapelizod bypass and back out. Every few hundred metres. Nastiest spot is leaving town, coming off chapelizod bypass and entering 60kph zone where petrol station on your left.

I think traffic is worse slightly earlier these day but it will ease up a bit for the summer.

Loads of speed cameras on this route OP.
    I leave maynooth at 6:30ish and go as far as the m50 no issues with traffic most mosrnings. 30 mins later and it's a still bearable. After 7:30 good luck to ya, you'll be in a queue from woodys lucan to the lights after the m50.

I guess we better get used to getting into work super early. Thanks for the info folks!

• Advertisement

Job cuts at Intel coming to Ireland accorsing to Irish Times. Details next week. Anyone hear any numbers? Worrying times for the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Apparently the emailed staff to say there would be cuts and they would be told on Tuesday. Way to **** with all their bank holiday weekends. Harsh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is horrible to leave people in the lurch like that:(
    Hopefully it will be voluntary redundancies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

NAMA licence site down from Tesco has basic site clearance and some signs up now

Viewed the 5bed detached in Limetree out of being nosey.

Shocking that they're askimg 550k for what you get. All rooms are tiny, how it is +1700sqft beats me. Designer of showhouse should find another job. Layout horrendous.

Castlepark detached worth another 100k in comparison and I slated those prices through the years...

You have to view them to know I'm not being snobbish here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Agreed, and viewed as I know someone who was considering them. That person is not interested having viewed them. First 5 bed detached I've seen without a second sitting room. And did you spot the tiny single beds? Looked like a cot mattress

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

L1011 wrote: »
    NAMA licence site down from Tesco has basic site clearance and some signs up now

Saw it too, any link for detail of plan ?

The planning file details are in post 1

L1011 wrote: »
    Planning files can be viewed on here - numbers are the file number http://kildare.ie/Countycouncil/OnlineServices/Onlineplanningenquiries/

34 2/3/4 beds on the old Pitch and Putt site - 16/167 - not granted yet
    210 2/3/4 beds behind Lidl - refused but appealed to ABP - 15/200
    126 3/4 beds behind the Educate Together, further info requested - 15/263
    141 3/4 beds opposite New Tesco (other side of the boreen to Lime Tree Hall) - 09/246 (granted/extended to 2019)
    151 2/3 beds opposite halting site / Baptist church - 09/8 (granted/extended to 2020)
    83 1/2 bed apartments beside the RC church - 04/767 (granted/extended to September 2016)
    100 1/2/3/4 bed apartments/houses/student accommodation beside/behind the Divine Word missionaries - this has probably expired

To update on these

16/167 - Further Info request by the council primarily about traffic and
    drainage/flooding
    15/200 - appeal refused, primarily about flooding but also houses opening on to the ring road (my personal huge concern with it)
    15/263 - withdrawn
    09/246 - no activity
    09/8 - Site clearance has started, name to be "Carton Wood" according to planning docs
    04/767 - no activity, I would imagine this is going to expire.

The withdrawn/refused ones will inevitably have revised plans in future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

might as well ask here:
    who owns the derelict house/land next to the Garda station? where the Xmas trees are sold from. I can't remember it being anything other than boarded-up in the last 15 years....

• Advertisement

might as well ask here:
    who owns the derelict house/land next to the Garda station? where the Xmas trees are sold from. I can't remember it being anything other than boarded-up in the last 15 years....

File 16/238, 117 bed student accommodation and 2 retail units planned for that site wrapping around the empty site beside the former credit union / internet cafe. Involves restoring the house, which was the home of Domhnall Ua Buachalla the last Governor General, rising participant, TD, etc and had the hardware store where Londis on the main street now is.

I would assume the planning applicant is the owner, seems to be a nordie property firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

thanks!
    I had been thinking about how it's a prime location for student accommodation alright.
    117 seems quite a lot but I suppose there's plenty of room hidden away on that bit around the back.

As posted on the Maynooth facebook page, Lime Tree Hall has employed an 'interesting' location for the text box on its aerial photo of the site:

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p296x100/13450150_10153701818247253_6498992184264413857_n.jpg?oh=3fe2de2da280b56e411cb27185b7841d&oe=5800D196

They've put it directly over the halting site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

That's hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That is brilliant lol.

Also went to the viewing on Sunday and concur. Tiny gardens, awful layouts and definitely not worth the money IMO

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I see on the property price register -
    29/04/2016 €519,000.00 3 Ard na Greine, Celbridge Road, Maynooth
    20/04/2016 €528,634.36 2 Ard Na Greine, Celbridge Road, Maynooth

That looks a bit more realistic then the 650k asking price.

Those are ex VAT. Add 13.5%.

ah yes,VAT.
    Looking on myhome.ie at the moment and for the 1st time in ages there are actually a range of 4 + bed houses for sale in Maynooth.

There is such a variance in size for 4beds,1200 ft sq to over 2200.

They've knocked 25k of the 5 bed in Limetree, down to 525k. Others down too but don't know the spread. Obviously, a lot felt the same about the development as posts here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LiFeDa

Hey All,

Does anybody know who the contractors are for the new housing development across from Tesco, Maynooth. Not the Lime Tree Hall development, the new one to the right of it.

Thanks!

Advertisement