Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

pudzey101 wrote: »
    got my letter about going up €5 a month too today , and spotted in small print at the end " you can change or cancel your package at any time before 221 march 2016 without paying any penalty or cancellation fees" x2 they can f**k right off !!!!

That's the same for any price change. You can always cancel. I actually rang them and it should never have been sent out as I had agreed to a new contract in the meantime. She said to ignore the letter.

The guy I have on the phone is adamant that nobody gets half price deals with 360MB connections. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Got a call from them last night, currently on 120mb broadband and phone €45 per month. He offered me upgrade to 240mb for €50 with first 4 months half price on a 12 month contract. I said NO it was too expensive and he just told me OK we will proceed with your cancelling your services and hung up.

Do you think they will come back with a better offer or will I need to call and haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

4 months half price is the best i can seem to get out of them by threatening to cancel , how are you guys getting 4 months plus from them :) ?

ps im on 120mb , tv and phone coming in at 75 a month !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Got a call from them last night, currently on 120mb broadband and phone €45 per month. He offered me upgrade to 240mb for €50 with first 4 months half price on a 12 month contract. I said NO it was too expensive and he just told me OK we will proceed with your cancelling your services and hung up.

Do you think they will come back with a better offer or will I need to call and haggle.

Sent you a pm

• Advertisement

4 months half price is the best i can seem to get out of them by threatening to cancel , how are you guys getting 4 months plus from them :) ?

ps im on 120mb , tv and phone coming in at 75 a month !!

I settled for 4 months half price. This guy was only offering €10 off for 6 months at the start, and only because i'm such a 'loyal customer'.

In the end I basically let him have the sale, because he was a nice guy and I legitimately thought I wasn't going to get a better deal out of him, even if other people seem to have got lucky.

Really couldn't be bothered calling again chasing it up, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Basil3 wrote: »
    I settled for 4 months half price. This guy was only offering €10 off for 6 months at the start, and only because i'm such a 'loyal customer'.

In the end I basically let him have the sale, because he was a nice guy and I legitimately thought I wasn't going to get a better deal out of him, even if other people seem to have got lucky.

Really couldn't be bothered calling again chasing it up, either.

actually with another phone call , best they can do is bump up the internet to 240mb with 4 months half price then 80 onwards :D i think if you keep ringing theyll give you better deals :)

actually with another phone call , best they can do is bump up the internet to 240mb with 4 months half price then 80 onwards :D i think if you keep ringing theyll give you better deals :)

Funnily enough, my guy was happy to give me half price 240Mb for 6 months straight off the bat. It's just the 360Mb he was hesitant on.

Also, he said that I get really good speeds where I am, and a lot of people that are getting better deals probably don't get near the advertised speed.

At the end of the day, I'm sure they're happy to give you a big discount if you still end up spending €500+ over the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So I wanted to cancel. Sold house, this is great as contract is not up till later on in year. No idea where moving yet

Ring up Virgin, go over the whole "we are sorry you are leaving etc, could you tell me why you are leaving"

Me; "have sold house and not got anything, also the houses I am looking into are not in virgin media support area"

Rep: "Ok we are sorry you are leaving, would there be anyone in the house that could take over account?"

Me: "No I sold the house, we are moving out"

Rep: "Is there anyone in the area that might want to take your account"

Me: "What????"

Do they expect me to walk around the neighbor asking randomers if they will take my virgin media account????

Very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Not sure if it has been posted already but judging by my new contract email, i have inadvertently entered into an 18 month contract.

Guy on the phone was adamant that it was a 12 month contract.

Extract from email;

Your Virgin Media bundle has a subscription contract for 12 months (or 18 on a discounted offer) and if you’ve added any premium channels the contract length for these is 30 days. You’ll see the monthly cost on your bill. But if you’d like to check out the terms and conditions of it, just visit us online at virginmedia.ie/terms

If the above is true, my 9 months half price ain't all its cracked up to be:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Not sure if it has been posted already but judging by my new contract email, i have inadvertently entered into an 18 month contract.

Extract from email;

Your Virgin Media bundle has a subscription contract for 12 months (or 18 on a discounted offer) and if you’ve added any premium channels the contract length for these is 30 days. You’ll see the monthly cost on your bill. But if you’d like to check out the terms and conditions of it, just visit us online at virginmedia.ie/terms

Yeh but in twelve months there will be another price increase and you'll be able to cancel/get another deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Does anyone not find it strange that every year at this time Virgin/UPC do the exact same thing and get everyone bolted into another 12 month contract.

Plus for me, who had UPC/Virgin for 5 years or so, the discount is getting smaller each year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

okidoki987 wrote: »

Don't think you can complain here. You're always going to pay a bit more due to economy of scale. We get some awesome speeds, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭jhansynk10

Extract from email;

The contract length for me was 12 months- I got the same offer. Suggest you get on to live chat and confirm with the agents, then save a transcript. That's what I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Current package of phone, 120mb broadband and TV, going up from 80 to 85.

Live chat offered me 240mb at 85 'best deal' available :rolleyes: got cancellation number and rang.

It went straight to loyalty, told them I was off to Eir as it was way cheaper, even over 2 years, she offered me the 240mb package half price for 4 months, I said it was still too dear and she came back with 6 months half price, repeated several times that it was for 12 month contract. Will confirm tomorrow but saved a few hundred hopefully. Was the first time I was genuinely ready to leave so think that helped a bit, but think it took less than 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Offered 6 months @ e25pcm and then e50pcm for 6 months for 240Mbit with phone.

Currently on the 120Mbit with phone @ e40pcm rising to 45pcm.

Although in the first few offers they didn't offer to upgrade the broadband - but I don't rate it as a real world useful upgrade tbh.

Think I'll take the above deal, 9 months seems to be off the table as this late stage :(

I had several calls and eventually sent through the cancellation email only to be called back with this offer - said I would think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Offered 6 months @ e25pcm and then e50pcm for 6 months for 240Mbit with phone.

Currently on the 120Mbit with phone @ e40pcm rising to 45pcm.

Although in the first few offers they didn't offer to upgrade the broadband - but I don't rate it as a real world useful upgrade tbh.

Think I'll take the above deal, 9 months seems to be off the table as this late stage :(

I had several calls and eventually sent through the cancellation email only to be called back with this offer - said I would think about it.
    Same scenario as me except i agrred to the new contract.
    After I thought about it I wasn't happy.
    Your locking yourself into an even higher price.
    Once you go to 240 mb there is no going back I tried and they weren't having it.
    I rang back and complained and they gave me 9 months half price instead of 6 but I stayed at 240 mb.
    Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am on their value pack tv, bb and phone. 60 per month moving to 65 per month.
    Call them yesterday and they tried to upgrade my service and cost to 80 per month!

Eventually I ended up with the same package, €20 for 4 months ->60 for 2 months ->65 for 6 months. Locked in to 12 month contract.

Thats 190 saving over the 12 months. Will see what the market is like then and decide what to do from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Just off the phone with loyalty, currently on 120mb broadband with basic tv and phone was offered half price for 4 months and then 2 months with another 5 off then up to 85 euro a month. I didn't accept that but the guy I was speaking with said that was the best he could offer.

I looked up an offer Eir have before I called, €25 for 6 months for TV, BB and phone going up to €77 after 6 months as well as offering €100 cashback, I had mentioned that I was considering switching hoping for something similar. Might try again later!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Was offered an exclusive deal for loyal customers of 4 months mobile :rolleyes:

Best offer he would give me in cancel the TV, 25 per month for 4 months, 45 for 2 months and then 50 for the rest. Told them I would think about it and was told to mention the offer in the cancellation email to get rid of the TV. Wouldnt give me 25 for 6 months.

Do I need to send the email before they'll start calling me with better offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm on 50mb broadband and home phone, I had to ring 3 times and go through cancellation process to point of arranging collection date for hardware before they'd offer me 6 months at 25 euro and 6 at 50. Annoyed i had to go through the hassle tbh and unless there's another contract breaking issues I'll be leaving once 12 months is up. Service gone to **** and 50 quid ain't worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Got six months for €25 and six months for €50.

It was the best deal I could get but I will wait to see how the billing goes as I had issues with UPC so I expect the same with VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭seklly

Is there a number I can dial now or at the weekend, or is it just Mon-Fri 9am to 6pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

seklly wrote: »
    Is there a number I can dial now or at the weekend, or is it just Mon-Fri 9am to 6pm?

I rang 1908 - I think they are open until 9pm Mon to Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭seklly

I rang 1908 - I think they are open until 9pm Mon to Fri

Thanks, I tried and they closed at 6. I completely forgot about this increase and I have until Sunday to dispute it!

Edit: Just rang loyalty on 1890 940 251 and got through, half price for 6 months, thanks Michael!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Isn't the Eir offer an 18 month contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Isn't the Eir offer an 18 month contract?

2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ash_

Rang them yesterday for the third time.

Got offered 40 for 6 and 50 for the rest 6 first. Then was offered 4 months half price and 50 for rest.

I emphasized the fact that I could simply cancel and ask someone else in the family to signup and get that same offer. I also made the point that this is 3rd year in a row that they are increasing price.

I was then offered 6 months half price and then 50 for rest. I asked is it possible to upgrade to 360 bundle and get 6 months half price and he said yeah.

I didn't push for 9 months as I was happy at this stage with 6 months half price for 360 bundle on a 12 month contract. I asked to send a confirmation email, but he said he cannot do that and that all calls are recorded.

Got notification from courier today that new modem is due delivery on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Menas wrote: »
    I am on their value pack tv, bb and phone. 60 per month moving to 65 per month.
    Call them yesterday and they tried to upgrade my service and cost to 80 per month!

Eventually I ended up with the same package, €20 for 4 months ->60 for 2 months ->65 for 6 months. Locked in to 12 month contract.

Thats 190 saving over the 12 months. Will see what the market is like then and decide what to do from there.

Keep an eye on your bill. I was on the same package last year but on a discounted rate of about €60 when I rang them. Got a similar offer as you. First bill was €20 as agreed, next jumped to €40. When I looked at my bill they had reset my package to the actual base price of €80 and then applied the discount, effectively negating any savings, costing me more in the long run and locking me into a contract that would revert to a higher price. They advised me that they couldn't apply a discount to an already discounted rate.

In the end had to arrange a new contract with a new deal that was also applied incorrectly almost every month. The price ended up being the same annual cost before I initiated the entire farce, albeit for a better service.

Advertisement