Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

started new contract on horizon max 240Mb. Finding the internet worse than the previous 120mb separate router and the horizon interface is horrible. I may invoke the 14 day cooling off period and go with eir and buy powerline adapters to extend the wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

I negotiated last month and got half price for 6 months, happy enough with that now I have gotten an email for increase of 5 euro. Will I have to renegotiate again? or will the just add the 5 euro to the deal. Really don't want to ring again. Has this happened to anyone else? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭jhansynk10

Rang them today and managed to get 50% off the horizon 360mb package for 9 months (€47.50) and 3 months at full price (€95). My reasoning is that by the time the offer is up, they'll try and push another increase so I'll just do the exact same thing. It's possible to get, you just have to keep pushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 scrumtum

Hi, has anyone got a number for an Irish Virgin representative?
    Have called 1908 4 times in last month and found it tough going to communicate with them. Keep talking the company spiel etc.
    Calls took ages, on hold etc. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Whats best Deal im likely to get with THREE rooms with basic tv one has recording and broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

faolteam wrote: »
    Whats best Deal im likely to get with THREE rooms with basic tv one has recording and broadband

Basic Tv as in the 17 channels no box?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

First offer, 4 months half price.
    Pushed and got 6 months half price.

Broadband, phone, TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭baldbear

The_B_Man wrote: »
    First offer, 4 months half price.
    Pushed and got 6 months half price.

Broadband, phone, TV.

What price was that?

Finally got upgraded to 240 mb, 2 mths free sky sports that works at €59 a month averaged out compared to the €64 a month previous deal they were offering with 120mb band.

Couldn't be arsed staying on the phone to haggled more because the stress of dealing with Manilla & their poor communication skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wikey

Is that with horizon?

I'm told that because I've had a six month discount I won't be offered another and that 4 months is maximum on offer.

Can anyone give me details of how long it takes to cancel. I presuming that I pay a month in advance? I'm just hoping to limit time without service if I switch to another provider?

Thanks for any info,

Wikey

baldbear wrote: »
    Finally got upgraded to 240 mb, 2 mths free sky sports that works at €59 a month averaged out compared to the €64 a month previous deal they were offering with 120mb band.

Couldn't be arsed staying on the phone to haggled more because the stress of dealing with Manilla & their poor communication skills.

• Advertisement

What price was that?

76 or something full price, so 38 half price roughly.

Wikey wrote: »
    Is that with horizon?

Thanks for any info,

Wikey

No not Horizon. I'd get a headache trying to contact them again & get horizon!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Caved in on the 4 months half price, they seemed to have marked my account with this as max offer, tried on 3 separate occasions last night with no joy, still they got me my new modem today, anyway if some lad from Manilla with the name of Mark answers hang up as he is the guy who wouldn't give me the 6 months!

No not Horizon. I'd get a headache trying to contact them again & get horizon!

Christ! Don't get a horizon box!!!!!!
    The worst decision i ever made was handing over the HD PVR box for the Horizon box. It's a definite downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

OMG.

Just spent 15 minutes talking listening to someone who, if talking was an Olympic Sport, would win Gold every time.
    Couldn't understand a word he was saying, he spoke too fast.
    After telling him I wasn't happy with the increase, he said he would "bump" me up to 240mb for €50 (was on 120mb).
    Told him no and he said "wait and I'll transfer you to 2nd loyalty.
    Got put through and eventually was offered 360mb and Mobile calls for €35 for 1st 4 months, €55 for next 2 and €60 for last 6 months.
    This included a loyalty bonus for being with them for so long.
    Said no and left, couldn't be bothered spending another 15 minutes listening to someone else reading a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

okidoki987 wrote: »
    OMG.

Just spent 15 minutes talking listening to someone who, if talking was an Olympic Sport, would win Gold every time.
    Couldn't understand a word he was saying, he spoke too fast.
    After telling him I wasn't happy with the increase, he said he would "bump" me up to 240mb for €50 (was on 120mb).
    Told him no and he said "wait and I'll transfer you to 2nd loyalty.
    Got put through and eventually was offered 360mb and Mobile calls for €35 for 1st 4 months, €55 for next 2 and €60 for last 6 months.
    This included a loyalty bonus for being with them for so long.
    Said no and left, couldn't be bothered spending another 15 minutes listening to someone else reading a script.
    Got offered that and turned it down, told them I was offered 30/6 and 60/6 for that package, took that as I couldn't bare talking to them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

I was just told that the don't do deals anymore since they changed to Virgin........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Joo0 wrote: »
    I was just told that the don't do deals anymore since they changed to Virgin........

Same here. I called them to only be informed that they can offer me 360MB instead of 240MB for the same money. I was with them only 4 months and maybe not long enough to get "loyalty" deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Christ! Don't get a horizon box!!!!!!
    The worst decision i ever made was handing over the HD PVR box for the Horizon box. It's a definite downgrade.

I went on the horizon trial about 2 years ago and hated it so much I left UPC completely for my TV. Can't believe they released it onto the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

I don't get what all this horizon box hating stuff is all about. I think it's actually quite good. The only minor inconvenience is that the WiFi router is integrated... so I can locate it middle & high in my house.
    Another thing I don't get is how impatient a lot of the folks on this thread seem to be with negotiating. You don't have to bother negotiating if you're happy to pay full price :-) Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BLUEYK wrote: »
    You can arrange for them to collect the old equipment at a later date to when they deliver the new modem. That's what I am doing. I am not risking them charging me for not returning the old modem.

Anyone else experience on this?

Be very careful- they took my Netgear DIR 965 as well as the Cisco router- when collecting. My wife was at home on her own- the courier guy refused to accept I had an agreement that the equipment would be collected later- and she had no idea what was ours, and what belonged to NTL. Now I've to try and figure how to get my wifi router back off them- there is a section who receive returned equipment- however, they're denying that they got it back.

Also- you're supposed to get a text message with a window for collection of the equipment- I got a message the previous evening from NTL advising I'd get one from the courier the next day- which also never arrived.

When I rang the courier company- they let on they didn't speak English.........

I'm only on week 1 of a new 12 month contract- and I'm regretting it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Rang yesterday. Got tru to manilla. Got a couple of duff offers but kept saying it was 6 months half price or I was off and after the customary long hold that's what I got on a new 12 month contract. (cancelled due to no decent offerings in Aug after countless years loyalty and only back with them on bb & phone since Nov)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Long story i was on 120 Meg and anytime phone going from 40 to 45.
    Got offered 4 months half price said no and sent cancellation mail.
    Got call back and upgrade to 240 Meg and 6 months half price and 50 full price.
    I accepted as was driving at the time and just wanted to get off the phone.
    Thought about it and realised they had increased my speed which I didn't need and long term I was going to pay an extra fiver a month on top of my new price.
    Rang back to complain and they said they could not put me back on the old package as its no longer available.
    I argued how this could be the case as I had the package after I got my increase.
    After 35 mins arguing and on hold they came back with 9 months half price but wouldn't budge on changing my speed back down to 120 and monthly cost back to 45.
    Accepted reluctantly 9 months half price and remaining 3 at 50.
    Hope this helps someone get a better deal and be wary of them sneaking an extra fiver onto your bill when offering a deal.

sector_000 wrote: »
    I don't get what all this horizon box hating stuff is all about. I think it's actually quite good..

The Horizon box is literally(not figuratively) the worst TV box I have ever used in terms of performance.The UI is laggy, the OS is unstable, the EPG is flaky.

Regularly, I'll press a button to perform an action, and that action won't happen. It's very unresponsive. It also has to be rebooted regularly. Sometimes twice in a row to just get internet.
    They keep shoehorning features onto the shaky foundations of the current software and its just getting worse. Case in point - ReplayTV.

Open your EPG. Move an hour forward, and then go back to the thing that its currently showing. On mine, the whole thing turns grey and mostly says "ReplayTV isn't available for this programme". This cascades down every channel so I actually can't see whats currently on, without exiting the EPG and going back in.

Feature wise, its grand. It has what you want. But it's like fitting a Ferrari with a Fiat Punto engine. Looks good but will be slow as ****! I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

Joo0 wrote: »

Not true. I got a deal yesterday for instance.

Upgrade to 240MB and half price for 6 months. Got through to a lad from Limerick on the 1890 number, he was grand to deal with. The whole call took less then 5 minutes.
    Initially he was only offering the upgrade, then he dropped the price to 70 Euro, then 4 months half price, I said if he could do 6 we'd have a deal...and he could!

Not the 9 months other got previously but happy enough with my lot.

How do people rate the Virgin Hub 3 (i.e. that beige Compal box that they're handing out- to those of us who don't take television from them.....?)

I'm finding the wifi cutting out badly- a lot of cross channel interference, and generally flakey performance.

I need to get my netgear back asap....... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭deep1

How do people rate the Virgin Hub 3 (i.e. that beige Compal box that they're handing out- to those of us who don't take television from them.....?)

I'm finding the wifi cutting out badly- a lot of cross channel interference, and generally flakey performance.

I got Compal from them, after lots of wifi issue with cisco and other router, dont have tv and still on 240 mbs.
    It is super, signal is brilliant all around the house now, no wifi issue anymore and dual band concurrently. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

When I rang the courier company- they let on they didn't speak English.......

Now that's some excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It went straight into bridge/modem mode, and has been grand so far with Airport Extremes and Cisco switch combo.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    It went straight into bridge/modem mode, and has been grand so far with Airport Extremes and Cisco switch combo.

Grand- I'm biting the bullet- its a pity there aren't any decent routers on special anywhere- I'm giving up on getting my Netgear kit back- I'm just going to buy whatever the hell I can find today.

By the way- the signal strength of the Compal is fine- its the way it keeps dropping the connection (and not allowing you to reconnect- for a random amount of time- after which it decides to behave again) alongside not always assigning an IP address to devices logging onto it- that are the issue.

I've tried all manner of different things- including a few interesting 40Mhz 5G connections- which threw up warning messages that I was potentially interfering with aviation radar lol........

May get a few powerline adaptors as a stopgap- if I can't find a decent router today.

Advertisement