Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is This An Example Of Racism Or Not?

Options
  • 23-02-2016 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

Is this racism?

The question is "when you see the word "white", what comes to mind?"

I'm not really sure. What's the purpose of such a video?

A lot of the answers seem kind of awful to be honest.

BUT a lot of people will argue that People Of Colour cannot be racist so maybe this video is making a lot of valid points and I'm just missing them?

I am white but when I listen to their answers I don't really feel like they are talking about me.

So what am I missing here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

orubiru wrote: »
    BUT a lot of people will argue that People Of Colour cannot be racist

These people are technically known as morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

This reminds me of that film where Anthony Hopkins was a person of colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

BUT a lot of people will argue that People Of Colour cannot be racist so maybe this video is making a lot of valid points and I'm just missing them?

I am white but when I listen to their answers I don't really feel like they are talking about me.

"People of colour" can be as racist as anybody else - why can they not be?

Regarding feeling white but not feel like they're talking about you, it's probably because you're (presumably) Irish, and the Irish didn't enslave any people or nations, hence your disconnect. Unfortunately those racist against white people don't take into account that not all white people (or their ancestors) had a part in slavery/abuse/discrimination etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"White is a way of Being." How true that is, how very true. We sort of waft around the place, like giant Soviet icebreakers of Privilege, crushing the despairing brown, red, even pinkish and occasionally kind of off-white, masses beneath our mighty cracker-ass bows. And while we do so, we cackle "Diplometic Immuniteeehhh!!" in that caricature villain South Efrican eccent, you know the one. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Racism is a term which can be overused, employed as a weapon to attack those with different opinions &/or experiences. I certainly wouldn't regard any of the people in this video as racist & got no impression that they viewed white people as automatically inferior. I'm not a huge fan of the concept of "privilege" used by a couple of them as it tends to be an enormously simplistic lens through which to view the world, ignoring other differences such as class. However, most seemed to understand that people's identities, particularly in a colonially constructed society such as the US or Australia can be extremely complex things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This video just proves that ignorance has no color preference.

"People from around the world", no, people from NYC, L.A. and Sydney.
    "People with different ethnic backgrounds" would be more accurate imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

that's one of the most buzzfeedy things buzzfeed have ever produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....am old and don't know of this "buzzfeed"....

strelok wrote: »
    that's one of the most buzzfeedy things buzzfeed have ever produced.

Naah, this is ultra high brow stuff compared to the sh1te they usually put out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

"People of colour" can be as racist as anybody else - why can they not be?

There are many people promoting a redefinition of racism (they often don't acknowledge that it's a redefinition in my experience) that racism is "discrimination/prejudice plus power" so "people of colour" cannot be racist because they are disadvantaged due to their demographic and don't wield the power to make their discrimination harmful. I think this is stupid for a variety of reasons.

1: most people (guess, but I'm sure it's accurate) do no agree with this definition. If you randomly asked people if non white people can be racist the vast majority would say yes. Redefining a word so that people don't agree on the definition is just making language less useful.

2: it excuses or minimises bad behaviour on the part of ethnic minorities for no good reason. If an Asian (for example) is discriminating based on race, using the redefinition you couldn't say "stop being a racist ****" because they can't be racist. Racism is obviously massively negative for society and victims of it. This has been recognised in recent decades so why give a get out clause to anyone who isn't white? There's no benefit.

3: ethnic minorities being racist towards other minorities or the ethnic majority can be very harmful independent of historical or demographically power structures and ethnic minorities can have more economic power than the ethnic majority in certain areas or industries. The ethnically Pakistani rape gangs operating in Britain engaged in racist behaviour and had more economic power than their white victims. Why not call their racist behaviour racist? Again, there's no benefit to that.

4: it's divisive. It's promoting a "one rule for us and another for them" mentality which is never going to be a good thing. I think is actually likely to lead to more racist attitudes among white people.

5: I know this was contained in a few of my points but: there's no benefit to it! There's no logical reason to redefine a word away from its accepted definition that everyone except some sociology students already agree on. If it's at odds with the definition contained in the most used dictionaries, and it's because the redefinition is out of step with general use rather than the dictionary being out of step, then it's not the definition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I think of that guy from breaking bad. Now as for black ... ugh Jack Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So what am I missing here?

You're missing the "white guilt" complex that videos like this are trying to promote.

It's not racist, it's just incredibly stupid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Typical buzzfeed fare. Most people when asked would probably think of the colour, and not go too far into that. Were they prompted to think further about it, maybe steer it towards race? These are very obviously the people on video that gave the "correct" answers they wanted anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Saying black people can be Racist is problematic and causes micro aggression.

This post is toxic. :eek: Stop triggering me!

Custardpi wrote: »
    This post is toxic. :eek: Stop triggering me!

Stop Toxic shaming !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Oh I say, I nearly choked on my crab claws looking at that ridiculous video, I'm out of breath, might have to put down this bottle of Veuve Clicqout champagne and get my butler to make up my Egyptian linen sheets so I can go upstairs to take a long nap, it's all just too much sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think the bigger problem is that I just clicked on a video and gave Buzzfeed 1 extra view.

Eurgh, feel so dirty!!

As for the video, I don't care about these carefully edited click-baiting pieces of cynical garbage, especially from Buzzfeed. It's only ever in these kinds of videos or the likes of The Guardian that I hear about my supposed privilege as a white male.

If someone was to say how privileged I was to my face they'd be told to fúck right off for making assumptions about someone they know absolutely zero about.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

"Can be" really? So you feel as though you're entitled to grant them permission to have such feelings? What other things are you generously going to allow marginalised groups to do?? Check your privilege man :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh I say, I nearly choked on my crab claws looking at that ridiculous video, I'm out of breath, might have to put down this bottle of Veuve Clicqout champagne and get my butler to make up my Egyptian linen sheets so I can go upstairs to take a long nap, it's all just too much sometimes.

Ha, I'm a white male I have all the privilege it's all mine it tell you ... All mine I'm not sharing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ha, I'm a white male I have all the privilege it's all mine it tell you ... All mine I'm not sharing it.

If there's anyone or anything running around with more privilege than me I want it caught and shot now. With a rather elegant old Purdey. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

General rule of thumb: if you have to wonder whether it's racism, or not...its probably not.

General rule of thumb: if you have to wonder whether it's racism, or not...its probably not.

No no, It's the other way around according to SJW's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Does remind me of the Limerick professor who came out with the whole Islamic phobia thing a few days back. Sayiing the government should make it a law to not fear Islam.

I know some Islamic guys who are dead sound and all that, I know others who think everyone not them is dirt.

I think stupidity and discrimination is in every race, religion color or creed.

allibastor wrote: »
    Does remind me of the Limerick professor who came out with the whole Islamic phobia thing a few days back. Sayiing the government should make it a law to not fear Islam.

I know some Islamic guys who are dead sound and all that, I know others who think everyone not them is dirt.

I think stupidity and discrimination is in every race, religion color or creed.

hahaha, Laws for phobias. I have a phobia of murder should that be illegal ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I feel like unless you're in the USA, this sort of video lacks any context and appears more insane than it actually is. In the USA, seeing as racism against black people is far, far, far more of a thing than it is here, saying black people can't be racist basically means "the kind of racism a white person might experience from a black person is so completely different from the racism black people experience from white people that even calling them the same thing is a bit inaccurate."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

^This

I'd agree 100% with this, viewing it from an Irish perspective just doesn't work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

andrew wrote: »
    I feel like unless you're in the USA, this sort of video lacks any context and appears more insane than it actually is. In the USA, seeing as racism against black people is far, far, far more of a thing than it is here, saying black people can't be racist basically means "the kind of racism a white person might experience from a black person is so completely different from the racism black people experience from white people that even calling them the same thing is a bit inaccurate."

the video was produced by buzzfeed australia

they don't mean it to be taken in an american context. if you're white, anywhere in the world, they're talking about you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

strelok wrote: »
    the video was produced by buzzfeed australia

they don't mean it to be taken in an american context. if you're white, anywhere in the world, they're talking about you.

Ah, can't watch the video atm, you see. In any case, I don't think it make any sense unless it's in the context of a country with a lot of institutionalized racism (which would probably include Australians, given the whole Aboriginal thing). I don't really see how it could possibly apply to a white person living in Japan, for example.

Advertisement