Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shamed for being Frugal

• 20-02-2016 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? My friend today shamed me by stating I was so stingy in front of another friend because of my money saving, frugal habits. I was so annoyed that I shot back that at least I'm not in credit card debt and so on. It got me thinking that now in future I have to 'hide' my fugal way off living because if I speak about it people will call me cheap or stingy. Its a horrible feeling not being able to live the lifestyle you want without being judged. Has anyone else had a similar experience and how they combated it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? My friend today shamed me by stating I was so stingy in front of another friend because of my money saving, frugal habits. I was so annoyed that I shot back that at least I'm not in credit card debt and so on. It got me thinking that now in future I have to 'hide' my fugal way off living because if I speak about it people will call me cheap or stingy. Its a horrible feeling not being able to live the lifestyle you want without being judged. Has anyone else had a similar experience and how they combated it?

Your friends should not be telling you how to live.
    You are who you are, if they don't like it then they know what they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

The rational part of my brain agrees with you but I can't help feeling a tad ashamed although I have no reason to but it's irrational and just need to 'shake the haters off'!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Live they way that makes you happy, you can't please everyone so just worry about yourself and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

What was the circumstances that your friend brought the subject up? Was it just out of the blue, or did something you were doing at the time seem to trigger it?

I have no issue at all with people being frugal, careful with money etc. in general, but I despise meanness. Sometimes the lines can get blurred between the two, like visiting someone's house and arriving one arm longer than the other, forgetting their round, never offering to pay for small things like a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You shouldn't worry about it unless you're being stingy towards them...that drives people insane

• Advertisement

Thanks Kleefar. I'm going to take that attitude with me in future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

What was the circumstances that your friend brought the subject up? Was it just out of the blue, or did something you were doing at the time seem to trigger it?

I have no issue at all with people being frugal, careful with money etc. in general, but I despise meanness. Sometimes the lines can get blurred between the two, like visiting someone's house and arriving one arm longer than the other, forgetting their round, never offering to pay for small things like a coffee.
    Yeah exactly. I'd certainly shame a friend if they never reciprocated a drink or whatever.

One example is donuts at work a few years back. There was one guy who always bought the really cheap nasty ones whilst everyone else on the team went to a nice bakery. He was mean.

Hi Spudman_2000 - thanks for the reply. I was saying that I was annoyed at having to pay a €20 administration charge from my GP who printed out a few pages I requested and it seemed to be a rip off in my eyes. I always arrive at a friends house with a little something if I'm invited over for coffee / lunch / dinner and I always pay my way when out dining etc...

Hi Spudman_2000 - thanks for the reply. I was saying that I was annoyed at having to pay a €20 administration charge from my GP who printed out a few pages I requested and it seemed to be a rip off in my eyes. I always arrive at a friends house with a little something if I'm invited over for coffee / lunch / dinner and I always pay my way when out dining etc...
    I wouldn't even class that as being frugal. What a ripoff. Your friend is a dick.

She was making fun of me also saying - would I be drying my teabags on the clothes line for the next days morning cup of tea. GRIP!!!! As if like, I don't even drink tea but that's besides the point.

• Advertisement

I wonder if its because I'm vocal in where I'm saving my money by being frugal in different scenarios and situations, like I'd have an envelope with coupons and discounts that I'd whip out if shopping etc

I wonder if its because I'm vocal in where I'm saving my money by being frugal in different scenarios and situations, like I'd have an envelope with coupons and discounts that I'd whip out if shopping etc
    Will I tell you something that will probably annoy the hell out of you?

I've literally got a stack of expired 10 euro Dunnes stores vouchers. I always leave them at home and forget about them.

Will I tell you something that will probably annoy the hell out of you?

I've literally got a stack of expired 10 euro Dunnes stores vouchers. I always leave them at home and forget about them.

Ahhh mate, seriously? You'd be saving a fortune if you just organised yourself better, shame they are going to waste and expiring on you. Maybe Dunnes would be sound and let you still use them if you wrote them a nice email? Works to be pleasant sometimes? Charm them lol

That is sort of interesting, as it wasn't something related to frugality that triggered the response from your friend, more of a complaint about the charge from the doctor.

Do you complain a lot about the cost of things etc.? Some people can get irritated listening to someone complaining if it happens a lot.

Just playing devil's advocate here OP, as we only have your side of the story. Everyone's friends are different, but in my experience, these things don't come up out of the blue.

That is sort of interesting, as it wasn't something related to frugality that triggered the response from your friend, more of a complaint about the charge from the doctor.

Do you complain a lot about the cost of things etc.? Some people can get irritated listening to someone complaining if it happens a lot.

Just playing devil's advocate here OP, as we only have your side of the story. Everyone's friends are different, but in my experience, these things don't come up out of the blue.

No wouldn't be a big complainer, hate people always moaning, like just get on with it, that was probably the first complaining I did in a long time but I am aware I am quite vocal on how I love being frugal and how I get a buzz when I get a discount or save money on something, that might be irking some people? I respect you playing devils advocate btw, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I get it all the time from my sister, think she's jealous to be honest, we got married last year, only had a small one as didn't want to get in debt for 1 day, bought an older reliable car, careful with our money, have no debt and that's how we want to keep it. She's always saying how stingy and tight I am even though I buy her things, always treat her children and always pay my own way.
    She's terrible with money so when she starts I always ask how much she owes now!

I get it all the time from my sister, think she's jealous to be honest, we got married last year, only had a small one as didn't want to get in debt for 1 day, bought an older reliable car, careful with our money, have no debt and that's how we want to keep it. She's always saying how stingy and tight I am even though I buy her things, always treat her children and always pay my own way.
    She's terrible with money so when she starts I always ask how much she owes now!

Fair play, must feel great being debt free. Judgmental attitudes, no need for them, she probably is jealous of your frugality. Love the way you do what suits you, like the smaller wedding and the old reliable car, who cares what the neighbours think!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can see both sides.

Before I got married I would spend like there was no tomorrow. If I had money at the end of the month left over, I spent it rather than save it.
    I had been working for years and lived from paycheck to paycheck. No savings, although I did have a mortgage and a car and bills all paid.

Since I got married to a person who was a whole lot more sensible with money, I can see the logic of actually having money free and in reserve. Don't feel awkward about that.

They're nothing great about being in debt to your eyeballs, strugglling to pay bills, hoping the washing machine doesn't brak or the price of oil doesn't rise. These are the sort of people who will mouth off in public but probably wish they were more like you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I'd be fairly similar to yourself, OP, in that I don't like spending money unless it's something I've really decided I want. However you might want to check out the stinge thread on AH and make sure you're not doing anything described there.

General no-nos would be:

Not getting your round in
    Not tipping/collecting the tip from the people you dine with and pocketing it!
    Bringing food/drink to someone's house and then taking what's left with you when you leave
    Refusing to do stuff with friends solely because it costs money

Possibly if you keep banging on about the subject of saving money the whole time, people might avoid you/take the mick because they're sick of hearing about it! I had a colleague who talked about nothing else but her upcoming wedding for six months, it got to the stage where I'd go out of my way to avoid walking past her office.

mid wrote: »
    I couldn't figure that out as if 'one arm was longer than the other', it would imply you are carrying something. Searched and found it should be 'One arm as long as the other'

Good to know you're not frugal with the pedanticism 😊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You married your sister?! ;)

I'm debt free too, can't even imagine the horror of owing money.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

No wouldn't be a big complainer, hate people always moaning, like just get on with it, that was probably the first complaining I did in a long time but I am aware I am quite vocal on how I love being frugal and how I get a buzz when I get a discount or save money on something, that might be irking some people? I respect you playing devils advocate btw, cheers.

I think this is the "trigger" that the other poster might be on to. If you're quite vocal about something especially if it seems to go against the norm (not that not being frugal should be the norm but anyway) then friends will probably slag you off over it.

I get the same from my friends occasionally for being a massive Taylor Swift fan! :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

5uspect wrote:
    You married your sister?!

Frightfully sorry didn't realise this was a thread with people who picked up on bad grammar and had both the time and inclination to point it out.....

Wilberto wrote: »
    I think this is the "trigger" that the other poster might be on to. If you're quite vocal about something especially if it seems to go against the norm (not that not being frugal should be the norm but anyway) then friends will probably slag you off over it.

I get the same from my friends occasionally for being a massive Taylor Swift fan! :D :pac:

Just need to keep all my frugality inside my head then as I can't express myself - sad really, well just not mention it as much, I need more frugal minded friends lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Just need to keep all my frugality inside my head then as I can't express myself - sad really, well just not mention it as much, I need more frugal minded friends lol

Not at all. Just be prepared and have plenty of comebacks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Somethings make sense to some people and don't to others.

I've a friend that makes roughly a grand per month more than me, yet is always rubbing pennies together in the week leading up to payday yet I can save a few hundred a month. I can't understand how he's in that situation, and he can't understand how I'm in mine.

If you are denying yourself what you want, or compromising what you like to the end of living frugally for the sake of living frugally, then you have a problem. If you are perfectly content and have the added bonus of no money issues, then you are in a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I feel this off people, amused by money saving ideas.
    Well darlings, you're thousands in the red and I'm thousands in the black.

I've never been in debt, I wouldn't be able to sleep. The credit card bills and defaults people get themselves into over needing material possessions. I don't have a bit of sympathy for your greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

PLL wrote: »
    I feel this off people, amused by money saving ideas.
    Well darlings, you're thousands in the red and I'm thousands in the black.

I've never been in debt, I wouldn't be able to sleep. The credit card bills and defaults people get themselves into over needing material possessions. I don't have a bit of sympathy for your greed.

I'm frugal but the condescending attitude of some frugal people does my head in. If people want to live their life in the red then so what? Just because you live your life the way you do doesn't mean everyone has to have the same ideals. I like to save and do, no need to harp on about it; it's akin to people pushing religion on you. We get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I think there is definitely a fine line between being frugal and mean. I am quite careful with money granted I would say I'm extremely frugal with it but I always save a good proportion of my earnings and think through potential purchases and don't throw around money wastefully. However I despise people who are mean not saying you are op I think you just struck a nerve with someone today.

But the people that give out about evenly splitting a meal because their's was €2 cheaper or the people that go to the cinema with friends and b!tch for the night about the price of the ticket that sort of thing is mean and not a likeable trait.

Something I've found is that if you simply don't talk about how you saved xyz or how expensive something is then no one will ever comment on your spending. The problem is people who are living week to week see it as bragging when you say you saved x and then call you mean even if your not more so to justify in their own heads why you have money and they don't.

So don't change your lifestyle op but simply don't comment on the price of things or you spending habits / deals you got / how much you've saved. Then no one will have any reason to call you mean or comment on the way you spend your money at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Frugality and thrift may just be careful budegetting: surely much better than running up debts you can't pay, and over-committing!

I am all in favour of economies: it keeps everyone happy when the budget is balanced and actually means MORE is left over for such pleasures as gifts for friends, treats, presents and gestures.

Not necessarily to be equated with stinginess at all: I get things from charity shops which actually counts as recycling, saves on landfill, while benefitting good causes...and saving me a few bob, what's not to love?

Don't pay any attention to your sneery pal, OP: They probably owe more than they can manage.

That being said, some of the other posters have made a good point: nobody likes a Scrooge who measures everything by its price tag: real value in this life isn't always about money!

Advertisement