Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1TB of free google Drive storage for 2 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't see anything about it only being for 2 years? The 2 year limit would be very offputting as if you did end up relying on that storage, it would eventually end up costing you loads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sounds like Microsoft Azure...

Free till you put all your stuff there then you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

cormie wrote: »
    I don't see anything about it only being for 2 years? The 2 year limit would be very offputting as if you did end up relying on that storage, it would eventually end up costing you loads.

Keep up the contributions and you keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I see 2 years mentioned in the comment thread on the link you mentioned, but nowhere in the description or in the video etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

The fact that it expires is confirmed on the Google Local Guides Help Page:

What happens to my files after the free storage expires?
    Your files will stay saved in your Google Drive. If you don't have any more storage space, you won't be able to add more files unless you remove files or buy storage.

https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/6345112?hl=en&ref_topic=6281797

I always think free online storage with an expiration date is a bit pointless, unless you have a particular need for short term storage that you aren't going to rely on afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Phibsboro wrote: »
    The fact that it expires is confirmed on the Google Local Guides Help Page:

What happens to my files after the free storage expires?
    Your files will stay saved in your Google Drive. If you don't have any more storage space, you won't be able to add more files unless you remove files or buy storage.

https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/6345112?hl=en&ref_topic=6281797

I always think free online storage with an expiration date is a bit pointless, unless you have a particular need for short term storage that you aren't going to rely on afterwards.

But that at least says your files will remain... surely that's the best possible outcome? You can still access/download and then move to whatever storage you like after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

But that at least says your files will remain... surely that's the best possible outcome? You can still access/download and then move to whatever storage you like after that.

Absolutely yes, and in fact something like this could be good for archival stuff. The problem is if you use it with your main drive account - that account becomes useless as day to day storage as you can't add anything until you get back down to your 15GB or whatever. So if have gotten used to having Drive as an embedded folder in Windows Explorer for example, it will be a major pain to have it frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

The data will remain on the account once the offer expires. However you can use Google Takeout to download your data if required.

Pricing for storage is outlined below. I use 100GB myself on my personal account. I also have unlimited storage account as it is Google for Education account that I received when in college.

Note: You may be charged local taxes or fees in addition to the prices listed. Google won’t charge any additional fees.

Screenshot.jpg?noCache=1455100684

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Decided to sign up.

Hopefully won't take too long to get the space, will update accordingly.

Cheers OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

200 points to reach level 4, did you just add photos and reviews. Adding and editing places is very time consuming and stuff gets stuck in review indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

2 years of 1TB cloud space is definitely more valuable than the time you need to spend to get 200 points, but what the heck.. I'll give it a try :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I have this a while. I didn't push myself and did a bit at a time so it took me about 4 weeks to reach the 200 points. An edit to a place you were at recently or regularly is usually instant if the owner hasn't claimed the business. Some are approved in a few hours while some can take over a week to approve. I'd say my average was 30% approved instantly, 30% less than a day, 30% 2-5 days and 10% more than 5 days. It didn't matter to me as I wasn't in a rush. After you reach the 200 points it can take a few days before you receive the email with a link to upgrade your storage for free.

I'll use it to transfer large files to people in work and then delete the files a few days later but still probably go nowhere near using all the storage. It's good to have and by the time it expires I'd expect the amount of storage offered for free to be increased from the current level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

edit.. why does boards.ie double post so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dudda wrote: »

PITA alright, but you can delete the double post
    They are still not right after the DDOS attack I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Dudda wrote: »

It's if you use the quick reply option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

AS1890 wrote: »
    The data will remain on the account once the offer expires. However you can use Google Takeout to download your data if required.

Pricing for storage is outlined below. I use 100GB myself on my personal account. I also have unlimited storage account as it is Google for Education account that I received when in college.

Note: You may be charged local taxes or fees in addition to the prices listed. Google won’t charge any additional fees.

Screenshot.jpg?noCache=1455100684

What's this google for education you speak of? Is it only in some colleges?

Okay I managed to get to level 2 now.

But I'm running out of petrol stations to review :rolleyes:

I've managed to get to level 3 now, it says I have the badge but it's not showing up on my reviews just yet.

I need 130 more points to get the storage and I'm genuinely running out of places I've visited to review haha! :pac:

Tips:
    If you click on the places you're reviewed in the maps app and scroll to the bottom it will says 'know this place?' if you click ok it will ask some basic questions. This is an way to add some point.

Its a point per edit so no incentive to add more than one thing per edit. An easy one it so add phone number to local businesses or web addresses.

I got about 2/3 of my points by adding web addresses to chain stores, government departments, co-ops, that way you can paste the same address into tons of places quickly.

I got to level 4 but I reckon in total it took 3-4 hours but I did add about 20 places which is time consuming.

Tips:
    If you click on the places you're reviewed in the maps app and scroll to the bottom it will says 'know this place?' if you click ok it will ask some basic questions. This is an way to add some point.

Its a point per edit so no incentive to add more than one thing per edit. An easy one it so add phone number to local businesses or web addresses.

I got about 2/3 of my points by adding web addresses to chain stores, government departments, co-ops, that way you can paste the same address into tons of places quickly.

I got to level 4 but I reckon in total it took 3-4 hours but I did add about 20 places which is time consuming.
    Very nice!

Have ye already gotten the extra storage added to your account or are ye still waiting for the email? Let us know how like it took?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

If I go into "Manage Location History" the option is turned on but it doesnt find any of the locations I have visited. Does it mean I have to search for places on the actual map?

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    If I go into "Manage Location History" the option is turned on but it doesnt find any of the locations I have visited. Does it mean I have to search for places on the actual map?

You can still review places even if you've never been. Reviews/edits just seem to pop up faster when you've been to the place.

10 points away from Level 4 now! Jaysus these last few points have been so slow to get

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

How do you check how many points you're on?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    How do you check how many points you're on?

Open the maps app and click your contributions on the left menu.

I'm finally level 4 now!

Will let ya know when I get the 1TB upgrade, up to 5wk wait though, eep!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Niemoj wrote: »
    I'm finally level 4 now!

Will let ya know when I get the 1TB upgrade, up to 5wk wait though, eep!

Google Local Guide here, it will take some time to get the free space, but don't expect to get it if your reviews were one liners or things like: "ok place" - "good service", or if you don't know the place.

You will also get a gift from google every year and some other small things, which i don't have the liberty to say thanks to NDA, but I can promise you that it is all well worth your time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

tnethacker wrote: »
    Google Local Guide here, it will take some time to get the free space, but don't expect to get it if your reviews were one liners or things like: "ok place" - "good service", or if you don't know the place.

You will also get a gift from google every year and some other small things, which i don't have the liberty to say thanks to NDA, but I can promise you that it is all well worth your time :)

Does someone review your contributions before you get the space? I figured they just checked them before each point was added to your score, since it takes a day for the score to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

McGaggs wrote: »
    Does someone review your contributions before you get the space? I figured they just checked them before each point was added to your score, since it takes a day for the score to update.

Yes, your stuff gets checked up. It might sometimes take even a week to get stuff sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement