Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutritional myths masquerading as fact.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My pet hate is people who read an article out of the US, say, and assume it applies in an Irish context, when the reality is that the food industry over there, from farm to plate, is *extremely* different to here, for both meat and fruit & veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My pet hate is people who read an article out of the US, say, and assume it applies in an Irish context, when the reality is that the food industry over there, from farm to plate, is *extremely* different to here, for both meat and fruit & veg.

This! GTFO with your hormones in milk and grass-fed beef bollocks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rawn wrote: »
    Do you chew your fruit to smoothie consistency?? :pac:

The fibre hasnt gone anywhere, its still there and still needs to be broken down to be absorbed into your blood. A smoothie isnt like drinking a juice, it still has everything that the raw ingredients had, unlike a juice.

In any case, the difference between chewing a banana versus "Drinking" a blended one is minimal from an absorption point of view.

Telling everyone that its not is just another nutritional myth, so you are contributing to the problem by spreading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

GreeBo wrote: »
    The fibre hasnt gone anywhere, its still there and still needs to be broken down to be absorbed into your blood. A smoothie isnt like drinking a juice, it still has everything that the raw ingredients had, unlike a juice.

In any case, the difference between chewing a banana versus "Drinking" a blended one is minimal from an absorption point of view.

Telling everyone that its not is just another nutritional myth, so you are contributing to the problem by spreading it.

The problem is that the fructose is no longer bound between the fibre structures and is more bio-available and thus enters the blood stream almost as quickly as with juice or other sugary drinks.

A smoothie is not a meal. Its much more similar to a desert or treat and should be treated like that, as in eating it very rarely. I find it hard to believe an adult would eat no fruit whatsoever.

Why is it not a meal exactly?
    What nutritional aspect is it missing that would make it a meal in your eyes?

Can I assume that MRE's and the food that we ship over to Africa and is consumed by astronauts are also not a meal in your eyes, since they are not in solid form?

• Advertisement

Dolbert wrote:
    This! GTFO with your hormones in milk and grass-fed beef bollocks

"Where can I get grass-fed beef/butter in Ireland???"

Every time it comes up in F&D/C&R I headdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I think they just mean that your average smoothie doesn't provide a broad range of nutrients. I.e.. they're all sugar, fibre (and a good few vitamins etc.) But don't provide much in the way of complex carbs, protein or fat.

Of course, it all depend on what you're juicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Can I assume that MRE's and the food that we ship over to Africa and is consumed by astronauts are also not a meal in your eyes, since they are not in solid form?

Sorry I don't know what MRE's are. The main factor that would make it not a meal is that it's liquid with no fibre and not very likely to fill you up in the same way normal solid food does. I don't really see a reason for liquidising your food, it seems pointless to me.

That's not really the point though, the main point is that they are not really that great to eat on a regular basis and certainly should not be considered very healthy due to the amount of sugar and that liquid does not act in the same way food does to fill you up and you are likely to eat more calories.

Sorry I don't know what MRE's are. The main factor that would make it not a meal is that it's liquid with no fibre and not very likely to fill you up in the same way normal solid food does. I don't really see a reason for liquidising your food, it seems pointless to me.

That's not really the point though, the main point is that they are not really that great to eat on a regular basis and certainly should not be considered very healthy due to the amount of sugar and that liquid does not act in the same way food does to fill you up and you are likely to eat more calories.

They are food rations typically used by soldiers and they are often blended and dried.

A smoothie is NOT a juice.

Where do you think all the fibre is going? Just becuase its blended its still fibre. My smoothies are full of fibre!
    A smoothie will fill you up, if you make it properly.
    If its very liquid then obviously it wont, but then you are not making it properly.
    a well made smoothie is VERY healthy and a perfectly filling and nutritious meal. A smoothie doesnt create sugar, you have the same amount of fructose in raw fruit as you do from that same fruit added to a smoothie.

"liquid does not act in the same way as food"?
    There is food in the bloody smoothie!

Like I said in my earlier post, its a meal, if you treat it like a dessert then expect dessert like results.

You are perpetuating more myths with this nonsense argument.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    I think they just mean that your average smoothie doesn't provide a broad range of nutrients. I.e.. they're all sugar, fibre (and a good few vitamins etc.) But don't provide much in the way of complex carbs, protein or fat.

Of course, it all depend on what you're juicing.

You cant use shop bought smoothies to dismiss the merits of a home made smoothie.

My daily smoothie has more nutrients than I could get from any other meal for the same effort.
    Bananas, Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Milk, Water, various nut butters, flax seeds, kale, wheatgrass, oats, honey and various other bits and pieces. Its thick and very filling.

Its about 450 calories and can keep me going until 2pm if I need it to.
    It takes 5 mins to make and less to clear up and can be eaten on the go.

And its NOT juicing! Juicing to TOTALLY different from making a smoothie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

My daily smoothie has more nutrients than I could get from any other meal for the same effort.
    Bananas, Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Milk, Water, various nut butters, flax seeds, kale, wheatgrass, oats, honey and various other bits and pieces. Its thick and very filling.

Sounds tasty, I can see why you drink it. '
    '

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

And like I said, what do you want from it? It's food, it gives you energy, it doesn't harm you in the process, isn't that what a food is supposed to do?

So pretty ordinary in nutritional terms but if you like it then fair enough. Prefer a Bounty myself (in moderation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

My smoothie every morning is as follows

350ml milk
    1 banana
    Handful frozen raspberries
    1 scoop Vanilla protein
    2 spoons of granola

Consumed at 7:30 and satisfied until 12:30.
    It is a meal as it replaces breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

Tigger wrote: »
    It's all about calories for weight loss or gain but the type of food you consume to get those calories is also important
    Eat nothing but rashers and see how you feel

Well, technically, it *is* all about calories when talking purely in terms of weight gain/loss. The side effects (or straight up health devastation) caused by the foods you use to obtain those calories will actually have no impact on your weight gain. If you did as you suggested, and ate a lot of rashers to gain weight, you would feel horrible and have terrible problems health-wise, but you'd still gain just as much *weight* as someone eating the equivalent calorie portion of celery.

Practically, you are right that it's best to watch what you eat, basing it on more than the calorie density or whatever, but scientifically weight gain is caused by a surplus of energy from calories over what your body used up (and nothing else, bar hormones and minor exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

The idea that all calories are the same is one of the stranger ones that is still widely believed for some mad reason.

??? Can you explain? A calorie is a way of measuring energy. So yes all calories are the same....
    Do you mean that people forget to think about the nutritional value of the food their calories come from?

bmurph16 wrote: »
    the zika virus is bs. its just the fact that monsanto gm foods dominate brazil

Could you cite your source? Back up this claim? Or are you just going to let it sit there like a really terribly researched opinion on an open forum?

inb4 naturalnews/mercola source

worded wrote: »
    Monsanto genetically engineered foods are dangerous
    Bees have been filmed dropping dead on contact with modified crops
    We are being poisoned

This 3 minute interview is excellent
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKw6YjqSfM

Yes, Monsanto decided that the best way to grow their thriving GE business was to poison its customers. Seriously, do people even bother thinking about these things for a few seconds? And the youtube link as a source just compounds the whole post. My word.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

My smoothie is bigger then yours.

Roselm wrote: »
    ??? Can you explain? A calorie is a way of measuring energy. So yes all calories are the same....
    Do you mean that people forget to think about the nutritional value of the food their calories come from?

If you consume 500 calories in the form of a soft drink it hits your blood stream quickly,you get an insulin surge, some of it is used to restore glycogen levels and the rest gets proceed as by your liver and stored as fat in muscles or in fat deposits under skin.

If you you eat fruits for the same calories only a fraction of it hits the blood stream quickly, the rest is bound in fibre structures and gets released a lot slower so you get a steady supply of fructose to the blood system, you don't get a sudden insulin surge telling your body to store it all as fat, and quite a lot of it never gets digested at all and passes out your pooper with the fibre it's bundled in.

Both are 500 calories, mostly from simple sugars, but the bio-availablity is massively different between the two.

If you consume 500 calories in the form of a soft drink it hits your blood stream quickly,you get an insulin surge, some of it is used to restore glycogen levels and the rest gets proceed as by your liver and stored as fat in muscles or in fat deposits under skin.

If you you eat fruits for the same calories only a fraction of it hits the blood stream quickly, the rest is bound in fibre structures and gets released a lot slower so you get a steady supply of fructose to the blood system, you don't get a sudden insulin surge telling your body to store it all as fat, and quite a lot of it never gets digested at all and passes out your pooper with the fibre it's bundled in.

Both are 500 calories, mostly from simple sugars, but the bio-availablity is massively different between the two.

Can you cite a peer-reviewed paper backing this up? I've never heard of this phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yeah it will be stored as fat. Then later when you need calories that the food ingested can't meet because it stored fat your body will burn it off because it still needs energy. Eating high GI food doesn't change how much you you're body needs to function.

• Advertisement

Can you cite a peer-reviewed paper backing this up? I've never heard of this phenomenon.

Just Google it. You shouldn't even have to, though. I would have assumed it was common sense to anyone with even Junior Cert Biology.

Just Google it. You shouldn't even have to, though. I would have assumed it was common sense to anyone with even Junior Cert Biology.

No need to be like that. If someone makes a claim, it's on them to back it up if they want people to take the claim seriously. 'Just google it' is also what conspiracy theorists and the like say when you question what they say, so that they don't have to go to the effort of finding a source (if it even exists). Surely you've seen the evidence that convinced you of your position, so why is it hard to share that knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Dial Hard wrote:

Insulin causes you to store more fat. Which will be burned off later when you require those calories that you didn't get from the carbohydrates you aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Whole fruits seem better
    Conclusion Our findings suggest the presence of heterogeneity in the associations between individual fruit consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes. Greater consumption of specific whole fruits, particularly blueberries, grapes, and apples, is significantly associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes, whereas greater consumption of fruit juice is associated with a higher risk

http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5001

No need to be like that. If someone makes a claim, it's on them to back it up if they want people to take the claim seriously. 'Just google it' is also what conspiracy theorists and the like say when you question what they say, so that they don't have to go to the effort of finding a source (if it even exists). Surely you've seen the evidence that convinced you of your position, so why is it hard to share that knowledge?

It's not a claim or a conspiracy theory, though; it's common knowledge that the bio-availability of various macros are affected by differing delivery systems.

If he was making some very obscure claim then, yes, I'd expect sources to back it up. But this is a bit like asking someone for peer-reviewed studies to prove that gravity exists.

It's not a claim or a conspiracy theory, though; it's common knowledge that the bio-availability of various macros are affected by differing delivery systems.

If he was making some very obscure claim then, yes, I'd expect sources to back it up. But this is a bit like asking someone for peer-reviewed studies to prove that gravity exists.

Maybe I should be more specific. I'd like the detail of the mechansim by which this process occurs. The reason I am skeptical is that it seems like a very inefficient body process to simply pass out (according to the other poster) much of the energy in a food source in our waste. Seeing as humans ate a lot of fibrous foods years ago, it would seem to be a tremendous waste of vital energy.

And if it isn't enough of an amount of energy being passed out to make a difference to our energy needs, then it won't make a difference to our weight in any significant way, either. You see where I'm coming from? Dietary mechanisms are well covered by the literature and it isn't an outrageous suggestion that there should be some empirical evidence to back up these assertions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

strelok wrote:
    well you can overdose on certain vitamins and minerals, not easy to do but possible.

Hypervitaminosis, (vitamins a and d, I think) from consuming excess amounts of fish liver oil - especially halibut liver oil.
    You wont get it from eating veg...
    Although kids went orange from sunni delight ,beta-carotene

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Maybe I should be more specific. I'd like the detail of the mechansim by which this process occurs. The reason I am skeptical is that it seems like a very inefficient body process to simply pass out (according to the other poster) much of the energy in a food source in our waste. Seeing as humans ate a lot of fibrous foods years ago, it would seem to be a tremendous waste of vital energy.

And if it isn't enough of an amount of energy being passed out to make a difference to our energy needs, then it won't make a difference to our weight in any significant way, either. You see where I'm coming from? Dietary mechanisms are well covered by the literature and it isn't an outrageous suggestion that there should be some empirical evidence to back up these assertions.

How about this.

We'll do a controlled study of two.

For 14 days we eat the same diet, tailored to our calorific needs but the same foods at the same times. But every day you consume 250 extra calories of just cola (little over half a litre per day) and I'll consume the extra 250 calories in whole fruits.

After the 2 weeks what do you think the outcomes will be?

As for studies, There's a massvie body of work from people like David S. Ludwig, Robert Lustig, Qi Sun and other experts in the area but I don't feel like logging into academic databases to search for them right now, maybe at work on monday if I remember, in the meantime here's Ludwig and Lustig's take on it in mainstream media.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?_r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They are food rations typically used by soldiers and they are often blended and dried.

A smoothie is NOT a juice.

Where do you think all the fibre is going? Just becuase its blended its still fibre. My smoothies are full of fibre!
    A smoothie will fill you up, if you make it properly.
    If its very liquid then obviously it wont, but then you are not making it properly.
    a well made smoothie is VERY healthy and a perfectly filling and nutritious meal. A smoothie doesnt create sugar, you have the same amount of fructose in raw fruit as you do from that same fruit added to a smoothie.

"liquid does not act in the same way as food"?
    There is food in the bloody smoothie!

Like I said in my earlier post, its a meal, if you treat it like a dessert then expect dessert like results.

You are perpetuating more myths with this nonsense argument.

You cant use shop bought smoothies to dismiss the merits of a home made smoothie.

Its about 450 calories and can keep me going until 2pm if I need it to.
    It takes 5 mins to make and less to clear up and can be eaten on the go.

And its NOT juicing! Juicing to TOTALLY different from making a smoothie.

I am sorry I don't agree with you at all. I would much rather have the whole food and no honey with all that broken down fruit, I think fibre acts differently when blended. But if you like it,that's great.

Its a different opinion from you which does not make it nonsense. No need to be so rude because somebody thinks differently then you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How about this.

We'll do a controlled study of two.

For 14 days we eat the same diet, tailored to our calorific needs but the same foods at the same times. But every day you consume 250 extra calories of just cola (little over half a litre per day) and I'll consume the extra 250 calories in whole fruits.

After the 2 weeks what do you think the outcomes will be?

As for studies, There's a massvie body of work from people like David S. Ludwig, Robert Lustig, Qi Sun and other experts in the area but I don't feel like logging into academic databases to search for them right now, maybe at work on monday if I remember, in the meantime here's Ludwig and Lustig's take on it in mainstream media.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?_r=0

You've created a false dichotomy.

If it was just 250kcals extra each from carbohydrates and you controlled ALL other variables, you'd end up with the same outcome.

But in the real world, you'll struggle to JUST consume 250kcals of cola without there being a knock on effect from overconsumption (I'll just have another mouthful) or more unplanned calories (woah I've the taste of sweetness now, I'll have something else).

Only way this works is if you do it in a metabolic ward.

The primary reason why nutrient dense foods are better than highly processed foods when it comes to weight loss is that the overconsumption of the former is REALLY hard, as outlined by someone already using carrots and broccoli as an example.

It's great looking at the science behind it, and how it effects things in isolation, but we live in a complex environment where science meets behavioural psychology, and you simply cannot look at one and discount the other.

The "best" fat loss diet is the one that is easiest for someone to stick to. I don't give a **** if you figure out the perfect macro and micronutrient ratios, and optimal food sources for that. If you can't give it to a group of 100 people and a large proportion of them see success, it doesn't mean ****.

Advertisement